Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

8 minutes ago, dwboston said:

Was on vacation last week and played a round of golf at the course near the hotel.  I got paired up with a threesome - an older guy (maybe late 60's/early 70's) and his son and son-in-law, who both appeared to be in their early 30's.  The round was fine and they were pleasant enough to play with.  On the shuttle ride back to the hotel, things changed.  The son started berating his father about how "rude" the father and mother were for wanting to see their grandkids "too much" - which was defined as a couple of times per month.  He said most grandparents only see their grandkids a couple of times per year, and they were "lucky" to see them more often.  And it's "rude" to call a day or two in advance and expect "schedules to be cleared" so they can see their grandkids.

The son came across as an ungrateful jerk given that the father just paid for the round for all three of them, and based on stuff they said during the round, likely paid for their vacation as well.  The father was pretty soft-spoken throughout the day and during this spoiled jerk's tirade.  I sat there thinking that no one could lack this much self-awareness, that the father is getting up there in years and time with grandchildren is precious.  I also thought about how both my parents have died in the last couple of years (both too soon) and the time they spent with their three grandsons was the happiest I ever saw them.  The ungrateful jerk won't realize this stuff until after his dad is gone.

What a D-bag!

I only knew one of my Grandparents and she died when I was five. I wish I would have had a chance to see my Grandparents a couple of times a month.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JimmyC59 said:

What a D-bag!

I only knew one of my Grandparents and she died when I was five. I wish I would have had a chance to see my Grandparents a couple of times a month.

Same here.  Only really knew my maternal grandmother.  My mom's dad died when she was young, same for my dad's mom.  My grandmother was a classic Irish mother, but she loved her grandkids like nothing else.  We lived with her a couple of times over the years when I was young, and she would do anything for us.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

43 minutes ago, dwboston said:

The ungrateful jerk won't realize this stuff until after his dad is gone.

Then again, he may not realize it even then; narcissism on a scale you observed is a helluva drug.

• Like 3

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

This is mostly ridiculous of me--of thoughts in my own head:

Local range has TopTracer Range with, among other things, ball speed for each shot in each stall.  The stall next to me has a beginner and an experienced friend giving him swing advice.  Both are like 20-something men.  I'm overhearing this advice and judging it as not-very-good.  Keep in mind, I'm a 13-index hacker.  Anyway, this goes for several more minutes.  Again, the advice just seems unhelpful.  And then, the experienced player steps in and starts hitting.  I'm not watching, but, unsurprisingly, his friend is ooh-ing and ahh-ing with each swing.  He then switches to driver, and I look at their stall's monitor and his ball speed is 179 mph!  Next one is 178.  Straight and long.  Next one is 180 mph.  Now I'm paying attention to his swing.  He starts launching mid-irons solid, straight, and long.  What a swing.  And, of course, now I feel absolutely foolish for judging him negatively for anything he was saying to his friend.  I know being a great player doesn't make you a good instructor--but I still felt foolish!

Edited by lchang
  • Like 3

Guy cold tops one that dribbles 10-15 yards as I'm walking up to the practice area. Continues to chop it up hideously for the next 20 or so. Guess who's giving someone advice just a few minutes later?

For my own foolish moment, though technically not overheard: I like to continue to hit when people are walking by, especially if their shadow is going to move through my vision. It's a good way to work on keeping focus when conditions aren't as still and quiet as we'd like. Two guys happen to be coming towards me from down the range as I'm getting ready for my next shot and I know they'll be within "distraction distance" by the time I'm actually hitting. Stroke it well, no issue, and hold the relaxed finish as I usually do, watching the flight. Well, a certain gnat is having none of that and lands on my face at the most inopportune time, making me flinch, cavort, and whatever else I did. Luckily by that time the guys were past me and I don't think anyone else caught sight of my convulsions, but it must have been quite the spectacle.

• 10 months later...

Bumping this oldie but goldie. Some poor girl was getting the classic standby of the knowledge dump poured in her head by her boyfriend who couldn't hit a solid shot to save either of their lives. The crown jewel was every "Like this..." being punctuated by a thinned shot, shank, or chunk followed by an explanation of how he almost had it. He also explained how she should be sliding her hips towards the target, but no no, wait until the right moment to slide them, as she's currently initiating the slide too early. 

May God have mercy on her soul cause she's never going to learn to play golf well under that tutelage.

• Like 1

There are driving ranges near me which have both indoor sims (with trackman) and outdoor top tracer style bays.

There is a clear, clear discrepancy between the two at one site.

I saw a group of what ill loosely call golfers coming out of the sim room to leave hitting on the top tracer bays, trying to achieve high ball speeds.

It was the absolutely ludicrous idea that their ball speeds were real that was making me chuckle. Indoors, probably 145mph at BEST, yet on the juiced up top tracer it was 175mph plus. And they were talking about personal bests and "proper smashing it".

Trust me guys, if you hit a ball with 175mph ball speed its going a loooooooooong way. its not coming down short of the 230 yard fence.

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

I once saw these two love birds in the driving range each on their own stall hitting golf balls, clearly, clearly on a date. The guy knew how to golf, probably 13 hc, and the gal a beginner. Obviously, as most golf dates go, the guy (boyfriend?) is teaching her to grip, stance, swing, etc. Few shots in, the person on the stall in front of this lady just turns around and decides that he should be the one giving instructions and not her boyfriend. Man, it was awkward. And the boyfriend was just helpless and resorted to finish hitting whatever balls (figuratively and literally) he had left.

Edited by Supa Dupa Fly
  • Sad 2

On 2/5/2024 at 1:34 AM, PedronNiall said:

Bumping this oldie but goldie. Some poor girl was getting the classic standby of the knowledge dump poured in her head by her boyfriend who couldn't hit a solid shot to save either of their lives. The crown jewel was every "Like this..." being punctuated by a thinned shot, shank, or chunk followed by an explanation of how he almost had it. He also explained how she should be sliding her hips towards the target, but no no, wait until the right moment to slide them, as she's currently initiating the slide too early. 

May God have mercy on her soul cause she's never going to learn to play golf well under that tutelage.

I wouldn't put it past a male ego to teach her incorrectly, so that she will never progress and become a better player than him. Lot of pathetic guys out there. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

it was a practice green by the range, but close enough

teenage kid  A to teenage kid B, I like golf but I hate how you have to practice to be good at it. Kept going in circles making the same point lol

I'd never be rude to some random kid, but I wish I was 15 and could practice all summer without a job lol

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

• 1 month later...