BBQ Fans

sTmGolfer

Right, I didnt mean immediately as in take it right off the smoker - but its far easier to shred after you cook it than a few days later if its in a fridge. Just IMO.

• Like 1

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

33 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

Right, I didnt mean immediately as in take it right off the smoker - but its far easier to shred after you cook it than a few days later if its in a fridge. Just IMO.

Yeah agree but i'd let it rest intact to keep moisture then shred.  SO basically it would rest for the 8-9hr trip down in a cooler then shred when i get to the house.  I guess i'll find out and report back.  I wish i had the traeger mini smoker for tailgating.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

3 hours ago, J13 said:

Yeah agree but i'd let it rest intact to keep moisture then shred.  SO basically it would rest for the 8-9hr trip down in a cooler then shred when i get to the house.  I guess i'll find out and report back.  I wish i had the traeger mini smoker for tailgating.  

for safety purposes that might be stretching it as meat should stay above 140 or not much lower for longer than an hour or two. you can get a couple extra hours if you first add boiling water to the cooler and let it heat up. then dump water and add double wrapped pork and cover with towels in the cooler. 

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

14 minutes ago, FairwaysToHeaven said:

for safety purposes that might be stretching it as meat should stay above 140 or not much lower for longer than an hour or two. you can get a couple extra hours if you first add boiling water to the cooler and let it heat up. then dump water and add double wrapped pork and cover with towels in the cooler. 

Good idea. The more i think about it the more i think it's best to make it before hand and pull it then refrigerate.  Then transport with ice in a cooler.  Easier to keep it cold than hot for that period of time.  Especially if we get delayed with traffic or something like that.

• Like 1

Edel PROTO

7 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

In my limited experience, letting it rest for 30+ minutes in a cooler makes it far easier to shred... great use for a yeti cooler if you have one.

Wrapped in foil/towels in a cooler I’ve heard of guys letting it sit this way 3-5hrs and still having nice warm pulled pork... 8hrs? Great question. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TIScape said:

Wrapped in foil/towels in a cooler I’ve heard of guys letting it sit this way 3-5hrs and still having nice warm pulled pork... 8hrs? Great question. 

Yeah, 8 hours would be a stretch... probably doable if you had a yeti type cooler, and filled it will boiling water before loading up the pork... Whether it's worth risking it is a different question.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Yeah it's not worth the risk in this situation.  The absolute last thing I want to do is give every food poisoning the first day in Myrtle lol.  I'm going to smoke the Pork Butt then pull it and wrap it and stick in the fridge. Then keep it on ice in a cooler along with the container of au jus then once down there I'll heat up with au jus to rehydrate it. Should be good to go and safe.

Edel PROTO

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, DavePelz4 said:

Well, we're waiting...for dinner! Don't be a tease!

Haha. I didn’t get a picture of the finished product and it’s gone! It came out ok. It had great bark and was delicious, but the flat was a little on the dry side. The point was perfect. Went to 200° IT but should have pulled it a few degrees sooner. Tuff piece of meat to get perfect considering the thinner, leaner flat and thicker, fattier point. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 1:58 AM, TiScape said:

Haha. I didn’t get a picture of the finished product and it’s gone! It came out ok. It had great bark and was delicious, but the flat was a little on the dry side. The point was perfect. Went to 200° IT but should have pulled it a few degrees sooner. Tuff piece of meat to get perfect considering the thinner, leaner flat and thicker, fattier point. 

If I get motivated, I’m going to continue my experiment I started last summer—picking up a full packer at Costco, separating the point and flat, and smoking them separately. Early results were good but it’s feels like sacrilege.

When I’m really lazy, I pick up just a flat and use this recipe. Has worked out exceedingly well.

Bacon-Smoked Brisket Flat

• Like 3

On 5/17/2021 at 1:58 AM, TiScape said:

I've only done brisket twice but its been hard for me to get both sides right. With BBQ though, there's almost no "wrong" way to do things. 

Costco has been a revelation in terms of meat products though, its where I buy all my smoker stuff now. I have a great old school local butcher for "single serve" stuff but for the heavy duty thinks like rib packs, butts etc - their meats are fantastic.

• Like 4

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

4 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

I've only done brisket twice but its been hard for me to get both sides right. With BBQ though, there's almost no "wrong" way to do things. 

Costco has been a revelation in terms of meat products though, its where I buy all my smoker stuff now. I have a great old school local butcher for "single serve" stuff but for the heavy duty thinks like rib packs, butts etc - their meats are fantastic.

Agreed on Costco meats.

Have you picked up their ribeye caps? I like to smoke them low & slow until close to final temp and then sear to finish off.

• Like 1

I havent done the ribeye caps but do want to try them. I have done their baby backs a bunch and just tried their st louis ribs. Def prefer the baby backs, we like to cook ours until they are fall off the bone and the baby backs were definitely a touch better.

Honestly the Costco ribs were better than the ribs I got at the local butcher and 1/3 the price.

