Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Damn son...that's bad....that's superfly and pimptastical all rolled into one! wonder how they feel? I bet they are softer than before... most raw irons and wedges feel better than chrome..I bet the copper isn't much different than raw

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Wow Big those look awesome! Did the "feel" change after the plating? Also could you post who you used to do the work? I think I'd like to give my 14s this treatment!

Titleist 910D3 9.5* AD-BB 6x
TEE CB2 15* ProForce V2 75s
TEE CB2 18* ProForce V2 75s
Ping i20 20* TFC707H 82s
Mizuno MP-14 3-PW S300
Vokey Oil Can SM4 58.06*
WITB Link

I only did the 3, I never shafted it up.

I went raw with the set 4-pw and they were noticably softer.

I am leaning toward doing this to the byron nelson blades coming from eBay. $30 a head though for strip and copper so kinda an investment, and that set is 1-PW or maybe even has the SW, I don't remember. Although, this is a local plater, I am sure that if a iron company did it it would be a lot more. Iron factory is like $25 just to strip I think.......

Went to the range again today with a friend. Hit it terrible, lots of fat shots so body moving probably, but the injury is feeling good so I am getting excited to get back to it.

I am a blade player of 8 years now since taking the game up seriously about 10 years ago. My journey started when I bought a 3-PW set of MP-67s with Rifle 5.0 shafts. Previous to that I was playing ancient Mizuno Altron and Cleveland CG2 CBs. The MP-67s were a personal reward for getting my index down to 16 (i.e. below bogey). I’m currently an 11 now and have played them at as low as a 7.5 during my best season 2 years ago. I also have played a set of MP-60s (also with Rifle 5.0s) for nearly the same time as the MP-67s. I mention this, [i]not for debate[/i], but instead for providing context to my personal experience and why I love playing blades over any other type of iron. I haven’t played a lot of blades. I just have a unique experience playing the same blade and a CB exclusively for a long time.

I love my MP-67s because they provide me the best feel, feedback, workability, and precision distance control as compared to my MP-60s. I have also shot my personal bests consistently and have hit incredible shots with them. When I absolutely need to pull off a great shot, there is no question I want to have a blade in my hand. Lastly there simply is no better feeling in golf than hitting a blade pure and watching the ball do exactly what you envisioned it to do.

About the only downsides to blades for me are that a bad mishit in cold weather hurts worse and really bad mishits go a little shorter.

I think every golfer should own as set of blades. They are a joy to play. You just need the personal confidence and mettle to want to play them. You cannot play them with a lingering fear or doubt in your mind about them. I know I’ll always have a set of blades in my rotation until I stop playing this game.

My next set of irons are going to be blades and I am planning on pulling the trigger on a purchase some time this year. I found a local shop that sells Miuras and I cannot wait to try some baby blades and mb001s.

This is such a great thread Bigmean. I never get tired of reading other golfers’ blades journeys.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421519186' post='10764667']
I really wish I knew more about shafts, I just don't.

Yeah, The fact I broke it again in October or whatever mid swing at the range from getting back into hitting balls too soon (felt the pop, it was gross and happened in lag just before impact, which thank god was pured to not pour salt on it) has me very, very cautious. I also have a plan to implement, and lots of time before the rates drop and my work has a lull. This particular rib on my right side takes a lot of muscle strain on my way down. I have been 100% healthy by all accounts for a month and a half, but the golf swing puts an uncommon strain there, just a bad luck injury for a golfer. I am going to the range later, I thought about a small bucket, but I may just putt and chip....again..... I probably look like I know what I am doing there, they see me putting and chipping 2/3 days a week and never hitting balls. Hahaha.

I have always been a soul golfer of sorts, and I hate focusing on score, but this summer for the first time ever I am going to be very score oriented. How did you go about finding your swing instructor? How do any of you guys? This to me is the problem. After one bad experience, I am really anti outside paid help, but I am 100% for it if I could be reasonably sure I had a guy that would work with me and what I have. Last guy was real technical, and I am diligent and committed so I followed through some of the changes, and it was a nightmare. Finally got back on track with simple "feelings" I wanted to have depending on the shot. Like staying down, moving weight to my left leg, right elbow close to the body. Just no mechanics, but simple thoughts and feelings. Last guy was wayyy to mechanical for me, not my game. But at the same time, I know I need mechanical help, but it can't be that much, just some tweaks for consistency I would imagine. I am just trying to be weekend good, plenty of not textbook near scratch swings out there.
[/quote]
BM. Great thread you have going here.

