Skycaddie Touch

[quote name='Dei3Nascar8' timestamp='1399172645' post='9227373']
[quote name='torbill' timestamp='1399137693' post='9224535']
[quote name='Dei3Nascar8' timestamp='1399034646' post='9217053']
[quote name='torbill' timestamp='1398997204' post='9215445']
[quote name='Dei3Nascar8' timestamp='1398995227' post='9215191']
TGW is now reporting delivery pushed back till September. Order cancelled! Anyone have any options for GPS that shows hole overlays and hazards like the touch? I use it mostly for planning out shots and distances to hazards that are not easy to shoot with the range finder.
[/quote]

I just checked the TGW website. It shows delivery time is being 2 to 4 weeks. Not September. Where did you get September?
[/quote]

It was on my account order - "back order" page. I also called to confirm with the representative and she said the same thing.
[/quote]

I'd be surprised if your information is correct. Look at the Skycaddie website. They are no longer even selling the SGX and SGXW. I do not believe that they would leave their entire high end product line empty until September.
[/quote]

Well I don't know what to tell you, I was just passing on the information I was given. Feel free to call them if you would like. I checked my account to provide a screen shot but it now says "Customer Cancelled".
[/quote]

"Thank you for contacting us. An email was sent today regarding the SkyCaddie Touch pre-order. The SkyCaddie Touch has required a component change due to a sub-vendor issue. Normal lead times on the replacement parts range up to 6-8 weeks and will require retesting and certification. We are working to shorten the delay, but we will not have more definitive information on the expected manufacturing commencement date for another 2-3 weeks. As soon as we have more information, we will let you know."

I purchased the Garmin G6 after receiving the notification that there was an upcoming delay in speaking to a TGW.com rep as stated above. Not sure why the G7/G8 have slope built in as this is not an option I would want standard. The G6 does everything that I want with regards to hazards and planning strategy off the tee. Have not played a course that was not in the unit and have significantly shorter Satellite connection times than with the skycaddie. I am getting over 2 rounds of golf per charge. I don't use all the bells and whistles and am extremely happy with what the G6 has to offer.

• Replies 705
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody given any thought to getting the Golf Buddy PT4?

I am seriously thinking about getting my refund from the Touch preorder and using the money to purchase the PT4

Thanks

Ross

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Nope. Been very happy with my four models of SkyCaddies through the years, once I've overcome the initial bugs and CS hassles. I'll use my SGXw for a third and final season, and probably pick up a Touch this fall after they've (hopefully) worked out the kinks. 'Looking forward to the Bluetooth sync capability with my phone.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Having owned and used a Garmin G6 and Callaway uPro MX+, I appreciate the quality of what Skycaddie provides. Yes the maps are free with Garmin but you get exactly what you pay for with the Garmin maps. Initially you had to pay for the uPro maps that provided detail information and far exceeds the quality of the Garmin maps but were not quite as good as the Skycaddie maps. Walking the course provides just enough better info compared to the Callaway. I can wait until the Touch is available as my SGXw is working just fine and providing me with the exact information I want.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1395977277' post='8966469']
[quote name='BCham454' timestamp='1395961932' post='8964775']
Yes already paid in full, but still have my SGX. It's for sale
[/quote]

Yeah I have a SGX too, most companies when they do preorders don't actually bill your CC until the item ships. I saw this coming they did it with the SGX too. I think they literally fund the initial manufacturering costs with people's preorder money...
[/quote]

I agree, and never have trusted Skycaddie, yet own an SG5. Well managed and funded companies do not bill until product is shipped. That as a given, recently, I have noticed more and more company's selling what they don't have in inventory, and making excuses as if acceptable. A glaring sign of poorly managed company.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='torbill' timestamp='1399137693' post='9224535']
[quote name='Dei3Nascar8' timestamp='1399034646' post='9217053']
[quote name='torbill' timestamp='1398997204' post='9215445']
[quote name='Dei3Nascar8' timestamp='1398995227' post='9215191']
TGW is now reporting delivery pushed back till September. Order cancelled! Anyone have any options for GPS that shows hole overlays and hazards like the touch? I use it mostly for planning out shots and distances to hazards that are not easy to shoot with the range finder.
[/quote]

