BBQ Fans

sTmGolfer

So its not technically a grill/smoker, but has anyone had any experience with Blackstones?  I have a buddy that has one and he says its the best grill he's ever owned (and I know some might not tehnically consider it a grill), he sent me a picture of him making hibachi on it for his family of 6.  I used to have a Big Green Egg, but sold it before the move and we've just been using my small propane grill.  I loved the idea of smoking a huge brisket, but at the end of the day, I'd rather spend my free time on the course than just hovering around the grill to make sure I don't need to stoke the coals again.  So anymore we do mostly your basic grilling stuff, chicken, burgers, steaks, veggies, etc. so the Blackstone is very interesting to me.  Plus at the end of the day, if I want to get a smoker I'll probably just get a stand up electric one.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

On 6/29/2021 at 5:40 AM, betarhoalphadelta said:

I love sous vide, but not for steak. I really like ribeye and you just can't get anywhere near as good of a rendering of the fat with sous vide as I'd like. I've found a blast at REALLY high heat over coals [for me I like to use the Joe Jr] to get the sear to my liking and then tossing it in either the oven or the Traeger at 225 with a leave-in temp probe until I get to resting temps to be the way to go. See my description posted below for more.

The one exception is filet... Because filet is so lean, it's the one cut that I find really takes well to sous vide. 

I don't reverse sear, either. Below is something I wrote recently on another message board:

You know, for a long while I've been a "reverse sear" guy when it comes to steak. I learned it from Amazing Ribs, where I've learned a lot of great things about cooking--and it helped me get my steaks from novice to very good. But it's time to graduate to a better method.

I believe the reverse sear is targeted at people who don't know that much about cooking, don't know that much about how to finish a piece of meat, and thus it helps them to avoid overcooking. However, by getting the temp up to near-done levels and then blasting it with high heat to sear, it makes it extraordinarily difficult to make sure that you get a perfect sear and perfect doneness. You're always playing a dangerous game that if you sear it as strong as you want, are you going to be above, at, or below your target internal temp? 

For a novice, I think too many of them just throw steaks on a hot grill and cook over direct heat, which means the outside is charred black to get to appropriate doneness, or the inside is raw to get to appropriate color outside. For those folks, reverse sear is an improvement.

But there's a reason no serious chefs or steakhouses use the reverse sear, and I think it's because of the problem I mentioned above of having to time it perfectly to get the color and doneness perfectly right. 

So I'm back to the sear-then-finish method. 

Two ways to do it:

• Grill: This method either requires two grills, a grill that can easily support two-zone cooking with one portion indirect, or searing on the grill and then moving inside to an oven. To do this, you need one grill ripping hot--hotter than many grills support unless they are a kettle with a bunch of coals piled up, a kamado, or a grill with a dedicated searing station. Many gassers aren't good at this, and pellet grills even worse. At this point you want extreme direct heat. Cook on all sides until you get the right color. Feel free to flip as many times as you need to avoid burning the meat--don't be a "I only flip ONCE" guy or you're likely to burn it if the grill is hot enough. Once the color is right, remove to a MUCH lower temp grill or the oven--in this case the pellet grills are great because they're automatically indirect and you can set them to a low temp like 225. Stick a leave-in meat thermometer in the grill and let the steak slowly come up to temp until you get to your desired temp MINUS 5 degrees which will carry over during resting. So for medium rare (130-135 IT) I'll pull at about 127 degrees and wrap in foil on a cutting board / etc to rest. 
  • Stove/oven: Preheat the oven to 225 and get a cast iron pan on top of a flame on HIGH heat. Get some oil and butter sizzling in the pan, and set the steak(s) down in the pan. You can optionally add some herbs/garlic to the pan. Depending on the shape and thickness of the steak, you may or may not want to sear the sides; a thinner steak it won't matter. If you sear the sides, do the sides about a minute each before the top or bottom. You don't need to worry about the same level of color as the top or bottom, and if you do, you risk overcooking. But once the sides are lightly seared, put the steak face down in the pan and sear 4-5 minutes, basting the top with the butter/oil mixture as you go. After 4-5 minutes, flip the steak, insert a leave-in remote thermometer in the center, and put it immediately into the oven--the opposite side will sear nicely due to the hot pan. Leave in the oven until your IT reads your desired temp minus 5 degrees, and then remove to foil and a cutting board / etc to rest. Do NOT leave the steak resting in the hot cast iron pan or it will overcook. 

