2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Rounds with a Vintage Bag

Lane--- At my home course some of the regulars see me on the range come out--- not to see me hit balls but to see as one of the retirees puts it " WTH I have in the bag now?"

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Ha. Ha. Ho. No. The "All Junkyard Bag", a singular WITB. That would make heads roll in other venues of WRX'ville.

Heck Fella I had heads rolling that day with the Touron crowd. When we were at the bag drop one of them had seen the bag and asked if I actually was going to attempt to play with those clubs on that course. Those Precisions were rusty rusty then. I think I had a Hogan Cameo Equalizer and a rusty as crap Oil Can Vokey. The bag was a non- descript carry stand bag with one of the legs broken off and partially duct taped. I think that day I had a beat up Bulls Eye in the bag as well. Those guys played behind us so they saw. I remarked later that I played with a set of clubs I had less money in than they did one sleeve of Pro Vs they were knocking in the woods etc. That course is what I consider my second "home" course. I heard one of they bag drop guys tell one of them " there is no telling what he shows up with next"

I heard one of they bag drop guys tell one of them " there is no telling what he shows up with next" This is AWESOME! lol.

I like the term "vintage" - it fits the equipment and our mentality

Had a game set at 12:30 today but goofed up and thought they said 10:30. No problem, grabbed the second bag out of the trunk and walked a few holes with a guy I know and his 15 year old son to get warmed up. Had my green and white Jones classic carry bag, 1-3-5-7 Laminate Cobra Bafflers, 3-E Hogan Redlines, Hogan Special SW and Ray Cook Nugget 18 putter.

The son is a pretty good player...plays on the high school team. He thought my carry bag with no legs was pretty cool. I told him every high school and college team carried those old Jones bags, back in the day. He asked me a ton of questions about old clubs and old balls. He was very interested in why I hit the 3 wood and not the driver off the tee. Explained its because I can't find a ball that spins enough to get it airborne and carry as far as it should with the driver. The 3 wood actually goes farther for me. I think he enjoyed our physics lesson.

I was ripping that 3 wood today too. Drilled one from 175 into a 20mph wind on a par 3 and made birdie that made his jaw drop. I asked him if he wanted to hit a few with the wood heads but he turned me down. I'll catch him sometime on the range next spring and talk him into it. Always a good day when you can pass along a little slice of old school golf to the youngsters.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

• 3 weeks later...

Round with a Classic Bag...

Well, I have been playing my full on modern set since mid-October and had been playing well with them. That was not the case Friday I was out of sync and just really played like Sh_t! I knew I needed to shake things up so I went out today for my round with my wife with Stu's Reject Set ;) (aka the Snake Eyes S&W's.) First 3 holes were pretty rocky but then I got it going. Something about looking down at those thin topline blades just clicks for me. We had been joined at the first tee by a Father and Son. The son was a relatively new beginner. I actually think that me hacking it around the first 3 holes helped him be comfortable playing with us. By the time I got the switch flipped it was all good and neither were as intimidated as they might have been. Neither had ever seen anyone play pure blades. I was able to do a little coaching as the father was also relatively knew to the game but I just talked to his son and saw him listening in. By the turn I was just really striking it pure and was just enjoying that feeling. A great time was had by all and I plan to take Stu's Rejects out Christmas Day to play an afternoon round at the Colony West Champs Course...

https://www.colonywestgolfclub.com/golf

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Well, I have been playing my full on modern set since mid-October and had been playing well with them. That was not the case Friday I was out of sync and just really played like Sh_t! I knew I needed to shake things up so I went out today for my round with my wife with Stu's Reject Set ;) (aka the Snake Eyes S&W's.) First 3 holes were pretty rocky but then I got it going. Something about looking down at those thin topline blades just clicks for me. We had been joined at the first tee by a Father and Son. The son was a relatively new beginner. I actually think that me hacking it around the first 3 holes helped him be comfortable playing with us. By the time I got the switch flipped it was all good and neither were as intimidated as they might have been. Neither had ever seen anyone play pure blades. I was able to do a little coaching as the father was also relatively knew to the game but I just talked to his son and saw him listening in. By the turn I was just really striking it pure and was just enjoying that feeling. A great time was had by all and I plan to take Stu's Rejects out Christmas Day to play an afternoon round at the Colony West Champs Course...

