Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

[attachment=2582153:[quote name='shooterMcGee' timestamp='1421962975' post='10799473']
[quote name='vaterman' timestamp='1421956825' post='10798827']Shoot… great to see you. Really nice sticks[/quote]thanks buddy. Good to be here:). CMON ladies and gents....let's see your blades!!
[/quote]
Okay.
[attachment=2582153:AMBlade.jpeg]

Please excuse the deviation from the blades but you know how I always go off on tangents ;)

Staff had, hands down, the coolest Staff/Mini Staff bags goin.

We had a four club Inter-Club event that has a Ryder Cup format and in 1987 I came out of no where(well, I thought I'd win but no one else did, lol) to win the Club and the teams were picked before the 36 hole finals. So as any of you know that have played in these types of events, as there is no point system, it's all subjective. I know at our club, there are always 6-7 sure picks then the last 3-4 you could pick from 7-8 guys.

Even though I had been a member since I was 14yo, I wasn't a "clubber," what with playing football and well, I'll just say that I didn't have the typical "clubber" personality, so while I was one of the top 10 Players, no way I was gettin picked as a 27yo outsider.

Well, my winning the Club through a wrench into the selection process(I also won the next year though I was already picked for that team)-

Well, I'm not a quiet winner, and I'm an even worse loser, especially when I feel that I've been royally shafted.

So to shut me up, they gave me a monogrammed leather Staff Mini-Staff bag with these brass buckles that the team members got from The Staff rep and Staff. Coolest bag and buckles I've ever seen. Even though I was playin Mizzy irons and Pena driver with Citation Fairways, I threw the soft leather Staff head covers on em and I was good, lol.

The fact that I hadn't really earned the bag meant nothing, lol, cuz I jus rationalized that it was another prize for winning the Club, lol.

They just don't make em like that anymore and they haven't for a while. I replaced that bag the following season with the team bag that was identical red/white however I had earned that bag and I used it for 8 seasons. Durable as hell.

Rationalize and Compartmentalize, lol

Anyhoo, best looking Staff bag and buckles goin!!

Again, sorry for the train wreck :)

DeNin's will be by soon to pick me up, dust me off and throw me back on the tracks, lol

Have a nice evening Gents :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Loving the old school. I will be stand bag for life at this point, but there is something sexy about a big leather stand bag..... There was a mini macgregor staff bag on eBay in mint condition for like $50, white, so pimp, I didn't get it because even I know where to draw the ho line sometimes, but I was like "this would be awesome to keep wedges and woods in the garage in! Then I was like, "you sooo do not need this at all". Hahahaha.

Pm sent arefel. Been a long day. Mums the word for now. I'll throw a little misdirection in and say I'm looking at several sets. Lol. Waiting on some pics etc at the moment. May not be a big deal to everyone else but I've had a hit list for a long time and these are an itch I haven't been able to scratch. Close but not close enough a few times. Lol. Sorry. I shouldn't have said anything to start with. I couldnt help myself.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421970966' post='10800169']
Pm sent arefel. Been a long day. Mums the word for now. I'll throw a little misdirection in and say I'm looking at several sets. Lol. Waiting on some pics etc at the moment. May not be a big deal to everyone else but I've had a hit list for a long time and these are an itch I haven't been able to scratch. Close but not close enough a few times. Lol. Sorry. I shouldn't have said anything to start with. I couldnt help myself.
[/quote]I can barely use my phone to post here and it took me two months to learn how to post pics.

Hell, I do enough fiscal damage just walking from the locker room through the pro-shop to the tee. When I go through the locker room door into the shop, to my immediate left is the Mizzy wall, to my right is Titleist and straight ahead, Scotty.

Hell, I was pickin out a Scotty last summer, bumped into the Adams staff bag with hybrids next to it and ended up with a Scotty, two Adams hybrids and Ping G30 driver-

I kid you not!!

And I'm walkin with a cane, am blind in one eye and can't swing a club full speed if my life were on the line.

Yea, I've got a great mental game ;)

I'm a frickin mental basket case...

But damn are those clubs pretty!

Bottom line, I don't need to learn how to shop on the bay ;)

Good luck with your bidding Blade!!