I just checked the TGW website. It shows delivery time is being 2 to 4 weeks. Not September. Where did you get September?
[/quote]

It was on my account order - "back order" page. I also called to confirm with the representative and she said the same thing.
[/quote]

I'd be surprised if your information is correct. Look at the Skycaddie website. They are no longer even selling the SGX and SGXW. I do not believe that they would leave their entire high end product line empty until September.
[/quote]

As of today, SGX and SGXW are on back order, and Touch is Pre-Order

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1400270188' post='9309997']
Having owned and used a Garmin G6 and Callaway uPro MX+, I appreciate the quality of what Skycaddie provides. Yes the maps are free with Garmin but you get exactly what you pay for with the Garmin maps. Initially you had to pay for the uPro maps that provided detail information and far exceeds the quality of the Garmin maps but were not quite as good as the Skycaddie maps. Walking the course provides just enough better info compared to the Callaway. I can wait until the Touch is available as my SGXw is working just fine and providing me with the exact information I want.
[/quote]

I was actually playing a course a few years back when I noticed a guy walking along the fairway edge ahead wearing some type of contraption. He looked like a cyborg. As I approached, I noticed the GPS antenna above his head, and a SkyGolf logo on the device. I chatted with him for a few minutes, and he was indeed a mapper working for SkyGolf. He walked the fairway edges, bunker boundaries, and green perimeters. 'Pretty interesting stuff at the time.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1400271468' post='9310145']
[/quote]

I was actually playing a course a few years back when I noticed a guy walking along the fairway edge ahead wearing some type of contraption. He looked like a cyborg. As I approached, I noticed the GPS antenna above his head, and a SkyGolf logo on the device. I chatted with him for a few minutes, and he was indeed a mapper working for SkyGolf. He walked the fairway edges, bunker boundaries, and green perimeters. 'Pretty interesting stuff at the time.
[/quote]

PGA Tour caddie Mark Long mapped many of the Atlanta area courses. When I talked to a number courses about Skycaddie, they all mentioned meeting him. He did this during his winter off time from the tour. That might be part of the reason I am so happy with the quality of the mapings.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1400272509' post='9310239']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1400271468' post='9310145']
[/quote]

[/quote]

PGA Tour caddie Mark Long mapped many of the Atlanta area courses. When I talked to a number courses about Skycaddie, they all mentioned meeting him. He did this during his winter off time from the tour. That might be part of the reason I am so happy with the quality of the mapings.
[/quote]

I've played close to 1000 rounds with my various Skycaddies, and I never had a problem with the data. There are a handful of features that I'd like to see, and hopefully I will on the new Touch.

Of course, my direct dealings with the company are another thing. Oy.

Reading through this thread I can't believe anyone would persist with such a shonky company. I previously owned the SG5 and whilst it was an Ok device it had the following drawbacks that made it a bit of a PITA.

1. $50 annual fee. Not much money but that only covered NZ courses. No use when I travel overseas, which I do quite frequently.
2. It could only hold 20 courses at a time. Too bad if you haven't loaded a particular course in advance or decided to play another course that wasn't pre planned. Also it was a pain having to drop a course from the existing 20 pre loaded.
3. Syncing the courses was just another hassle I could do without.
4. Several courses I played had changed their course layout rendering the Skycaddie virtually useless on some or all holes. Multiple emails to their help desk brought no response whatsoever.

The reminder that your subscription would soon be due about 3 months before it was actually due was another nice Sky Caddie touch. So after 3 years of use I decided enough was enough and last year I bought the Garmin G6. Terrific unit. 30,000 pre loaded courses worldwide, no annual sub, accuracy is good and the touch screen allows you to measure layup shots, distances to hazzards etc. There was a problem with the layout of one of my local courses so I contacted Garmin helpdesk and had the problem sorted within 24 hours. Great service. Great battery life too. I can get three full rounds out of this unit whereas the SC would barely last two rounds.

Garmin also make great GPS units for hunting, hiking, biking etc so you know they stand behind their products. Don't know much about the G7 or 8 but very happy with my G6.

The supposed extra accuracy of the Sky Caddie is the bit I find a little bemusing. My buddy (with his Sky Caddie) and I stand on the fairway and both our devices give us very similar yardages to front, center and back of the green. What is this mysterious extra accuracy that the SC has from their guys 'walking the course'? The basic information it provides the golfer is still the same isn't it? I have tested the Garmin versus a Bushnell V2 laser and it was very accurate.

Having said all that I never experienced any of the software bugs or delivery delays you guys are talking about. That would be the final straw for me.

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

[quote name='kiwihacker' timestamp='1400278629' post='9310741']
Reading through this thread I can't believe anyone would persist with such a shonky company. I previously owned the SG5 and whilst it was an Ok device it had the following drawbacks that made it a bit of a PITA.

1. $50 annual fee. Not much money but that only covered NZ courses. No use when I travel overseas, which I do quite frequently.
2. It could only hold 20 courses at a time. Too bad if you haven't loaded a particular course in advance or decided to play another course that wasn't pre planned. Also it was a pain having to drop a course from the existing 20 pre loaded.
4. Several courses I played had changed their course layout rendering the Skycaddie virtually useless on some or all holes. Multiple emails to their help desk brought no response whatsoever.

The reminder that your subscription would soon be due about 3 months before it was actually due was another nice Sky Caddie touch. So after 3 years of use I decided enough was enough and last year I bought the Garmin G6. Terrific unit. 30,000 pre loaded courses worldwide, no annual sub, accuracy is good and the touch screen allows you to measure layup shots, distances to hazzards etc. There was a problem with the layout of one of my local courses so I contacted Garmin helpdesk and had the problem sorted within 24 hours. Great service. Great battery life too. I can get three full rounds out of this unit whereas the SC would barely last two rounds.

Garmin also make great GPS units for hunting, hiking, biking etc so you know they stand behind their products. Don't know much about the G7 or 8 but very happy with my G6.

The supposed extra accuracy of the Sky Caddie is the bit I find a little bemusing. My buddy (with his Sky Caddie) and I stand on the fairway and both our devices give us very similar yardages to front, center and back of the green. What is this mysterious extra accuracy that the SC has from their guys 'walking the course'? The basic information it provides the golfer is still the same isn't it? I have tested the Garmin versus a Bushnell V2 laser and it was very accurate.

Having said all that I never experienced any of the software bugs or delivery delays you guys are talking about. That would be the final straw for me.
[/quote]

The fee is no big deal for me. I played 80 rounds on 51 different courses last year, which is a typical year for me. At least 30 courses were first visits, so having an accurate layout of the holes is important. I probably spend in excessive of $10,000 a year on golf, equipment, and travel, so $50 is the least of my worries.

My SGXw holds 50 courses. Yeah, I wish it held more, but I've never been in a situation where I couldn't load a course I was planning to play. The new Touch should allow BT syncing with a smartphone, so I'll always have a course available if necessary.

I've used my SC for nearly 1000 rounds, and I think I've had an outdated course once or twice. Sux, sure, but not a showstopper.

It's not the accuracy of the distance to F/C/B that's important. The layout of the hole, the shape and distances of the bunkers, the contouring of the green, and the ability to rotate the green to reflect your approach angle are probably more important than the distances. The ability to move the cursor to the pin position, and get updates F/C/B distances is the most important feature. Knowing the green is only 15 yards deep on the line to the flag is the important bit, not the fact that the green is 30 yards deep in the center.

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1400282343' post='9311025']

[/quote]

The fee is no big deal for me. I played 80 rounds on 51 different courses last year, which is a typical year for me. At least 30 courses were first visits, so having an accurate layout of the holes is important. I probably spend in excessive of $10,000 a year on golf, equipment, and travel, so $50 is the least of my worries.

My SGXw holds 50 courses. Yeah, I wish it held more, but I've never been in a situation where I couldn't load a course I was planning to play. The new Touch should allow BT syncing with a smartphone, so I'll always have a course available if necessary.

I've used my SC for nearly 1000 rounds, and I think I've had an outdated course once or twice. Sux, sure, but not a showstopper.

It's not the accuracy of the distance to F/C/B that's important. The layout of the hole, the shape and distances of the bunkers, the contouring of the green, and the ability to rotate the green to reflect your approach angle are probably more important than the distances. The ability to move the cursor to the pin position, and get updates F/C/B distances is the most important feature. Knowing the green is only 15 yards deep on the line to the flag is the important bit, not the fact that the green is 30 yards deep in the center.
[/quote]

And to to those excellent points, I live in north Georgia where you do not get a lot of flat lies. The Skycaddie gives you target yardages where can get those flat lies. This especially helps when it is not a course you know. Plus with Pinpoint, I can get the yardage to the center of the zone being used that day. It is really helps with course management and hitting the ball to the right part of the green and just hitting the green.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1400286481' post='9311391']

[/quote]

[/quote]

And to to those excellent points, I live in north Georgia where you do not get a lot of flat lies. The Skycaddie gives you target yardages where can get those flat lies. This especially helps when it is not a course you know. Plus with Pinpoint, I can get the yardage to the center of the zone being used that day. It is really helps with course management and hitting the ball to the right part of the green and just hitting the green.
[/quote]

The Garmin G6 does all of this as well. Yardages are, in my experiences, within yards of the Skycaddie and laser. 2 yards either way with each devise does not cause me any worry. I wish the G6 would use AA batteries though. I have been able to get 45 holes on a single charge so far. I play a lot of 36 hole days and so far I don't have any issues. Hit them straight, with any devise you use!

[quote name='Dei3Nascar8' timestamp='1400373435' post='9315829']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The Garmin G6 does all of this as well. Yardages are, in my experiences, within yards of the Skycaddie and laser. 2 yards either way with each devise does not cause me any worry. I wish the G6 would use AA batteries though. I have been able to get 45 holes on a single charge so far. I play a lot of 36 hole days and so far I don't have any issues. Hit them straight, with any devise you use!
[/quote]

I owned a Garmin G6. The G6 is not in the same league to the SGX / SGXw when it comes to quality of the information and display. It is not just about accuracy. I can quickly and easily get my yardages, some which the G6 does not have. And I do not need to move my finger across the screen to get my yardages, they are in a list that has all I need in one screen. When it comes comes to Pinpoint, forget about it if you have a G6. Out in the bright sunlight and want to read the screen. Forget about it if you have a G6. I have a number of other posts that detail the how the G6 is lacking. If the main argument for the G6 is the free maps, remember you get what you pay for.

Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1400378283' post='9316263']
[quote name='Dei3Nascar8' timestamp='1400373435' post='9315829']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I owned a Garmin G6. The G6 is not in the same league to the SGX / SGXw when it comes to quality of the information and display. It is not just about accuracy. I can quickly and easily get my yardages, some which the G6 does not have. And I do not need to move my finger across the screen to get my yardages, they are in a list that has all I need in one screen. When it comes comes to Pinpoint, forget about it if you have a G6. Out in the bright sunlight and want to read the screen. Forget about it if you have a G6. I have a number of other posts that detail the how the G6 is lacking. If the main argument for the G6 is the free maps, remember you get what you pay for.
[/quote]

I agree that the Skycaddie maps are more detailed in that they don't look like a computer generated overlay. I'm also not trying to argue any of your points. I mainly use my GPS for course management. Tee ball placement, hazard layup, etc. I rely on my laser range finder for pin accuracy so I may be using the G6 different than those who only have a GPS for yardages. As for having to use your finger to touch the screen this was exactly what I wanted and the reason for the G6 purchase (when the Touch was delayed). When playing a short par 4 or par 5, I want to know what it is to carry the trouble as well as laying up. The G6 gives me the info as well as what is remaining to the hole. This way I know if the reward for trying to carry the trouble out weighs that of laying up short. It was that reason that I was going to get the touch. Having used both the Garmin and Skycaddie models, I personally, don't see a big difference. This may just be the way that I use the device though. I may purchase a touch in a few years but I don't feel that the G6 is that insufficient when compared to the specs of the touch.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah I hear you. I'm sure they wanted the Touch released for this season but it's looking less likely. All our local stores don't even carry the SGX or SGXw only the Breeze. Played with the Garmin G8 and wasn't overly impressed and it reminded me why I returned the G6 last year. Hoping the GB PT4 comes into the stores soon. My GB tour still works but I'm ready for an upgrade.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have any updates on what is going on with the Touch and when they would expect them to FINALLY ship?

Thanks,

Ross

Taylormade M3 w/ Tensei CK White-70X
Taylormade SIM 5 wood w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-80X
Sub 70 699u Pro 2 iron 17* w/ HZRDUS Smoke Black-90X
Mizuno MMC 4-6 w/ Dynamic Gold- X100

Mizuno MP20 7-PW w/ Dynamic Gold-X100
Mizuno MP T20 50*, 54*, 58* w/ Dynamic Gold S-400 
Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

Talked to a rep. A few days ago. He told me, I will be notified when it's ready to ship. They would NOT answer any of my questions, concerning when or why. Everything seems to have become top secret now. Just get the same old, We're sorry, will ship when it's ready, bullxxxx. I would like to cancel, but I want to see the Golfbuddy PT4, in person to evaluate it before I pay the xtra money for it. Can't find it in any stores, just online. Checked out the Garmin and it looks cartoonish, and it's so small, it's hard to see. Hated it. So I'm still waiting, since I've already paid. I still have my SGX, so I have something. Really prefer the Skycaddie. Shame they are such a*******, to deal with.

I find it fascinating that this thread started in [b]December[/b], with Skycaddie promising an[b] April[/b] launch date, now it's almost [b]July[/b] with no specific launch date in site and some guys are still hanging on.

At what point does it become not worth it?

X________________________________ Sign Here

I will bet that Skygolf wants the Touch shipped as badly (if not more) as people want go get their Touch that they ordered. They have to losing a bunch of sales because they were not able to ship it earlier this year. But based on the information they sent out, a part needed to be replaced using a different vendor that would require FCC re-certification. And based on the estimate they gave in May, they hoped to ship by early to mid-July. I can also understand that they will not at this point give out an estimated ship date, especially if it is in the re-certification process. I will say it was stupid of them to take pre-orders and require payment at the time of the order. It was also stupid of people to pre-order it knowing they had to pay at the time of the order and Skygolf's history of missing shipping dates. I did not pre-order for that simple reason. I decided I could wait until it was available at my local store.

Callaway Chrome Soft

It's between this and the PT4 for me. I can't find the PT4 to fiddle around with in store. I have liked each Skycaddie I have had and love the website for stats. Most likely I will just hold out for the Touch since I have a Bushnell watch to tide me over

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

[quote name='snagy2000' timestamp='1403899835' post='9592149']
I gave up on Skycaddie and bought a PT4 sight unseen. Best move I've made. PT4 has everything the Skycaddies have except for the detailed greens. Which I doubt many people use since they normally are familiar with the courses they play and overlook this feature or have/use a range finder to get exact pin distance.
[/quote]

Which Skycaddie gps are you comparing it too. I have the SGX. Compare the accuracy to the skycaddie. How good is the zoom in ? Heard its hard to seen in bright sunlight. Also it dims off, then when u touch to bring back, it changes image of where u were. Compare courses you had on skycaddie to how they look on PT4. I know you don't have as much as detailed scoring as you get with Skycaddie. Also, the belt attachment. It looks like what I had for my iPhone, which I stopped using cause I hated it. Prefer the Skycaddie quick release type. These are the things I wanted to see for myself before committing to buy one. Wish I could find one in a store to preview. Interested in your response to these questions. Also what happens if your shot falls outside the mapped area, since they show the hole, but not the extended areas besides, which could contain some obstacles, like water, etc.

[quote name='whsbuss' timestamp='1403992448' post='9598327']
Today I downloaded the SkyGolf 360 app for my iPhone and it sucks. I can't imaging using the Touch to sync to the app when its released. Connecting to the website for syncing was DOG slow.
[/quote]

Sorry, but you seem to have no idea what you are talking about. Perhaps it didn't connect to the website because you had no device to Sync.

I have the new Linx watch. I downloaded the current version of Skygolf 360. Never having paired my Linx with my ipad, I selected the Sync function. The Sync function found the Linx, automatically paired the Linx to the ipad, and performed the Sync, uploading my scores and statistics, then updating my courses. The entire operation took less than three minutes(!). I then went to my iphone and opened the app. The new scores and statistics were there, too.

The simplicity and performance of the Bluetooth function and app are simply incredible, compared to syncing on the SGX. This is a huge leap forward for SGX users.