2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

The A10s are the same process as the Aussie Blades and both versions (black dot and red dot) of the Revolution irons. You could even call them the progeny of the earlier clubs. :)

I had a set of A10s for a while, ultimately traded them back to the guy who'd traded them to me. He missed them terribly. LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

These were probably the pinnacle of cast clubs, almost to soft. I dinged the 8 iron with a rock that would never do the damage to any forged iron I've had.

Blades up to the 8 iron, kind of a mb half cavity in the 7 and cavity back 6-2 iron.

There small, and have this beautiful thin top line.

Plus there a pure joy to play, and a softness like know other.

I would bet with a nickel alloy, they cost more then most to construct.

61AC7D90-93AE-462E-8B88-7288349C002E-2153-000002BEEC13BE93_zps0a755a5f.jpg

B102EA88-94BD-4D9A-A3CF-AA066C3CBF7F-123-00000017B9FE56F2_zps3fb660ff.jpg

Thank you 12tamale. It is interesting that you state the cast blades were almost too soft just like bigmean said about his oxide vegas.

Does too soft mean you lost a little feedback because of it?

One thing for sure is that I will consider the grade and quality of the cast steel if I go to a cast blade.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Never hit Aussie blades, but heard it enough to believe it. I have always been and am pro forged. I am also very open to the idea that the best clubs I have hit, just happened to be forged, hence the mental interpretation, but nonetheless, it is there ingrained in me.i personally would LOVE to take the Pepsi challenge of 2 same heads forged and cast, that would be really cool, but seemingly impossibly unavailable......

HOWEVER....if this were truly true. Beyond a doubt, the Ray Floyd thing the whole 9 yards, I find it odd that the marketing whores of the big oems would not provide big box stores with a forged and cast head of same everything and have it there for a demo to prove to joe customer that those higher profit margin TMags are no different than those grain flow mizunos and you could hit both and instantly remove mizunos base line of credibility and perception and sell your sets....hmmm....that is weird this isn't one of the many other props provided to sell clubs....my guess would be everything to lose, nothing to gain, these days saying it is the same as it being true anyway.

When I said too soft, I meant it. I can see how people that rave on Vegas are addicted to it, it is almost pured cavity back nothing. I prefer a little pow with my pure, but I as much as I don't ogle over my Vegas like some people do, they are very nice in a lot of ways and that is their top charm. I can't see myself ever selling them because they are individualistic, and that is exactly what my ho strategy is all about. Obscure and individuality.

[quote name='Mudguard' timestamp='1421525212' post='10765123']
These were easily the best looking that I've owned. Unfortunately played my worst golf with them.
[/quote]

Why?

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421946868' post='10797727']
Never hit Aussie blades, but heard it enough to believe it. I have always been and am pro forged. I am also very open to the idea that the best clubs I have hit, just happened to be forged, hence the mental interpretation, but nonetheless, it is there ingrained in me.i personally would LOVE to take the Pepsi challenge of 2 same heads forged and cast, that would be really cool, but seemingly impossibly unavailable......

HOWEVER....if this were truly true. Beyond a doubt, the Ray Floyd thing the whole 9 yards, I find it odd that the marketing whores of the big oems would not provide big box stores with a forged and cast head of same everything and have it there for a demo to prove to joe customer that those higher profit margin TMags are no different than those grain flow mizunos and you could hit both and instantly remove mizunos base line of credibility and perception and sell your sets....hmmm....that is weird this isn't one of the many other props provided to sell clubs....my guess would be everything to lose, nothing to gain, these days saying it is the same as it being true anyway.

When I said too soft, I meant it. I can see how people that rave on Vegas are addicted to it, it is almost pured cavity back nothing. I prefer a little pow with my pure, but I as much as I don't ogle over my Vegas like some people do, they are very nice in a lot of ways and that is their top charm. I can't see myself ever selling them because they are individualistic, and that is exactly what my ho strategy is all about. Obscure and individuality.
[/quote]

You act as though Taylormade worries about Mizuno as a competitor.

They don't.