Reverse sear is a great method to learn for cooking steak... But this is better. 

I couldn't agree more. It's so much easier to control the final temp when searing first. Get the Komado really hot, sear the tomahawks then transfer them to a Weber kettle with some smoke and take it off when the probe hits the desired temps.

I have a Kamado Joe and love it. I can high heat sear then drop heat to finish or vice versa. It holds temp extremely well. I use it to smoke, to grill and to bake... Love it!

• Like 2

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Chase had some Grill Grates brand grates and they are awesome so I bought some.  Has made getting the perfect crust so much easier on my steaks.  They aren't cheap, but man are they worth it.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

4 minutes ago, Mr. Grumpy said:

I have a Kamado Joe and love it. I can high heat sear then drop heat to finish or vice versa. It holds temp extremely well. I use it to smoke, to grill and to bake... Love it!

Yep, I got the Big Joe II and it's awesome. Also got those Grill Grates and you don't burn stuff even when you go nuclear.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

So its not technically a grill/smoker, but has anyone had any experience with Blackstones?  I have a buddy that has one and he says its the best grill he's ever owned (and I know some might not tehnically consider it a grill), he sent me a picture of him making hibachi on it for his family of 6.  I used to have a Big Green Egg, but sold it before the move and we've just been using my small propane grill.  I loved the idea of smoking a huge brisket, but at the end of the day, I'd rather spend my free time on the course than just hovering around the grill to make sure I don't need to stoke the coals again.  So anymore we do mostly your basic grilling stuff, chicken, burgers, steaks, veggies, etc. so the Blackstone is very interesting to me.  Plus at the end of the day, if I want to get a smoker I'll probably just get a stand up electric one.

Everyone I know that has one loves it... But those guys all have other grills/smokers too. 

I view it as the sort of cooking tool that does what it does well better than anything else could, namely be a griddle. But that what it doesn't do well, it will do worse than a typical grill. That's valuable. You can cook bacon outside rather than on the stove (which gets messy), you can do smash burgers like nobody's business, you can cook a whole breakfast for the family, etc. Having a large griddle is a GREAT thing. But there are some things that don't cook well on a griddle (I'd say steaks are one, chicken another, etc).

I, for example, have a cast iron griddle that I use inside the Kamado or the Traeger when needed, and my wife just bought me a half-moon cast iron griddle for inside the Big Joe. Those make more sense to me because I don't think I'd use the Blackstone enough, but either is MUCH more cumbersome and annoying than simply having a propane griddle ready to go anytime I want. If I used the griddles more (and had more room on my patio lol), I'd buy a Blackstone. 

So if you were pairing the Blackstone with a traditional grill (gasser, Weber kettle, etc) and a smoker (electric is fine), the Blackstone becomes a tool that can take certain duties away from the traditional grill and do them better / more easily. 

But I don't think the Blackstone can stand alone, or just have a Blackstone and a smoker, because you'll be missing some grill tasks that the Blackstone isn't suited for. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

6 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Everyone I know that has one loves it... But those guys all have other grills/smokers too. 

I view it as the sort of cooking tool that does what it does well better than anything else could, namely be a griddle. But that what it doesn't do well, it will do worse than a typical grill. That's valuable. You can cook bacon outside rather than on the stove (which gets messy), you can do smash burgers like nobody's business, you can cook a whole breakfast for the family, etc. Having a large griddle is a GREAT thing. But there are some things that don't cook well on a griddle (I'd say steaks are one, chicken another, etc).

I, for example, have a cast iron griddle that I use inside the Kamado or the Traeger when needed, and my wife just bought me a half-moon cast iron griddle for inside the Big Joe. Those make more sense to me because I don't think I'd use the Blackstone enough, but either is MUCH more cumbersome and annoying than simply having a propane griddle ready to go anytime I want. If I used the griddles more (and had more room on my patio lol), I'd buy a Blackstone. 

