Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I'm reminded of "digital vs analog" or "tube vs solid state." :)

To follow the buzlin advice, I will now post a pic:

KGrHqJjYEqIhE153BQKoLsPSqQ60_57.jpg

Analog and tube all day!

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Mizuno has so many mp clubs out, I have no idea what half the numbers look like, so sure, why not :)

Didn't mean to tangent guys. This was founded to be a sane sanctuary for us that have been confused and battered by past threads, so no negativity meant, just neccessary reminiscing I guess. I think sanctuary mission accomplished when robrey as a 14 cap tells what he is playing and why and no one even thinks twice and is happy for him....good on you robrey! And that note, a 14 handicap is still playing better golf than like what, 85% of people that tee it up? And certainly good enough to use blade feedback to break help your quest to break 80, not hinder it. Only on golfwrx do you feel bad about being a decent player. There should be real handicaps and golfwrx handicaps. Golfwrx handicap is real world plus 10 hahahaha. And your driving distance minus 25.

Anyway. I will post a pic later, but since I don't use my 3 iron, I had the guy that stripped my mp14s copper plate that one as I almost did it to the set. Locally he will strip and copper plate for $30 a head, better than any refinishers on the net. The copper gets gross brown looking fast, but I am kinda tempted to do this with he byron Nelsons. I will post a pic and get your guys thoughts. My real problem is sandblasting the face with glass bead, I don't have a booth exactly, but I could come up with some way to do it I guess.

Bigmean im interested in seeing the copper plated heads...I have been wanting a "raw" set lately and that might be a cool alternative... oh and as a side if you need someone to media blast the faces PM me I have a cabinet...wouldn't take 30 min to do them all..

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='DevilDog' timestamp='1421335197' post='10750929']
I have 69s in addition to my 33s but the 69s are sitting in my spare bag. There is just something about those 33s for me.
[/quote]

how's the size/shape of the PW on the 33s? it's the only thing that is slightly distracting about the 69s for me. the PW's head is just a bit too big.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I'm a 12 HCP and play Titleist 714 MB's. Previously I was playing a blended set of 710 CB long irons and 710 MB mid and short irons. I also had brief affairs with Mizuno MP-33's and MP-37's. Honestly, I play blades primarily because I like the way they setup behind the ball and because I feel like the short irons are more versatile as alternatives to my wedges for greenside work. While I really, really love my 714 MB's, I wouldn't mind scooping up another set of MP-37's to try some KBS shafts in them. My 37's and 33's both had DG's and I have never been a big fan of the DG. More recent Mizuno offerings don't do anything for me because of their very strong bounce angle. During the summer, courses in my neck of the woods have medium or soft fairways depending on how much rain we get...the Mizzy's just dig when course conditions are on the softer side. The Mizunos always look fantastic though.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

Blade hunter, I appreciate that offer. I may take you up on it if I go that route and I would happily send you something for you to take your wife/girlfriend/life partner out to a nice dinner for your effort if I do. I am not sure what I want to do, but I don't think this is a good set to go raw at all. Ideally they are better than expected and I will repolish the chrome. I am getting excited.

Redhead, I am agnostic, but that has to be the most awesome quote so far. I think that the header of every page on this thread should be the photo link low just shared with "forgiveness comes from God, not GI/SGI clubs" underneath it. That would be freaking awesome.

Those cubic balance are looking really good, and for what you paid, sick. That is why I fight HOing blades. How could you even care what is new in a big box right now when you can get sets like that for next to nothing. Any idea who forged them or the history, I have never heard of cubic balance but obviously elk played them. Austrailian company?

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421369252' post='10754041']
Blade hunter, I appreciate that offer. I may take you up on it if I go that route and I would happily send you something for you to take your wife/girlfriend/life partner out to a nice dinner for your effort if I do. I am not sure what I want to do, but I don't think this is a good set to go raw at all. Ideally they are better than expected and I will repolish the chrome. I am getting excited.

Redhead, I am agnostic, but that has to be the most awesome quote so far. I think that the header of every page on this thread should be the photo link low just shared with "forgiveness comes from God, not GI/SGI clubs" underneath it. That would be freaking awesome.

