True Linkswear Original and Outsiders?

endurancechiroendurancechiro The man with the Iron ThumbsMembers Posts: 1,008
edited Aug 23, 2017 in Golf Style and Accessories #1
So True finally released their new models, along with a total website redesign. The spiked and previous versions have been moved to the outlet section, so this is the new direction True will be taking, along with a hefty price hike ($150 and up). From the looks of it, they are trying to abandon the golf specific market and go after the athleisure/off course wear look. I've been a fan for several years, and I don't think anything will every top my Sensei's. Really wish they'd just bring back a simple low profile shoe without their take on fashion image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />

From the looks of the shoes they are not something I will be buying... Sad because I've been watching for the release for 6 months.

http://truelinkswear.../true-original/

http://truelinkswear.../true-outsider/

What do ya'll think?
A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
WITB Link

Comments

• Black'N'GoldBlack'N'Gold Members Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I like them, but not at that price. It seems ridiculous that spikeless golf shoes cost $40-50 more than a pair of turf baseball shoes or trail running shoes. Of course, that is what all of these manufacturers are doing with their golf shoes, but still.
  • matt_includedmatt_included Keep on Grindin' ClubWRX Posts: 1,060 ClubWRX
    I'm on the complete other side of the fence on these...

I really enjoy the look of both new offerings, including a return to concept/form with The Originals.
  • FrohlichFrohlich Members Posts: 597 ✭✭
    I use to own several pairs of true linkswear shoes when they first came out and really liked them. I really like the new true original but they look a lot (to me) like the puma ignite...which I can get a lot cheaper.
  • BoogieThumperBoogieThumper Sweet Jonez Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭
    I loved the sensei. I want the originals in every color, my goodness those are fire. I feel at 41 I'm "aged out" of the current Nike stuff anyway.
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]COBRA F7
    PING G-25 4-Wood
    PING G-25 Hybrid
    NIKE Covert 5-AW
    NIKE Engage Toe Sweep 54*/Dual Sole 58*
    Cleveland Huntington Beach 4
    SNELL MTB [/font]
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]RED[/font]

*Make Par Not War*
  • drn92drn92 Members Posts: 1,760 ✭✭
    I am a bit disappointed. I am on their email list for updates, etc., and the first I hear of new shoes is on Golfwrx. Props to the people on this site, but boo to TL for not notifying everyone that has shown interest in the past.

drn92
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,881 ✭✭
    Wonder when Ryan Moore will start wearing these.
  • matt_includedmatt_included Keep on Grindin' ClubWRX Posts: 1,060 ClubWRX
    Moore has actually been playing most of the season wearing, what have appeared to be, the Outsider model.
    Ok ... Took a look at the site and the new shoes. I like the Outsider more than the Original. But, it looks a lot like the Ecco Biom Hybird 2. If the TL is truly waterproof that is a win vs. the Ecco. Will most likely pick up a pair. I just wish they had a shoe with some brown tones to go with Khaki/Tan shorts and brown belts (although just typing that may indicate my total lack of fashion sense!).

I am just happy to have at least one option for a lower drop shoe that will perform year round in any conditions. Wish they were about 15% cheaper though.

drn92
    Black wrote:

I like them, but not at that price. It seems ridiculous that spikeless golf shoes cost $40-50 more than a pair of turf baseball shoes or trail running shoes. Of course, that is what all of these manufacturers are doing with their golf shoes, but still.

I also wish they were cheaper, but they are leather and waterproof, something that most trail shoes at ~$100 to $120 are not.

drn92
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,879 ✭✭
    drn92 wrote:

Black wrote:

I also wish they were cheaper, but they are leather and waterproof, something that most trail shoes at ~$100 to $120 are not.

drn92

I really dig the Original. The Outsider is just OK to my eye. $150 seems expensive for a True, but, if its truly fully waterproof, then the price to me is justified. I mean I have spikeless Nikes which cost $120 and aren't waterproof and are a similar concept (a sock like lining, low profile, lower drop but not 0 drop). Being real leather is a great touch too.

Ill probably pick up a pair of the Original but will wait till a coupon code comes out.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • MoshjeanMoshjean Members Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I wouldn't pay more than $100 for them, way too many great spike less options for less
    Life is good
  • mick0212mick0212 Registered Hack Members Posts: 76
    Really happy to see these. I still wear my original Trues and they're getting close to the end. I haven't bought any of the models since the Sensei as they went to a narrower toe box, fewer sizes and (ugh) soft spikes.

In for a pair of Originals, I would imagine.
  • ode1ode1 Members Posts: 2,826 ✭✭
    I like them.....not sure about the traction, but I would def buy both if there are sales, etc. Might go on the Xmas list. I liked the tour 2.0 and protos the most.... IMO the "original" originals were ugly as **** and too wide in the toe box, but I did like the outsoles of them quite a bit!
  • Black'N'GoldBlack'N'Gold Members Posts: 158 ✭✭
    I guess i just don't see the need for waterproof on spikeless shoes. If it's raining out wet, I'm going to be wearing something with a little more traction than these anyways.
    Black wrote:

I guess i just don't see the need for waterproof on spikeless shoes. If it's raining out wet, I'm going to be wearing something with a little more traction than these anyways.