Regarding the cast vs forged thing and use of materials, when i asked Tom Wishon why there arent more castings made of softer carbon steel, the below was his response. thought I would share.
<paste>
Because there is a predisposed stigma in the minds of many that casting is deficient to forging. And then in addition to that, many have the belief that casting always means harder steels while forging always means softer steels - and they think softer is better than harder.

Yes you can cast some carbon steel alloys. Very recent breakthroughs is just starting to allow some foundries to cast the same 10 series carbon steels that are used in forged irons. But even in casting a 1020 carbon steel, the fact that it is cast would turn off enough of the target market for the club that it would not be commercially successful.

As you say, some companies have done cast soft steel irons, but not many because in the long run, they just never achieve the level of demand to keep that type of club coming year after year.
<end paste>

While I am here, does any one know if it is possible to block an individual thread..make it not visible? searched the forum and found nothing. I realize I will get a code violation (lol) for not being on topic..oh well. i;d sure like to block this thread

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1421939779' post='10797109']
[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1421938015' post='10796923']
the only true test would be if identical head designs made from identical materials were made, one forged, one cast, and then blind presented for testing. i have vague recollections of ping actually taking the time to do this (via a tom wishon wrx post, but a brief search turns up squadoosh).

my memory is pretty hazy, so don't quote me on this as i may be incorrect. the results of the test were that no one - save a couple pros - could correctly identify if a club was cast or forged based soley on the 'feel' of the strike.
[/quote]

Yes. I read a similar article once but even the pros were unable to tell a difference. I used to be a pro forged guy then I hit a few casts that felt better than my ap2s.
[/quote]
I'll second that. Tried S55 and that felt softer and "better" than AP2

When I said too soft, I meant it...
[/quote]

Reminds me of a post on another golf forum.

Two guys on the range (one of them telling the story). One guy is talking about the Mizunos he just bought. He'd been playing Hogans but thought they were too firm, loved the really soft feel he got from his Mizuno set.

The other guy says he just switched away from Mizunos, thought they were too mushy and indistinct. He had bought Hogans, thought they were sweet feeling.

One size does not fit all. :)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1421949044' post='10797953']
These were easily the best looking that I've owned. Unfortunately played my worst golf with them.
[/quote]
Why?
[/quote]
I hit too few greens with them.

As for someone else mentioning the wear marks near the heel on blades, isn't it because the hosel represents more of the heads mass, so therefore it's centre of gravity or MOI is nearer the hosel.

[quote name='Mudguard' timestamp='1421950905' post='10798161']
[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1421949044' post='10797953']
[/quote]
Why?
[/quote]
I hit too few greens with them.

As for someone else mentioning the wear marks near the heel on blades, isn't it because the hosel represents more of the heads mass, so therefore it's centre of gravity or MOI is nearer the hosel.
[/quote]

I get the result, but why?

You're right regarding older blade designs. But that's not the case with contemporary blades, thanks to CAD.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421951513' post='10798207']

NR hit the nail on the head, no one size fits all, but every individual should be able to identify what floats their boat for themselves through their own experience.
[/quote]

No one has ever argued a player isn't able to identify what floats his or her boat.

The debate has always been can a player identify what works best for him or her.

[/quote]
Amen Bigmean! I would love to take the Pepsi challenge too.

It's ironic that the iron makers themselves could easily perform a true apples to apples and meaningful test between cast and forged steel heads with a large sample pool of testers and come to a somewhat objective conclusion on the matter. They have the power and means to remove the stigma, but yet they don't and just complain about the brainwashed masses and so they give in to their whims. It's ironic at the least. Makes me think they know more than they do but in fully disclosing this they may undermine their own product lines.

Hence I'd like to hear from the guys who actually play cast steel blades. There's really no need to get into what Tom Wishon says or the old Ray Floyd test. In the spirit of this thread I want to hear from those with the experience.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1421952774' post='10798407']
[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421951513' post='10798207']

NR hit the nail on the head, no one size fits all, but every individual should be able to identify what floats their boat for themselves through their own experience.
[/quote]

No one has ever argued a player isn't able to identify what floats his or her boat.

The debate has always been can a player identify what works best for him or her.
[/quote]
Hey Startzel the OP and first post is clearly not intending this thread to be a debate. FYI.

How's your blade experience been? Enjoying it?

