6 iron SS of 80...what is the proper iron flex?

I'm in the same ball park as you & I use regular flex(85 w/a 5 iron).I like a smooth feeling shaft that I know I don't have to "step on" to carry my yardage.I love Rifle & KBS in my irons.

Adams 9015D w/X con4,Ping G20 w/HD6& [color=#0000CD Mizuno JPX 900 5 & 7 woods,Mashie 3 & 4
Bridgestone J40 DPC’s & S3 Pro’s,Mizuno S7 54 & 58
[color=#FF0000]Bettinardi SS7, BC1,Ping Anser 1968 BeCu

Traditionally, that SS is more in the regular range than stiff. However, the end results are much more important than that kind of blind flex matching. Hit both, the one that feels and performs best (usually looking at constancy over distance for irons) is the one that's the best fit. Keep in mind, there is no "standard" flex rating so the answer could change based on the specific shaft model. Also the result doesn't have to be the same for all your clubs. e.g. one might find they like stiff iron shafts, regular hybrids and a senior flex driver shaft.

I have a SS of 75 with my 6 iron. About a year ago I finally changed from a stiff flex to regular, went with the Rifle 5.0's. Man that was the best golf decision I ever made. I never realized how smooth the club should feel through the hitting area until then. I am now hitting the KBS C-Taper regular and these are awesome shafts. I don't see how you could go wrong going with regular flex, especially if you have a smooth tempo.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I use stiff in my driver and woods/hybrids. Regular in my irons. My 6i goes 165ish. Smooth tempo. My driver SS=100. I am the longest hitter off the T in my regular group, but the shortest with the irons. Guess I really go after the driver, and really focus on control with the irons. Works for me, for the most part.

I would say you might be a R flex, but that is just a hunch.

Aerojet 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
ZX4 MKii 4i - Project X 5.5
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

The flex depends on the shaft which best matches the way you generate your 80 mph. I am sure you have read that shafts labeling is far from consistent, even between models from the same manufacturer. So if you are really smooth you might fit a Nippon 950 or KBS Tour 90 stiff and if you are not quite as smooth as you think and have a late release then you might fit Dynamic Gold or KBS C Taper regular.

The right shaft (length and lie) will certainly help you find the centre of the club face more often.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Lord Helmet' timestamp='1372336552' post='7333396']
I use stiff in my driver and woods/hybrids. Regular in my irons. My 6i goes 165ish. Smooth tempo. My driver SS=100.
[/quote]

This describes me as well. My controlled driver swing is about 95mph, and about 80 with the irons. If I push, I can hit 100. I play stiff woods and reg steel dynalite xp r300. Once I got the ego in check, the reg flex helped my iron game. Playing irregularly due to time constraints, but maintaining a 10 hc.

[size=3][color=#ff0000][b]I'm a business/recreational golfer with a 100 MPH driver swing speed, and a 10 HC.[/b][/color][/size]

[size=3]Ping K15, 9*, Motore F3 70s | [/size][size=3]Titleist 915F, 15*, Blue 70s | [/size]T[size=3]itleist 915H, 18*, Rogue 85Hs [/size][size=3]| [/size]T[size=3]itleist 816H2, 23*, [/size][size=3]Speeder HB8.8[/size]
[size=3]Callaway XR Pro 5-AW, Recoil 110 | [/size][size=3]Ping Glide 54*/SS, 58*/WS | [/size][size=3]Ping Scottsdale TR Shea H[/size]
[size=3]Golf Pride CP2 Pro Grips | [/size][size=3]Wilson Duo/Spin | [/size][size=3]Leupold GX-3i[/size]

I play Dynamic Gold S300's in my irons. My swing speed with my 6 iron is around 88-90MPH. I just find regular flex shafts are too "whippy". I play a lot of hockey from September to March and golf shafts are the same as my hockey sticks. I cannot stand hockey sticks that whip too much. They feel weak and feel as if they're going to break in my hand. It's the same in my golf clubs. I like that stiff feel.