I'll live vicariously through you guys :)

All The Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[/quote]

Take your pick.

[attachment=2582273:IMG_3984.JPG]

These were probably the pinnacle of cast clubs, almost to soft. I dinged the 8 iron with a rock that would never do the damage to any forged iron I've had.

Blades up to the 8 iron, kind of a mb half cavity in the 7 and cavity back 6-2 iron.

There small, and have this beautiful thin top line.

Plus there a pure joy to play, and a softness like know other.

I would bet with a nickel alloy, they cost more then most to construct.

61AC7D90-93AE-462E-8B88-7288349C002E-2153-000002BEEC13BE93_zps0a755a5f.jpg

B102EA88-94BD-4D9A-A3CF-AA066C3CBF7F-123-00000017B9FE56F2_zps3fb660ff.jpg

Thank you 12tamale. It is interesting that you state the cast blades were almost too soft just like bigmean said about his oxide vegas.

Does too soft mean you lost a little feedback because of it?

One thing for sure is that I will consider the grade and quality of the cast steel if I go to a cast blade.

They were made from a High Nickel content alloy, and that makes them a very soft metal, and easy to ding up.

There beautifully made, and the chrome plating is durable, but the inherent softness of nickel made them as soft or softer then most forged irons.

When hit in the middle they have a feel like no other iron.

They are easier to hit then most forged clubs, and had a very thin top line, very little offset, narrow sole, and were Maxflis last hurrah before Taylormade bought them out.

One of my favorite sets, but almost impossible to replace, as they've gotten very difficult to find, especially in nice condition.

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1421972905' post='10800347']
[/quote]

Take your pick.

[attachment=2582273:IMG_3984.JPG]
[/quote]GREAT pics A!!

Yea, the 87s and 29s should have just had "Hogan" on em cuz all Nakajima and Mizzy did was copy Mr. Hogan's Personals(Precisions)

I stayed with the 14's but the guys that played the 29's to this day swear they're the finest Mizzy they've played.

Thanks for the pic!!

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1421951254' post='10798183']
[quote name='Mudguard' timestamp='1421525212' post='10765123']
These were easily the best looking that I've owned. Unfortunately played my worst golf with them.
[/quote]
Why
I get the result, but why?
[/quote] I agree, modern clubs seem to have addressed this heel bias, but I think modern clubs are much more resistant to the face wearing also. I have a friend who is a pro who goes out of his way with new irons to hit buckets of range balls from a sandy range, I'm sure just to demonstrate precisely where he hits the face. As for the scratch irons, my misses were often short, my home course has six par threes, so I hit longer irons than I would at another course. So if you have a poor iron day, your card reflects it unless you get up and down like a god. I simply need a bigger clubhead, the Scratch irons were too penal on mishits

Shhhh!!!![attachment=2582773:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1421985255.983616.jpg]

made the deal! Long story short I have wanted a set of titleist Custom Grinds since i was in school and i heard about them... These were available for order through titleist custom dept...most have large muscle pads, some heel relief and some heel and leading edge grinds.... Square and round toe were also very pronounced.... Instead of saying "tour model" they where stamped custom grind and carried a number stamp of their particular grind....some grinds were designs by tour players...such as the infamous "Elk" grind steve elkington played....I am not an expert on these so if anyone else has more knowledge feel free to let me know.... A member here had several sets stashed away... I bought them all.. also some original forged wedges from as early as 1984 up to a forged vokey from the early days... I have collected tour models for years and i have some nice ones but never seemed to be able to capture a custom grind set.... In fact ive missed them by as little as 99 cents on ebay and even once had a set sold ut from under me after i paid.... he refunded my money but someone offered more and he ripped them out from under me... I was pissed..lol anyway now i have too many...but just one of those things you cant pass on... The head shapes are so different even though they are the same "model" ...I guess ill check them out in person and decide which suits me best and maybe (probably not) sell at least one set. (square toe set a friend may want) .... The pic is the 1 iron for the 91-94 set and is mint.look how large the muscle pad is..lol makes the 681 look like a wimp ha! .. Ill post more pics once they are in hand...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='12tamale' timestamp='1421974704' post='10800505']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1421945468' post='10797611']
[quote name='12tamale' timestamp='1421940371' post='10797155']
These were probably the pinnacle of cast clubs, almost to soft. I dinged the 8 iron with a rock that would never do the damage to any forged iron I've had.
Blades up to the 8 iron, kind of a mb half cavity in the 7 and cavity back 6-2 iron.
[/quote]
Thank you 12tamale. It is interesting that you state the cast blades were almost too soft just like bigmean said about his oxide vegas.

