Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

I find it extremely funny that our club uses boditrak for our membership in their lessons. It's funny to see a 75 year old on the pressure mat with the instructor telling them to shift their weight more or less, increase body tilt or whatever. I'm often thinking, they're gunna fall over if they do that.

When we had the golf shop I had one of my regular customers come in one morning. He was griping about he had spent $29.95 or whatever for the Stack and Tilt tape which was the rage at the time. Now remember I am not a swing guru. I looked at him and told him you should have seen me first. He was in his late 70s I told him he could not do the stack and tilt if someone held a loaded .38 to his head. He should have asked me first and saved those $$$$$. Like PT Barnum said " there is a sucker born every minute"

Stack and Tilt has been done for decades, Ben Hogan for one.

I think further analysis of this post could be useful:

Stack and Tilt is based on (or rather ripped off from) a wedge and short iron swing model in Mac O'Grady's MORAD project. The MORAD principles were based on a combination of the swings of Ben Hogan and Sam Snead, further evaluation of The Golfing Machine, and the sprinklings of the mad-hat genius that is Mac O'Grady.

Stack and Tilt is inherently flawed with the longer clubs because it was never meant for them, and that's the reason nobody speaks of or uses it anymore.

I think it would be more accurate to say the idea of Stack and Tilt was born out of some of the fundamentals Ben Hogan dug out of the dirt. To say Ben Hogan did Stack and Tilt is, at best, a tenuous comparison

Morad in general (and Stack and Tilt within it) works well for fairly tall, long legged, athletic men. It does not work nearly as well for the older rounder bellied fella that isn't flexible enough to create the coil between the limited hip turn and longer shoulder turn. So I can definitely see exactly what Stu is saying here - I'm guessing his buddy who bought the tape was a few years and pounds past his fighting weight.

My buddy reminded me of this. Not on the range, but definitely one of the more ridiculous things I have heard on the course.

We were in college and after the round, one of my teammates came over to me after his first round with a new White Hot 2 ball putter. Not an awful player, in competition and always playing courses that were decently long and set up pretty tough, he would shoot ~85-90. He was so excited to come tell me about it. "TOM! TOM! I LOVE this new putter. I was 2 putting EVERY green!!!"

"Shaun, that.....that isnt good man."

"....oh"

My buddy busted out laughing.

I like golf. A lot.

Maybe it's because we've rejoined the country club that I haven't had the occasional person come up to me at the driving range to give unsolicited advice (that alone was worth the price of admission). Anyone ever have that happen? As if they were the 'lifeguard instructor' at the driving range overseeing the hitters to give unsolicited advice. Used to be one at the public course I was at before the private course, and no matter how far away I tried to stay from him (other side of the range), he'd find a way to work himself over and just stand there watching me hit balls and I'd be waiting for the "why don't you try this..... " suggestion. I finally figured out how to relieve myself of him.... I engaged him, let him give me a suggestion, tried it while he stood there, and say "I think I got it now, thanks", and he'd walk away.....and if he'd yell something to me from 10-15 bays away, I'd just say, "oh, it's working much better now, thanks" (even though I wasn't doing what he offered).

That is polite of you. I would do the exact opposite honestly. I am a bit of an introvert and don't really like people...call me an Word not allowedhole, whatever. It has never happened to me but if some random person came up to me and started telling me what to do, I honestly don't know what I would do. I would want to tell him off, but I probably wouldnt. I would honestly probably just look at them, pack up my stuff and leave.

Hey, we’d get along really well. Although we’d never know since we’d never speak to each other.

the-less-i-know-about-other-peoples-affairs-the-happier-33556676.png

I find it extremely funny that our club uses boditrak for our membership in their lessons. It's funny to see a 75 year old on the pressure mat with the instructor telling them to shift their weight more or less, increase body tilt or whatever. I'm often thinking, they're gunna fall over if they do that.

When we had the golf shop I had one of my regular customers come in one morning. He was griping about he had spent $29.95 or whatever for the Stack and Tilt tape which was the rage at the time. Now remember I am not a swing guru. I looked at him and told him you should have seen me first. He was in his late 70s I told him he could not do the stack and tilt if someone held a loaded .38 to his head. He should have asked me first and saved those $$$$$. Like PT Barnum said " there is a sucker born every minute"

Stack and Tilt has been done for decades, Ben Hogan for one.

I think further analysis of this post could be useful:

Stack and Tilt is based on (or rather ripped off from) a wedge and short iron swing model in Mac O'Grady's MORAD project. The MORAD principles were based on a combination of the swings of Ben Hogan and Sam Snead, further evaluation of The Golfing Machine, and the sprinklings of the mad-hat genius that is Mac O'Grady.