https://www.colonywe...lfclub.com/golf

+1 You know they say "one mans junk is another man's treasure" not that I considered them junk--- Main thing is you are hitting them and loving them. Love the term "Stu Rejects" kinda like the cigars I smoke no joke are "factory throwouts" but I enjoy them. Glad you got those irons and gave them a good home. Made me glad I saved them
  • Like 1

https://www.colonywe...lfclub.com/golf

+1 You know they say "one mans junk is another man's treasure" not that I considered them junk--- Main thing is you are hitting them and loving them. Love the term "Stu Rejects" kinda like the cigars I smoke no joke are "factory throwouts" but I enjoy them. Glad you got those irons and gave them a good home. Made me glad I saved them

The most common reason for the rejection was the imperfection in the wrapping of the cigar, or the shape does not meet the std. If they're kept in proper temperature and humidity, nothing wrong with the factory reject.

IN fact some of the hand rolled cigars are not perfect by any means, even after the second or the third wraps.

• 2 months later...

Did something I haven’t done in “years” yesterday. Played 36 holes, lunch break in between.

Weather was a little dicey, no rain, but cool and damp, with about a club of wind that couldn’t beside from where it wanted to blow from.

Every approach shot played uphill, and all greens were elevated-some more than others. A hard to day to club. Left 3/4 of all approaches a club short.

But, great day nonetheless. Have decided to play the Buttonbacks as my regular set all year(when I’m not playing hickory) and, only carry 1 wood. The Powerbilt in my aviator.

Keeping the 1 iron in the bag and adding the wedge I got from Stu... the one bent to 53, and plastered with lead tape. It has performed well past expectations knocking the Wilson Dual out of the bag. Best 100 yard in club I’ve had in a long long time. Superb club to chip with...very crisp contact...

My highlight of the day was on the 2nd 18’s long par 3. Yardage measurement was 175 to the center. Back pin, elevated green and a bit of in your face wind, so I figure around 200-205 to play.

Quail high tight draw that moved about 2 yards and ended with a kick in. Best 2 iron I’ve hit in years.

The Citation was really good off the tee most of the day as well, with a couple that rival anything I could hit with a modern toaster.

Certainly makes one scratch head and reminisce about days gone by, but at the same time feel sad for the game of golf that it is not still played with blades and woods by all participating.

Did a head to head rest of two balls. The Wilson Duo U, and the TM project “a”

I give the nod to the “a” in a close race.

Off to do some stretching and loosing up now. The 36 in a day ain’t for sissy’s. I must be getting old!

Oh you gotta love it. Found a sorta blond Power Bilt driver on the pile last week. It is sorta a cross between the color of yours and the blonde beloved one I hit for years. Fiber insert too. It does have one scar on the crown and I think that may have occurred in transfer to the bins--- I think it is a "B" shaft--- I am letting my back heal up some before hitting it. Also letting the weather warm up too. I did get off early today and managed to sneak in 6 holes. The courses are full of tourons. I walked what is known as the Stu 6-- Holes 1 thru 4 then 8 and 9. Carried the recently acquired Jones bag and 12 clubs--- Played my old man's set in my signature

First persimmon/blades round of the year. I played my favourite Mizuno Blondie driver, a Honma 4w I picked up over winter, Mizuno 6w ("The Joker"), Hogan '72 Apexes, with a Ram SW, Ping Eye 2 L-wedge, and a Ping Dalehead Anser (1990s reissue).

Overall, the course wasn't in great condition as the grass is dormant right now. The fairways had no grass on them, and it was in fact easier to play from the rough. The bent grass greens were rolling pretty fast, but true. I putted like a dog as I couldn't get the pace of the greens all day. In fact, I broke a personal "best" for 3-putts: 8 times, 6 of which were on the front nine. Some of the pin positions were a bit challenging, but I didn't get the pace of the greens all day.

I didn't hit the ball very well today, but my last drive of the day was a beauty, which took away some of the bitter taste. I'm going to try an alternate between persimmon rounds and modern equipment rounds this year, and see how big the scoring differential is.

I took a couple of pictures, which I'll try to get up later.

