2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Does anybody play their blades with graphite or steelfiber shafts? How does the feel compare to steel?

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

BH, I gamed the BF wedge forever and still may as it is on standby. I wore it out and refinished it with my mp 14s but in a rugged way. With the chrome off it is softer than any wedge I have hit. This wedge series is baller as hell. The have a DLIII, an elk, the dd, bf, CS, yup Curtis Strange! Maybe some others? Awesome clubs, but I love my faxon to death.

BF4_zps3c18c15b.jpg

s226.photobucket.com/user/patronamarble/media/BF2_zpscae82ebc.jpg.html]BF2_zpscae82ebc.jpg[/url]

BF1_zps7b1a4395.jpg

BH, I gamed the BF wedge forever and still may as it is on standby. I wore it out and refinished it with my mp 14s but in a rugged way. With the chrome off it is softer than any wedge I have hit. This wedge series is baller as hell. The have a DLIII, an elk, the dd, bf, CS, yup Curtis Strange! Maybe some others? Awesome clubs, but I love my faxon to death.

BF4_zps3c18c15b.jpg

s226.photobucket.com/user/patronamarble/media/BF2_zpscae82ebc.jpg.html]BF2_zpscae82ebc.jpg[/url]

BF1_zps7b1a4395.jpg

I am thinking of shafting this one and the david duval up.... I dig the look your has for sure....and love the 2 stripe ferule ...looks like a Cleveland ferule...

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Thanks, that makes me feel better about buying a $2 ferrule! Yeah, I don't know who Larry bobka is or what year or what the deal with these, but I really can't say enough about the feel and shape and the grind on the BF is great from sand and really everything but touchy super thin lies, I played a trap shot for these with green to work with that is like a low hard lots of spin hit a few times then gently release.

Anyway, the forging is up there with the best of them, and I am a japanese snob :). So shaft them up, I do not think you will be disappointed.

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1422385177' post='10829163']
Then we have the super squarish bullet backs. [attachment=2590201:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1422385155.934916.jpg][attachment=2590203:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1422385171.691002.jpg]
[/quote]

Those resemble my old custom MacGregor 1025 MB's... that I still bring out when ball striking gets on the stinky side.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Nice thread. I've been playing blades for a good long while.

First set was a set of Ram Tour Grinds that I got second hand.
Then moved on to a set of Wilson Staff FG-17s
Next up was a set of Mizuno TP-19s
Then another set of Mizuno TP-19s
Then a set of Titleist 681s
Then some Scratch combos, which were blades in 6-PW
Then a set of Nike VR blades
And now a combo set of Titleist 714s, CB in 2, 3 and 4 and MB in 5 and up.

No pictures though :(

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Can't beat that. 714 Titleist combo set is as all business as it could be. No twirling plastic emblems , no speed slots , no 34 degree pitching wedges ...just a good looking satin iron.

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Been meaning to put up some pics for you guys. I have a few more sets, but they are on the outs. This is how my collection is shaping up.

Wall%205_zpsnwquqa0r.jpg

My garage wall. The missing rack on the left is where my MP 14s are, but buddy has them. Miuras are in the bag.

Wall%206_zpsrtyuxpdq.jpg

My new R58s. I am really happy with these. Will be getting range time soon, but loving everything about them looks wise.

Wall%202_zps4qhtmts2.jpg

The clevelands I scored. Future summer project.

Wall%204_zps2phkearc.jpg

Palmer standard throwbacks, comlete with refinished TP mills putter and persimmon driver.

Wall%203_zpsee3exjbf.jpg

Vegas and some wedges not in the bag currently but I use my wedges.

Wall%201_zpsgxvpjpms.jpg

This shows my Kyoei heads that I ground myself, they are CBs with UST graphite because why the hell not. More novelty than anything but they are mega soft and a little errant (shafts, hey they were $60 for the set!)

Well, that is my gear, maybe I will show the putters at some point.

I have had my MP-32's for about 8 years now and I wouldn't want another set in my bag. I actually have looked for a new set of 32's to keep in the closet when it is officially time to retire my irons I have now, but hopefully that isn't anytime soon. When I hit them spot on, man it feels like butter. I like blades because you know when you hit a bad one and get that feedback.

Been meaning to put up some pics for you guys. I have a few more sets, but they are on the outs. This is how my collection is shaping up.

