2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

Member at a private club.  When you have slow people playing in front instead of telling them to stand aside you told to pick the ball and go around them because your too fast.

Same club they decide to do extra course maintenance during a major club champions ship so members have to play around the mowers and workers.

Might be time to move a lot new members just joined last few months.

Edited by tiger1873
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Cousin said:

Not on the driving range but in the course this past weekend. Driving our carts from the 18 tee to our drives. We see the cart girl pull up to a couple walking up the cart path towards us. This is no too uncommon at this hole are there is a public trail that shares the cart path for a short way and people miss the turn to go on the trail all the time. I notice that the guy has a few clubs with him including his driver. There is no driving range at the course. 

Cart girl turns them around and drives up to us. Apparently this guy wanted to “try out” the course so he brought a few clubs and balls and his girlfriend and started to just walk onto 18. This is on a Saturday in California. Full tee sheet. Astounding. 

monarch in laguna?

Ping i525 7-UW 

G425 6 iron

Glide 2.0 Stealth 54 & 60
G410 21* 25* Tour 85
G410 13* & 16* Tour 75 

G425 LST 10.5 Tour 65

Older Scotty Del Mar

4 hours ago, Cousin said:

Old Course, Half Moon Bay.  18th green is right in front of the Ritz patio so lots of people mulling around.  Usually get a good applause from the gallery for making a good approach or a putt.  I have gotten a few over the years lol.

I badly pull-hooked an approach shot there and almost killed a couple with their kid on the part of the cart path that they're *allowed* to walk on.  I hate that the pedestrians there and on the 18th on the Ocean course there have no idea how much their lives are in danger....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, lchang said:

I badly pull-hooked an approach shot there and almost killed a couple with their kid on the part of the cart path that they're *allowed* to walk on.  I hate that the pedestrians there and on the 18th on the Ocean course there have no idea how much their lives are in danger....

Yea, we (my wife and I) are there a lot as we live just up the street.  Always watching for when someone is lining up for their approach.  I have see several times when guests at the Ritz are just oblivious.  A couple letting their toddler run around on the green or on the grass next to it at 18 when people are trying to play their approach.  Have seen that a  few times actually.  I have tried to get them off when I am at the patio, sometimes there is a language barrier with guests from out of country.  It happened to me once while I was waiting for my approach.  

I believe it was part of the permit agreement for the Ritz that they make and maintain the Coastal Trail in that area.  It's just the way they chose to design it, gets the hotel and patio closer to the cliffs.

• Like 1

My one buddy who can't carry a drive more than 200 yards with any consistent accuracy due to a bad swing trying to give my more athletic buddy who's new to golf, but can drive it 280+ driving tips.

Same buddy trying to offer chipping and pitching advice such as "You'll want to chop this one out of the rough" and "try not to let your follow through extend too long"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade Stealth+ 8°  - HZRDUS RDX Smoke Black

TaylorMade SIM 2 Ti 5w 19° (set to 17°) - Diamana Limited 75 S

TaylorMade SIM UDI 2i - Diamana Thump 90 S

Ping i210 5i-UW - Dynamic Gold S300

TaylorMade Hi-Toe Raw 56-10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Milled Grind 60-09 - Dynamic Gold Wedge

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 64- - Dynamic Gold Wedge

Ping Craz-e - Ping Karsten w/ Super Stroke Traxion Claw 2.0 grip

On 1/18/2022 at 1:09 PM, elwhippy said:

This Trackman is faulty. I hit my 6 iron 220 yards at sea level. 

trackman always wrong 🤣

Callaway Epic Max LS Ventus TR Blue 6x

Titleist Tsi2 3 Wood Tensei Raw White 75 S

Mizuno HMB 2 Iron Tour AD DI-95 Hybrid S

Mizuno 921 Forged 4-P DG S300

SM6 50, Project X Rifle 6.0

SM8 54, DG S200 Wedge Flex

SM7 58, DG S200 Wedge Flex

Bettinardi STUDIO STOCK 28 ARMLOCK PUTTER 41"

35 minutes ago, mitchnpat1 said:

trackman always wrong 🤣

And Range Balls go 20 yards shorter.  

