Skycaddie Touch

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sheppy335' timestamp='1390420066' post='8510521']
At first i am thinking Iphone and Andriod OS then slowly it will include other things and more Andriods.

I could be wrong also, we will find out soon enough. If only an Iphone they will limit the audience but i am also sure you can sync it up via computer also.
[/quote]

I have no doubt that it will be synch-able with a PC, as this has been standard on every device since the original SG1. However, the ability to sync via BT with a smartphone is a key new feature, eliminating one of the major annoyances of the device. If you happen to be on travel, and away from your PC, and your plans change, you are SOL if the course is not loaded on your device. I "upgraded" from an SGX to an SGXw to get the WiFi sync feature, only to discover that the WiFi network had to be browser-less (i.e. no user agreement page). Given that the majority of open WiFi networks require one to click a terms of usage agreement using a browser, the feature has been pretty much worthless. I'm really hoping that the BT sync corrects this deficiency, but as I mentioned, I'm not holding my breath that all phones will be supported initially, or ever. Given my past experience with SkyGolf software, I expect several patches before the feature works.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1390421080' post='8510651']
If it has 34,000 courses preloaded, does that mean you won't have to buy a subscription or do the preloaded ones just offer very basic information.

What will you have to download through the phone if the courses are already in there?
[/quote]

The preloaded courses will likely have basic yardage data only. The advanced features are only available as part of a subscription. If you want basic yardage only, there are other cheaper options out there that would be a better match. The value of a SkyCaddie is in the advanced features.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1390421185' post='8510667']
At first i am thinking Iphone and Andriod OS then slowly it will include other things and more Andriods.

I could be wrong also, we will find out soon enough. If only an Iphone they will limit the audience but i am also sure you can sync it up via computer also.
[/quote]

I have no doubt that it will be synch-able with a PC, as this has been standard on every device since the original SG1. However, the ability to sync via BT with a smartphone is a key new feature, eliminating one of the major annoyances of the device. If you happen to be on travel, and away from your PC, and your plans change, you are SOL if the course is not loaded on your device. I "upgraded" from an SGX to an SGXw to get the WiFi sync feature, only to discover that the WiFi network had to be browser-less (i.e. no user agreement page). Given that the majority of open WiFi networks require one to click a terms of usage agreement using a browser, the feature has been pretty much worthless. I'm really hoping that the BT sync corrects this deficiency, but as I mentioned, I'm not holding my breath that all phones will be supported initially, or ever. Given my past experience with SkyGolf software, I expect several patches before the feature works.
[/quote]

I agree with you the syncing using BT is a major positive. I also have the SGXw but I have not had to deal with the issue you have. I like that I can sync using my home wifi network rather than hooking it up to the computer. It is a lot faster. But I also agree the inability to connect to wifi networks that require browser input is a problem.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

If the onDEMAND HD data does add more detail and makes the display/information close to a tour caddies yardage book, that is a very good move. Between Garmin and the phone apps, anybody can take a satellite picture and give you basic yardages. But when you add onDEMAND HD along with intelligreen Pro, Pinpoint, and mapping the course through walking to give you more yardage information, you are getting a lot more than what the others offer. You if have the same information as everyone and charge a subscription fee, you lose. If you offer a lot more information that others do not have and have a subscription, you can compete.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1390424389' post='8510993']
If the onDEMAND HD data does add more detail and makes the display/information close to a tour caddies yardage book, that is a very good move. Between Garmin and the phone apps, anybody can take a satellite picture and give you basic yardages. But when you add onDEMAND HD along with intelligreen Pro, Pinpoint, and mapping the course through walking to give you more yardage information, you are getting a lot more than what the others offer. You if have the same information as everyone and charge a subscription fee, you lose. If you offer a lot more information that others do not have and have a subscription, you can compete.
[/quote]

I certainly hope the onDemand feature doesn't require continuous connection to a smartphone to be usable. If the data is downloaded to the Touch when syncing, then fine, but a continuous connection would be a PITA.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1390425385' post='8511103']
[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1390424389' post='8510993']
[/quote]

I certainly hope the onDemand feature doesn't require continuous connection to a smartphone to be usable. If the data is downloaded to the Touch when syncing, then fine, but a continuous connection would be a PITA.
[/quote]

Based on the press release, you will be able to download and store up to 100 HD courses.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Reading through some of the info from Skycaddie, on of the things I am excited about was the ability to enter in pin positions off of a pin sheet. As somebody who plays in tournaments where we get pin sheets all the time that appears to be a nice upgrade, directed at the "better" player if you will who might have been attracted to laser to get that exact distance.