Wall%205_zpsnwquqa0r.jpg

My garage wall. The missing rack on the left is where my MP 14s are, but buddy has them. Miuras are in the bag.

Wall%206_zpsrtyuxpdq.jpg

My new R58s. I am really happy with these. Will be getting range time soon, but loving everything about them looks wise.

Wall%202_zps4qhtmts2.jpg

Wall%204_zps2phkearc.jpg

Palmer standard throwbacks, comlete with refinished TP mills putter and persimmon driver.

Wall%203_zpsee3exjbf.jpg

Wall%201_zpsgxvpjpms.jpg

This shows my Kyoei heads that I ground myself, they are CBs with UST graphite because why the hell not. More novelty than anything but they are mega soft and a little errant (shafts, hey they were $60 for the set!)

Love the post. Really enjoyed looking at the Palmer and Byron Nelson irons. Thanks for sharing. Nice collection of gear for sure.

Those Nelsons are only great. :)

Thanks for the pics, Biggie.

I should dig out a pic of the array of bags along my garage wall. And my bin o'clubs (drivers, fwy woods, wedges, putters). You'd LOL

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Those Palmer Standard originals in your collection are my all time favorites. I played them from about 1988; bought them used for $85 bucks, and played until 2008, with a four year hiatus in there for recovery from an auto accident. Played a set of Tommy Armour Silver Scot forged MB's for a time after that and then got on the Ho'ing train. I am reaching an age where I probably shouldn't be considering blades again, but having experienced puring many shots with one, it is a memory that stays with you; I want to do it again.

Thanks for this thread.

Wall%205_zpsnwquqa0r.jpg

Wall%206_zpsrtyuxpdq.jpg

Wall%202_zps4qhtmts2.jpg

Wall%204_zps2phkearc.jpg

Wall%203_zpsee3exjbf.jpg

Wall%201_zpsgxvpjpms.jpg

very nice BM.... My collection isn't where I can see it...and its a goal of mine to get it to where I can view them anytime...seems like a shame to have them all stuck into a closet like I do.... this has motivated me again to do something about that...now to figure out what...

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

yururi have some amazing looking wedges (see below). if you want to go a bit more economical, i am really enjoying the mizuno t4s.

wedgeaddtess2.jpg

image is from tourspecgolf.com. wrx sponsor fairwaygolfusa.com also sells them.

http://www.fairwaygolfusa.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&categories_id=1_20&multioption=1&cPath=1_20&index_manufacturers_id=&manufacturers_id=1053

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1422485454' post='10837181']
[/quote]

Bigmean that shop and collection is bona fide blade pr0n (XXX rated, hardcore).

I also want to mention that with this thread you have done the impossible. I have been a member here since just before I got my mp-67 blades, and I have never seen a positive blades thread such as this in all that time. I have never seen as many members posting their blades stories as this one. It's so nice to finally have a discussion about it. This is seriously a special thread.

:good:

Registered Bladeocrat

You guys have some great collections. It's time to build one of those wooden racks.

And yes, 18 pages and none that lousy debate nonsense, great idea on the thread title!!

post-150551-14162521445643_thumb.jpg

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

^ Sho'nuff, JimNewton!

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Willian70' timestamp='1422501552' post='10838889']
What is the best blade like wedge? I have RC14 Adams wedges right now and I am looking for some Mizuno blade like wedges. I really want something like my MP 67 but the set stops at PW. I feel 52, 56, 60 works best for me. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, it's yet another instance of one size not fitting all.

Wedges are highly personal, dependent on the appearance, the swing type, course conditions, type of shots preferred, and maybe even phases of the moon.

Do you like a straighter leading edge, or one that's rounded?
Do you like or need a lot of bounce?
Wide sole, medium sole, narrow sole?
Do you regularly open your wedge, or maybe play flops not infrequently?

And so on. :)

Personally, I've been going back and forth between Scratch 8620 wedges, and assorted Rams, mostly the old Tom Watson models, though I picked up an 82 Commemorative 58° at the end of the season that might see some play in 2015.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1422541174' post='10840543']
[quote name='Willian70' timestamp='1422501552' post='10838889']
What is the best blade like wedge? I have RC14 Adams wedges right now and I am looking for some Mizuno blade like wedges. I really want something like my MP 67 but the set stops at PW. I feel 52, 56, 60 works best for me. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, it's yet another instance of one size not fitting all.