• Like 3

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

Not on the range but deserves an honorable mention: I was practising putting at lunch time at the club. I hear this loud, angry voice from the first tee box: "oi mate, if you effing know what's good for you, you'll effing get off the fairway".

I look up and see a burly fellow glaring down the fairway at someone who had hit a bad shot from an adjacent hole and was now on the first fairway. He was a long way down; I have only been there maybe twice off the tee and only with a big wind assist.

Old mate on the tee box obviously made his loud announcement to let everyone in the vicinity know that we had to watch out because there was a long-hitting badass nearby. Then I watched him make this feeble pitter-patter arms only swing that I'm sure didn't sniff 90 mph. For extra performance, he hit the top of his club and skied it about 100 yards. A very appropriate idiot mark...

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

A new one yesterday morning in the parking lot of the clubhouse.  Older woman, apparently a regular, talking to the starter who is helping her carry her bag to her cart. 

Starter: Have you checked in?  Could I see the receipt?

Woman: No, Jane is paying for me today, she owes me one.

Starter (looking at tee sheet): Sorry Ma'am, Jane isn't playing today, she isn't here.

Woman: Well she owes me, she is paying for me.  You will just have to call her.

Starter:  Please go check in with the pro shop

This goes back and forth a few more times before the woman relents

As I was walking out to the first tee I walked by the starter and said that was a first for me hearing that.  He said she tries it all the time.  They know the drill with her!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chopper Dave said:

This is a guy I've come across at golf clubs, golf shops etc. I think he is legitimately insane so here are some of his gems.

Have you tried the left dash? Best ball ever! I know which pro it was made for, but I'm not allowed to say.

In response to the stealth fwy - it DOES have a carbon face, I know, the TM rep showed me!

I was there when Tiger Woods was getting coached as a teenager, couldn't hit a wood to save his life.

I was Mariah Carey's bodyguard when she would visit the country. 

Buys a second hand set of PXG irons - I got these fitted at PXG and I met Bob Parsons!

ROTFLMAO!!! Either the guy is legally insane or smoking some good stuff.

Around here in this Tourist Themed area you can hear all kinds of stories from the starters. If the starter is a veteran of the "Golf Wars" he has heard them all several times over the years

Last week we had a tourist wanting to pull his cart out of line from the Scramble stage to go to the range. Now our range is perhaps 120 yards away. They told him no that the carts were staged for a reason ( to ensure a smooth flow on a shotgun start), What pissed me off was he tried to go over the bag drop guys heads ( they are one of the owners sons) and told the owner which the owner backed the kids up. Besides the Shootout was about to start. This guy whined and griped about a bad back etc. Monday he tried to pull the same crap when carts were scarce and they had people literally waiting and they were turning carts back out. I heard the same thing. This starter bag drop guy runs a tight ship and it was obvious what was going on with others waiting. He started the whine again about a bad back which was pure BS because I had seen him running around. He is one of those supposed entitled snowbirds or so he thinks. I could not stand him anymore and I flew in on him. I told him I walked over to the range all the time even when my broken back was healing and as a full time member I was entitled to a cart if they were available. I also told him that even a member could not get a cart in the present situation. I also asked him just because he visited one month out of the year he thought he was special??? That he was thoughtless with others were waiting for carts for their tee times. Quite a few folks waiting clapped as he sulked off. Yes this tourist season has been the busiest this year it has even in the Pre Pandemic days. Our course has even rented 12 additional carts due to the flow and wanted more but with other courses being in the same fix extras are not available. 