I seem to be in the minority of scratch players who actually prefer a GPS, which for me has always been Skycaddie. It seems in the tournaments I play in, a good 90% are using lasers.

I just renewed my membership for my SGXw, and I received an email last night with a coupon offering a $50 discount on the Touch, which based on the screenshot in the email, would result in a $249 price for a new Touch. Hmmmmm, tempting.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1390490825' post='8516189']
I just renewed my membership for my SGXw, and I received an email last night with a coupon offering a $50 discount on the Touch, which based on the screenshot in the email, would result in a $249 price for a new Touch. Hmmmmm, tempting.
[/quote]

Nice. I have two years left before my renewal so I cannot do the same to get the $50 off.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1390496540' post='8516767']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1390490825' post='8516189']
[/quote]

Nice. I have two years left before my renewal so I cannot do the same to get the $50 off.
[/quote]

Two years is like twenty years in technological advances. (of course $50 will be like $44 then)

X________________________________ Sign Here

• 2 weeks later...

[/quote]

I have no doubt that it will be synch-able with a PC, as this has been standard on every device since the original SG1. However, the ability to sync via BT with a smartphone is a key new feature, eliminating one of the major annoyances of the device. If you happen to be on travel, and away from your PC, and your plans change, you are SOL if the course is not loaded on your device. I "upgraded" from an SGX to an SGXw to get the WiFi sync feature, [b]only to discover that the WiFi network had to be browser-less (i.e. no user agreement page). Given that the majority of open WiFi networks require one to click a terms of usage agreement using a browser, the feature has been pretty much worthless[/b]. I'm really hoping that the BT sync corrects this deficiency, but as I mentioned, I'm not holding my breath that all phones will be supported initially, or ever. Given my past experience with SkyGolf software, I expect several patches before the feature works.
[/quote]

You could just set your smartphone to be a WiFi hotspot.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

[quote name='mwkbmw' timestamp='1391614763' post='8603059']

[/quote]

I have no doubt that it will be synch-able with a PC, as this has been standard on every device since the original SG1. However, the ability to sync via BT with a smartphone is a key new feature, eliminating one of the major annoyances of the device. If you happen to be on travel, and away from your PC, and your plans change, you are SOL if the course is not loaded on your device. I "upgraded" from an SGX to an SGXw to get the WiFi sync feature, [b]only to discover that the WiFi network had to be browser-less (i.e. no user agreement page). Given that the majority of open WiFi networks require one to click a terms of usage agreement using a browser, the feature has been pretty much worthless[/b]. I'm really hoping that the BT sync corrects this deficiency, but as I mentioned, I'm not holding my breath that all phones will be supported initially, or ever. Given my past experience with SkyGolf software, I expect several patches before the feature works.
[/quote]

You could just set your smartphone to be a WiFi hotspot.
[/quote]

Yes, now that carriers are eliminating unlimited data plans, they can't BS the FCC and restrict hotspotting. I was not able to hotspot on my old Sprint phone with unlimited data, but now that I have a capped plan on Verizon, I can do this.

I have a SGX and love it. What I hate about it is the zoom. It allows you to move up the fairway. But doesn't really zoom in. Graphics stay small and hard to pinpoint exactly. If this new Touch gives a better zoom in and larger graphics, it will be well worth it for me. Working wireless or Bluetooth will be great, but the images on the screen are more important to me. I play with people using other brands, and lasers. My SGX is right on with the laser, using the predetermined pinpoints at one of the courses I play. I believe they are more accurate than any other brand.

[quote name='BCham454' timestamp='1391650953' post='8606951']
I have a SGX and love it. What I hate about it is the zoom. It allows you to move up the fairway. But doesn't really zoom in. Graphics stay small and hard to pinpoint exactly. If this new Touch gives a better zoom in and larger graphics, it will be well worth it for me. Working wireless or Bluetooth will be great, but the images on the screen are more important to me. I play with people using other brands, and lasers. My SGX is right on with the laser, using the predetermined pinpoints at one of the courses I play. I believe they are more accurate than any other brand.
[/quote]

Apparently the zoom function was quite controversial when it first came out. The area displayed at each zoom level is fixed, so it doesn't allow you to center the display on a specific area. This can be problematic on par 5's, as your landing area winds up at the bottom, or just off the bottom of the display. Hopefully the new Touch will allow the user to center the display on any point, and pinch to zoom.

• 4 weeks later...

If they are allowing course downloads from smartphone via an App (I assume over bluetooth) I hope they address the horrible "feature" where adding one course requires all courses to be re-downloaded. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to sync over USB now it should take seconds and it takes 10-15 minutes...