Well this is unusual for me playing on a Sunday--- One of my co workers who is a part time driver and a great guy is going to have to get shoulder surgery. He will not be able to play for 6 months or so and he has never played with the other drivers. He put together a informal " Scrap Haulers Open"--- We have about 12 players all of us from different companies and I think a couple of stick ( log) haulers and freight haulers too from along our route. Strictly a fun event. I decided to play my 54 Precisions today along with since Richard mentioned it the other day my Hogan P-S-3 putter. The Precisions are light enough I do not think there will be any back issues for me. Besides I wanted to hit my old blades some. This is strictly a fun event. Of course I will have my modern metals and my Cleveland 47 Special wedge and the DJ Special Mac LRA wedge. But hey it is a fun event--- I may be hitting a 7 iron where they hit a 9 but who cares--- I am enhancing my fun

UPDATE--- If anyone cares--- Played the Precisions today and hit them well with NO back pain. Shot 80 on a windy wet tough course was pretty pleased. LOL ran into the deal on club selection with my co worker. He plays some newer CB Wilson Staffs and could not figure how I was out driving him 10 yards or more but hitting 2 clubs more with the irons. Had a great time and beat everyone. It so inspired me I went home and promptly put the MacHogans back in my bag. I did have the graphite KZGs in the truck just in case my back started.

UPDATE--- If anyone cares--- Played the Precisions today and hit them well with NO back pain. Shot 80 on a windy wet tough course was pretty pleased. LOL ran into the deal on club selection with my co worker. He plays some newer CB Wilson Staffs and could not figure how I was out driving him 10 yards or more but hitting 2 clubs more with the irons. Had a great time and beat everyone. It so inspired me I went home and promptly put the MacHogans back in my bag. I did have the graphite KZGs in the truck just in case my back started.

That's one of the funny things about playing with old irons.

One of my regular golfing mates, who took the game up quite late, had no idea about loft creep until I explained to him at the range why the 6i from an old iron set of mine was going the same distance as my new (blade) 7i. Then I got onto the joys and benefits of pitching wedges set around 50*...

Attaboy?fighting head cold, reading that made my day.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

A couple of pictures from my round the other day.

This is a short par 3. It was playing about 130y, I think. I hit either the Equalizer or 9i to within 15ft. And three-putted.

This is, I think, the 14th. It's a dogleg left, about 380yds, with a tricky second over water. I hit an OK 4w (Honma persimmon), and a decent 7i to the back centre. And three-putted.

And this is pretty much the bag I played, except I swapped out the VIP wedge for a RAM SW. Bad move, actually, as I left too big a gap between the Equalizer and SW.

It's nice to see this thread coming back to life again. It would seem there is an end to this madness called "winter" after all!

Consider yourself lucky to have a break, down here we are forced to play all year round.

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

This is a short par 3. It was playing about 130y, I think. I hit either the Equalizer or 9i to within 15ft. And three-putted.

This is, I think, the 14th. It's a dogleg left, about 380yds, with a tricky second over water. I hit an OK 4w (Honma persimmon), and a decent 7i to the back centre. And three-putted.

And this is pretty much the bag I played, except I swapped out the VIP wedge for a RAM SW. Bad move, actually, as I left too big a gap between the Equalizer and SW.

HMMM we need to find you a putter you putt with as good as you hit the vintage sticks

Attaboyfighting head cold, reading that made my day.

You know I am hard headed as heck. I told the wife the other day I would play my classic irons as long as I can. I think with diet and exercise along with my heated massage chair my back is ok now. Glad I made your day---- For me the classic clubs adds enjoyment

HMMM we need to find you a putter you putt with as good as you hit the vintage sticks

I was using a Ping Anser (90's reissue). I haven't used an Anser-type putter for a couple of years, and after that last round I don't think I will be using it again for another few years. 41 putts! In my defence, the greens were really tricky, and the hole positions were brutal. The hole on that par 3 I mentioned above was on such a slope that my first putt, which was uphill and breaking right, did a U-turn and rolled back down.

But I will be using my TaylorMade TPA XVIII next time. That's my go-to putter regardless of whether I'm using modern sticks or vintage.

• 4 weeks later...