If I understood correct you live in Florida. Dan Carreher (Iteach here on wrx) teaches out of Florida. He is good. I have used him in some on-line lessons. If I lived in Florida I would go see him right away. Not someday. Not tomorrow but right now. To me evaluating who is a good instructor is difficult because when you start correcting ingrained swing flaws... it IS hard and you don't see results right away. Or you may see significant drop in distance until you get used to the corrected swing and starts get better rhythm or timing. And a bad instructor will also result in lesser results.

The paradox of determining whether an instructor is good and correct when I am the one who seeks guidance made it necessary for me to really think hard about by what measures I would use to settle the dilemma.

First I learned that I had to be very specific in defining by what standards I would measure my progress. Better score is too general because a good score can be caused by many different things. The most significant standard I chose was “quality of impact”. Does my quality of impact get better and more consistent? If the following an instructor’s guidance makes me feel I get better quality of impact I will keep on following his advice.

Next. Does what he say make sense to me. Can he talk in a “language” that I understand? If he can point out root causes for me swing problem and makes himself understandable as to what benefits I will gain from correcting it then I have a pretty good feeling in trusting him enough to suffer through the “ingraining a new swing feel” period. And make no mistake. I have learned the hard way that Tiger is right. This IS a process.
Which is why I have to be very selecting and specific in determining by what I measure my progress.
Dan strikes me as one I think would suit you un not being too technical. He does a good job in pointing out one or two root causes that gives you the most problems with your particular swing. And he uses a “language” that is easy to understand.

Thx vaterman.

I looked up Dan, Florida is a nice long state, and we are at opposite ends. In Europe, he would be a few countries away :).

I am going to start looking after about a month of being back into it. I would like to see where am I at after the time off, and really I would like to start the lessons as close to a 7 as possible, which I feel I could get back to in a month or so, but we will see.

No, this is a lot of help. I have a question for you at the end.

I found a guy in Boca, he looks PERFECT. One review is from a guy that he took from 8 to 3, lots of raving reviews, golf channel BS, southeast pro of the year etc. he works with what you have and is flexible. Very related to this thread, I am also nervous that if I show up with my Miuras and my "game" it will set the wrong impression to some guys, but he himself plays titliest MBs and according to reviews is very all about the swing and not over complication or tech. Works with a lot of juniors that are really good, but now he is at an old persons club in boca (cashing in on his success, can't blame him) but looks like he does a lot outside his home club so he either cares about what he does or is a hard worker or both which I respect. Guy on paper seems perfect.

So here is the deal. Lessons are $120 an hour. He also does detailed video lessons for $30. How did you find the video lessons? I am thinking either I start with video, then eventually move to an in person, OR, probably better to start with a person, meet and know him, then maybe alternate video and personal as needed and he knows my scene? People seemed to really benefit from his video lessons which surprised me, but then again, it makes sense as video is close enough to being there and certainly is easy to breakdown. Only reason I was thinking vid first with every intention of a personal was as I start getting back into it, maybe I would be better served with a little direction instead of my usual path? I do feel a personal lesson too soon and I won't be where I want to be to get the most of it from the get go, Any thoughts?

BM.
You are a 7 hcp for crying out loud. You can totally show up with Miura blades. It's only in wrx land I have seen anyone wanting to tell you what you should be playing. Everyone else assumes you play because that is what you like to play.

I would go with a video lesson first with this guy. 30 dollars is a cheap way to check out if he is on the same page as you. If his set-up is like Iteach at swingpal.com then you are asked to make a short description of what you want help with. In there you can explain that you are looking for some practical guidance to what he see as the biggest block in your particular swing. Simply write what you would like and see how he responds and check if what he advocates makes sense to you.

In person lessons are best provided you have the right teacher. The only thing that I miss from video lessons is the lack of direct interaction. Sometimes I like to get some of the specific guidance clarified. You can ask questions in writing but you don't necessarily get a fast reply. In that case it is much better with personal lessons.

