Most difficult course you have played?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might not be the toughest as far as slope (par 71, 7100 yards, 75.6 rating, 147 slope), but Harbour Town was one of the toughest rounds I have ever played. We played early in the day and the weather was lousy. Low 50s, misty rain, steady 25 mph gusting to 40 winds. Course is tight enough and greens are already small enough without a 3 club wind.

Highest slope as rating I have played would have to be the Ocean Course, 155 slope, 79.6 rating. Oddly played pretty well there but it was really hit and dry an the winds were very low.

Two hardest I've played were Bethpage (76.6/144) and TPC Sawgrass Stadium (76.8/155). Not even looking at the course rating and slope, the Stadium course is definitely a tougher golf course than Bethpage. Bethpage is long and has thick rough, but its greens are flat, which means a good player can take advantage. I've found that the course can be overpowered if you've got the length to do it.

Sawgrass on the other hand cannot be overpowered, which is why you see tour players hitting hybrids and 3 woods off every tee. You have to lay back off the tee, even on the long par 4's, which means you've got longer shots into hard, fast, undulating postage-stamp greens. You have to pick your spots and plot your way around Sawgrass. It can be maddening but at the same time very rewarding when you pull it off.

[sign here]

Royal New Kent in central Virginia. It's consistently ranked among the various golf magazine's top 100 public courses, but it is stupid hard. The tips are a shade over 7300yds and the rating/slope is 76.5/147. From the tees that I play it's still a 73.1/141. If it is the first time you've played the course and you don't really know the layout, forget about it. If you're a mid-high capper, there are so many blind shots and trouble you can't really see that you're lucky if you don't lose 10 balls.

Everyone in my group was at least 10 strokes over their normal score at our various home courses.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

I have played a number of very severe courses but I think the most difficult was the Kampen Course at Purdue University in West Laffayette, IN. I was dumb enough in my prime to play the back tees on this course. It measures 7465 yds, slope was over 142 and the rating was around 76. I had a career round and shot 76 with several chip ins. I do not think I would be silly enough to ever try that again. It is a Pete Dye course, a lot a blind tee shots and from the back tees all you see are waste areas everywhere you look.

If you ever want to get your butt kicked, this would be a good starting off point.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

I am not sure of the slope but the hardest I have played is Carnoustie. It is not only a hard course but it is visually intimidating as well. A lot of the other difficult courses seem to have a couple of holes where you can take a breath. I felt at Carnoustie that every hole made you play as well as you can play. On my trip I also played The Old Course and Turnberry as well as some others but I was never intimidated on any of them like I was at Carnoustie.

Not sure about ratings/slope, but taking course conditions and/or weather into account I've played some BRUTAL tournament rounds at places like The Fort GC in Indianapolis, Katke-Cousins GC in Rochester, MI, and Diablo Grande in Patterson, CA.

A big, nasty rating/slope number can be intimidating, but at least IMO they aren't always necessary for a course to play really difficult.

I just looked up Kapalua, and at 71.7/130 from the regular tees that I played, apparently its not ranked too hard. But as a first time player, there are a ton of blind shots, crazy amounts of wind, lots of OB, huge elevation changes, and rock hard greens with confusing ocean breaks.

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

Three years ago, played the tips on Ocean Course @ Kiawah when winds were up in late afternoon. Proshop almost did not let myself and partner go out due to late time of day, stated pace of play was normally horrible in those conditions. When we both returned in a little over four hours with scores of 75 and 77, staff seemed very impressed.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

This small course in San Antionio when I was visiting names canyon springs. Super fast greens. And blind fairways. I felt like I was going crazy playing there

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

[quote name='RJRJRJ' timestamp='1382482455' post='8042283']
I just looked up Kapalua, and at 71.7/130 from the regular tees that I played, apparently its not ranked too hard. But as a first time player, there are a ton of blind shots, crazy amounts of wind, lots of OB, huge elevation changes, and rock hard greens with confusing ocean breaks.
[/quote]

I actually agree with that assessment. First lap around that course will make you question the validity of your handicap

[sign here]

nothing too crazy, my course from the tips (one of the 18's) is 74.5/140 or something like that. I feel it should probably be a bit tougher but that's just because driving has been a weakness this year and it's got a lot of OB.

Stowe Mountain in Vermont is the weirdest course i've played. 141 slope, tiny greens, a lot of elevation changes. Short course but you can lose a ton of balls

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The Ranch in San Jose. Only ~6700 yards and rated 73, but a slope of 152. Shortest set of par 3s I've ever seen. Rest of the course consists of a lot of elevation change, hazards, and quite a few forced (but not scary long) carries from the tee and into greens - visual intimidation with big numbers lurking. Off the tee, club selection and line are crucial. Most fairways are generous, but if you miss you'll be taking a drop. Bad bounces aplenty. Have played it a handful of times and am still figuring it out, a rangefinder with slope would really help me eliminate a lot of guesswork off the tee.