One thing for sure is that I will consider the grade and quality of the cast steel if I go to a cast blade.
[/quote]

They were made from a High Nickel content alloy, and that makes them a very soft metal, and easy to ding up.
There beautifully made, and the chrome plating is durable, but the inherent softness of nickel made them as soft or softer then most forged irons.
They are easier to hit then most forged clubs, and had a very thin top line, very little offset, narrow sole, and were Maxflis last hurrah before Taylormade bought them out.
One of my favorite sets, but almost impossible to replace, as they've gotten very difficult to find, especially in nice condition.
[/quote]
It's interesting that several of these soft and great feeling cast clubs aren't from the standard "vanilla" cast ss you find in, say, your everyday CB/GI clubs. That's an important distinction to me. I wonder how those Maxflis would feel if they were made from forged ss with the same high nickel content. Would they feel even better? Or if they were made from vanilla cast ss.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your personal experience with this.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421985285' post='10801541']
Shhhh!!!![attachment=2582773:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1421985255.983616.jpg]

made the deal! Long story short I have wanted a set of titleist Custom Grinds since i was in school and i heard about them... These were available for order through titleist custom dept...most have large muscle pads, some heel relief and some heel and leading edge grinds.... Square and round toe were also very pronounced.... Instead of saying "tour model" they where stamped custom grind and carried a number stamp of their particular grind....some grinds were designs by tour players...such as the infamous "Elk" grind steve elkington played....I am not an expert on these so if anyone else has more knowledge feel free to let me know.... A member here had several sets stashed away... I bought them all.. also some original forged wedges from as early as 1984 up to a forged vokey from the early days... I have collected tour models for years and i have some nice ones but never seemed to be able to capture a custom grind set.... In fact ive missed them by as little as 99 cents on ebay and even once had a set sold ut from under me after i paid.... he refunded my money but someone offered more and he ripped them out from under me... I was pissed..lol anyway now i have too many...but just one of those things you cant pass on... The head shapes are so different even though they are the same "model" ...I guess ill check them out in person and decide which suits me best and maybe (probably not) sell at least one set. (square toe set a friend may want) .... The pic is the 1 iron for the 91-94 set and is mint.look how large the muscle pad is..lol makes the 681 look like a wimp ha! .. Ill post more pics once they are in hand...
[/quote]

Awesome score bladehunter! I wonder how long it will take shooterMcGee to recover from fainting after he sees this and your other pics.

Are you going to paintfill those or do anything cosmetically?

Also let us know how they play as compared to your other blades. Pretty please? (I'll forgive you for dropping Mizuno from your bag if you end up doing that...sacrilege!)

Registered Bladeocrat

lol.... I have no idea if any of these will get into the "serious" bag.... But definitely the sunday shag bag... the MP68s are just so damn easy and I have such a good fit shaft wise with them it would be hard to kick them out .. But who knows.... Its hard to describe how long I have searched for these..bought sets trying to "settle" for others and not being happy... 681 countless tour models etc...all very nice...but just wanting these in the 90s while in school and not being able to get a sniff . They were very expensive then and it really is very cool to finally find some... Now Im researching them to figure out the grind characteristics etc.... so far one set is 91-94 and appears to have the MP29 looking muscle pad.... another square toe bullet back 89 model with diamonds framing the scoring lines and the 3rd im not sure yet...they are 94 or newer for sure but have an odd muscle pad.... has a slight cutout... or notch in the rear of the muscle pad.. anyway sorry to Geek out....but when you catch the white whale,,, well you get excited!

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

oh and by the way sales numbers on the BST will be down for quite a while as I have banned myself from even "browsing" there and im certainly not allowed on ebay... lol I purged 3 iron sets 3 months ago and now am back up those 3 plus 2.. ahhh
!!!!

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1421960272' post='10799201']
There is NO feeling in my world(yep, including that, lol) like a crisply struck blade!!!
[/quote]
That's what I say too. Gospel.

Richard I see you've paintfilled your Mizuno logo (LOL pink...not surprised at all). If you want it to last, over the paint you can fill the logo with 20 min setting epoxy (found at a hobby shop) and it will put a resin barrier over the paint that will last longer than just the paint by itself, and also the logo (and number) never gets dirt in it. I've done my set this way (8i shown below), and I've never had to repaintfill them in years. The only exception has been my 60 degree which gets worn in the sand the most. You have to delicately fill the epoxy into the stampings just right with a pin and then wipe the epoxy flush to the metal surface before it hardens. It takes some trial and error.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:2410321]

Registered Bladeocrat

It's interesting that several of these soft and great feeling cast clubs aren't from the standard "vanilla" cast ss you find in, say, your everyday CB/GI clubs. That's an important distinction to me. I wonder how those Maxflis would feel if they were made from forged ss with the same high nickel content. Would they feel even better? Or if they were made from vanilla cast ss.

Anyway, thanks again for sharing your personal experience with this.

I bet they would be on par with anything forged, just by being cast.

Maxfli has some patent involved with the process, multilayer or multimetal.

2 irons. Ones a mp-33 the other is a 2 iron I bought new old stock, Maxfli A10 tour ltd.

almost a satin finish, due to the nickel.

FC220E68-A599-451A-8F4B-7AC66426BEED_zpsat3nxqaj.jpg

DACD51F3-4DA1-4846-A274-9D6C85F7460D_zps1hjojj6k.jpg

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

Hey 12. As you know these are a longtime favorite of mine and a few years ago when there were more sets around I looked to get a collection of them as I regard them as a rare and iconic set.

I have 3 of them. One with rifle 5.5 (gamer set) 2iron to pw with r300's and a mint set (virtually unhit) with original s300 complete with the factory headcovers. No way I am selling any of them. Glad I put them away when I could.

Hey 12. As you know these are a longtime favorite of mine and a few years ago when there were more sets around I looked to get a collection of them as I regard them as a rare and iconic set.

I have 3 of them. One with rifle 5.5 (gamer set) 2iron to pw with r300's and a mint set (virtually unhit) with original s300 complete with the factory headcovers. No way I am selling any of them. Glad I put them away when I could.

I'm glad years ago you suggested them, and I picked up a set. Thanks Op

There virtually nonexistent for sale now.

Once in awhile you see a beatup set for sale, or an individual iron.

I've been looking for a couple wedges for years.

You know these had the most, highest reviews ever on Golfreview.

Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo

He BH, those are beautiful. The square toe sounds awesome in my book, but what you posted is so clean and mint. Part of my plan, which is also on mega lock down for at least 6-8 months with my recent 2 set purchases, is to get a titliest set in the group, but I need to narrow it down to one and only one. Congrats!

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1421995935' post='10802177']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1421960272' post='10799201']
There is NO feeling in my world(yep, including that, lol) like a crisply struck blade!!!
[/quote]
That's what I say too. Gospel.

Richard I see you've paintfilled your Mizuno logo (LOL pink...not surprised at all). If you want it to last, over the paint you can fill the logo with 20 min setting epoxy (found at a hobby shop) and it will put a resin barrier over the paint that will last longer than just the paint by itself, and also the logo (and number) never gets dirt in it. I've done my set this way (8i shown below), and I've never had to repaintfill them in years. The only exception has been my 60 degree which gets worn in the sand the most. You have to delicately fill the epoxy into the stampings just right with a pin and then wipe the epoxy flush to the metal surface before it hardens. It takes some trial and error.
[/quote]Thank You much for the info!!

I have to refill them probably 1/month and I just looked at that as the "cost of doin business," regarding the fill. I'll message you with a few questions.

Thanks again Bro

Have a great day

My Best,
Richard

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1421988928' post='10801825'][quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421985285' post='10801541']

[/quote]

Awesome score bladehunter! I wonder how long it will take shooterMcGee to recover from fainting after he sees this and your other pics.

Are you going to paintfill those or do anything cosmetically?

Also let us know how they play as compared to your other blades. Pretty please? (I'll forgive you for dropping Mizuno from your bag if you end up doing that...sacrilege!)[/quote]sorry...just recovering from fainting lol. Yes Bladehunter is a cool cat with magical taste in clubs, to that I can attest! Love those 681's. Although I can't say enough about the 680's. Wonder why they didn't make those available as a custom grind? :/

TM R1 tp black whiteboard60x<br />TM V-Steel 15* paint-break Blueboard 83X<br />TM V-Steel 21* Blueboard 83S<br />MP4 4-PW Project X 6.<br />Vokey Sm4 52* 56* & 60*<br />Nike MC02W

good question shooter... I have no idea why they quit the custom dept after the 681.... You didn't know I had a reason for getting rid of the 681s did you? LoL was trying to make room for the custom grinds when I found them... That way I could slip it by the wife... "Honey I sold all my spare titleist so I can get the set I really want IF I find them." She rolled her eyes as if to say "whatever" she didn't know I was paving the road for this purchase...That way I can say "I told you I had sold several sets to make room to buy these" she will have no idea in that small box is 3 irons sets..lol...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[attachment=2583011:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1422024871.129983.jpg]

Teaser pic of the ones with mp29 like muscle pad. (Best Pics I have at the moment )

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Last year hocked the 64s and I finally became a blade runner (MP4s)! I hope I am not too new to comment on this but switching to blades is the best golf decision I could have made! LOVE BLADES!

The common advice that they are only for scratch golfers, or people that want to play compettive golf is flat out wrong.
I enjoy golf now more than I ever have because of the unreal feeling I get from striking a ball perfectly with an awesome and beautiful iron. If you mishit the ball, you should see it so you can learn to correct. I think the advice mentioned above is totally inaccurate as I have dropped almost 10 strokes in a year and half, no lessons other than my mishits!

One question I haven't been able to answer is: Is there any reason to hit a long iron blade?
I currently have MP H4 3&4 irons because I only use them for short par 4s, real long par 5s (with no ability to get there in two) and long par 3s, it is very rare that I would hit the 3 from a fairway, so essentially they are long range piercing flight driving clubs.... thoughts?
Would a blade 4 Iron be better out of the middle cut than a MPH4? If I am in deep rough I wouldn't even consider hitting a 3/4 Iron. THX

Callaway X2Hot 9.5*, pro 15*, deep 18.5* (Motore Speeder vc 6.2 X)
MPH4 3 -4
MP4 5-pw
Vokey 54*,58*
scotty del mar

[quote name='castrojd' timestamp='1422033726' post='10804067']
Last year hocked the 64s and I finally became a blade runner (MP4s)! I hope I am not too new to comment on this but switching to blades is the best golf decision I could have made! LOVE BLADES!

The common advice that they are only for scratch golfers, or people that want to play compettive golf is flat out wrong.
I enjoy golf now more than I ever have because of the unreal feeling I get from striking a ball perfectly with an awesome and beautiful iron. If you mishit the ball, you should see it so you can learn to correct. I think the advice mentioned above is totally inaccurate as I have dropped almost 10 strokes in a year and half, no lessons other than my mishits!

One question I haven't been able to answer is: Is there any reason to hit a long iron blade?
I currently have MP H4 3&amp;4 irons because I only use them for short par 4s, real long par 5s (with no ability to get there in two) and long par 3s, it is very rare that I would hit the 3 from a fairway, so essentially they are long range piercing flight driving clubs.... thoughts?
Would a blade 4 Iron be better out of the middle cut than a MPH4? If I am in deep rough I wouldn't even consider hitting a 3/4 Iron. THX
[/quote]
Agreed wholeheartedly on the skill level marketing malarkey. So many golfers with personal experience continue to disprove that myth.

I have come to love blades too. I really don't understand how someone doesn't want to play a blade or at least give them a chance for like a season. They are a pure joy to play. Fun fun FUN!

The long iron question is situational and depends on course conditions. In general if it is windy I play my 3i but mostly I play the 7w because it offers me a wider range of distance and I can get the ball to stop better with it because the trajectory is higher. I call my 7w my 190 yd wedge lol. My 3i doesn't stop as well.

Registered Bladeocrat