Those cubic balance are looking really good, and for what you paid, sick. That is why I fight HOing blades. How could you even care what is new in a big box right now when you can get sets like that for next to nothing. Any idea who forged them or the history, I have never heard of cubic balance but obviously elk played them. Austrailian company?
[/quote]

Cubic Balance was around in the 90's or so not sure exactly when.

no idea on the forging, i know it says "micro precision forging"

pure shots feel better than most forgings I've hit, mis hits feel like crappy blades (as it should)

the retail version apparently had a lot of offset however these are nearly none in the long irons and get maybe a degree or so in the short, but it didn't bother me at all

Kudos to the OP for starting this thread. I recently gravitated to the Nike VR Pro II blades after playing Mizuno Mp-33s since they came out. I've had multiple sets of them to currently include a back-up set. My first set of clubs were Golfsmith muscleback blades. They included 1 iron through SW. Shortly thereafter, I got the Mizuno bug and haven't looked back. Along the way, I tinkered with Titleist Tour Models. I still have a couple of sets lying around for when I'm feeling nostalgic. Alas, the ealier Mizuno irons had a feel that is indescibeable. The Mizuno stable included Grads, MP-14, MP-29, MP-32, MP-67, and the venerable MP-33.

RC 105 V 9.5 w/ Accra CS1 370
Mizuno MP-650 w/ Diamana B80x
Tourstage X-UT w/ Thump + +
Fourteen 610 TS 3i w/ Nippon 130
Mizuno MP-4 4-pw w/ Nippon 130
Scratch D/S 56, 60 w/ Nippon 125
Byron Design DH-89 "Southpaw"

So, I have a question for you guys a little off topic, but I trust the crew here.

Do you think I could play and be happy with Precision rifle shafts 6.5 X flex. I brought up earlier my tendency to have that weird "drade" shot. I didn't think I was a fast SS, but I am a 92mph 6 iron, it is my 190ish club, but really have worked on tempo and am not a swing hard guy, but I do have a late release. I really know and have no issues with DGS and love my nippon 1150s, but I think they kick more than DGS do for me, but they just feel so much smoother. I had the fourteen fh1000s with nippon super peening blue X flex for a brief period. I hit those clubs higher than my Miuras with nippon, I hated the feel, but I really don't think it was shaft related as that is a weird/different head in many ways, but I can't be 100% sure either. I hit them farther than my other sets, so I am sure I was loading them, but again, those heads are just different than most blades so hard to say. I would appreciate anyone with experience with rifle 6.5 as to what they would compare with or if they think I could play them and be OK, or if they would hurt the feel of a good head.

Thanks.

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421370132' post='10754143']
So, I have a question for you guys a little off topic, but I trust the crew here.

Do you think I could play and be happy with Precision rifle shafts 6.5 X flex. I brought up earlier my tendency to have that weird "drade" shot. I didn't think I was a fast SS, but I am a 92mph 6 iron, it is my 190ish club, but really have worked on tempo and am not a swing hard guy, but I do have a late release. I really know and have no issues with DGS and love my nippon 1150s, but I think they kick more than DGS do for me, but they just feel so much smoother. I had the fourteen fh1000s with nippon super peening blue X flex for a brief period. I hit those clubs higher than my Miuras with nippon, I hated the feel, but I really don't think it was shaft related as that is a weird/different head in many ways, but I can't be 100% sure either. I hit them farther than my other sets, so I am sure I was loading them, but again, those heads are just different than most blades so hard to say. I would appreciate anyone with experience with rifle 6.5 as to what they would compare with or if they think I could play them and be OK, or if they would hurt the feel of a good head.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Going from my experience, with you coming from DGS and wanting to go a hair stiffer, I'd look at 6.0 ahead of 6.5 in Project X. 6.5 PX is going to play like 7.0 Rifle, and really an analogue for DGX.