I also like the ball flight I get from my S300's compared to regular flex shafts. Reg shafts tend to balloon in the air too much for me. S300's allow me to get a nice penetrating ball flight that does allow me to put balls in the air when I need too.

That's my two cents. I think you'll end up getting multiple opinions from people here. If it were me, I would play what felt right. That's one of the reasons I chose the S300 shafts.

I'm a 3 hdcp also relatively smooth tempo, feels like a "lazy practice swing" to me, with 83-85 mph with a 6i. I tested quit abit and have found regular flex much more comfortable for me ( i like to feel some whip/ shaft flex when loading? Describing a "feel" to me) with the exception of KBS tour stiffs and Nippon ns pro 950 gh stiff. All SS monitors recommended stiff. Shaft feel seems to be highly subjective. You might test for yourself.

Interestingly I play a stiff in my driver and fairway woods, couldn't hit them with any R flex shafts to save my life. SS is 1 very general guide to shaft flex. IMO it's simply a starting point in a journey to find what flex is for You.

• Like 1

Taylormade R1 Rip Phenom 65g
Callaway X 21* /Cobra Amp Cell 17*
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw KBS tour 120
Mizuno mp-t4 55* 60*
Taylormade Ghost Manta 34"
Bridgestone B330s

[quote name='dbogeyguy75' timestamp='1373631654' post='7438720']
[quote name='Lord Helmet' timestamp='1372336552' post='7333396']
I use stiff in my driver and woods/hybrids. Regular in my irons. My 6i goes 165ish. Smooth tempo. My driver SS=100.
[/quote]

This describes me as well. My controlled driver swing is about 95mph, and about 80 with the irons. If I push, I can hit 100. I play stiff woods and reg steel dynalite xp r300.
[/quote]

Exactly the same here.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='TitoKilla' timestamp='1373656551' post='7442310']
^^^ Exactly the same swing numbers and the Mizuno optimizer fit me into the Dynalite XP R300 as well. That shaft feels better to me than anything else I have played.
[/quote]

And again, exactly the same here. The KBS Tour in regular is also a near perfect fit for me.
Preferred driver shafts:
Diamana Blueboard 63 S
Fubuki Alpha 60 S
Aldila Voodoo SVS6

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

• 3 weeks later...

Been wondering about this myself. 80ss with 6i but really quick transition. I seem to like stiff as my tempo doesn't seem to "click" with the regular shafts, but then I have not tried rifle or upgraded shafts..... yet. Really curious about the project X 5.0 Reg. Time to experiment.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

[quote name='SPARKP' timestamp='1372335963' post='7333336']
I have a SS of 75 with my 6 iron. About a year ago I finally changed from a stiff flex to regular, went with the Rifle 5.0's. Man that was the best golf decision I ever made. I never realized how smooth the club should feel through the hitting area until then. I am now hitting the KBS C-Taper regular and these are awesome shafts. I don't see how you could go wrong going with regular flex, especially if you have a smooth tempo.
[/quote]

I use Rifle 5.0s in all my wedges but that is not a stiff shaft.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I use senior flex graphite SS about 104 with a 7 iron...I carry 280 with....just kidding.

About 83-87, not too horrid. I recent switched to ctaper lites...for my back. Light weight, stiff, not too whippy but been taking some getting used to from rifle 6.5 flighted.

I got fitted to ctapers in reg and another in stiff, and recoil in x stiff...came down to feel. Just like with my clubs I just found a few I liked, hit those, tried a few shafts from my fitting, found a couple I liked, tried those. Can be expensive trial and error so I bothered the hell outta the fitters and store guys until I felt comfortable. So far so good...Although those recoil I gained alot of SS and smash...sneaky graphite. One day, maybe when my driver goes less than 350...;)

PING G430 LST 10* Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50S

PING G430 LST 3Wd 16.0* Fujikura XLR8 61

PING iCrossover Ventus Blue HB 7R

PING i525 4-PW Mitsubishi OTi 105 Stiff

Edel 47* TRP/54* DVR/58* DVR KBS CTaper Lite 110 Stiff

PING PLD DZB Proto

• 4 weeks later...