Played 9 holes yesterday with persimmon and blades. I was trying out a "new" driver, a Honma LB300, for the first time. I can't say I hit it very well, but everything else was fine, including the Honma 4w. I only caught two well with the driver, and one of those was headed OB until it got a fortunate bounce back from a tree. The Muirfield putter was good, and I made some decent length putts. I did have two 3-putts, both on the par threes and both for double bogeys. However, the real stars were the irons: Wilson FG-J8s, about which the consensus here seemed to be that they are FG-17s for the Japanese market. First hole I hit a poor drive and left about 180 to the pin into a stiff breeze. I punched a 5i which rolled out to end up pin-high about 8ft from the hole. Holed the putt to start the round with a birdie. I soon got back over par when I hit my tee-shot on the par-5 second out of bounds...

Finished the round with a lovely 7i that pitched very close to the hole, though it just rolled off to the fringe. I ended up shooting a 5-over 41. Not bad for a windy day on a tight course (OB left and right on every hole).

uj7xf45cfbck.jpg

pybh80dxrjmz.jpg

• Like 1

Used the Honma persimmon and cl708 pro blades in the seniors Comp yesterday.

With driver hit 11/14 fairways and out drove my three paying partners on a couple . They were kinda shocked I was hitting so straight with all clubs although I did wind the driver back a bit on tighter holes.

I was hopeless on the four par fives with only one par primarily because I go from driver to five wood and with soggy fairways no roll. I will have to hunt for a matching three.

Irons fantastic but still stuffed if I can chip with them. I think I may by taking too long a backswing and on a par three with the 7 off the tee really felt bad contact I think due to teeing a tad to high

Off 14 played to 19 . Happy with that for first Comp.

**Tommix**

I just had a look at the specs for those Honma CL708 irons. They're quite strong for old blades, aren't they? 10i at 46*, 7i at 34*. In fact, they're pretty much the same as my modern Mizuno blades. Somewhat oddly, the 6i is 30*, then there's a 3* gap to the 5i (27*), then a 4* gap to the 4i (23*), then a 3* gap to the 20* 3i.

I've got a set of PP737 irons, which are cast mild steel like your CL708s. I find that strikes on the sweetspot are as good as any forged blade, but hit them slightly off and they're dead.

> @"No Catchy Nickname" said:

> **Tommix**

> I just had a look at the specs for those Honma CL708 irons. They're quite strong for old blades, aren't they? 10i at 46*, 7i at 34*. In fact, they're pretty much the same as my modern Mizuno blades. Somewhat oddly, the 6i is 30*, then there's a 3* gap to the 5i (27*), then a 4* gap to the 4i (23*), then a 3* gap to the 20* 3i.

> I've got a set of PP737 irons, which are cast mild steel like your CL708s. I find that strikes on the sweetspot are as good as any forged blade, but hit them slightly off and they're dead.

Boy where did you find the specs . I’ve been looking for ages.

Are you looking at the cl708 professionals or the cl708.

There’s the cl708 professionals, the cl708+2 professionals and the cl708

Your right about being slightly off . Can’t compare to Mizuno mp’s or Hogan apex

> @Tommix said:

> > @"No Catchy Nickname" said:

> > **Tommix**

> > I just had a look at the specs for those Honma CL708 irons. They're quite strong for old blades, aren't they? 10i at 46*, 7i at 34*. In fact, they're pretty much the same as my modern Mizuno blades. Somewhat oddly, the 6i is 30*, then there's a 3* gap to the 5i (27*), then a 4* gap to the 4i (23*), then a 3* gap to the 20* 3i.

> > I've got a set of PP737 irons, which are cast mild steel like your CL708s. I find that strikes on the sweetspot are as good as any forged blade, but hit them slightly off and they're dead.

> Boy where did you find the specs . I’ve been looking for ages.

> Are you looking at the cl708 professionals or the cl708.

> There’s the cl708 professionals, the cl708+2 professionals and the cl708

> Your right about being slightly off . Can’t compare to Mizuno mp’s or Hogan apex

>

>

I was looking at the CL708s with "Professional" stamped on the back, on this site: [honmagolf.co.jp/en/item/old/](http://www.honmagolf.co.jp/en/item/old/ "honmagolf.co.jp/en/item/old/"). Not sure if they're the same as the ones you have.

They also have specs for CL708 GD irons, but I can't find the +2s. Would the +2 refer to lofts being 2* stronger?

I swapped out my gamers this year opting for the Hogan Precisions over the Wilson Buttonbacks I used last year. Still keeping the Tommy Armour 653 3w and 4w and my modified Bullseye 35A heel-shafted putter. My gap and sand wedge are Hogan Special wedges @ 52* and 56* respectively. I make a nod to modernity with my Callaway RAZR driver. I do have a nice Jimmy Demeret driver in reserve along with the TA 653 driver.