So if you were pairing the Blackstone with a traditional grill (gasser, Weber kettle, etc) and a smoker (electric is fine), the Blackstone becomes a tool that can take certain duties away from the traditional grill and do them better / more easily. 

But I don't think the Blackstone can stand alone, or just have a Blackstone and a smoker, because you'll be missing some grill tasks that the Blackstone isn't suited for. 

This is very good information to know.  I figure I might get a BS and then the electric smoker I can put under the deck, and put the BS upstairs for daily cooking.  

I'll have to do some research about how to cook certain things on the BS, like you said steaks and chicken, for example.  I was never very adventurous on the BGE and did ribs and briskets just a few times and then eventually just turned it to a burger/chicken set up, which I'd think the BS could do well.

Thanks!

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

i think the reverse sear is the better way to go - it allows you to slowly heat the meat removing the moisture from the exterior and bringing up to temp, then a quick sear adding a flavorful crust. the sear first method doesnt provide the same texture to outside of steak. 

https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-reverse-sear-best-way-to-cook-steak

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

11 hours ago, TiScape said:

Watching BBQ Brawl and they gave the contestants one of these to use. A real beauty! 

6DE6FF72-9F7C-4FD1-A3B1-6A7D709D639C.jpeg

I like!

I saw this one on, I think on CBS Sunday Morning News. A story about the turn around of a US cast iron foundry. 

https://www.goldenscastiron.com/kamado-grills/

Goldens_Cast_Iron_Kamado_Grill_Handle_Cart-600x600-1.jpeg

• Like 3

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I have a Traeger smoker and just added a Blackstone Griddle.  Smoker is amazing at large cuts of meat like ribs, brisket, pork, ect... but I have to say the griddle is the perfect compliment to it.  So far I've done some hibachi style cooks, smash burgers, and just last night steaks.  The griddle is awesome and i think i've found the perfect grilling combo.  The sear and crust the griddle puts on meat is amazing and the steaks were on point.  Did Smash burgers last week and WOW.  I grabbed the small 17" version so I can travel with it and very glad I went that route.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

On 7/31/2021 at 8:48 AM, J13 said:

I have a Traeger smoker and just added a Blackstone Griddle.  Smoker is amazing at large cuts of meat like ribs, brisket, pork, ect... but I have to say the griddle is the perfect compliment to it.  So far I've done some hibachi style cooks, smash burgers, and just last night steaks.  The griddle is awesome and i think i've found the perfect grilling combo.  The sear and crust the griddle puts on meat is amazing and the steaks were on point.  Did Smash burgers last week and WOW.  I grabbed the small 17" version so I can travel with it and very glad I went that route.  

Thats the general set up I'm looking to complete, but probably use an electric smoker vs Traeger.

• 2 months later...

I’ve been using a Traeger for 10 years and put a Savannah Stoker controller on it this year. I recently gave it to one of my sons after I bought a Yoder 640S. It is a huge upgrade over the Traeger. it makes long overnight cooking so much easier. Highly recommend it if you don’t mind dropping the cash.

Also have a Weber Genesis for gas grilling. Thought about a Blackstone but cast iron griddle is good enough.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Two racks of St. Louis ribs fresh off the smoke!

A24C354A-2347-42AC-B995-6B887DB39F34.jpeg

YES SIR! Those look like they came out great

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

On 10/24/2021 at 6:32 PM, TiScape said:

Two racks of St. Louis ribs fresh off the smoke!

A24C354A-2347-42AC-B995-6B887DB39F34.jpeg

Whenever family gets together they all want me to cook ribs. I am one of the odd people in the world who would prefer other types of meat to ribs. I do like St. Louis and Spare Ribs over Baby Back, and I like beef ribs better than all pork ones. The family goes all crazy over the ribs and I'm content eating a couple and filling up on sides. I prefer investing cooking time into shoulders and briskets. That being said your ribs look perfect. Good pull back on the bone but they look like they still have some bite. No sloppy sauce either - good work.

• Thanks 1

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

8 minutes ago, RSinSG said:

Whenever family gets together they all want me to cook ribs. I am one of the odd people in the world who would prefer other types of meat to ribs. I do like St. Louis and Spare Ribs over Baby Back, and I like beef ribs better than all pork ones. The family goes all crazy over the ribs and I'm content eating a couple and filling up on sides. I prefer investing cooking time into shoulders and briskets. That being said your ribs look perfect. Good pull back on the bone but they look like they still have some bite. No sloppy sauce either - good work.