Registered Bladeocrat

I have owned numerous blades and compared numerous other side by side. I have to say the my '72 Hogan Apexs are the best feeling iron I have hit. These have Apex 4 shafts in them and think that is what makes the difference. The vast majority of blades that I have owned and hit have DGS300s in them. Feel is such a difficult thing to elaborate on especially while trying to write about it. Maybe I'll try to write some more later on after I think more on it.

What's up guys?! It's been a while. Thanks to DeNinny, I found this thread. Thanks for that bro.
Anyhow, I'm Steve (aka Shooter) and probably a 7 HDCP. I'll take that for the thrice a month, weekend warrior that life unfortunately allows me to play the past 10 years.
Pretty much I agree with all the reasons that BigMean states as his reasons to play blades. They're just so much dang fun and rewarding to me.
p.s. BigMean if you haven't tried Titleist blades, please do so asap. They're so much different than Mizzies, but also wonderful in their own way. I recommend 680's. Wayy better than 714's in my opinion.
Here's my sticks(they're awesome:)) [attachment=2581839:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1421954622.767371.jpg]

TM R1 tp black whiteboard60x<br />TM V-Steel 15* paint-break Blueboard 83X<br />TM V-Steel 21* Blueboard 83S<br />MP4 4-PW Project X 6.<br />Vokey Sm4 52* 56* & 60*<br />Nike MC02W

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1421952851' post='10798419']

[/quote]

It's ironic that the iron makers themselves could easily perform a true apples to apples and meaningful test between cast and forged steel heads with a large sample pool of testers and come to a somewhat objective conclusion on the matter. They have the power and means to remove the stigma, but yet they don't and just complain about the brainwashed masses and so they give in to their whims. It's ironic at the least. Makes me think they know more than they do but in fully disclosing this they may undermine their own product lines.

Hence I'd like to hear from the guys who actually play cast steel blades. There's really no need to get into what Tom Wishon says or the old Ray Floyd test. In the spirit of this thread I want to hear from those with the experience.
[/quote]

Obfuscation aids their sales. Why do anything that could possibly dent that? :)

Good to see you, Shooter!

It's a party! Wilson Staffs for everybody!
(LOL)

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1421955129' post='10798657']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
QFT!

Hence we need threads like this and this forum in general to get real world experience and the consumer's perspective. The varying personal perspectives makes me question a marketing claim or test that is contrary to these perspectives.

Same thing applies to the marketing that blades are for the elite players. That's pure hogwash as an absolute claim. It may apply to some, but definitely not all.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='MadGolfer76' timestamp='1420834081' post='10717293']
68's for me. I dunno...I guess I am one of the last handful of people who actually came up playing blades and wooden...woods. My first set was an old MacGregor set 3-sw that was a loaner from a family friend. I played those for years before moving on to something else. I don't really think it is all that big a deal for someone to want to play blades. I don't think ability has as much to do with it as appreciating the way they look behind the ball. I do have another set of 53's, and alternate depending on what I feel like on a particular day.
[/quote]Happy New Year Nick!!

I hope that You and Yours had a great Holiday Season!!

Like Mad, the first iron put in my hand in 1967(7yo)was a cut down Staff DynaPower blade and blades are all that I've ever played.

I played Staff from '67-86 and Mizzy eve since, starting with the TP-7's, followed by two sets of 87's, then the 14's, 33's & finally the 68's, though I also played the last half & finished '12 with the Staff 59's in the bag.

My favorite iron was the 14 and the most overrated were the 87's. I felt that the 14's, 33's and the 68's are a better iron. What I find amazing is that back when I played them, and as I said, I played 2 sets across 6 seasons, I encountered 2 other Players who played em, and I played a lot of golf in a lot of tourneys across a half dozen states. As I got turned onto Mizzy while playing in Europe, though they started North American distribution in '85-86, you just didn't see many Mizzy sets, regardless of model, though guys did start playin em after Seve won a few majors. It's just kind of funny cuz between them being a LE set, and they were only sold through top tier Clubs on this side of the pond, I see/hear of more and more guys playin em every year, lol. While they were a nice iron, the 14's & 33's smoked em, in my opinion.

I hope that when I am able to swing full go again that the 68's/59's aren't too much iron for me however if they are, I have a set of Titleist 735.cm's, Staff split set of Fi5(3i-6i)/Fg62's(7i-PW) and a pristine set of Hogan Radials.

As I've said before, for the past 30 years, when I really started to visualize and refine my PSR, THE most critical factors for me are visually at address, where the top-line and offset have been burned into my mind's eye, to the point that I don't even really see the iron in address, as my mind is playing the swing and shot to come.

While I started out playing what iron that I was given, I grew to love that crisp feeling that I got from a well struck iron. I've hit GI irons and even played a round with the RBZ's as I swapped irons with a Bud on a bet. While I definitely got a distance increase, what with the longer shafts, jacked lofts and what not, no way they came close to that feeling of the blades.

The one blade that I have never hit/played, and I would love to is the Australian Blade. As Brian said, those were all the rage in the mid-late '70s through the early '80s and I was playin the Staff Tour Blade and the 17's. But I'd love to find a pristine set.

I hope that I can still play the blades when I get back, though if not, well, those other irons are nice. I'll adjust.

I don't know anything about Butta and I only curve a ball to get out of trouble, however I do know one thing that for me is gospel...

There is NO feeling in my world(yep, including that, lol) like a crisply struck blade!!!

Nice thread Nick!

Stay well my Friend :)

Have a great season!!

All The Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Ohhh the hoe is awakened again. I'm on the trail of one of my "holy grail" irons at the moment. Don't want to spook them so I'll keep pics to myself till I have them caught. Ever search for a set for 5 years !?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1421954363' post='10798567']
I have to say the my '72 Hogan Apexs are the best feeling iron I have hit.
[/quote]Those are considered the Holy Grail & the greatest Apex iron ever produced, even ahead of the '99s and second to the Personals(Precisions)as far as any Hogan iron by the Staffers that I've spoken with.

Man, those Guys loved those '72s, lol.

You have exquisite taste my Friend :)

Have a great season!

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1421955129' post='10798657']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]Mizzy had their Staffers hitting basically the 63 blanks, both cast and forged and then the 800 Pros, again blank cast and forged irons, and they could not tell the difference.

It goes to what Brian has said above me regarding the factors that do make a difference in feel, and it's not the material, not with today's manufacturing processes.

Have a nice day Gents :)

Fairways & Greens my Friends,
Richard

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421960804' post='10799271']
Ohhh the hoe is awakened again. I'm on the trail of one of my "holy grail" irons at the moment. Don't want to spook them so I'll keep pics to myself till I have them caught. Ever search for a set for 5 years !?
[/quote]
Ok about no pics but let us in on what set. :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='vaterman' timestamp='1421956825' post='10798827']Shoot… great to see you. Really nice sticks[/quote]thanks buddy. Good to be here:). CMON ladies and gents....let's see your blades!!

TM R1 tp black whiteboard60x<br />TM V-Steel 15* paint-break Blueboard 83X<br />TM V-Steel 21* Blueboard 83S<br />MP4 4-PW Project X 6.<br />Vokey Sm4 52* 56* & 60*<br />Nike MC02W

[/quote]

Are you going to get back to me on those Tour Models? :cheesy:

[/quote]

I have just landed a set of MacGregor MT Pro Cs after five years of searching! They are sweet and so easy to hit but make me think that I really should have been chasing the Pro Ms all along!!! I have yet to see a more pretty iron than the Pro M...Don White really knows what a golf club should like like. Neither set was that readily available in the UK back when they were 'new.' :-(

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Awesome stuff happening here.

First, shooter, welcome back bro!

Second, Richard, you are one of the classiest and most awesomely positive guys here. I have always enjoyed your posts and and I bet your mental game is awesome!

Third, BH, don't tell a soul, show a pic or do anything until you have them or lost them. I am an eBay stalker and yes, I have stalked things for years. I don't want to toot my own horn, but literally brand new 2-pw Mac vfoils with corded grips for $240, and vega blades for $330, my recent byron nelson Cleveland's for $129 1-SW.....you need to be a mother&@$@ing ninja, set your limit, and patience pays! Good luck!