The owner asked me about it Monday afternoon. I told him the story and he said if the guy shows up again to basically tell him he is barred. Yeah the courses are crowded and this is basically a two family owned and operated course and the staff are stressed anyhow. There was a another part of the story. The guy had went into the clubhouse and wanted to play with no tee time and they had told him no way they were booked solid. The guy had complained and whined in there. They had told them in this area this time of year it was so crowded that tee times were a must anywhere around here. I guess he really feels entitled

Edited by BIG STU
  • Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

6 hours ago, Chopper Dave said:

This is a guy I've come across at golf clubs, golf shops etc. I think he is legitimately insane so here are some of his gems.

Have you tried the left dash? Best ball ever! I know which pro it was made for, but I'm not allowed to say.

In response to the stealth fwy - it DOES have a carbon face, I know, the TM rep showed me!

I was there when Tiger Woods was getting coached as a teenager, couldn't hit a wood to save his life.

I was Mariah Carey's bodyguard when she would visit the country. 

Buys a second hand set of PXG irons - I got these fitted at PXG and I met Bob Parsons!

Did someone say pathological?

Back in the early 90's when I could actually golf. I was at a large, busy range with my Yonex ADX Tour blades, working on moving the ball, hit a hard draw, hit a hard fade, hit a medium draw, hit a medium fade, etc. A couple of the old range rats than hung around there all day stopped behind me.  Their conversation was

"Look at that guy, he thinks he is Chi-Chi Rodriguez"

"I told you, it's all in the hands"

"No, look at his clubs, anyone could do that with those clubs."

I ignored them........

• Like 1

A few players talking about the most impressive pro swing they have seen in person.  There nothing out of the ordinary here, names like Louie Oosthuizen and Adam Scott get thrown around then someone mentioned how they wish they got to see Ernie Els in his prime. A chorus of yeahs is broken by one guy that loudly exclaims "I've seen Ernie Els play in person - his neck isn't like that"...........dead silence........"his neck doesn't look like that, how it does on tv"

Conversation over.

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

I've seen Ernie Els' neck, and it does look like that.

Gucci would probably offer him more money than Xxio are paying in order to farm it for handbags.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

This time of the year in this Tourist Mecca you hear the craziest stuff. It is more entertaining to sit around and listen than watching the Comedy Channel on TV. My SOP right now in this season is to get to the course to practice when the Members Men's and Ladies Groups are going out. During the week the outside tee times are blocked off until like 11:45 or so. By then I have done most of my practice work for today. I usually get me a water and have a spot of lunch sitting on my corner of the patio beside the putting green. Now I range is about 120 yards away ( I have measured it) from the putting green. You have to purchase range tokens inside and the machine naturally  is out by the range. Some guy got mad because he had to walk over there to get range balls to of all things practice putting with. One of my buds was sitting with me and both of us about died laughing and this guy was serious. But one of our fellow members said that guy was probably one of those too cheap to buy balls and played his round with range balls. I had never imagined that.  

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

This time of the year in this Tourist Mecca you hear the craziest stuff. It is more entertaining to sit around and listen than watching the Comedy Channel on TV. My SOP right now in this season is to get to the course to practice when the Members Men's and Ladies Groups are going out. During the week the outside tee times are blocked off until like 11:45 or so. By then I have done most of my practice work for today. I usually get me a water and have a spot of lunch sitting on my corner of the patio beside the putting green. Now I range is about 120 yards away ( I have measured it) from the putting green. You have to purchase range tokens inside and the machine naturally  is out by the range. Some guy got mad because he had to walk over there to get range balls to of all things practice putting with. One of my buds was sitting with me and both of us about died laughing and this guy was serious. But one of our fellow members said that guy was probably one of those too cheap to buy balls and played his round with range balls. I had never imagined that.  

Justin Leonard had a history of being a cheapskate. I think Kuchar's dad called him out at the Masters Breakfast Banquet for taking several cheese danish pastries.   

image.png.d1e56f970dd78c99db53618dab282004.png

My dad said, "next time take just one."

image.png.9e81852969686abe7d9f1450c088b3f7.png

• Haha 3