Aside from that, PX is kind of an acquired taste, for lack of a better way to put it. The feel is quite different, can be harsher, the ball gets up quicker but spins less than DG. They can be amazing, though, I remember hitting some fairly healthy shots with the set of 6.5s I tried in Golden Rams. The feel ultimately got me off them, though.

I now have PX 6.0 in my set of MS-11s. I didn't get around to shafting them up until too close to the end of the season to get a real feel for them. They weren't as harsh as I remembered the 6.5's being, they also seemed to cut the spin effectively (which was my reason for trying them). Damn winter killing my golf time.

You could also try Modus 3 130 in Stiff. I have a test club I built with 130S, early returns are it's smoother than PX. Very early, I've only hit it a dozen shots or so. :)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1421340654' post='10751479']
Bought MP33, now playing J40CB

I play blades since my hdcp was 22. Yes it has helped me to build such a solid and consistent swing.

Forgiveness comes from God. Not from GI/SGI clubs.
[/quote]

That makes me feel better about my decision to buy blade. I'm sure my swing will come more than it already has but damn! Hurry it up already! lol.

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1421371095' post='10754245']

Thanks.
[/quote]

Going from my experience, with you coming from DGS and wanting to go a hair stiffer, I'd look at 6.0 ahead of 6.5 in Project X. 6.5 PX is going to play like 7.0 Rifle, and really an analogue for DGX.

Aside from that, PX is kind of an acquired taste, for lack of a better way to put it. The feel is quite different, can be harsher, the ball gets up quicker but spins less than DG. They can be amazing, though, I remember hitting some fairly healthy shots with the set of 6.5s I tried in Golden Rams. The feel ultimately got me off them, though.

I now have PX 6.0 in my set of MS-11s. I didn't get around to shafting them up until too close to the end of the season to get a real feel for them. They weren't as harsh as I remembered the 6.5's being, they also seemed to cut the spin effectively (which was my reason for trying them). Damn winter killing my golf time.

You could also try Modus 3 130 in Stiff. I have a test club I built with 130S, early returns are it's smoother than PX. Very early, I've only hit it a dozen shots or so. :)
[/quote]

That's right, you were a rifle expert on that reality thread! No, if I was reshafting I would go nippon and not think twice. I am trying to find a compelling and sane reason to not Ho something. My first world problems of a little extra time and money combined with value oriented buying and my new "plan" to sell any sets I have that are not just awesome or kinda rare or hopefully both and work on a stable of stunners bought at value that will hopefully stay around purchase price while I wear out gamers have me contemplating a set I am not sure I would have a shot at again for within $50 of the price, but I sincerely do not want to reshaft anytime soon if I got them. I am probably going to pass, but it is a set that I covet and have stalked before and have only seen a little lower one time and it was gone right after the price drop.

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421327671' post='10750235']
Mizuno has so many mp clubs out, I have no idea what half the numbers look like, so sure, why not :)

Didn't mean to tangent guys. This was founded to be a sane sanctuary for us that have been confused and battered by past threads, so no negativity meant, just neccessary reminiscing I guess. I think sanctuary mission accomplished when robrey as a 14 cap tells what he is playing and why and no one even thinks twice and is happy for him....good on you robrey! And that note, a 14 handicap is still playing better golf than like what, 85% of people that tee it up? And certainly good enough to use blade feedback to break help your quest to break 80, not hinder it. Only on golfwrx do you feel bad about being a decent player. There should be real handicaps and golfwrx handicaps. Golfwrx handicap is real world plus 10 hahahaha. And your driving distance minus 25.

Anyway. I will post a pic later, but since I don't use my 3 iron, I had the guy that stripped my mp14s copper plate that one as I almost did it to the set. Locally he will strip and copper plate for $30 a head, better than any refinishers on the net. The copper gets gross brown looking fast, but I am kinda tempted to do this with he byron Nelsons. I will post a pic and get your guys thoughts. My real problem is sandblasting the face with glass bead, I don't have a booth exactly, but I could come up with some way to do it I guess.
[/quote]

Would LOVE to see the copper job as a fellow MP-14 user!

Titleist 910D3 9.5* AD-BB 6x
TEE CB2 15* ProForce V2 75s
TEE CB2 18* ProForce V2 75s
Ping i20 20* TFC707H 82s
Mizuno MP-14 3-PW S300
Vokey Oil Can SM4 58.06*
WITB Link

BigMean -

Not an expert, but had projectX in the bag for a summer a couple years ago. Good shots were excellent. Bad shots were much much worse and felt worse than that. After developing joint soreness in my wrist and elbow, I went to Kbs Tours, joint pain disappeared and couldn't be happier with the performance.

All that said, if I could get my paws on some modus 120s... I want to try that route (130s would probably fit you better). Hope this helps.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Biggie, I appreciate the positive waves, but I wouldn't call myself an expert. Just a guy who's hit a fair number of different iron shafts in the 16 years I've been playing. It's a side effect of being a club ho of a fairly high magnitude, and getting involved in doing my own club work. Oh, and having nerd tendencies. LOL

Doing your own club building is a very slippery slope. ;)

I haven't gotten into the exotic stuff, though. Just barely starting to look at the Nippon universe.

Speaking of which... There's a Nippon thread in the Tour Equipment folder that's gotten pretty extensive. It seems the Modus3 130 is pretty good for late release players, and some have likened it to the PX world, albeit smoother than PX. The Modus3 120 is more like DG, flighting the ball lower but with more spin than the 130. They also are said to flex are on the soft side, 120X may or may not be close to DGS, depending on who you talk to. (the 130 does not flex soft, it's stiff butt and mid with a softer tip)

In the thread I reference, someone has taken the plunge from C Taper S+ to Modus3 120TX, he loves them.

Biggie, I can't remember from the other thread (I'm sure we talked about it), are you looking to add a bit of height, or keep the ball lower?

edited to add: found a shaft profile graph thru google. It would seem the Modus3 120 TX is slightly softer in most of the shaft than DGX100, but significantly stiffer in the tip. If you like DGS and want a hint more (meaning stiffer), that might be something to look at.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Very informative, and the modus was going to be my next shaft on a rebuild, but I must say, the 1150 tours are really nice, they have a different profile than the other gh models which is stiffer in the but and tip and more relaxed mid section. Honestly, getting into club building has been such an awesome thing for me. It opens a lot of doors and It really helps if you are cheap like me and would never pay to reshaft, or buy shafts new at retail.

I have kbs tours in my Vegas. They are softer than DGs, but I don't really care for them. I hit my Vegas higher than my nippon 1150s.

Like I said. This is really stemming from me wondering if I should strike on a set. Frankly, even if I end up reshafting them one day, I don't know if it is a deal breaker or not. I will make up my mind on it this weekend.

I will also try to get that copper pic up, I was too tired to mess with it last night. I am jamming with work and coming home freaking wrecked beat, physically and mentally. The joys of small business ownership........

Thanks.
[/quote]

are you talking about the OG rifle 6.5? or project X? If the actual rifle frequency 6.5 I would say most likely yes.... I have a set in those J33 I just bought and they feel to me a lot like a 6.5 project x flighted shaft..which is actually like a 6.0 in flex.. they have a nice kick and launch the ball high... Not boardy to me and certainly much softer than project X 6.5 is now... hope that makes sense

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='Jthorpegolf' timestamp='1421356988' post='10753015']
got these in the mail today cubic balance 2-pw ELK model, sweet blade, soft forging, and a nice thin sole.

played them today and shot +1 on 18 so they may be staying in the bag....
[/quote]

gorgeous.... I remember when Elk had these in the bag... If his picky a** played them they have to be good.. hes anal about equipment for sure...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421416307' post='10756621']
[quote name='Jthorpegolf' timestamp='1421356988' post='10753015']
got these in the mail today cubic balance 2-pw ELK model, sweet blade, soft forging, and a nice thin sole.

played them today and shot +1 on 18 so they may be staying in the bag....
[/quote]

gorgeous.... I remember when Elk had these in the bag... If his picky a** played them they have to be good.. hes anal about equipment for sure...
[/quote]

they're incredibly soft id love to know about their forging process