I went with the Hogans this year because I like the slightly heavier feel. Helps me feel transition a bit better. Plus, mis-hits with the Precisions feel terrible but I don't suffer as much of a distance penalty as with the Buttonbacks. One of the brilliant design features of the Hogans.

19btf7yl5u1v.jpeg

8lnvf8b1ewsp.jpeg

> @"No Catchy Nickname" said:

> > @Tommix said:

> > > @"No Catchy Nickname" said:

> > > **Tommix**

> > > I just had a look at the specs for those Honma CL708 irons. They're quite strong for old blades, aren't they? 10i at 46*, 7i at 34*. In fact, they're pretty much the same as my modern Mizuno blades. Somewhat oddly, the 6i is 30*, then there's a 3* gap to the 5i (27*), then a 4* gap to the 4i (23*), then a 3* gap to the 20* 3i.

> > > I've got a set of PP737 irons, which are cast mild steel like your CL708s. I find that strikes on the sweetspot are as good as any forged blade, but hit them slightly off and they're dead.

> > Boy where did you find the specs . I’ve been looking for ages.

> > Are you looking at the cl708 professionals or the cl708.

> > There’s the cl708 professionals, the cl708+2 professionals and the cl708

> > Your right about being slightly off . Can’t compare to Mizuno mp’s or Hogan apex

> >

> >

>

> I was looking at the CL708s with "Professional" stamped on the back, on this site: [honmagolf.co.jp/en/item/old/](http://www.honmagolf.co.jp/en/item/old/ "honmagolf.co.jp/en/item/old/"). Not sure if they're the same as the ones you have.

>

> They also have specs for CL708 GD irons, but I can't find the +2s. Would the +2 refer to lofts being 2* stronger?

Wow, thanks so much for that .You know I’ve been to that site many many times over the years and never saw the “old clubs” section. They show the CL708 +2 picture for the CL708. Don’t know what the +2 stands for . Mine have the Green cloisonné . I’ll get the pro shop to check my 3 but I’m betting same. They put out a lot on irons each year.

I’ll have to try and find out what the cl,pp etc stands for and why they were so expensive even back then.

> @Tommix said:

> Wow, thanks so much for that .You know I’ve been to that site many many times over the years and never saw the “old clubs” section. They show the CL708 +2 picture for the CL708. Don’t know what the +2 stands for . Mine have the Green cloisonné . I’ll get the pro shop to check my 3 but I’m betting same. They put out a lot on irons each year.

> I’ll have to try and find out what the cl,pp etc stands for and why they were so expensive even back then.

>

>

Honma's pretty good about keeping their old club specs up. Possibly the best I've found, in fact.

I did once find out what "PP" stood for, but I'm afraid I've forgotten.

• 4 weeks later...

Took the Tony Penna TP2, MOD 2 ,lefty driver out today in the seniors Comp. for first hit.

A bit all over the place with low flight.. Compared to honma extra90 definitely heavier swing weight

but boy felt solid and well worth persevering with .Original grip stuffed so left at pro shop .

It’s got a graphite or carbon shaft with no markings but acted like an extra stiff or the like which is a bit stiff for me .

Does anyone know what loft it may be.

Thanks

Terry

Oh the pain the pain .

Took the Penna , honma extra 90 and my gamer ,Mizuno JPX. on course today to compare .

Mizuno JPX stiff shaft set up for 10.5 degrees and fade . Flight is always straight or mini draw mid/ high flight good roll.

Honma extra 90 has honma R1 shaft and closed face. I open it up a tad . Flight is dead straight great height provided I do full backswing

BUT No penetration ,where ball lands it stops.

Penna. Graphite shaft no markings . Club pro said “very firm “ sets up square Great penetration no slices or hooks but Dammed if I can get consistency on direction or height . I know if I can get it right it will be a gamer. Perhaps I’m trying too hard because of the shaft.

Next time only the Penna.

> @57Staff said:

> Plus, mis-hits with the Precisions feel terrible but I don't suffer as much of a distance penalty as with the Buttonbacks. One of the brilliant design features of the Hogans.

I agree. I find the Precisions to be very forgiving for a classic blade, especially on toe shots.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend