Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Comments

• bodhi555bodhi555 Members  956WRX Points: 328Handicap: 8Posts: 956 Golden Tee

On -, @NRJyzr said:

On -, @bodhi555 said:

Those Blueprints do look gorgeous - even tho I have the same opinion of Ping some have of T*****t, I would make an exception for these :smile:

It's amazing a company that put out the Zing iron is now producing something like the Blueprints.

Unrelated side note: bodhi, i say, keep flying the Nike flag. Go loud and proud. :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Agreed, they've done a stunning job with these. Only bit I'm unsure about is the screw, which spoils the clean lines slightly, but then if there wasn't something like that they wouldn't be Pings.

I think if I were to pick one of the current blade models though, I really would struggle to see past the P7-TW's. OK they're expensive, and supply is limited, but they're the VR Pros with a TM badge on them, so I'm convinced.

Off to pick up the new 3 wood shortly. I may be 38, but I can't help feeling like a kid on Christmas Day when it's new club day. After a very expensive and grown up week, it's just the tonic required.

Posted:
    The Dee Three: Titleist 917 D3 9.5 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 65X
    The Stenson: Titleist 917 F3 15 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 75X
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 766Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

Played the other day with a guy who had an Arnold Palmer Standard 1-iron (blade, not cb) with a crow bar for a shaft. So naturally I had to hit it. I hit it flush, it got about knee high. And ran out 200+ yards. Don’t see those every day.

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members  4970WRX Points: 459Handicap: JDMPosts: 4,970 Titanium Tees

Bodhi,

The gc2 is crazy accurate regarding distance and direction and flight (assuming you have no boost set on it which I think some stores do) however the swing speed number is not measured, it is calculated while 3yds of fade or draw is measured on a gc2 and is probably On the money. 100mph ss could be 97-103 or whatever. Just my experience with it. You can really tell because when you flush balls it will jump over even a slight mis hit could drop it a more than reasonable amount. I think it uses ball speed and smash factor logic or something.

It is really irrelevant (well to me I guess) in that If flight is dead on with distance and direction and spin/launch is dead on, a calculated guess for SS is more than good enough. But if you want to know a true SS, gc2 is not the right tool for that at all, it is only a guess.

However, I don’t think it would be off by 5% consistently though in the guesses it at least that hasn’t been my experience unless it is +/- 5% total so 2.5% off the correct number. That sounds about right and really
    More Varied on outlier strikes than majority.

Posted:
    Ryoma Maxima 9.5*/Quadra Fire Express
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Roddio 21* hybrid/Tour AD DI75
    Miura 1957 small blades/Nippon 1150 tours
    Wilson Staff V4 tour modus 130
    Mizuno MP-14/DG300-raw finish
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
    Gold's Factory custom original flat-stick amongst a couple dozen others.
  • BigmeanBigmean Everything is Relative Members  4970WRX Points: 459Handicap: JDMPosts: 4,970 Titanium Tees

On -, @bodhi555 said:

Those Blueprints do look gorgeous - even tho I have the same opinion of Ping some have of T*****t, I would make an exception for these :smile:

Not me. Ping iron/wedge hater for life! 😂

That pic with them next to the small blade makes me want to go home and wash off my miura s for the first time since probably last summer....🤮

Major credit to ping though for not being scared to defy convention. They did it with the Eyes, and even if this is really rich coming from them, it is something you would
    Not see a big name do. I respect that, but seriously don’t like those even if they said Mizuno, that hook up in muscle is weird....of course I hit elf shoes yesterday soooo.....

I have a scramble tomorrow, and I am thinking about gaming the onoffs. These things really come down to birdies on the par 3s, other than that it is scoring clubs and putting so it almost doesn’t matter. This course has a 4/5 iron, 7 iron, 8/9 iron and a 6 iron par 3 on it no wind. I am
    Not going to lie, I am more Worried about showing up with Gold irons and all the **** that will bring magnifying bad shots with jokes then I am hitting greens with them. I really Like the set. I am going to hit those and small blades in garage tonight and take the hot hand.....1

Posted:
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59
  • craz-ecraz-e Members  4370WRX Points: 450Handicap: 3Posts: 4,370 Titanium Tees

On -, @Nard_S said:

They are right there with BB & FG 59 in size no? How do they feel?
    I had a forged Glide wedge, thought it was pretty good in feel and performance, so these are probably solid.

Yeah size wise they look perfect to me but I am accustomed to smaller irons.
    They performed really well to be honest, quite forgiving and feeling the ball compress was just as rewarding (although slightly different) to my Miuras or Staff

Posted:
    Driver = Taylormade SIM 7* Hzrdus green 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Wilson Staff FG59,  4-PW
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Scotty Cameron 2020 Special select Del Mar
    Ball = Taylormade TP5 Pix

I am sure they are good, just as NR is positive tha Titleist makes the best gear.

Dude, just got out of garage, played with the epic weights I finally got in from Hong kong (let’s see price of one callaway same as an entire set, yeah, don’t need name brand weight) and after trying weird combos, wound up landing on 7g in the heel and 15g in the back. It is defiantly a higher SW than stock (10 in heel and 2 in back) it feels great, shaft kicks better, hit 80% of balls right and duuuuuudddddeeee. I stopped after about 25 cause playing tomorrow and not overdoing it, but longest was 317 (never got close to that on sim before) 2 more over 310, and a total of 7 over 300. 265 were dog shots. I am seriously 20 yards plus longer with this setup, like for real. Accuracy ain’t Fred funk, but I am at least keeping it inside the white stakes and out there. Looking forward to tomorrow.....

Posted:
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59

Advertisement
  • craz-ecraz-e Members  4370WRX Points: 450Handicap: 3Posts: 4,370 Titanium Tees

On -, @deejaid said:

New Old Stock goodness. Going to make a 1990 era combo set using my NOS CB92’s in the 3-6.

Stunning!

Posted:
    Driver = Taylormade SIM 7* Hzrdus green 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Wilson Staff FG59,  4-PW
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Scotty Cameron 2020 Special select Del Mar
    Ball = Taylormade TP5 Pix
  • NRJyzrNRJyzr Minnesota, USAMembers  7291WRX Points: 1,355Handicap: 7Posts: 7,291 Titanium Tees

Some reasonably attractive clubheads there <3

Posted:
    The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver: Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 43.5"
    3w:  Orlimar persimmon, Dynamic S, 42.5"
    2i:  Mizuno Pro, DGS300
    3-PW:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300
    GW:  Dynacraft forged 52*, DGS400
    SW:  Wilson Staff PMP 58*
    Putter: Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35"
    Balls: in no particular order... Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Professional, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar, Snell MTB Black, Vice Pro Lime... will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time

Sometimes carry 1-SW Golden Ram Tour Grinds w/Dynamic S or 1-SW Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5
    On occasion, Ram 1i or Mizuno 2i replaced with Orlimar persimmon 4w, Dynamic S

Driver Substitutes: Golden Ram TW801, TW802, or TW805
  • NDGolfer13NDGolfer13 Members  1424WRX Points: 323Handicap: GolfPosts: 1,424 Platinum Tees

I have a set of mp18 blades on the way. I’ve hit everything this year from Legacy Black to Miura pp9003 to Cb2008 to Srixon 765 etc etc etc but a buddy of mine who plays on the mini tours wanted to make a trade for them for something I had. The thing is they have x7 shafts. Pretty sure I can’t load them. I bet they will be straight. lol

Pics to come when I have my hands on them.

Posted:
    M5 Kiyoshi Purple
    TM M4 16.5 VA Composites Drago 75
    Epon AF901 19*/22*
    PXG 031X Proto CTaper 125 5-P/Ping I500/I210 KBS Tour 125 5-P
    PXG 0311 Forged 50/56/60-Scratch 1018 50/53/58
    Rife Deep Blue

FOR NOW...........
    All Clubs subject to change relative to my last bad round of golf......

On -, @deejaid said:

New Old Stock goodness. Going to make a 1990 era combo set using my NOS CB92’s in the 3-6.

Stunners wow

Posted:
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59

Advertisement
  • Nard_SNard_S Members  3880WRX Points: 850Handicap: 9Posts: 3,880 Titanium Tees

Nice find on the VIP's.

Posted:

On -, @deejaid said:

Stunning find, what shafts you planning on putting in them?

Posted:

On -, @Bigmean said:

Bodhi,

The gc2 is crazy accurate regarding distance and direction and flight (assuming you have no boost set on it which I think some stores do) however the swing speed number is not measured, it is calculated while 3yds of fade or draw is measured on a gc2 and is probably On the money. 100mph ss could be 97-103 or whatever. Just my experience with it. You can really tell because when you flush balls it will jump over even a slight mis hit could drop it a more than reasonable amount. I think it uses ball speed and smash factor logic or something.

It is really irrelevant (well to me I guess) in that If flight is dead on with distance and direction and spin/launch is dead on, a calculated guess for SS is more than good enough. But if you want to know a true SS, gc2 is not the right tool for that at all, it is only a guess.

However, I don’t think it would be off by 5% consistently though in the guesses it at least that hasn’t been my experience unless it is +/- 5% total so 2.5% off the correct number. That sounds about right and really
    More Varied on outlier strikes than majority.

That does tie in with my experience of using it in the past - I got fit for my hybrid in the same sim. We were aiming for a club that got it out there about 230 consistently, and went with the H2 from the company that shall not be named. Got it out on the course, and it was pretty much bang on, so have no reason to doubt it will be the same with the F3.

Even though the SS might not be entirely accurate, it's good for comparison purposes, and before I started changing my swing it was showing 97 ish at a previous gapping session, so am quite chuffed at the bigger numbers, even if the direction still needs work. Good number to use in the pub as well :wink:

Due to the weather in the UK I've only tried it on the range, but so far, so good. In fact I've already talked myself into going back for the driver :) I was thinking about picking up one of the latest releases later in the season, but I've figured I can probably pick up a couple of last year's models to tinker with for less cash. So go for the D3 now, and maybe pick up an M3 440 in a couple of months time.

Will be the first time since 2006 I haven't had a Nike wood in the bag, a moment of silence for one of the more divisive manufacturers in golf :wink:

Posted:

• deejaiddeejaid Members  884WRX Points: 761Posts: 884 Golden Tee

On -, @bodhi555 said:

On -, @deejaid said:

Well, I had a set of Hogan Apex 4 stiff shafts here so I shafted up the CB92 4 and 7 irons and it was a really nice combination so I think I’ll just keep it simple and go with what I got.

I get overwhelmed reading about all the different aftermarket shafts and I love the stories of how Ben Hogan would send nasty-grams to people that used his shafts in other companies heads.

As much as a fan as I am of Mr. Hogan I also believe in the philosophy of “whatever works’.

Posted:
    The bag...
    1959 Stan Thompson 1,3,4 woods
    Arias True Zero Offset irons 4-SW
    1968 Fenquest & Johnson San Franciscan putter
  • PReardonPReardon Members  13WRX Points: 26Posts: 13 Bunkers

Been looking to get some blades but want something thin but a little forgiving. Any recommendations, I’m playing the mp18 mmc but their just to light

Posted:

Advertisement
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Los AngelesMembers  6026WRX Points: 766Posts: 6,026 Titanium Tees

On -, @PReardon said:

Been looking to get some blades but want something thin but a little forgiving. Any recommendations, I’m playing the mp18 mmc but their just to light

Mp5. Macgregor 1025m vfoil. Maltby rates these blades as ‘game improvement!’

Posted:
    Ping GMax 400 10.5 TPT 17 LKP
    Callawy Epic 5W 
    Callaway X-hot pro 3,4 h
    TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
    Mizuno MP4 4-W, c-taper lite, 105 R
    Macgregor 1025M 4-W, KBS tour v, 110 S
    Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• Nard_SNard_S Members  3880WRX Points: 850Handicap: 9Posts: 3,880 Titanium Tees

On -, @PReardon said:

TM RAC MB TP circa 2006. Most GI "blades" I ever hit. Akin to many cast CB in toe & thin, plus they have nice heft to them.

Posted:
  • deejaiddeejaid Members  884WRX Points: 761Posts: 884 Golden Tee

On -, @PReardon said:

Try the 2006 Hogan Apex blades. Maltby Playability Factor lists them as game improvement.

Or, go with the Maltby MMB-17.

Posted:
    The bag...
    1959 Stan Thompson 1,3,4 woods
    Arias True Zero Offset irons 4-SW
    1968 Fenquest & Johnson San Franciscan putter

Ok thank you all for your help but do any of these have a slightly longer blade length I just don’t find confidence in look at a club where the ball appears bigger, also is there a forum like this but for putters?if so could you send me a link please and thank you

Posted:
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members  4035WRX Points: 337Posts: 4,035 Titanium Tees

Mmb17's have a long blade length. The Fourteen FH1000's are forgiving and have a **** long heel to toe.

Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys

Advertisement
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members  4035WRX Points: 337Posts: 4,035 Titanium Tees

I had a terrible round of golf today. I was hitting everything great except my irons. I switched blade sets this morning that had a heavier and stiffer shaft and that really threw my timing all off. My hips were getting out front and I was smacking them fat. Very frustrating to have a 6i go 135yards. Just could not get that timing down pat. By trying to adjust to that, I was doing the same garbage with my 5 wood and was getting similar results. Short and fat sky balls trying to hit down on it. I ended up posting a 92. But had a great time with the father in law. Back to the drawing board.

Also, have we decided if hollow MB designs are blades? Had this conversation with a TaylorMade junkie in our group this morning with the 700 series.

Posted:
    Wyoming Cowboys

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

I had a terrible round of golf today. I was hitting everything great except my irons. I switched blade sets this morning that had a heavier and stiffer shaft and that really threw my timing all off. My hips were getting out front and I was smacking them fat. Very frustrating to have a 6i go 135yards. Just could not get that timing down pat. By trying to adjust to that, I was doing the same garbage with my 5 wood and was getting similar results. Short and fat sky balls trying to hit down on it. I ended up posting a 92. But had a great time with the father in law. Back to the drawing board.

Also, have we decided if hollow MB designs are blades? Had this conversation with a TaylorMade junkie in our group this morning with the 700 series.

Continuing off of what you said about the 700 series I would say that everything except the 730 would not be a blade 750,760,770 for obvious reasons with them being cb but with the 790 the thing that would make me say no is the ultra forgiving technology or whatever taylormade is saying (even though I want a slightly forgiving blade) because then the person using them doesn’t have to really be precise with where their hitting the ball on the face unlike with most of not all blades and mb the person using them has to be laser focused on it. So that’s my opinion at least.

Posted:
  • revanantrevanant Members  419WRX Points: 329Posts: 419 Greens

On -, @deejaid said:

On -, @bodhi555 said:

On -, @deejaid said:

Well, I had a set of Hogan Apex 4 stiff shafts here so I shafted up the CB92 4 and 7 irons and it was a really nice combination so I think I’ll just keep it simple and go with what I got.

I get overwhelmed reading about all the different aftermarket shafts and I love the stories of how Ben Hogan would send nasty-grams to people that used his shafts in other companies heads.

As much as a fan as I am of Mr. Hogan I also believe in the philosophy of “whatever works’.

I’ve got the Apex 4s in a set of 1988 redlines. I love how light they feel and how high launching they are.

Posted:

Cobra King LTD
    Cobra F8 3W
    Cobra F6 Baffler 5W
    Callaway Apex MB 4-PW (Nippon Modus 120)
    Mizuno MP-4 4-PW
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54-10 M
    Mizuno JPX 58-14
    Ping Redwood D66

On -, @Kingcat990 said:

Yeah moving up (& down to lesser extent) weighting takes adjustment and reps. Took me several weeks to really see the benefit of doing it.

To the question:
    Nah, they are not blades, apparently Ping agrees or they would not have done the Blueprint

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @Bigmean said:

Swinging free is apparently now easier in my garage than the course, but it is coming around, I feel closer than ever, and actually iron consistency lagging most in my game now.....they are either solid or 15+ cap bad, nothing in betweeen. Played ok in the scramble and we used at least 5 of my drives which in this group I will take all day as 3rd worst driver in the group even pre shanks. Putting and wedge game back on track for sure tho. Stuffed wedges and rolled it really
    well. Lots of really good misses, feeling super
    Positive on putting it on what I see.

And sorry, as the thread starter here, I am obligated to point out, this is what....like the 6th major champion that plays blades since this thread started......I am not counting but it seems like blades are as relevant as ever....and Wilson’s baby, love it. Thanks anyway, woodland really Earned that one, and I am loving brooks, really loving his man up ness for when it matters even in a second. Good stuff all around. Stunned rose went away, this morning I thought he was favorite.

Thought it would be Koepka and Rose, mano a mano, did not give Woodland much of a chance but he was solid & clutch when he needed it. Likable, seems to be a good guy, good story and has good taste in irons. **** of an approach from the rough on 14(?), Rose goes bogey from the fairway, he pars, game over for Rose. Real clutch on 17, he sees Brooks, getting ready to go in 2, gets U&D, real ballsy on the earlier par 5 too, the man earned it.

Posted:
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6160WRX Points: 1,387Handicap: mePosts: 6,160 Titanium Tees

On -, @Bigmean said:

And sorry, as the thread starter here, I am obligated to point out, this is what....like the 6th major champion that plays blades since this thread started......I am not counting but it seems like blades are as relevant as ever....and Wilson’s baby, love it. Thanks anyway, woodland really Earned that one, and I am loving brooks, really loving his man up ness for when it matters even in a second. Good stuff all around. Stunned rose went away, this morning I thought he was favorite.

Now you just can't put out comments like that! I had to look up first when you started this thread (Jan 2015), and then who won majors since then. So far as blade users I've got:
    2015: ZERO (Masters: Spieth; US Open: Spieth; The Open: Zach Johnson; USPGA: Jason Day)
    2016: TWO (Masters: Danny Willet; US Open: Dustin Johnson; The Open: Henrik Stenson; USPGA: Johnny Walker).
    2017: ONE (Masters: Sergio Garcia; US Open: Brooks Koepka; The Open: Jordan Spieth; USPGA: Justin Thomas)
    2018: ONE (Masters: Patrick Reed; US Open: Brooks Koepka; The Open: Francesco Molinari; USPGA: Brooks Koepka)
    2019: TWO (Masters: Tiger Woods; US PGA: Brooks Koepka; US Open: Gary Woodland; The Open: ???).

Justin Thomas bagged the Titleist 718 from 5i to 9i, and Reed used Callayway's MB-1 from 5i to PW, but both had a CB 4-iron.
    I actually thought Molinari was blade user, but he was bagging the TM 750s (and 790 4i) for his Open win, apparently. Didn't he use the Vapor blades back when he was with Nike?
    The AP2s had three wins in 2015, as Zach Johnson seems to have been bagging them that year.
    Also, after switching to Callaway last year, Sergio went back to using blades for a bit, though I don't know what he's using now. A different golf website tells me he was using the TM 750s for his Master's win.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 

So 6 was a good guess? Hahaha.

Posted:
    913F 15*/Tour AD MT7
    Buchi 50/56. RomaRo 59

Advertisement
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6160WRX Points: 1,387Handicap: mePosts: 6,160 Titanium Tees

On -, @Bigmean said:

So 6 was a good guess? Hahaha.

Yeah, I was quite impressed. I was also shocked by how few major winners I could remember. I mean, I could sort of remember them, but not which year and which course.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.