But I absolutely gained from video lesson. I did some lessons with Monte in the beginning of 2014 and during this season I got from 12,8 to 9,7 hcp. Before my lessons I had not dropped in hcp. for 6 years. The advantage with videos is that you can watch them again later and you will all of a sudden notice some details that you missed. It's a good way to keep you practice on track toward a specific goal. And it is really cheap. 40 dollars for a lesson with Iteach. 90 dollars for 4 lessons with Monte. That is really cheap.

PS: makes sure that your videos are precise on DTL and FL views. The angles are pretty important to get right.
PSPS: Brace yourself the first time you see yourself on video if you are not familiar with it. At least for me I had to realize that I look pretty far from Adam Scott with my swing even though I feel like I must look at as good as him. I don't.

Hahaha, I am scared to admit this, but I have videoed my swing before for self diagnosis. Now that was when I was in college, so the first shocking and disappointing things I will notice is how fat, bald, and not high I am by comparison, but I don't think my swing has changed all that much. My swing I know pretty well. It is not overly graceful, but it isn't Sunday golfer train wreck either. I have a tendency to slide my body, this is my worst habit. It adds unneeded timing difficulty and I am sure I did it yesterday hitting like 20% fat balls. That or I stay back on it and don't drive my body though, which is the opposite problem generally that creeps in from trying not to slide. I am going to do the video thing first. Too cheap not to get the ball rolling.

Ok, I apologize for bringing the thread to a screeching halt with boring a** lesson talk. Back to fun stuff.

I am supposed to get the Nelson's tomorrow, all 1-SW of them. Naturally, this is the set I have decided I want to copper finish being that there are a stupid amount of heads and all. But I think it is the way to go with this set, and your guys' comments in my 3 iron kinda pushed me over. Plus, the reality is, though I have every intention of gaming these, they will be and are an awesome collector set and one day in another house they may find themselves on display in my man room.

Also, if anyone is into rare and overpriced japanese blades, these are from the same seller I got the Mac r58s from. I am only 15 years of hard work and luck in business away from getting a house with said man room in it where I will have a bar, pool table, possible putting surface, oversized TV, and walls littered with stuff like these :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Golden-Bear-JN54-Blades-3-SW-R400-Forged-MB-Classic-Muscle-Japan-Macgregor-/231455536295?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item35e3d334a7

Bigmean or anybody, is there any reason not to get Miura blades with black oxide finish? I've been ogling their "Limited Forged" black blades and am wondering what you get for the black oxide coating other than reduced glare.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1421719046' post='10780179']
Bigmean or anybody, is there any reason not to get Miura blades with black oxide finish? I've been ogling their "Limited Forged" black blades and am wondering what you get for the black oxide coating other than reduced glare.
[/quote]
Nice aging and wear. Cool factor. Sleek. Limited. Exclusive. Bag appeal. Exquisite. Tasteful.

@therealping

[/quote]

Honestly, I think they're overrated. I'd rather have a set of FG17s, Muirfield 20ths, Ram Tour Grinds, 99 Apex....
I think I could go on for a while there. ;)

I'm probably in the minority here on WRX. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1421725342' post='10781059']
[/quote]

Honestly, I think they're overrated. I'd rather have a set of FG17s, Muirfield 20ths, Ram Tour Grinds, 99 Apex....
I think I could go on for a while there. ;)

I'm probably in the minority here on WRX. LOL
[/quote]
I completely understand. For me they are not cheap so I'm definitely going to go hit them before buying. And I'm going to bring my MP-67s along for direct comparison. The only sets I would buy without trying first would be good deals on ebay or BST. Also I'm pretty sure I would buy some Wilson FG59s or Founders Club 200s at the drop of a hat.

You are truly one of a kind NRJ. Anywhere.

Registered Bladeocrat

I think I've heard that before. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Love the Macs BMC! That set has always looked good to my eye.