Stack and Tilt is inherently flawed with the longer clubs because it was never meant for them, and that's the reason nobody speaks of or uses it anymore.

I think it would be more accurate to say the idea of Stack and Tilt was born out of some of the fundamentals Ben Hogan dug out of the dirt. To say Ben Hogan did Stack and Tilt is, at best, a tenuous comparison

Morad in general (and Stack and Tilt within it) works well for fairly tall, long legged, athletic men. It does not work nearly as well for the older rounder bellied fella that isn't flexible enough to create the coil between the limited hip turn and longer shoulder turn. So I can definitely see exactly what Stu is saying here - I'm guessing his buddy who bought the tape was a few years and pounds past his fighting weight.

Dead on it Doc--- He was around 70 at the time but is really in good physical shape. He has never smoked or drank alcohol and works out on one of those treadmill gazelle looking things but he is only about 5' 7" or so. But you nailed it on the long legged dudes. Like I tell everyone that all people are built different. Me for example I am 6' 2' tall but have short legs @ only a 32" inseam

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Was at the range yesterday and had an older guy post up beside me wearing those golf ball finder sunglasses. He had a friend tagging along who after every shot would call out how far the ball went, ball flight, left or right of the target. Was one of the weirder things I have seen at the range so far this year.

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

Was at the range yesterday and had an older guy post up beside me wearing those golf ball finder sunglasses. He had a friend tagging along who after every shot would call out how far the ball went, ball flight, left or right of the target. Was one of the weirder things I have seen at the range so far this year.

Are those even real??? The armchair caddy had to get annoying very quickly... It's like someone commentating a game of battleship.

Are those even real??? The armchair caddy had to get annoying very quickly... It's like someone commentating a game of battleship.

haha ya I see them on my local craigslist page every now and then. I was glad I only had like 15 balls left or I would have lost my mind

Toulon San Diego

Could be that the older gent had a vision problem and the 'annoying' guy was his spotter. I could use a friend like that if/when I get to that point. When I go golfing with my father I play spotter.

Heard this one today (names have been redacted);

Member 1: “Hey...did you hear about so-and-so?”

Member 2: “No I didn’t what happened”

Member 1: “He got into Augusta a couple weeks ago”

Member 2: “No way...I’ll never hear the end of that”

I thought it was funny, because this guy hardly plays anymore but was dying to be a member for as long as I had known him.

Somebody at your club is now a member at Augusta?

Yes. If I had to put a number on it there’s probably at least a dozen. They’re not really famous either, one guys father was an original member which is pretty cool to sit and talk with him. He estimated that he and his family have walked the distance from Boston to LA at ANGC alone.

Some people have all the luck

this older gentleman came up to me on the range and said to me in the loudest way possible "I don't want to be a suck-up, but you swing like Rory." I replied "nah, you are too nice."

Now everyone in front of me all turned around and people behind me all stopped and waiting for me to take a swing...........that was awkward and uncomfortable!!

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

Guy saying that he "just has to find the sweet spot" consistently and he'll have it all figured out. He then proceeded to detail all the work he was doing on path, positioning, and way too many other things with feel alone. I don't know why so many think when they've been doing the same thing for decades that this season is going to be where the magic happens when they've changed nothing. The definition of insanity and all that.

I hear some of the regulars making jokes all the time about how they'll miss each other and who's coming over to whose house that night but you'd have to be there to appreciate all of that ribbing.

this older gentleman came up to me on the range and said to me in the loudest way possible "I don't want to be a suck-up, but you swing like Rory." I replied "nah, you are too nice."

Now everyone in front of me all turned around and people behind me all stopped and waiting for me to take a swing...........that was awkward and uncomfortable!!

Haha! I HATE that too. Let me say up front I'm not a great golfer at all, but I hit it far. I can hit one miles and then duff or skull the next 10ft. I have had someone do the same thing to me and then I proceed to shank the next one off the planet.

Haha! I HATE that too. Let me say up front I'm not a great golfer at all, but I hit it far. I can hit one miles and then duff or skull the next 10ft. I have had someone do the same thing to me and then I proceed to shank the next one off the planet.

Tell them Rory found you one day at work. Said we have to sneak out of here. You ducked down and when Rory told you, you moved. There was a TW look a like in a suit looking for you. But you evaded him.

Once on the rooftop, Rory taught you how to swing.

It took weeks but he showed you everything.

Now you must save golf.

Tell them.

"If we can get your launch conditions from 11/2800 to 17/1700, we can pick up 30-40 yards"

-Taylormade Fitter

Screw off :taunt:

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (13.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

I expected to get at least 1 range session in 2019 before having a story. NOPE, so story time.

Snow is almost all melted, weather was nice today, range was open, grabbed my clubs and off I went. I tried to set up away from others so I could focus on myself and I don't like to distract others. It's been a while since I've really swung my clubs so I had a lot of rust to bust and so did like 90% of the guys at the range today. Except one guy who not only was trying to show off at a range and was giving like half the people within ear shot of him advice on how to fix their swing. Not even saying "excuse me" just walked up behind people and started spitting his wisdom at people.

Gave me some 'advice' a few times and some other guys way more. Like just let me and others do what we want at the range, if I wanted your advice I'd ask or pay you. I'm sure most guys there have a coach, working with a coach or working on their own things. Wonder how often I'll come across this guy if I continue at this range which is a really nice range.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I've been playing a long time, and put in so many range sessions that I'm pretty immune to the nonsense that goes on around me and tune out the commentary/advice. But about 3 weeks ago I was engrossed in making a [difficult] swing change.. total concentration, and all that. But I heard the phrase "hold the club as if you were holding a guitar..." penetrate my zone of intense concentration.

Wait, wut? I had to look up and see who was behind that gem. Couple casual (very) golfers, the instructee had an impressive dent in the top of his M2. Had to chuckle at that; thinking of trying out practicing with ear buds like the youngsters.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1

> @3jacker said:

> But I heard the phrase "hold the club as if you were holding a guitar..." penetrate my zone of intense concentration.

>

> Wait, wut? I had to look up and see who was behind that gem. Couple casual (very) golfers, the instructee had an impressive dent in the top of his M2. Had to chuckle at that; thinking of trying out practicing with ear buds like the youngsters.

Was one of them wearing a cape, mask and have hooves and a long tail? I have seen finishes that look worse.

4m3xytnf3qmg.jpg

Was on the range minding my own business when 3 people walk up about 15 feet away from me. From what I could tell it was a guy (guy) and his wife and someone (instructor) who pretended to know something about the golf swing.

The instructor starts giving the guy a lesson. Holy smokes... I can't tell you how many times I heard "hit down on the ball" with NO explanation as to how to properly do that. I've not heard so much bad advice ever. I was sitting there thinking I REALLY hope this is this guys friend or brother or something.

After about 45 minutes the instructor takes the club, addresses the ball, says something I couldn't hear, swings the club back... and completely cold tops the ball. It went maybe 10 yards. Says something, all 3 laugh, rakes over another ball, swings back, tops it again. This guy topped 5-6 balls.

A minute or two after this the guy PAYS THE INSTRUCTOR and the 3 walk off. I was dumbfounded. I felt so bad for the guy that he actually paid for 45 minutes of garbage.

> @HatsForBats said:

> shoot4par wrote:

>

>

> tips09 wrote:

>

>

>

> Was at the range yesterday and had an older guy post up beside me wearing those golf ball finder sunglasses. He had a friend tagging along who after every shot would call out how far the ball went, ball flight, left or right of the target. Was one of the weirder things I have seen at the range so far this year.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Are those even real??? The armchair caddy had to get annoying very quickly... It's like someone commentating a game of battleship.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Could be that the older gent had a vision problem and the 'annoying' guy was his spotter. I could use a friend like that if/when I get to that point. When I go golfing with my father I play spotter.

When I play with my son, he's my spotter! I can say, "It went that way...". He says, "It's two feet left of that little patch of brown." I can't even see the little patch of brown. I have been saying my eyes see 150, but I think they are getting closer to 120....

Jeff, an Arizona hacker

> @jlbos83 said:

> > @HatsForBats said:

> > shoot4par wrote:

> >

> >

> > tips09 wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> > Was at the range yesterday and had an older guy post up beside me wearing those golf ball finder sunglasses. He had a friend tagging along who after every shot would call out how far the ball went, ball flight, left or right of the target. Was one of the weirder things I have seen at the range so far this year.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Are those even real??? The armchair caddy had to get annoying very quickly... It's like someone commentating a game of battleship.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Could be that the older gent had a vision problem and the 'annoying' guy was his spotter. I could use a friend like that if/when I get to that point. When I go golfing with my father I play spotter.

>

> When I play with my son, he's my spotter! I can say, "It went that way...". He says, "It's two feet left of that little patch of brown." I can't even see the little patch of brown. I have been saying my eyes see 150, but I think they are getting closer to 120....

Totally get it. Just a very weird situation to me that was going on right beside me. First time I’ve seen someone wearing golf ball finder glasses as well. The gentleman was quite old and had a bandon dunes sweater on so he obviously is really into golf.

Toulon San Diego