I wont be stupid enough to pre-order this like i did with the SGX, they basically made us all beta testers for that device

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1393617307' post='8766444']
If they are allowing course downloads from smartphone via an App (I assume over bluetooth) I hope they address the horrible "feature" where adding one course requires all courses to be re-downloaded. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to sync over USB now it should take seconds and it takes 10-15 minutes...

I wont be stupid enough to pre-order this like i did with the SGX, they basically made us all beta testers for that device
[/quote]

Lol. It wasn't just the SGX. [b]Every [/b]Skycaddie device was released before it was ready for prime time. Software development and quality assurance are certainly not SkyGolf's strong suit.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1393624929' post='8767252']

[/quote]

Lol. It wasn't just the SGX. [b]Every [/b]Skycaddie device was released before it was ready for prime time. Software development and quality assurance are certainly not SkyGolf's strong suit.
[/quote]

True... I was just stupid enough to buy the SGX on pre-order the SG2, 4 and 5 I bought after they had been out for awhile...

[/quote]

When you sync the SGXw over Wifi, it does not reload courses. It takes me about 30 seconds to sync. I hardly ever connect my SGXw to my computer.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1393629088' post='8767642']

[/quote]

When you sync the SGXw over Wifi, it does not reload courses. It takes me about 30 seconds to sync. I hardly ever connect my SGXw to my computer.
[/quote]

Good to know, just have the SGX here , not the SGXw... Hopefully the Touch will behave the way you describe the SGXw...

I was smart to buy the SGX about a year after release so i did the updates and device wasnt an issue. You are correct about course repeat download and it will be nice if it follows SGXw in seperate downloads.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1390421080' post='8510651']
If it has 34,000 courses preloaded, does that mean you won't have to buy a subscription or do the preloaded ones just offer very basic information.

What will you have to download through the phone if the courses are already in there?
[/quote]

The SGX has a bunch preloaded with just F / M / B yardage and the scorecard, when you have the membership you get the additional info, carries / layups / hazards etc.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1386108751' post='8243840']
[quote name='mike johnston' timestamp='1386107585' post='8243750']
Big question will be Subscription fees :(
[/quote]

I don't have a problem with the fees. I guess if I played only a handful of courses a year, it might bug me. However, I play dozens of new courses around the country each year, and having good data on my GPS is worth $40.
[/quote]

I don't mind the fee either, it's basically a decent bar tab and since I too play new courses, as well as get some of my locals updated now and then, it's no big deal.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Well like many of you have mentioned the setbacks are already starting for this unit. When I pre-ordered I was told it would ship on 3/21. Since we are getting close to that date I decided to "live chat" with a representative today to confirm the ship date and sure enough it's already been pushed back to an "estimated" 4/15 ship date!!!! Since I live in Ohio I went ahead and sold my old skycaddie believing that a unit coming in late March wouldn't cost me many (or any) rounds without a GPS. Now that it's pushed back I'm without a unit. I know it's only 3 and 1/2 weeks later, but that is just an "estimate" could be longer. Needless to say I'm not happy. I'm not sure I would have preordered knowing this and I'm sure I wouldn't have sold my other gps device.

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

[quote name='dearth12' timestamp='1394674840' post='8859765']
Well like many of you have mentioned the setbacks are already starting for this unit. When I pre-ordered I was told it would ship on 3/21. Since we are getting close to that date I decided to "live chat" with a representative today to confirm the ship date and sure enough it's already been pushed back to an "estimated" 4/15 ship date!!!! Since I live in Ohio I went ahead and sold my old skycaddie believing that a unit coming in late March wouldn't cost me many (or any) rounds without a GPS. Now that it's pushed back I'm without a unit. I know it's only 3 and 1/2 weeks later, but that is just an "estimate" could be longer. Needless to say I'm not happy. I'm not sure I would have preordered knowing this and I'm sure I wouldn't have sold my other gps device.
[/quote]

You should have it by labor day weekend...

[/quote]

I believe Skycaddies are the best GPS you can buy but I have learned over the years that when it comes to ship dates from them, don't believe any date until they say they are shipping. Their marketing history is to be too optimistic saying when a product will be available for purchase.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1394723798' post='8862757']
[/quote]

I believe Skycaddies are the best GPS you can buy but I have learned over the years that when it comes to ship dates from them, don't believe any date until they say they are shipping. Their marketing history is to be too optimistic saying when a product will be available for purchase.
[/quote]

However, consider it a blessing in disguise. Hopefully they're working out a few of the kinks, and it'll be 100% bug free when it arrives! ;-) SkyGolf is notorious for shipping buggy devices. I don't expect this one to be any better, but a delay should mean a slightly less buggy experience. I hope.