Bring back the Scotty Cameron Laguna!

EVandyEVandy Members Posts: 378 ✭✭
Been missing this head shape in the lineup for years! Fingers crossed it eventually makes a return
Titleist 917 D3 8.5*
Titleist 915 F 16.5*
Titleist 818 H2 19*
Titleist 718 CB 4-P
Vokey SM6 Raw 52*, 56*, 60*
TP Mills Handmade Softtail

Comments

• VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,222 ✭✭
    Doubt it. His focus seems to be on mallet putters lately, those with high MOI. The only blades left are those that sell the best, the Newport and Newport 2. The Laguna shape was never wildly popular so I'm not sure we'll ever see it again.
  • SocratesSocrates How can it be so *&#% hard to make a shoulder turn? WinnipegClubWRX Posts: 9,375 ClubWRX
    Lots on ebay and VNutz is right, that wasn't a popular style.
    Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"
    Cobra F8 5-6 Fwy at 18.5° Stiff
    Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
    X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
    Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
    Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.5"
    MCC Align Midsize
    Moving to the bench:
    Jazz Bear Cat 3 wd Aerotech Stiff
    Scotty X7M Dual 38"
    Ping Forged 52°

• cooperk25cooperk25 Members Posts: 109 ✭✭
    I liked the Laguna shape but not Scotty's because all I saw looking down was "Scotty Cameron" on the back of the putter.
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob ClubWRX Posts: 994 ClubWRX
    VNutz wrote:

Doubt it. His focus seems to be on mallet putters lately, those with high MOI. The only blades left are those that sell the best, the Newport and Newport 2. The Laguna shape was never wildly popular so I'm not sure we'll ever see it again.

This exactly.

Rob
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,145 ✭✭
    Napa and Laguna!
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    3 wood = Ping G410 Tour S
    Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • longballjslongballjs New JerseyMembers Posts: 1,508 ✭✭
    Wouldn't mind if they came back so long as the huge Scotty Cameron wasn't tattooed across the back
    Titleist ProV1 Experience 7/12/17-7/13/17

TaylorMade M5 with speeder 667 xstiff
    Titleist 915 Fd 15 with diamana d+80 xstiff
    Titleist 909h 19* with voodoo stiff
    Titleist ap2 716 4-gw with Amt x100
    Vokey sm6 54, 58 with Amt x100
    Odyssey 2ball blade dfx
  • gprubesgprubes twit: @shaeggy Members Posts: 815 ✭✭
    Bring back the Brad Faxon model!!
    • Taylormade M3 440 9° - Fuji Motore Tour Spec VC 6.2 S
    • Ping G400 14.5° - Alta CB 75 S
    • Taylormade P790 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 120 S
    • Honma TW737 18° - Vizard Type-Z 70 S 
    • Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S
    • Odyssey O-Works Black 1 Wide S w/Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,396 ✭✭
    VNutz wrote:

Well all I can say is that Ping did not do too bad with it as In the Zing or the plumbers neck version called the My Day or the Brad Faxon version called the Fax day
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,952 ✭✭
    Nobody bought them when they were a part of the line up. Just find one on eBay and be happy it's under $200.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • ckayckay Members Posts: 3,952 ✭✭
    edited Jun 25, 2017 #11
    BIG STU wrote:

VNutz wrote:

Well all I can say is that Ping did not do too bad with it as In the Zing or the plumbers neck version called the My Day or the Brad Faxon version called the Fax day

You're going back to the days of it being between and Anser variant, Bulls Eye, 8802, or the Zing being the offerings.

That's like saying they sold a ton of black Model Ts...well yeah it's all that was available.
    Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
    Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
    Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
    Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
    Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
    Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link
  • KCCOKCCO Members Posts: 1,871 ✭✭
    There were lots of previous heads from circa, California lines that I really like and know many who still game (I go back and forth between 009 and Monterey)....but from mr.cameron himself he told me there is not enough of a market for those heads...I was kinda shocked as most people I know who play regularly game and older shape cameron head.

