Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

No. But I almost paid what I thought was a lot of money for the Sakura CB heads one time on eBay and later realized that they $600 less than new. Actually the Sakura CBs are probably one of the more stunning CB sets I have seen and I have heard only good about george spirits.

I would love a real life non biased opinion on them. My guess is really nice, but not worth the money new.

The only blades I have and have owned are the ones I currently game (Titleist 712 MB) I like them alot and they are only 5 month old brand new even tho the 714's came out I liked the look of the 712's more, because I live in the Uk the weather in the winter is really really cold so I don't play my much, but other wise I love these sticks

so this one time at band camp...... I cant seem to get the New Hogan iron out of my head.... Very good chance these will be my 1st new iron purchase in years...Anyone know which retailers will be carrying these? I hate to buy anything sight unseen...but just may have to since I doubt anyone near me (golfsmith an hour away) will carry them...

Srixon z745 9* rogue 60 125 TX 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I haven't seen anything relating to dealers, myself...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 9.5*, 43.5", NV75X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80X, 43.25"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I still can't figure out if I like those or not.....I am leaning toward like, but I need to see them. I hit a score wedge in a net and did not like it, but that means very little....

I just got back from golf hell. Birdie the first hole. I am on fire off the tee, 1 over on the front then BAM. The entire back nine is literally 2 foursomes per hole. And not just foursomes, like the kind that are in front of you with their ball getter acting like they are immortal and time doesn't exist....I made it through 14 and just scampered back to the clubhouse with not one hole I could jump in on between there and 18. Sucked because I had a legit round going, putted terrible as far as not dropping birdies, but fairways and greens galore. I like to play fast, but can still hold a round together with good people to pass time at moderate pace, but I can't even get the desire to play 9 in 2 1/2 hours to even care to try.

BH, I gamed that titleist wedge, and it is back in the bag for a little I think. That thing is like a broken in pair of shoes.

I'm patiently waiting for my j15 MB to come in. It's been the longest month and a half of my life.

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex, Adams Idea Pro 23 X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Tour Issue DG X100 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1422710325' post='10855459']
so this one time at band camp...... I cant seem to get the New Hogan iron out of my head.... Very good chance these will be my 1st new iron purchase in years...Anyone know which retailers will be carrying these? I hate to buy anything sight unseen...but just may have to since I doubt anyone near me (golfsmith an hour away) will carry them...
[/quote]
I'm on the fence about these but they are intriguing and classy looking without too much complication. I will be trying them out if given a chance.

Also Bigmean or anybody, what kind of budget should one have for a PW-3i set of new Miuras?

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I honestly don't know...that's a bridge I haven't crossed....never held a miura in hand.. mostly because im afraid..very afraid I would start to itch...you know the itch... the one that causes you to do things you have to hide from the wife...lol Bm can probably answer better.. I have come close on a few used sets..but im usually too late...

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

LOL bladehunter I haven't bought irons in 8 years now. I'm itching like Tyrone Biggums.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1422745644' post='10858523']
I still can't figure out if I like those or not.....I am leaning toward like, but I need to see them. I hit a score wedge in a net and did not like it, but that means very little....

I just got back from golf hell. Birdie the first hole. I am on fire off the tee, 1 over on the front then BAM. The entire back nine is literally 2 foursomes per hole. And not just foursomes, like the kind that are in front of you with their ball getter acting like they are immortal and time doesn't exist....I made it through 14 and just scampered back to the clubhouse with not one hole I could jump in on between there and 18. Sucked because I had a legit round going, putted terrible as far as not dropping birdies, but fairways and greens galore. I like to play fast, but can still hold a round together with good people to pass time at moderate pace, but I can't even get the desire to play 9 in 2 1/2 hours to even care to try.

BH, I gamed that titleist wedge, and it is back in the bag for a little I think. That thing is like a broken in pair of shoes.
[/quote]

oh I know that round all to well.... 2 Saturdays ago I made the turn 2 under....first 9 in 1 hour 34 minutes... back nine 2 hours 54 minutes... seems the fill in guy in the proshop was letting afternoon groups playing 9 go off the back... I waited 20 minutes to tee off #10.. I was so pissed by #12 I couldn't roll a putt to save my life... ended up 4 over for the round...so dropped 6 on the back... why...because my blood was boiling... and like you I was directly behind a group who actually pulled multiple ball retrievers at each pond and searched for balls.... while I waited!!!!! as if we all had nowhere to be.... I mean we almost did not finish before dark... and we started the back 9 at 2.30.... mean I get 9 in after work some days and start at 4 for goodness sakes... aahhhhh im mad all over.... .

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Dude it was so bad. I have to look at my card in the bag but I keep track of greens FWs and putts, and I feel like I missed 1 fairway in 14 and it was by 3 yards and safe. This is the by far the worst part of my game. I have not drove driver and 3 wood so good since like high school, and I hit greens, my putting which is my best part just couldn't get birdies to fall, but I felt birdie on every tee box. That wait time just ruined me, I could not deal with it and made the choice to just screw the round. Literally, ball retrievers. And I played through a couple people but eventually there was no where to go. Like mental game kryptonite....

As for Miuras, I have no idea. I stalked the clubs I have. For what I got, small blades 4-pw nippon shafts $1050 in basically 7 rounds played condition, I did very, very well....so that is how expensive those things are. I read enough on the tournament blade to make it seem not as worth it, but the mb001 seems very nice for a larger size. That was my threshold of reality, well worth it, I love my irons and despite what people say, they ARE different. However, I am a less better job away from enjoying used mp4 s almost as much, that is a fact. The fact that is lost when people chime in about expensive clubs not effecting play or score (very true) is that they really DO feel different. There is no doubt I could send blade hunter my 7 and he would agree. I am not going to say better, but distinguishable. To me that distinguished feeling is very much so better, but he may or may not agree as this now becomes subjective, but there is no denying it is different and most people would probably enjoy it. So at the end of the day, you are spending a lot of money on a feel that is subjective and a pretty sweet grind. So just buy used so you can sell at little loss if you don't think they are worth it. If you think they are worth it, they will be hard to beat.

There is no "new" sets for me, I bag what I know is as good as I can expect. So I hunt cooler older blades for fun. I can't imagine hitting a new blade and thinking "wow, this is better than my Miuras", it is very improbable, I know it before I try it, then hit it and it is only confirmed. That is what miura bring to the table if you like them.

Blades are back in the bag. I spent the last 16 months with AP2s and as great as they are, they lacked the soul/feel of the MP69s and MP4s I played for two years prior. My handicap stayed the same. The AP2s are definitely more forgiving, but the courses I play don't overly penalize short shots. I bought a used set of MP33s about 6 month ago to feed my blade habit when I saw fit. Now is the time. We'll see how it goes!

G430 LST 9
G410 14.5
G410 19, 22
245, 5-gw
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
LAB Mezz Max

buzlin my 7 index buddy of 5 golf years played AP2s for a season and ditched them for old school 710s. He said the same thing about the AP2s in terms of feel and he did not like their control.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1422739348' post='10857987']
anyone know if scor wedges were sold through retailers..or direct only? Im guessing the hogans will be sold the same route....?
[/quote]

Scor wedges are sold at the local PGA Superstore here in SoCal, but I haven't seen the Hogan's yet. I am doubting they will even have them here as they just don't sell many blades/MB's and won't even carry the Z945's. Needless to say, this makes me sad as I love new blades... and they do carry the full Fourteen line.

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1422752118' post='10859103']
[/quote]
I'm on the fence about these but they are intriguing and classy looking without too much complication. I will be trying them out if given a chance.

Also Bigmean or anybody, what kind of budget should one have for a PW-3i set of new Miuras?
[/quote]

To build a set of Miuras my local club fitter in the UK charges £175/club (about $260/club) depending on shaft specs, etc.

As a comparison, the Macs currently in my bag (3-PW) cost £100 + my old Nike Split Cavs...Macs hadn't been hit!!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

[quote name='mahonie' timestamp='1422781686' post='10860905']
[/quote]

[/quote]

To build a set of Miuras my local club fitter in the UK charges £175/club (about $260/club) depending on shaft specs, etc.

As a comparison, the Macs currently in my bag (3-PW) cost £100 + my old Nike Split Cavs...Macs hadn't been hit!!
[/quote]
Thanks. Ouch that is in the don't want to spend that much zone. I set an arbitrary cap at $2K. I will still demo them before I buy any set.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1422794136' post='10861129']
[quote name='mahonie' timestamp='1422781686' post='10860905']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks. Ouch that is in the don't want to spend that much zone. I set an arbitrary cap at $2K. I will still demo them before I buy any set.
[/quote]

Ouch indeed...well out of my range. I was surprised when the clubfitter told me that Miura club heads are not a single forged piece, the hosels are welded on separately. Even so you can feel the quality in the engineering and workmanship. I got to handle a pitching wedge head and compare it with a similar Vega head. Both were stunning...and I am sure just looking down on those heads at address will fill anyone with confidence.

Radius Classic 8

I agree... I would snipe for a mint used set... ive seen several at $1500 and less over the last year or two..you have to be sitting on go when you see them though....they are never for sale long.. Deninny if you don't know the seller "proclubs" on ebay put them into your watch list.... They have connections with caddies tour pros etc and sell second hand tour issue clubs and occasionally a set of miura irons will pop up..They are very reputable, have excellent pictures and excellent rating systems... Also have a 1800 number so you can speak directly to an actual person... always genuine stuff and always a better prices than anywhere else youll find tour issue..I have bought from them several times... With Muira anywhere the good thing is most times a used set will look mint as guys take extra care of them because of the price....

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1422799078' post='10861375']
The hosels are spun welded. They argue it is better, it seams cheaper, who knows. I would like to be skeptical but you can't argue with results.

Deninny, is used out of the question? I ended up at $150 per club in very like new condition. That is a big difference from $265.
[/quote]

The engineering behind the spin forging process makes a great deal of sense although I don't think it is a cheaper process.

Adam Barr, President of Miura Golf:

'Miura-san determined some time ago that forging the entire L-shaped clubhead at once, including the hosel, risks yanking the grain upward into that part of the head. So, instead, he developed a way to forge the heel-to-toe portion alone, ensuring a small, fine, uniform grain structure, free of the little bubbles or voids that could create a "clanky" feel at impact. Then the hosel is attached by a process we call spin-forging: It's spun onto the head at a very high speed, and the friction creates a weld. We finish off the weld scarf, chrome the club, and it operates as if it were always one piece. We don't know of anyone else in the industry that does this. It takes time and patience, but that's the Japanese way.'

Video shows the process about 3 minutes in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VT3Oij3xxpc

Radius Classic 8

Thanks Bigmean and bladehunter. I have a big concern about buying fakes, especially for a set of Miuras, and so used is a concern but not out of the question (I've bought Mizunos and other clubs on ebay before) if the seller is highly reputable. I will check out proclubs for sure.

This is how I feel by not spending this extra cash I have on a set of blades right now. I've been playing my CBs too, so I need a blade fix:

[attachment=2597313:TB.jpg]

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1422801715' post='10861571']
Thanks Bigmean and bladehunter. I have a big concern about buying fakes, especially for a set of Miuras, and so used is a concern but not out of the question (I've bought Mizunos and other clubs on ebay before) if the seller is highly reputable. I will check out proclubs for sure.

This is how I feel by not spending this extra cash I have on a set of blades right now. I've been playing my CBs too, so I need a blade fix:

[attachment=2597313:TB.jpg]
[/quote]

"Red balls itll give ya wangs!!!!" dave Chapelle is the man with the plan... I crack up everytime I see him... The episodes with Rick James are priceless...literally...Him and Charlie Murphy (eddie Murphys brother) talking about the old "superfreak" days are the funniest things I have ever seen,,,, if anyone hasn't seen those do yourself a favor and find them... Youll thank me after!

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1422802527' post='10861631']
"Red balls itll give ya wangs!!!!" dave Chapelle is the man with the plan... I crack up everytime I see him... The episodes with Rick James are priceless...literally...Him and Charlie Murphy (eddie Murphys brother) talking about the old "superfreak" days are the funniest things I have ever seen,,,, if anyone hasn't seen those do yourself a favor and find them... Youll thank me after!
[/quote]

bladehunter, "Are cavity backs bad?" (<- like Tyrone Biggums asking, "Is anthrax bad?")

:cheesy:

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1422135656' post='10811141']
Sounds promising. I don't have to have tiny. But am currently falling in love with cally razr mb. Which. Is a tad smaller than my mp68.
[/quote]That's why I fell in love(WTF, it's a piece of metal on the end of a stick ;) ) with the Staff 59s, ie., their compactness.

If I could have one thing "done" to the 68s, it would be to "shrink" them to the 59s or the Mizzy 30 series irons, though I understand that that was the evolutionary process with the 60 series.

I've never really seen a lot of Cally irons, however those Razr MBs are sweet lookin!

What are the differences between them and your 68s, both positive and negative?

Have a great day Bro!

All the Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='mahonie' timestamp='1422801525' post='10861551']
[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1422799078' post='10861375']
The hosels are spun welded. They argue it is better, it seams cheaper, who knows. I would like to be skeptical but you can't argue with results.

Deninny, is used out of the question? I ended up at $150 per club in very like new condition. That is a big difference from $265.
[/quote]

The engineering behind the spin forging process makes a great deal of sense although I don't think it is a cheaper process.

Adam Barr, President of Miura Golf:

'Miura-san determined some time ago that forging the entire L-shaped clubhead at once, including the hosel, risks yanking the grain upward into that part of the head. So, instead, he developed a way to forge the heel-to-toe portion alone, ensuring a small, fine, uniform grain structure, free of the little bubbles or voids that could create a "clanky" feel at impact. Then the hosel is attached by a process we call spin-forging: It's spun onto the head at a very high speed, and the friction creates a weld. We finish off the weld scarf, chrome the club, and it operates as if it were always one piece. We don't know of anyone else in the industry that does this. It takes time and patience, but that's the Japanese way.'

Video shows the process about 3 minutes in:

[url="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VT3Oij3xxpc"]https://m.youtube.co...h?v=VT3Oij3xxpc[/url]
[/quote]

I love the video! I am not a metallurgist but I believe that spin weld process will add strength at the point of most torque on the clubhead from impact. I doubt it will matter but in theory every strike will fatigue the metal.

Registered Bladeocrat

I threw out the "cheaper" because that has been a knock I have seen here.

I am not in metal, but I know enough to know the cost of that machine and process is likely more expensive.

When I got my Miuras, I was high bidder at $1050, but reserve not met. I emailed him I would go $1150 and he pit up the buy now for that right after and told me when he did. His original reserve was $1350. I can tell you from some of the marks on my 7 he got them for whatever reason and was likely miserable with them, so I got lucky. If you stalk it right, you can get them under $1300.

I agree on compactness. The small blades don't look to me much smaller than my mp14s, and when playing they do not look small, they look right.

And then, he served pancakes....game b&tches.....