[/quote]

Hell yes there is a reason! Getting Miuras in black oxide would be like taking Kate Middleton and having her wear some jean shorts and a sexy off the shoulder Tee. Sure, the appeal is there, but we are talking royal family style here. She is meant to be wearing a sleek $3,000 cocktail dress that is cut just low enough without being too low, and a slit up the leg that stops right before it lacks class. Miuras satin finish is sooo much nicer than any stock finish I have seen on a club, it is like champagne and nickel had a baby, a baby that hates chrome. It is the only clothes they should wear to match their sexy blend of perfect shape and on course etiquette. I like my other clubs to be a little kinky, rusty and slutty, but my Miuras are who I want to take home to mom.

My attempt at humor aside, total bad call to get Miuras in black oxide IMO. And I clearly love raw irons. The other benefit, and I can confirm it is true, is that a raw iron will be slightly softer. Very welcome in my mp14s, super surprised in how much so with my faxon wedge, the Vegas I expected to be as soft as they are, and they are almost too soft, but my Miuras would gain very little if anything in either glare reduction or a little more softness.

NR and I do not disagree much, but we have to in this one. I have hit enough irons to know, and I absolutely am only talking about the small blades when I say this, their other clubs could be very overrated, but those small blades are Gods gift to ballstriking, period. People rave about Vegas, and I can tell you, they are super stupid soft, and really nice, but my small blades impact just connects with my soul. They are the right amount of everything. The right feedback, the right stickiness on the face, the right density, effortless ropes, I can even hit lots of bad shots with them! :) I am not saying all would agree, or right for everyone and their swing, and certainly they are bend over luxury tax, BUT, the difference is certainly discernible, and that is more than can be said for a lot of material goods akin to Miuras.

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421727408' post='10781283']
NR and I do not disagree much, but we have to in this one. I have hit enough irons to know, and I absolutely am only talking about the small blades when I say this, their other clubs could be very overrated, but those small blades are Gods gift to ballstriking, period. People rave about Vegas, and I can tell you, they are super stupid soft, and really nice, but my small blades impact just connects with my soul. They are the right amount of everything. The right feedback, the right stickiness on the face, the right density, effortless ropes, I can even hit lots of bad shots with them! :) I am not saying all would agree, or right for everyone and their swing, and certainly they are bend over luxury tax, BUT, the difference is certainly discernible, and that is more than can be said for a lot of material goods akin to Miuras.
[/quote]

Bigmean if it weren't for you and MJ I would have never even considered Miuras. I was set on getting some Scratch blades before reading your posts. Your passion for your baby blades is nearly palpable.

Also good points earlier about the black oxide. I have seen black oxide with a lot of wear and that it can look a little unkempt.

In addition to changing the look I can see how the feel may be affected by an oxide layer. With the high quality Miura steel you want to feel the purity of the metal itself. I'm a big advocate of a clubhead coming from a single, solid block of the same exact metal (no inserts, no cavities thank you very much...to me they dampen feel) to best transmit the feedback and feel of impact, so I can see how an oxide layer may change the feel and almost cheapen it.

LOL and I love the Kate Middleton [s]Upton [/s](edit: ooops) analogy. Talk about ogling! $3000 dress wins hands down. Literally and figuratively.

Registered Bladeocrat

Mudguard that is sexy. Like Marilyn Monroe. I like the gripmaster grip too! A+ for style.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421726960' post='10781233']
my Miuras would gain very little if anything in either glare reduction or a little more softness.
[/quote]
Is the softness something to be sought after? You mentioned your oxide Vegas are almost too soft. Does it take away a little of the feel? What I was getting at with my earlier post is that soft feel may not be better. I think that is why some folks like the feel of Titleist blades over, say, Mizunos.

Registered Bladeocrat

Sorry to add yet another bit of a tangent here, but has anyone had this happen to them while playing blades?

Went in to do a free "swing assessment" that I won with a local professional and the first thing he did was look at my irons (the Cleveland TA1's that I have replaced). First words out of his mouth: "These are the wrong clubs for you. They (blades) are really hard to hit. You should look at a cavity back iron." I haven't even made a single swing in front of him or even been asked about my handicap and my weaknesses at this point. At that point I knew I wasn't going to work with him, but I did proceed to go through the freebie as I drove over there and took a couple hours out of my day for the assessment and the drive. Not sure what he really thought of my swing other than he wanted me to work on staying down through the ball a bit more (my miss is thin)... nothing really earth shattering. I didn't bother to pull the "Well, I am currently playing to a 2 handicap with these irons" stuff as it just wasn't worth the wasted breath. Pretty sure he thought he was going to sell me a fitting... not gonna happen with a comment like that.