Yes thank you. You nailed it. I got the perfect amount of pull back while retaining some bite on those racks. Good eye. 
Every weekend I smoke something. Alternate between ribs, chicken, pork butt and brisket. Brisket is my favorite. 

Edited by TiScape

On 10/27/2021 at 7:35 PM, RSinSG said:

I like baby back over spares... I think I'm alone in the BBQ community on that one lol...

Not a fan of beef back ribs. I LOVE some beef short ribs though. Occasionally I'll do a whole 3 bone plate, which basically becomes brisket on a stick. Otherwise if I've just got separated beef short ribs, it's still good though. 

For me the brisket is the top choice. The problem with brisket is that I need a crowd. It's hard to decide to cook a 15-20# brisket for my wife and my kids. I realize I have a vacuum sealer and a freezer, and I can find some great ways to use leftover brisket. But I prefer to have people over if I'm doing brisket. 

Likewise pork shoulder. When I do shoulder I buy 4 pork shoulders in the total weight range around 35#, smoke them all, use what I need for dinner and then break everything else down into vacuum bags. But I don't enjoy pulled pork sandwiches anywhere as much as brisket, so pork is usually one meal for sandwiches and then everything else goes into the freezer for later use on pulled pork nachos, or pulled pork salad, or anything else we decide to use it in, etc...

When it's just me, my wife, and the kids, I get a 3-rack pack of baby backs from Costco. That feeds the family with leftovers for me for lunch Monday... And everyone's happy.

• Like 1

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Here's a use for leftover brisket. Grilled cheese & tomato soup, grown-up style:

https://www.vindulge.com/brisket-grilled-cheese-sandwiches/

https://www.vindulge.com/smoked-tomato-bisque/

As mentioned above, I tend to keep leftover brisket vacuum-sealed in the freezer for use in dishes like this, or chili, etc. 

The tomatoes for the bisque can be smoked, vacuum sealed, and frozen. Often if we're out of the smoked tomatoes and I'm going to be doing ribs, I'll throw a batch of tomatoes on the smoker once it's ready to go, before I start the ribs, and then they go into the freezer for whatever day I do this. I don't typically smoke them "on demand" for this recipe. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Here's a use for leftover brisket. Grilled cheese & tomato soup, grown-up style:

https://www.vindulge.com/brisket-grilled-cheese-sandwiches/

https://www.vindulge.com/smoked-tomato-bisque/

As mentioned above, I tend to keep leftover brisket vacuum-sealed in the freezer for use in dishes like this, or chili, etc. 

The tomatoes for the bisque can be smoked, vacuum sealed, and frozen. Often if we're out of the smoked tomatoes and I'm going to be doing ribs, I'll throw a batch of tomatoes on the smoker once it's ready to go, before I start the ribs, and then they go into the freezer for whatever day I do this. I don't typically smoke them "on demand" for this recipe. 

The sandwich looks good. I used left over brisket and pork shoulder for “Swatchos” and pot pies. Swatchos are Nachos with BBQ beans, meat, cheese etc. Brisket pot pie is on a different level of good. 

21ACB50E-61F2-43AC-8953-8D822280BD10.jpeg

• Like 2

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

27 minutes ago, RSinSG said:

The sandwich looks good. I used left over brisket and pork shoulder for “Swatchos” and pot pies. Swatchos are Nachos with BBQ beans, meat, cheese etc. Brisket pot pie is on a different level of good. 

21ACB50E-61F2-43AC-8953-8D822280BD10.jpeg

Um, please DM me the recipe if you don't mind...I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread...

2 hours ago, snagy2000 said:

Um, please DM me the recipe if you don't mind...I knew I shouldn't have opened this thread...

Not my creation. Recipe here:

https://www.copymethat.com/r/6MLxq9K22/brisket-pale-ale-pie/?fbclid=IwAR2-tSM2q3mpyATm3VFSkIiydkzXY_rdzvhCjDL2N4vRuEI9UvD_up1l2m8

• Thanks 1

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

• 7 months later...