I've not needed (yet) more traction in any condition than spikeless shoes provide. The waterproof for me is a big deal.

drn92
  • MrMileHighMrMileHigh Members Posts: 143 ✭✭
    Loving the look of the new True releases! I've been wearing them since their early days but not as much in recent years. Think I'm going to try both of the new releases at some point.
  • benno_rbenno_r Members Posts: 748 ✭✭
    Moshjean wrote:

I wouldn't pay more than $100 for them, way too many great spike less options for less

Very true, unless you have super wide feet, and the options go down to nearly zero.

Although guys like me are not a market you want to be actively targeting.
    Mizuno MP Type 2 - ADTP 6s
    Taylormade M2 - ADDI 7s
    FLY-Z XL 19 - Attas 105HS
    FLY-Z XL 22 - Attas 105HS
    Ping G30 5-GW
    GrindWorks 54/58
    Edel / Lajosi / Ping / Xenon / Odyssey / Black Lab on rotation
  • MillerLowLifeMillerLowLife Members Posts: 667 ✭✭
    I pre-ordered the white Original. I really dig the look and couldn't resist. I'm okay paying $150 supporting a smaller company.
  • sharkiesjsharkiesj Members Posts: 2,973 ✭✭
    You should have signed up to be a wayfarer on their site and save $10 bucks on your order.
  • ode1ode1 Members Posts: 2,826 ✭✭
    Curious on the fit.....been 11.5 and 12 on the later models
  • pschmitt712pschmitt712 Featured Writer @GolfWRX Members Posts: 130 ✭✭
    I've been very loyal to True Linkswear for many years. Love their products. I currently have 6 pairs (I think) and one is nearing retirement. I do like the new look, but I have to agree with you guys, I'd be out at that price. However, I will almost definitely snatch up one of the TRUE Motions that went on sale to retire that previously mentioned pair. I love their spikeless street/golf crossover shoes. They are amazing! No one does it better IMO.
  • endurancechiroendurancechiro The man with the Iron Thumbs Members Posts: 1,008
    drn92 wrote:

I am a bit disappointed. I am on their email list for updates, etc., and the first I hear of new shoes is on Golfwrx. Props to the people on this site, but boo to TL for not notifying everyone that has shown interest in the past.

drn92

I only saw them because of their FB announcement, I'm on their email list too image/sad.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />
    A bad day on the course is better than
    a good day at work!
    WITB Link
  • thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,801 ✭✭
    Didn't they used to have like $25-40 shoe sales a few years ago? $150 for the new shoe? With a bowl of soup?
  • mick0212mick0212 Registered Hack Members Posts: 76
    edited Aug 25, 2017 #25
    thevaporz wrote:

Didn't they used to have like $25-40 shoe sales a few years ago? $150 for the new shoe? With a bowl of soup?

There were times when previous models were on final clearance when you could get them for super low prices, sure.

I personally don't have a problem with the $150 price point if -- and this is an if -- they've really solved some of the past issues. It's not like True is the only shoe company that charges that much, this is a pretty common price for better quality golf shoes.

Since I'm not in immediate need I think I'll be hoping that Ryan Moore wins a tournament and they kick out a promo code.
    While the price point is a little hard to swallow initially, comparable shoes from competing brands are priced similarly. In fact, they are less than the equivalent shoe from Nike, Ecco, Footjoy, etc. $150-160 seems to be the going rate for a higher end, leather, waterproof shoe these days.

drn92
  • KonkliferKonklifer Thinkin' of a master plan... location, location.Members Posts: 7,803 ✭✭
    I like the look of the Originals but True's never fit me right.
    PING G400 Max 10°
    PING G400 16.5°
    PING G400 hybrid 19°
    PING i25 hybrid 22°
    Callaway XHP 5-AW
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
    Kevin Burns 9306
    Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow
  • NC IA HackerNC IA Hacker Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    Black wrote:

Under normal rain, yeah I'm going with a spiked shoe. Where I've had problems with their shoes are early mornings with dew still on the fairways. Your feet are soaked by the 4th tee box. Looking forward to the new ones with some waterproofing, can't beat the comfort during a walk!
  • caniac6caniac6 Members Posts: 2,661 ✭✭
    I wish I could find a store that carried them. I have a hard time buying shoes that I can't try on. It seems I can wear a ten in one shoe, and an eleven in another, so I never buy shoes unless I try them.
  • FEUOFEUO Unregistered Posts: 167
    Like the look of these over previous True offerings. But not at this price point.
  • sompin2dosompin2do Members Posts: 1,554 ✭✭
    caniac6 wrote:

I wish I could find a store that carried them. I have a hard time buying shoes that I can't try on. It seems I can wear a ten in one shoe, and an eleven in another, so I never buy shoes unless I try them.

They have a 30 day return with free shipping. After 30 and up to 90 you pay shipping. I have 18 pairs going all the way back to the first Trues. The last model I bought were the Gent Wingtips. I wear a 9.5 in all but the Protos (my favorite) and a 9 in those. Customer service has always been very helpful on the phone.