Purgatory Golf Links in Noblesville, Indiana. 7754 yards from the "Purgatory" tees, 78.1/142. Most fun I've had while getting my rear-end handed to me.

Srixon Z785 
Cleveland Classic XL 14*, Black Tie X
Srixon Z945 3-PW, Project X 6.5
Cleveland RTX 3 52*, 56* 60*, Dynamic Gold 
Odyssey Sabretooth Backstryke w/Flat Cat 

1st. Crappy Par 3 near Deer Island outside Orlando. Tiny, rock hard, dead greens, dirt and pebbles in the bunkers, and 4" tall bahia rough on hardpan everywhere else.

Nearly impossible to score. After 3 holes, you didn't even want to score due to demoralization! Eagle Greens or something. It's long gone.

2nd. Isleworth set up for Masters practice and club championship. Greens were shaved down to within a 1/16" of their lives.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

Karsten Creek in Stillwater Oklahoma..greens are so fast if you run a put three foot by and catch a down slope or not get it over a ridge your ball could easily end up off the green. Tee shots are all optical illusions, if you don't play there much you can't possibly know where a safe place to aim is, and there is like fairway,y 10 yards of rough, after that your ball is in rattlesnake infested forest that you would be crazy to enter.
Cimarron national in Guthrie Oklahoma, a creek runs through the entire golf course and they make you hit 5 iron of every tee with a 3 wood for a second shot into small greens surrounded by evergreen trees.

Bethpage black is the most difficult course I've ever played. I played shortly after the 2002 US Open and the course was in "tournament shape" so the slope and rating were probably a bit "low" for how the course truly played

[b]TaylorMade M1 9.5º Fujikura Pro XLR8 Stiff
Titleist 915Fd 15* GD p9003x
Titleist 913Hd 18º D+ 90Hy X flex
Titleist T-mb 4-9 DG S400 2º flat
Titleist SM6 46.08 & 50.10 F-Grind DG S400 2º flat
Titleist Vokey V-grind 54.10 & 58.10 DG Hi-Rev Wedge+ 2º flat
Titleist Cameron & Crown Golo5
Current HDCP 5.9 (as of 11/2016)[/b]
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/902791-conrad283s-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

The toughest courses I've played are Bethpage Black and the back 9 on Kiawah. Even with no wind blowing Kiawah's back 9 is insane. With the wind blowing it will make you look like a fool!

However, there is a local course here ranked in the top 100 that has an event known as The Extreme Open. The already difficult course is set up in well, an extreme manner. I have no idea how fast the greens were last year but 15 or 16 stimp would probably be about right. Putting off the green is very common and expected! The pin on every green is placed in a spot that is near impossible to even putt to. Every tee is one step from the rear edge of the tee box. Here is a great statistic, 1,296 holes were played and there were 21 birdies! Now we are talking low handicap players, mini tour pros, club pros, ringers from the east coast, hell ringers from all over the county, even current pga tour pros played in this. 21 birdies for the day!

TPC at Avenel. Played as a guest one Monday after the old Kemper Open. Course was set up/left set up just as it had been on Sunday's final round. Lightening fast greens, loooooong par 4s, one was 460 yds. Scratch to 10 hdcps were struggling to break 80. A lot in the mid 80s, 90s too. Long day, but fun to see what it really is like. Now when someone says, " I could..." I just laugh and think about that Monday.

[quote name='italianstallion' timestamp='1382470795' post='8041285']
Two hardest I've played were Bethpage (76.6/144) and TPC Sawgrass Stadium (76.8/155). Not even looking at the course rating and slope, the Stadium course is definitely a tougher golf course than Bethpage. Bethpage is long and has thick rough, but its greens are flat, which means a good player can take advantage. I've found that the course can be overpowered if you've got the length to do it.

Sawgrass on the other hand cannot be overpowered, which is why you see tour players hitting hybrids and 3 woods off every tee. You have to lay back off the tee, even on the long par 4's, which means you've got longer shots into hard, fast, undulating postage-stamp greens. You have to pick your spots and plot your way around Sawgrass. It can be maddening but at the same time very rewarding when you pull it off.
[/quote]

I agree about Bethpage Black -- it's long and hard, but all the trouble is in front of you, the greens aren't roller coasters, and there are few blind shots. If you have an upright swing plane and can hack it out of the rough decently, and can deal with the sand around the greens, it's playable. I played from the tips the year before the first Open there and was pretty pleased with how I played. The Pit down in Pinehurst -- now that was a rugged track. I never got to Tobacco Road.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

[quote name='italianstallion' timestamp='1382470795' post='8041285']
[/quote]

'Very typical of a Pete Dye course. Rarely a flat lie, risk/reward on just about every shot, crazy greens, and oh, and odd pot bunker and railroad tie, or two.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0