Mizuno JPX 900 forged vs Callaway Apex CF16

Ripken08

Can't wait for the reviews on these head to head. JPX 900F are basically the Japanese version of the Apex sans the cup face...identical lofts, same concept with thinner faces etc. JPX are a one piece forging though.

One review is out comparing them:

And vs the MP25....the JPX topline is actually thinner than the MP25 :)

I'm assuming the JPX are longer heel to toe? If the head size was the same as the Apex with a thinner topline, that would make it very appealing!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the apex cf16 and have the jpx900 forged on the way hopefully soon. Will let you know what I think when I get them.

Same here, I own the CF 16's and have the JPX 900 Forged and Srixon 565's on the way. One will be the "Stay at the club" set, the other the "Away" set and the loser will be sold or relegated to practice squad.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

• 2 weeks later...

Any recent updates from those that have hit both. Thanks

Titleist TSR2, 10 degrees, GD Tour AD DI 5
Titleist TSR2 16.5(@15.75) degrees,  Fuji Speeder Evo I 661
Titleist TSR2  18 (@17.25)  degrees,  Fuji Speeder Evo I 661
Mizuno CLK 19 degrees,   Mitsu Tensei CK Pro Blue Hybrid Shaft
Mizuno STZ 230 22 degrees, Mitsu Tensei CK Pro Blue Hybrid Shaft
Mizuno STZ 230  25 degrees, Mitsu Tensei Blue Hybrid Shaft
Mizuno Pro 225,  DG 95

Vokey SM9 50/8F, SM9 56/10S
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Tour B RX

I have the older apex irons and I hit the jpx 900 last night. I will say that the 900's are a lot nicer. Really like the 900's.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

Did you get a ship date on your jpx?

I picked mine up this morning in Australia. But I think I was o e of the first orders.

I even got mine before the pro who fitted me who is still waiting on his Tours.

Just wondering whether you bought this in Oz or whether you went international? Am looking to get a set. Am based in NSW so wondering what these might retail at?

I have the apex cf16 and have the jpx900 forged on the way hopefully soon. Will let you know what I think when I get them.

Same here, I own the CF 16's and have the JPX 900 Forged and Srixon 565's on the way. One will be the "Stay at the club" set, the other the "Away" set and the loser will be sold or relegated to practice squad.

How did it turn out?

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

I very interested to hear your results. I'm looking at a combo 565/765 or the 900 forged.

same thread a few days ago: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1390726-callaway-cf16s-or-mizuno-jpx-900-forged/

My comments from that thread:

I had been playing MP5/mp25 combo and wanted to upgrade for this year. I really wanted to like the 900 Forged, but found the apex pro / cf16 combo set to be the better iron. The 900 forged is actually bigger than the cf16 in both blade size and topline width. This was very surprising to me. The 900 forged feels good, but not MP good. To me, the cf16 feels solid like a hammer wrapped in a layer of rubber. After much deliberation, I chose the CF16 combo set. I will say that I do prefer the 900 Forged in regards to not being able to see the back of the club at address. No biggie, I used to play mp H5 and it has the same thing going on as the cf16.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

I got a chance to hit the MP25 and 900F in the demo 6 irons. I think I was hoping for more out of the 900F. They are good but not great feeling. They are not MP soft for sure.

The 900F are longer but I was outside so I don't have exact numbers to compare.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

I had a different experience. Hit the CF16 with the intent to buy them and compared them to 900F. Liked the CF16 but loved the 900F. Felt great and solid numbers. Now I'm leaning (heavily) towards getting the 900Fs.

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

• 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting on my 5-GW set to arrive after having ordered through my local shop last week. I've had a demo 6 iron out on the course several times and these feel so much better than the Apex CF16 (my gamers this summer). I made the switch to KBS C-Taper Lite shafts from XP 95 and perhaps that is where the better feel is coming from. For me head-to-head against the CF 16, it's no contest. JPX 900F win on feel, dispersion, distance and accuracy.

I had time to compare the JPX-900 Forged, Srixon 565 and CF-16's. The CF-16's are staying in the home club bag, the other clubs are great clubs but the extra distance and forgiveness of the CF-16's make them the best choice for me for my home bag.

The Mizuno JPX 900 Forged and Srixon 565 are still in battle for away bag honors. Having played the 850 Forged for a year the 900 Forged feel familiar but the Srixon's are a great iron too, though I'm not sure if the V-sole is something I like or not. I want to play them in different course conditions to see if I notice a difference.

What's definite is all three of these sets are better than the Titleist 716 AP2's for my swing, so they are getting sold. I'm playing Myrtle Beach at end of month and still debating whether I take the 565's or 900 Forged.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

I narrowed down my choices between 900F and the CF-16...went with the 900F because they felt better to me, but that being said i found the stock LZ shaft to be a fair amount heavier and stiffer to flex than the stock XP 95 in the CF-16 (115 grams vs. 93 grams), so to compare apples to apples I tested the 900F with lighter shafts and ordered them with the Modus 105. With similarly weighted shafts the 900F felt better to me, I also thought the head size of the CF-16 were a touch on the small size and preferred the shape of the 900F at address. at the end you can't go wrong with either set...throw the PSI in there as well, they're all good sticks.

Ping G410 Plus 10.5

Ping G410 5 Wood 

Ping G430 22* Hybrid 

Srixon ZX5 4-AW
Titleist SM10 Raw 54*, 58*

Evnroll ER1.2 Tour Blade

Chrome Soft X Trutrack '24

Vessel Lite Lux

I spent a LOT of time comparing these two irons, many range buckets with each. For me it was a no-brainer- the 900 Forged were better in every regard, especially looks and feel. Solid hits flew the same distance, and they were nearly the same in terms of forgiveness. But from the 4-iron to the PW, the 900's were the clear winner. I really disliked how I could see a lot of the back of the club in the CF16's, even in the 5-iron.

What I really don't understand are the folks saying the 900's aren't soft enough. How soft do irons need to be? They aren't pillows. I know feel is very subjective, but to me the 900's felt just as good as anything on solid strikes. I've played many different MP models, Miura's, and most recently the Srixon z745, and they feel every bit as good, if not better.

Hello. Any feed back on these 3 sets? Thank you

I'm not a fan of the thick top line of the 900 forged they have a low trajectory as well due to real strong loft but they do go far

In my experience during demo, trajectory varied greatly depending on the shaft. With the PX LZ, I had a low trajactory as some have described. When I swapped over to the KBS C-Taper Lite, the trajectory was much higher and exactly what I was looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

I have played the mp25's since the spring with nippon 1150 hard stepped. Tried the 900 forged today with 6.0 lz. Wasn't even close. 15-20 yards further, more accurate. I am a +1 and was actually fit for a 15/5 combo but just didn't think I could handle them. I have tried the cf16. Ball jumps off the face but I didn't feel like I could hit different shots with them. Ordering the 900 forged tomorrow.

Titleist tsi3 driver Evenflow White 6.0

Titleist ts3 3 wood

Srixon hybrid

Titleist t100s irons with $ taper shafts

Vokey sm8 50-54-58

Evnroll 1.2 putter

Pro V1

I hit the 900 forged and the Apex CF16. I was impressed with both sets of irons. Both are solid performers. Feel is slightly better with the 900 forged. I ended up getting the Apex Pro as it had the feel of the 900 forged, with the performance of the CF16, minus the extra distance from jacked up lofts. You really can't go wrong with either. Just make sure you get a shaft that matches your swing.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I have played the mp25's since the spring with nippon 1150 hard stepped. Tried the 900 forged today with 6.0 lz. Wasn't even close. 15-20 yards further, more accurate. I am a +1 and was actually fit for a 15/5 combo but just didn't think I could handle them. I have tried the cf16. Ball jumps off the face but I didn't feel like I could hit different shots with them. Ordering the 900 forged tomorrow.

Pardon this brief thread drift, but I'm always surprised when I read statements like this from VERY good golfers. I'm nowhere near a +1 and I personally don't know any scratch golfers, so I have to ask what it is about about your game (or golf in general) that would "move" a golfer as accomplished as yourself to choose a much more forgiving club(900 Forged) over a much more precise (and better feeling) club (i.e. MP-5/MP-15)?

I know there's the adage out there that you should play the most forgiving clubs you can stand to look at, but there's been plenty of arguments against that approach on this site.

Once again, apologies for the thread drift, but I just have to know. :)

I have had the Apex CF16 for a while now and recently demoed the JPX 900. Found the JPX 900 to have a lower trajectory and less spin. They didn't have the Recoil Proto shaft in the JPX fitting cart so it wasn't exactly apples to apples. I'll be keeping my CF16s. Dispersion was tighter and less roll out.

TM M3 440 - Tensei CK Blue 60S
Titleist TS2 3W - Tensei AV Blue 55R
Titleist 818H1 21, 25 - IRoD 95 
Callaway X Forged 18 - Recoil Proto 110 
Mizuno S18 - Recoil Proto 125
Evnroll ER2

I hit the 900 forged and the Apex CF16. I was impressed with both sets of irons. Both are solid performers. Feel is slightly better with the 900 forged. I ended up getting the Apex Pro as it had the feel of the 900 forged, with the performance of the CF16, minus the extra distance from jacked up lofts. You really can't go wrong with either. Just make sure you get a shaft that matches your swing.

Same. Exact same. Was going to go with the CF16 set but I don't need the jacked lofts. I was hitting the 7 iron 190....why? That's 220 4 iron if gapping is consistent. The Forged were nice but something was off. The Apex pro gave me good distance, same feel as the 900F, and no jacked lofts.

If you're looking for forgiveness and distance, CF16 is for you, 100%. Tell me if I'm wrong but if you're comparing these shouldn't you try out the 900 Hot Metal also? That would seem to be more in the lines of forgiveness as the CF16.

• 1 year later...

I see they never answered and it’s old, but I can try. I went the same route, and was on the + side at one point. Drifted into mp32s at the time, but every now and then, I’d miss the center and you lose A LOT of distance when that happens. So instead of that miss being on the front of the green with a long put, you’d be in a bunker or worse trying to get up and down. It doesn’t take long to realize the workability you’re gaining with the blades comes with the penalty of losing a lot of results when you mis-strike the ball. When you play to score, it’s not always obvious which combination is actually more beneficial. Yes, it’s nice to be able to control flight and shape, but it’s also nice to be on the green if you misshit Sometimes. I ended up moving back to a more forgiving Club as well (the xtours at that point), I just felt the benefits when I missed outweighed the workability. It’s not that someone who’s good “can’t play” those clubs, it’s that they see the benefits of doing so outweighed by the negatives.