Wedges are highly personal, dependent on the appearance, the swing type, course conditions, type of shots preferred, and maybe even phases of the moon.

Do you like a straighter leading edge, or one that's rounded?
Do you like or need a lot of bounce?
Wide sole, medium sole, narrow sole?
Do you regularly open your wedge, or maybe play flops not infrequently?

And so on. :)

Personally, I've been going back and forth between Scratch 8620 wedges, and assorted Rams, mostly the old Tom Watson models, though I picked up an 82 Commemorative 58° at the end of the season that might see some play in 2015.
[/quote]

I am looking for wedges that are similar to the size and shape of my MP 67 PW. I love that club! I would like GW, SW, LW to match the set or something similar that came out around the time of MP 67s.. I have found the R-Series wedges to be ideal but I also like the T-4. I am looking for a grind to give me a nice one hop stop. The RC14s give me the one hop stooooooooooooooooooo...rollout a bit....ooop! (lol)

yururi have some amazing looking wedges (see below). if you want to go a bit more economical, i am really enjoying the mizuno t4s.

wedgeaddtess2.jpg

image is from tourspecgolf.com. wrx sponsor fairwaygolfusa.com also sells them.

http://www.fairwaygo...cturers_id=1053

Those are a bit much....haha. But thanks for the info.

I am not sure what blade like wedge means, but I have a cobra greg Norman 54 I use from like 80-115 and bag course dependent, and that series to me is very sweet and I guess most blade like I have used. Probably sub $30 on eBay....

And thanks for the comments guys. I am still new enough to where the concept of this thread is is not so crazy.

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1422551851' post='10841859']
I am not sure what blade like wedge means, but I have a cobra greg Norman 54 I use from like 80-115 and bag course dependent, and that series to me is very sweet and I guess most blade like I have used. Probably sub $30 on eBay....

And thanks for the comments guys. I am still new enough to where the concept of this thread is is not so crazy.
[/quote]

Great thread BM!

I just looked at these clubs 5 mins ago....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-COBRA-GREG-NORMAN-SIGNATURE-FORGED-BLADE-IRONS-3-PW-STIFF-SHAFTS-9920-/181652196045?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item2a4b508acd

....if only I had the available funds...

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

[quote name='mahonie' timestamp='1422552337' post='10841905']

[/quote]

Great thread BM!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-COBRA-GREG-NORMAN-SIGNATURE-FORGED-BLADE-IRONS-3-PW-STIFF-SHAFTS-9920-/181652196045?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item2a4b508acd"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a4b508acd[/url]

[/quote]

You should have seen them in the early 2000s. Local establishment that deals in used golf equipment had a set on the wall, priced in excess of $1100 USD (probably around £750).

Used. Ouch.

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1422560249' post='10842699']

[/quote]

Great thread BM!

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-COBRA-GREG-NORMAN-SIGNATURE-FORGED-BLADE-IRONS-3-PW-STIFF-SHAFTS-9920-/181652196045?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Golf_GolfClubs_JN&hash=item2a4b508acd"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item2a4b508acd[/url]

[/quote]

You should have seen them in the early 2000s. Local establishment that deals in used golf equipment had a set on the wall, priced in excess of $1100 USD (probably around £750).

Used. Ouch.
[/quote]

Ouch indeed! Makes this set look like a bargain! The narrowness of the sole right up to PW is something else. Just started reading Norman's autobiography...interesting to see that he worked on his own clubs all through his career.

Radius Classic 8

The Norman Signature Grinds are essentially MacGregor Tommy Armour 915/925, or 985 Tourney Customs. Not sure of the difference between those models, though I think the 985s were named such because Tommy Armour had moved on to his own company by then, and the name wasn't available for MacGregor's use.

Being a high trajectory guy, I've always been intrigued to try a set like this. Would be interesting. Even now, in spite of hitting it considerably lower than I did a dozen years ago....

Wish that Norman had made something of MacGregor when he was the boss. The MT Pro M is one of the purest muscle back designs

Radius Classic 8

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1422416270' post='10832481']
Does anybody play their blades with graphite or steelfiber shafts? How does the feel compare to steel?
[/quote]

When I was back I to it and shooting decent I almost reshafted my mizunos like this considering my back, but the bottom line is that it is really a hands thing and graphite to me is squirrelly. Nippons are so smooth as with others now it probably isn't worth the expense/dispersion difference...

[/quote]

Great thread BM!

[/quote]

These are beauties