Best chance of getting one is from gallery, but paying the price.
    Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
    Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
    Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
    Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
    PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
    009 ProV1

• ws6ws6 Pacific Dunes Members Posts: 2,307 ✭✭
    I own and really like the Select 1.5 and 2 Laguna models. It would be nice if SC wasn't on the bumpers.

I also own a BB5 and an Epic Day, they are great too.
  • Pcola KenPcola Ken Members Posts: 143
    The Laguna is a very underrated model. I used a black ox Laguna Classic exclusively in the late 90's. It was a great feeling putter that I wish I still had. The last version of the Laguna didn't do anything for me because I did not care for the name on the bumpers either.
  • Rob McHughRob McHugh Rob ClubWRX Posts: 994 ClubWRX
    edited Jun 26, 2017 #15
    Here is one of my old beauties - thought you may like it. :-)

Rob

(Never know if you are competing with an ad on here until you post - please click on the images if you are interested)
  • croy0021croy0021 Members Posts: 289 ✭✭
    So....have you picked up the new Select Laguna yet? Trying to revive this topic and wanted to hear some opinions. I have a Brad Faxon and have been waiting patiently for the Laguna to return. I've rolled it but the local shop uses Callaway Supersoft balls for the putting green. This makes it feel VERY soft, but wanted to know if anyone games it and can give some feedback?
  • VNutzVNutz Members Posts: 6,222 ✭✭
    The new insert is soft, but the store balls are going to skew the feel even further. Your best off bringing a ball of your own and trying it out. I like the new Laguna from a playability perspective, but I don't care for the look and the lines. Laguna shapes of the past tended to flow pretty nicely, this new version is all angles and hard edges, so while it works just fine it's not nearly as nice to look down on as my oil can laguna.
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,671 ClubWRX
    BIG STU wrote:

VNutz wrote:

I definitely agree! This has been pretty much my favorite style of putter most of my playing days. I started with a TP Mills then went to a Wilson blade (not 8802) then started with Ping with a B60. I soon went to a Ping Zing. Putted with that for the most part of 4 or 5 years, experimenting with a lot of putters. Always went back. Then I got into Cameron putters (Newport, Santa Fe, Catalina, Coronado, Coronado II, plumbers necks, flow necks, slant necks, etc). I settled on a IBBF and gamed that for almost 5 years. I went back to TP Mills and then Byron Morgan. I have been gaming my current Byron Morgan Epic Day putter for 4 1/2 years now and there is no end in sight. There is something almost perfect for me with the Zing styled putters.
    Titleist 905T 9.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tour (3-PW) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips

BIG STU wrote:

VNutz wrote:

I definitely agree! This has been pretty much my favorite style of putter most of my playing days. I started with a TP Mills then went to a Wilson blade (not 8802) then started with Ping with a B60. I soon went to a Ping Zing. Putted with that for the most part of 4 or 5 years, experimenting with a lot of putters. Always went back. Then I got into Cameron putters (Newport, Santa Fe, Catalina, Coronado, Coronado II, plumbers necks, flow necks, slant necks, etc). I settled on a IBBF and gamed that for almost 5 years. I went back to TP Mills and then Byron Morgan. I have been gaming my current Byron Morgan Epic Day putter for 4 1/2 years now and there is no end in sight. There is something almost perfect for me with the Zing styled putters.
    That is really a nice putter--- Like the way he did the neck on it---- Kinda built a better mousetrap so to speak--- I am not into boutique putters that much but yours I could deal with and game
  • 57Seve57Seve Members Posts: 116 ✭✭
    Pcola Ken wrote:

The Laguna is a very underrated model. I used a black ox Laguna Classic exclusively in the late 90's. It was a great feeling putter that I wish I still had. The last version of the Laguna didn't do anything for me because I did not care for the name on the bumpers either.

I have the 1995 Black Laguna from Cameron. They'll bury me with it. Love the bloody thing.

Titleist 910 D2 7.5* (Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.1 S/44")
    Titleist 906 F2 18* 5W (TT DG S300)
    Mizuno MP4 Irons, 4-9 (TT DG S300)
    Titleist Vokey SM5 48* F Grind (TT DG Wedge Shaft)
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* M Grind (TT DG Wedge Shaft)
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 1995 Classic Laguna

• MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,494 ✭✭
    edited Jan 4, 2019 8:17pm #21
    Let's see in my collection-Ping Zing2 (in BeCu and BeNi), Odyssey protype #6 (in satin and black) Metal X Milled #6, Nike Method 002, and 1995 Laguna, pro platinum Laguna, CT Laguna w/ tungsten sole weights and welded Santa Fe neck- like that style just a bit😀, the 2018 model, not so much🙊
    Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evo TS 661 
    TEE cbx 16.5* Accra TourZ LT70 
    Taylormade paintbreak V steel 18* Purple Ice 85
    TEE CNC Ltd. Forged 3-pw s400
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron 1996 Laguna
  • Misc1600Misc1600 ClubWRX Posts: 923 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 5, 2019 10:01am #22
    I would love to see a Ping My Day (Laguna 2.5). The Brand Faxon vs a Laguna 2.5 are slightly different.
  • RobotDoctorRobotDoctor Senior Hacker ClubWRX Posts: 4,671 ClubWRX
    BIG STU wrote:

BIG STU wrote:

VNutz wrote:

That is really a nice putter--- Like the way he did the neck on it---- Kinda built a better mousetrap so to speak--- I am not into boutique putters that much but yours I could deal with and game

Stu, the neck allows for about a shaft offset and the toe hang is around 4:30-5. I am able to release the putter without any thought or manipulation. Just start the stroke and go. All I have to do is pick the right line and speed with this putter. Then again, there is just something about the Zing style head that has always resonated with me. For me, this is most likely the perfect putter design.
    Titleist 905T 9.5 degree Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S
    Titleist 906F2 15 degree Fujikura Pro 73 Tour Spec stiff
    Taylormade SLDR 2 Hybrid Graphite Design Tour  AD DI-Hybrid 85 stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tour (3-PW) Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 50* GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Scratch Golf 58* LW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120 stiff
    Byron Morgan Epic Day Long Pipe Copper plated
    BestGrips Augusta Microperf grips
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,258 ClubWRX
    I’ve got an oil can Laguna. I don’t care for the head shape at all, but it was my dad’s old putter so I’ll keep it forever.
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-pw
    Mizuno T7 50/55/60 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

BIG STU wrote:

BIG STU wrote:

VNutz wrote:

Stu, the neck allows for about a shaft offset and the toe hang is around 4:30-5. I am able to release the putter without any thought or manipulation. Just start the stroke and go. All I have to do is pick the right line and speed with this putter. Then again, there is just something about the Zing style head that has always resonated with me. For me, this is most likely the perfect putter design.
    It fits your eye good and more than likely balances out good for your stroke too--- That is what it is all about
  • MitchellMitchell Members Posts: 5,494 ✭✭
    edited Jan 14, 2019 8:14pm #26
    RobotDoctor,

Pains me that Byron no longer offers Epic Day shape, yet your putter is absolutely one of my favorites ever in that shape, irrespective of maker.👍
    Taylormade r510tp 10.5* Fuji Evo TS 661 
    TEE cbx 16.5* Accra TourZ LT70 
    Taylormade paintbreak V steel 18* Purple Ice 85
    TEE CNC Ltd. Forged 3-pw s400
    Artisan 53* s400
    Artisan 58* s400
    Cameron 1996 Laguna
  • Joe DufferJoe Duffer Members Posts: 739 ✭✭
    Close to twenty years ago, I traded John Daly two 1960's Wilson 8802's for a Laguna that Scotty had made personally for him. The story goes that John had asked for a "heavier" Laguna. When I received the Laguna, I removed the head and found it to weigh 351grams! - Quite heavy for back in those days! - I don't really know for sure, but it may be the only 350g Laguna ever made? Maybe someone could fill me in on that?
    "Don't let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do" - John Wooden
    Here's a shot of the John Daly Laguna clubhead on the scale...
    Another shot...
    I was asked for a few more shots...
    4.JPG 168K
    5.JPG 149.9K
    3.JPG 148.1K