• Like 1

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

For years I bought the pre-trimmed St. Louis and baby back ribs. Recently I went to buy a couple racks and all that were left were full un-trimmed spare ribs. Glad it happened! They are ~$7 less a pound and easy to trim into classics St. Louis. The quality of the rib has also been a lot better for me with the full spare over the pre-trimmed. I won’t be going back to pre-trimmed! 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TiScape said:

For years I bought the pre-trimmed St. Louis and baby back ribs. Recently I went to buy a couple racks and all that were left were full un-trimmed spare ribs. Glad it happened! They are ~$7 less a pound and easy to trim into classics St. Louis. I won’t be going back to pre-trimmed! 

Agreed. And then you get rib tips, too!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Costco here is about the only place where I can buy whole sets of ribs and hunks of beef for BBQ and roasting. Really glad to have one within walking distance (OK, it's a 20 minute walk, but still walkable).

Here's some I did recently. Did half with a sort of Tandoori-like dry rub, which worked out pretty well, and the other half just salt, pepper, and apple vinegar, which also worked out well. Smoked for 5 hours around 130*C, then a little higher at the end.

The chicken leg was also sublime. Smoked using an oak chunk, and some wild cherry chips for the last 2 hours.

1664164007_Ribsandveggies.jpg.a3d2cc6c94fb0ac8ce348f4030756e83.jpg1689545679_SpciyrIbscut.jpg.bfce2d641b80057f43528b211950d716.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone doing BBQ for Father's Day?

We're having my brother's family and my in-laws over on Sunday, so I'll be smoking a 12 1/2 lb brisket on the Big Joe. 

I realize it's the day that the family should be cooking for me, but my wife is making me al pastor tacos the night before and biscuits & gravy the morning of, so I think it's a fair trade 😉 

• Like 3

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

50 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

We're having my brother's family and my in-laws over on Sunday, so I'll be smoking a 12 1/2 lb brisket on the Big Joe. 

I realize it's the day that the family should be cooking for me, but my wife is making me al pastor tacos the night before and biscuits & gravy the morning of, so I think it's a fair trade 😉 

Sounds great! I hope you and your family enjoy the food and each other's company.

I'm going to smoke 1.5 inch thick bone-in pork chops and serve with roasted summer vegetables and a salad.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 9:29 AM, betarhoalphadelta said:

I have to put brisket on at ~4:30am if I want to to be ready close to 6pm. I’m far from a morning person, so that’s a hard no on Father’s Day for me! Haha

If I was to smoke something on Fathers Day it would be ribs or chicken to avoid the way too early wake up call! If you put your brisket on when I do, the biscuits and gravy your wife made would be your lunch! 😂 

1 hour ago, TiScape said:

I have to put brisket on at ~4:30am if I want to to be ready close to 6pm. I’m far from a morning person, so that’s a hard no on Father’s Day for me! Haha

If I was to smoke something on Fathers Day it would be ribs or chicken to avoid the way too early wake up call! If you put your brisket on when I do, the biscuits and gravy your wife made would be your lunch! 😂 

I ended up putting it on at 11:30 PM, and it was done around noon, so it got a long rest in a cooler with towels until dinnertime. Still turned out great. I've been unhappy with my results on leaving the brisket naked in the smoker, so I foiled it when it reached the stall and it came out much more moist and the bark didn't dry out all that badly. 

The advantage of getting up at 4:30, though, is silence 😉 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

13 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I ended up putting it on at 11:30 PM, and it was done around noon, so it got a long rest in a cooler with towels until dinnertime. Still turned out great. I've been unhappy with my results on leaving the brisket naked in the smoker, so I foiled it when it reached the stall and it came out much more moist and the bark didn't dry out all that badly. 

The advantage of getting up at 4:30, though, is silence 😉 

Agreed. Naked for the whole smoke hasn’t been good for me either. I’ve been wrapping in butcher paper at around 160-180° and going up to 199-202°. I prefer the butcher paper over the foil bcs it gives me a better bark. I’m a total bark junkie! 😜

So you put it on the smoke at 11:30pm, wait til it gets to about 160°, wrap and go to bed? Off around noon the next day?? Hmmm, not a bad idea. 🤔 

Edited by TiScape

My old Traeger has frustrated me to the point i don’t trust it anymore… went and looked at gravity smokers yesterday, and pretty sure that is what I’m buying next… 

my ultimate goal is a grill that can easily grill or smoke but doesn’t require a ton of tending… I think this fits that bill, but haven’t heard much about them.

C8394A78-2D11-4C0C-AF25-1E0B4B39FAFB.jpeg

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

52 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

My old Traeger has frustrated me to the point i don’t trust it anymore… went and looked at gravity smokers yesterday, and pretty sure that is what I’m buying next… 

my ultimate goal is a grill that can easily grill or smoke but doesn’t require a ton of tending… I think this fits that bill, but haven’t heard much about them.

C8394A78-2D11-4C0C-AF25-1E0B4B39FAFB.jpeg

Get yourself a Kamado.  I love my Big Joe 3 and will never use anything else.  I can get my Kamado Joe to a temp very easily, and I can literally go to work and not worry about it.  8 hours later it will hold that temp steady as can be.  Not to mention, I can make it as low as 150* or as high as 750*.  Try getting many other grills to 700*+.  Great for searing steaks.

Edited by Hstead
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV