2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421727408' post='10781283']
...my small blades impact just connects with my soul. They are the right amount of everything. The right feedback, the right stickiness on the face, the right density, effortless ropes, I can even hit lots of bad shots with them! :) I am not saying all would agree, or right for everyone and their swing, and certainly they are bend over luxury tax, BUT, the difference is certainly discernible, and that is more than can be said for a lot of material goods akin to Miuras.
[/quote]

I've been perusing the Miura website even more because of you. The baby blades have very many good comments and reviews. I really like the concept of the denser muscle back because of the smaller head. It has to provide excellent feedback and control, by the science of it. And the smaller head should be better through the turf. I think the psychology of the smaller head is the downside but that can be overcome.

I also liked the open admission that the tournament blade design has not changed for seven years.

Oh and vaterman, you may already know about this, but one of the reviews on the Miura site was from a Dane that bought them here: [url="http://www.verberkmoesgolf.nl/"]http://www.verberkmoesgolf.nl/[/url]. Just thought I'd pass it along.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Sorry Ninny.

Thank you for thinking about me. I did not know but that is probably because the guy you are linking to is Dutch or from Netherlands (Holland) which is very far from Danish.

I have only seen two sets of Miuras ever for sale here in Denmark. One of the sets was owned by a mini-tour pro that I worked with. He offered me his set at a very sweet deal. But unfortunately his initials was stamped in them and they were fitted with XX stiff shafts. NOT for me. But yiauwsaaa! they look good in real life.

The other set was for sale at around 1000 usd. And had DG300S shafts that are too heavy for my liking.

None of the dealers in this country has Miuras in stock so you can't really get to try them out before bying. Dealers only order them at Miura.

Wow, ok. Lots happening here.

First, I think definition of a blade or MB needs to be referenced, lots of cb pics happening, albeit the kind of CBs I would game in heartbeat.

Deninny, cast iron is for machinery and cooking, cast steel is for clubs. Not trying to be jerk, but I was having a hard time reading that over and over :). Now, the good news is that if you want to hit a cast blade, I will sell you my TMs for whatever is the lowest end of fair. They are cast. They could be a cheap trial for you.

Vaterman, do you remember my joke about windmills and wooden shoes from last thread? I think NR called it out.....as dry humor sarcasm is really difficult to pull off in text. Don't worry brother, I know you Danes are all a about sleek design and architecture :)

As far as the small blades, here is a fun fact. I would bet that I hit the sweet zone of them with a higher percentage than my full sized Vegas. I have not hit my mp 14s really at all in m trial range sessions, but mostly the japanese irons, and despite the size, I hit them with a better percentage of good strike than the Vegas and my vfoils the times I brought them. Not sure how logical or not that may be, but it is proving to be true for me.

The miura small head talk made me think of a pic I shared on last thread. It will serve 2 purposes for our thread. I hit about 7/8 shots with my mp 14 8 iron after hitting my miura bb 8 iron. This was the day I rebroke my rib, and I wasting a comparing my mizzys and Miuras, here is the club untouched after.

clubs6_zpsd160d67d.jpg

Now I tend to miss to the heel, but that impact area is influenced from switching from the small blade to this one, if that gives you any indication of what you are kinda in for with the small blades. On top of being a smaller blade, they want to be hit toward the heel with a slightly heel biased sweetspot, so that may make them a totally different club in someone else's eyes than mine.

Point 2. One thing about blades that is more important than handicap and never talked about, is where you hit the ball and where you miss. I have most always been a heel miss guy, and that is probably why even at higher caps, blades always appealed to me. As bad as the misses on that 8 iron look, I can tell you from watching the balls in person, every shot was hitting a green, felt solid, but also not pured and I know that heel feeling. But in reality, the miss where those marks are feels not as far off as it is, and the ball flight is also not as effected as you would think. Blades like to be hit toward the heel. I rarely see that here, and I think those that done get along with blades and may just be toe miss guys and that makes total sense. Anyway just something to think about. I think it is more important than handicap, meaning a 15 that hits it center or heel is better off with blades than a 9 who is center or toe or whatever.

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1421898932' post='10795301']
Why aren't there more cast iron blades on the market?

I'm hoping someone that has actually hit these rare clubs can share their personal experience with how their feel compares to forged blades. I only have experience with cast vs forged iron CBs but that is for a separate thread.

Edit: It just came to me that with a blade's design the feel is more acute and so maybe it enables a golfer to feel the difference between forged and cast steel. The cavity design tends to dampen the feel (and feedback) and so that is why there's not as much of a difference in the feel with that design.

It would make business sense to me for a club manufacturer to make cast iron blades. Yet they don't.
[/quote]

I know what you're trying to extrapolate here. 'If a manufacturer doesn't make a cast blade it must mean that forged is better than cast'

But the answer is the market. If a buyer doesn't believe in the science behind a cavity back, there is no way that buyer is going to believe cast is equal to or better than forged.

Been playing Titleist 695MB and 660 Forged for the last 4 years. I enjoy both the looks, the ball flight but mostly the feedback on impact.
For this season I will begin using AP2 714s and from the custom fitting I can feel a small difference in feedback. The response of where I hit the ball of the face is harder to detect. I suppose the newer clubs with more forgiving technology makes off center hits more alike on center hits.

The 695s:
[attachment=2581517:AoeA0gY small.jpg]

The 660 Forged:
[attachment=2581515:660 forged small.jpg]

Titleist 915 D2 Aldila Rogue 70
Titleist 915F Aldila Rogue 80
Titleist 909H 21dgr
Titleist AP2 714 4-PW PX6.5
Mizuno T11 52/56
Oddyssey Metal-x #8

BM

Yop I remember. Guess I failed to recognize the joke Again. Nevermind... gave me an oppertunity to give some Danish lessons. And boy are you right about the sleek designs and architecture.... and windmills.

Besides. Great info on the smaller blade heads. It's funny because I too tend to err on the heelside.

[quote name='Mudguard' timestamp='1421907403' post='10795867']
I'm not sure how the 62's or the Tourstage are blades?
[/quote]
There not, but the z-101 at address, has a top line to die for. Scary thin, and there small.
The 62 is almost a mb blade, that cavity is a joke.
I'm not joking, they feel as soft as the 33 I bought.
I was about half plowed when I posted the pics.

When I bag any of these, the usual response is
" You are playing blades "

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1421929608' post='10796325']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1421898932' post='10795301']
Why aren't there more cast iron blades on the market?

I'm hoping someone that has actually hit these rare clubs can share their personal experience with how their feel compares to forged blades. I only have experience with cast vs forged iron CBs but that is for a separate thread.

Edit: It just came to me that with a blade's design the feel is more acute and so maybe it enables a golfer to feel the difference between forged and cast steel. The cavity design tends to dampen the feel (and feedback) and so that is why there's not as much of a difference in the feel with that design.

It would make business sense to me for a club manufacturer to make cast iron blades. Yet they don't.
[/quote]

I know what you're trying to extrapolate here. 'If a manufacturer doesn't make a cast blade it must mean that forged is better than cast'

But the answer is the market. If a buyer doesn't believe in the science behind a cavity back, there is no way that buyer is going to believe cast is equal to or better than forged.
[/quote]
This is an interesting comment. I'm actually upset at the manufacturers for not selling a viable product that could result in sales for them.

I believe if you read my post later to LUMA I stated I would play a cast steel blade if it felt and performed as good as my mp67s.

I did not realize you became a blade user Startzel. Congratulations! Can you share your pic of your blades or why you decided to switch to them finally?

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421926979' post='10796245']
Deninny, cast iron is for machinery and cooking, cast steel is for clubs. Not trying to be jerk, but I was having a hard time reading that over and over :). Now, the good news is that if you want to hit a cast blade, I will sell you my TMs for whatever is the lowest end of fair. They are cast. They could be a cheap trial for you.
As far as the small blades, here is a fun fact. I would bet that I hit the sweet zone of them with a higher percentage than my full sized Vegas. I have not hit my mp 14s really at all in m trial range sessions, but mostly the japanese irons, and despite the size, I hit them with a better percentage of good strike than the Vegas and my vfoils the times I brought them. Not sure how logical or not that may be, but it is proving to be true for me.
[/quote]
Sorry again for the shorthand re cast iron! I should know better but dammit steel has iron in it!

I will consider the offer on the cast STEEL blades, but that is a later purchase for me.

Thanks for sharing more baby blade experience. I am really considering them if miuras are not too expensive and out of my budget. It all comes down to demoing them. I really hope the shop I found has them for demo.

Registered Bladeocrat

First post guys......

I think that despite claims, most people that want blades want forged since people want blades for feel, and even if forged feels only a little better, blades are easy enough to stamp and not worth trying to market something different to a minority that is feel oriented. I think manufactures have it right to not waste money making more offerings that will be shunned by most of that small market to a tiny segment.

Deninny, you have posted in the past about understanding there is molecular science behind forging, so not sure why you are now clammering for a cast blade?

My TMs feel fine, they are cast. The best feeling clubs I have hit are forged, not saying that is the only reason, but it is always part of the equation, mizuno whole heartedly is all in with this philosophy. They have smarter people than I, but japanese are also very biased to forged.

[quote name='vaterman' timestamp='1421922824' post='10796181']
Sorry Ninny.

Thank you for thinking about me. I did not know but that is probably because the guy you are linking to is Dutch or from Netherlands (Holland) which is very far from Danish.

I have only seen two sets of Miuras ever for sale here in Denmark. One of the sets was owned by a mini-tour pro that I worked with. He offered me his set at a very sweet deal. But unfortunately his initials was stamped in them and they were fitted with XX stiff shafts. NOT for me. But yiauwsaaa! they look good in real life.

The other set was for sale at around 1000 usd. And had DG300S shafts that are too heavy for my liking.

None of the dealers in this country has Miuras in stock so you can't really get to try them out before bying. Dealers only order them at Miura.
[/quote]
No need for apology when I just saw the foreign link and thought it was "close enough" to you. To quote Greenday: "I don't wanna be an American idiot", so thanks for the correction.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1421934041' post='10796571']
First post guys......

I think that despite claims, most people that want blades want forged since people want blades for feel, and even if forged feels only a little better, blades are easy enough to stamp and not worth trying to market something different to a minority that is feel oriented. I think manufactures have it right to not waste money making more offerings that will be shunned by most of that small market to a tiny segment.

Deninny, you have posted in the past about understanding there is molecular science behind forging, so not sure why you are now clammering for a cast blade?

My TMs feel fine, they are cast. The best feeling clubs I have hit are forged, not saying that is the only reason, but it is always part of the equation, mizuno whole heartedly is all in with this philosophy. They have smarter people than I, but japanese are also very biased to forged.
[/quote]
Bigmean I'm trying to explore where the feel cuts off for some people between distinguishing cast and forged. Is it just a little better or significantly? It's obviously enough for some people to care but I would think the lower cost to manufacture them may result in at least some demand for them. Like why couldn't they price them lower than forged steel blades and then maybe more people would buy them as an alternative? I can see your point if there is just a very low demand to make it not worth it to begin with, but again more demand may be attainable with a different price point.

Edit: NRJ said cast were the softest blades but that is not the best feeling blade to me since soft is a part of feel but not the same for me. You state cast is "fine" for feel but forged is clearly the best still. I like reading the different personal perspectives.

I'm NOT looking to argue or debate this. I'm trying to gain some perspective. I WANT to hear from the guy that states cast blades are by far the best feeling for reasons XYZ just to understand the issue better. Their points may convince me to try some cast blades.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1421935192' post='10796649']
First post guys......

[/quote]
Bigmean I'm trying to explore where the feel cuts off for some people between distinguishing cast and forged. Is it just a little better or significantly? It's obviously enough for some people to care but I would think the lower cost to manufacture them may result in at least some demand for them. Like why couldn't they price them lower than forged steel blades and then maybe more people would buy them as an alternative? I can see your point if there is just a very low demand to make it not worth it to begin with, but again more demand may be attainable with a different price point.

Edit: NRJ said cast were the softest blades but that is not the best feeling blade to me since soft is a part of feel but not the same for me. You state cast is "fine" for feel but forged is clearly the best still. I like reading the different personal perspectives.

I'm NOT looking to argue or debate this. I'm trying to gain some perspective.
[/quote]

Well, I said the 99 Aussie Blades were softest. They just happen to be cast.

All else equal, I would expect a club cast from 17-4 stainless to feel firmer than one cast from carbon steel.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1421936493' post='10796801']
First post guys......

[/quote]

[/quote]

All else equal, I would expect a club cast from 17-4 stainless to feel firmer than one cast from carbon steel.
[/quote]
LOL what would be the preference if the aussie blade was forged and all else were equal?

Registered Bladeocrat

I'll expand a bit on that last post

IMHO the biggest reason people think forged is softer is that cast and forged clubs are usually constructed from completely different materials. You're not likely to see a forged club made from 17-4 or even 431 stainless because it's a firmer steel; the manufacturing process would cause more wear on the dies, causing a need for earlier replacement of those dies. That gets expensive. :)

They're also generally made in completely different clubhead designs. Another variable.

I've heard people also say the casting process is more difficult with the softer [s]stainless[/s] carbon steel blends. Personally, and this is purely half-baked opinion without experience, I wonder if that's another of the urban myths that comes about from a misunderstanding of an explanation. Or maybe borne of marketing. ;) I own cast blades from a softer carbon steel, so they can be made; the cost was not close to that of a forged clubhead, though it was more expensive than a cast 431 stainless clubhead.

We could also take cues from the driver world. Most driver heads are forged titanium, it's said the casting process for making titanium drivers has more problems, or is more expensive, or both of those, compared to forging those pieces. Tom Wishon has talked about this on WRX, IIRC, one could probably search up his comments. :)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1421936984' post='10796843']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1421936493' post='10796801']
First post guys......

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
LOL what would be the preference if the aussie blade was forged and all else were equal?
[/quote]

Honestly, I wouldn't have an opinion unless I got to hit the club in question. :)

Most of the Australian Blades were forged, it's only the MCT97 and 1999 Aussies that were cast. The 97s were a Maltby design, the 99s were the last edition of Aussie Blades. A few years later, Maxfli was bought by TaylorMade and the rest is history.

The TM-92 model of Aussies are/were extremely popular, and reputed to be very soft. There was another model around that time, DP-30, that were also highly thought of. A LOT of discussion about both of those in the early days of the golf forums.

the only true test would be if identical head designs made from identical materials were made, one forged, one cast, and then blind presented for testing. i have vague recollections of ping actually taking the time to do this (via a tom wishon wrx post, but a brief search turns up squadoosh).

my memory is pretty hazy, so don't quote me on this as i may be incorrect. the results of the test were that no one - save a couple pros - could correctly identify if a club was cast or forged based soley on the 'feel' of the strike.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Thanks NRJ. Too many variables at play on this one.

I'm waiting to hear from the guy that clearly wants cast blades over forged because without a doubt, to him, the cast steel is the outright best feeling (and not necessarily the softest). I know it is subjective in the end but would love to hear his reasoning.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1421938015' post='10796923']
the only true test would be if identical head designs made from identical materials were made, one forged, one cast, and then blind presented for testing. i have vague recollections of ping actually taking the time to do this (via a tom wishon wrx post, but a brief search turns up squadoosh).

my memory is pretty hazy, so don't quote me on this as i may be incorrect. the results of the test were that no one - save a couple pros - could correctly identify if a club was cast or forged based soley on the 'feel' of the strike.
[/quote]

This was the famous Ray Floyd test. Floyd was CERTAIN there was a huge difference between cast and forged, and that he could tell the difference. They gave him two identical clubs, one cast, the other forged. Not only could he not tell the difference, he frequently picked the cast club as the softer feeling one. LOL

[/quote]
I agree and have seen the Ray Floyd article on it. I had an issue in that it wasn't clear that all the other variables besides the clubhead were exactly identical. That's why I want someone's personal perspective.

Lots of important details are left out of those tests and studies.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1421938803' post='10796997']

[/quote]

This was the famous Ray Floyd test. Floyd was CERTAIN there was a huge difference between cast and forged, and that he could tell the difference. They gave him two identical clubs, one cast, the other forged. Not only could he not tell the difference, he frequently picked the cast club as the softer feeling one. LOL
[/quote]
The clubheads were identical but that is all I was able to ascertain from it. I wish there were more studies with more details. Some people are a lot more sensitive to feel than others. (Like pain thresholds). The studies need a larger sample pool.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1421859711' post='10791007']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1421817992' post='10788537']
.... do you really play a full set of MBs from 3-PW? Do you mix with friendly irons? Maybe have hybrids at the top of the bag instead?
[/quote]

it's a good question. i go 4-PW all mp 69 blades, then a cavity back gap wedge (don't ask), then an mp 4 wedge, then a scratch 58. i can't hit the scratch with anything resembling a full shot, but it is so choice out of bunkers and mini floppers around the green. the cavity back gap wedge is a carry over from a misplaced order... and all i do is make birdies with it.

at the top of the bag, it's an old cobra dws hybrid, a tee xcg4 fairway wood, and the big stick. the hybrid is 9 years old, has the 'wrong' shaft for me and has a peeling grip, but it's magic. the xcg is the only fairway i've ever been able to hit consistently. driver is a revolving door, but i seem to have settled into the 913.

my bag aside, it's usually just what works for each individual. i've played cbs in the long irons before with very similar results (except from the rough - much better performance for me with the thin soled blades).

i happen to think that the most important factor to hitting your golf clubs consistently is [u]not[/u] the design of the club - it's the shaft. the clubhead is all about personal preference. just my thoughts tho.
[/quote]

This is hilarious, I thought I was the only person with this set up. I got 4-pw with blades (currently wilson staff your blades, previously mp67) then I have an cb1 forged cavity back GW (the only GW I could find where I liked the entire set up including bounce, sole, grind, offset etc for what i like to do with the club). I then have a 56* cleveland 588 blade wedge, and a 60* mizuno mpr12 wedge. My wedges I am really particular on and actually use the PW from the mp67 set with my wilson staffs because I like the PW shape and everything else better...

Just call me Dr. Frankenstein :)

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1421939143' post='10797023']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1421938803' post='10796997']

[/quote]

[/quote]
The clubheads were identical but that is all I was able to ascertain from it. I wish there were more studies with more details. [color=#ff0000][b]Some people are a lot more sensitive to feel than others.[/b][/color] (Like pain thresholds). The studies need a larger sample pool.
[/quote]

A dozen years ago, I found I was able to tell the difference in two swingweight points pretty easily. One point was very hit or miss.

In recent years, I have tested myself again, and found I could not tell the difference in two swingweight points for the most part, only occasionally, and with no consistency.

I guess I'm not in my thirties anymore :)

[/quote]

Yes. I read a similar article

[/quote]

Yes. I read a similar article once but even the pros were unable to tell a difference. I used to be a pro forged guy then I hit a few casts that felt better than my ap2s.

These were probably the pinnacle of cast clubs, almost to soft. I dinged the 8 iron with a rock that would never do the damage to any forged iron I've had.

Blades up to the 8 iron, kind of a mb half cavity in the 7 and cavity back 6-2 iron.

There small, and have this beautiful thin top line.

Plus there a pure joy to play, and a softness like know other.

I would bet with a nickel alloy, they cost more then most to construct.

61AC7D90-93AE-462E-8B88-7288349C002E-2153-000002BEEC13BE93_zps0a755a5f.jpg

B102EA88-94BD-4D9A-A3CF-AA066C3CBF7F-123-00000017B9FE56F2_zps3fb660ff.jpg

Cobra ZL Encore 8.5 Matrix 6Q3
TEE CB4 tour 15 RIP 70 Sigma
Titleist 909h 19 Voodoo
Mizuno Mp-53 4-pw DG progressive shafts
Odyssey Black ProType 10 Sm 4.5 TP ball
Mizuno raw haze 50, 56 Scratch 60