Anyone else had this sort of thing happen either with a local pro before/during a lesson or a pro who just walked by and said something?

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1421741944' post='10781919']
Sorry to add yet another bit of a tangent here, but has anyone had this happen to them while playing blades?

Went in to do a free "swing assessment" that I won with a local professional and the first thing he did was look at my irons (the Cleveland TA1's that I have replaced). First words out of his mouth: "These are the wrong clubs for you. They (blades) are really hard to hit. You should look at a cavity back iron." I haven't even made a single swing in front of him or even been asked about my handicap and my weaknesses at this point. At that point I knew I wasn't going to work with him, but I did proceed to go through the freebie as I drove over there and took a couple hours out of my day for the assessment and the drive. Not sure what he really thought of my swing other than he wanted me to work on staying down through the ball a bit more (my miss is thin)... nothing really earth shattering. I didn't bother to pull the "Well, I am currently playing to a 2 handicap with these irons" stuff as it just wasn't worth the wasted breath. Pretty sure he thought he was going to sell me a fitting... not gonna happen with a comment like that.

Anyone else had this sort of thing happen either with a local pro before/during a lesson or a pro who just walked by and said something?
[/quote]
No. Never. Noone has ever told me what ironheads would be good for me. Even fitters I have gone to asks first what I prefer in looks or how I want them to look at address. The only time someone (and he was sales rep in the store) made a recommendation it was to try something with less "forgiveness". And trust me when I say my swing does not look great.

Sounds like you met a overly eager and not too smart salesperson.

Vaterman, you laughed it up at me, but exactly why I said that about lessons and my Miuras. The Miuras are worse because then not only am I playing something I can't, but I am also a pretentious a******. So to answer your question gaucho, no I haven't and I am trying not to, but the thought crossed my mind.

Ninny, regarding softness, I am the one on hear that tries to explain how "feel" is not softness. Now that said, I like soft irons. I love mizunos, and further love SOME of the JDM stuff I have tried from a feel standpoint that are softer than mizzys by a good amount with the baby blades being the best interactive head I have ever hit for my nervous system, your milage may vary. The Vegas when flushed are almost too soft to me. I want to love them so much, but they don't talk to me like my mp 14s and BBs. It is just personal preference is all. I think my vfoils are awesome too, but for me the only clubs that really speak to me in a stand out way are those 2.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1421741944' post='10781919']

[/quote]

lol yes...this happened to me in a Edwin Watts store that had just opened...they were having a "grand opening " sale... it was 3 years ago and I was just coming back to the game.. came in looking at a set of Mizuno irons ...I had no idea about any models etc ... But knew what looked right to me... I had not joined this site and did not know an MB iron was the DEVIL...lol.... So I walk in and stroll back to the hitting bays where the fitting carts are...Im looking around and here comes this husky sales person... He asks " so what are you interested in?" I reply "looking at a new set of Mizunos" He says right off the bat "whoa only good players play those" to which I (being a smart a**) reply "well what do you play then?" He laughs and says "point taken"... I figure if he can dish it I can too right? Then we get to the meat of the argument... He pulls out a CB MP 54 or something cant remember ... Im wanting to look at the MP68.. so I hit what he hands me to be polite then I ask "let me see the 6 iron in the mp68 in the PX shaft".... he replies"no I don't think we need to go there".... Holy s*** I saw red... I said "OK and why not?" He says "well I wish we didn't even have those ...no one should be playing those"....then asks "what are you playing now" I replied "let me go to the truck and show you" I bring back in my titleist 94 tour model 7 iron... which by comparison with the MP68 it looks ultra thin.. He gasps... By now im ready to leave.. he looks my iron over and hands it back... then proceeds to try to switch me to the callaway cart... I just said "i think I hear my wife calling...gotta go...have a good one" I drove across town and bought the MP68 from a mom and pop store for near full price... I had cash "mad money " in my pocket and this jackwagon couldn't get over his own shortcomings and let me buy what I wanted. Weirdo..

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock