The No Ace Club - How close did you get this year?

15678911»

Comments

• Crazy_BikerdudeCrazy_Bikerdude WisconsinMembers Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited Jul 26, 2019 11:13am #302

From 261 yards on a par 4. Not close enough to be bummed out, but did get my first Eagle ever. So I am pretty stoked on that!

• net_worthnet_worth Members Posts: 59 ✭✭

I haven't come close this year. Dad has never got one either. He's been golfing for 30 years, shoots high 70s, low 80s on <6500y tracks. I was playing with him last night and he stuck one 1' from the cup. He took closest to though, so I don't feel that bad.

• James the Hogan FanJames the Hogan Fan Members Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well it’s been 15 years of playing golf in some form or another. The closest I have ever come is 3 feet. I have never holed out from more than 50 yards either. (And inside 5’ from outside 50 yards is probably a one- or two-handed counting operation; I’m a poor iron player)

Yesterday I was playing our 170yd 2nd and hit a 6 iron a little thin that rolled up the tier and out of sight over the crest. It was close in any case and I walked up to the green thinking ”there’s a chance... but then again there’s nothing there to make the ball turn left down to the hole” and there wasn’t, and the ball was 3’ away.

I am optimistic though, I’ve hit 3 good par-3 approaches in the last 2 weeks, so maybe I’m centering in!

Golfing in Finland!
    Wilson D300
    W/S Fybrid 3W
    W/S Fybrid 5W
    Hogan Apex 2003 (3-E)
    Mizuno 56
    Maxfli Revolution 60
    Macgregor Jackie Pung Putter #10

• trileriantrilerian Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭

Had a close call yesterday. Pin was 172 yds out, hit a high draw 7i that landed about 7-10' short of the flag, the ball then preceded to roll out. As it did both my playing partner and I thought it was going in. We both saw the ball dip then roll on. When I got up to the flag, my ball was sitting 6" away from the cup.

• Big A HGBig A HG Members Posts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got to about a foot and a half this year (just last week), but one thought I just had was interesting. I'm playing as good as I ever have, especially my irons, yet I feel further away from a hole-in-one than ever. Outside of my shot last week, which was to the left of the hole anyways (so never really got possible "hole-in-one vibes" while watching it in the air), I feel like I have many fewer chances for an ace than when I was younger. I'd have two or three a year that had my heart pumping watching the ball, numerous stop 4 inches, 8 inches, or a foot away, etc. Those were days when I played and practiced much less. Now, when I hit one within 5-6 feet I'm pretty pumped.

• dancarlsendancarlsen Members Posts: 20 ✭✭

This morning, 161 yards, almost jarred it on the fly. Had to do some repair work on the cup. Closest I’ve ever come.

• LefthookLefthook Golf nerd Members Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hang in there! I got mine after 28 years.

• JedaigekiJedaigeki Members Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭

Closet I've come in the past 12 months was at Woodhall Spa. This was the shot I hit.

• jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 604 ClubWRX

Hit the stick on the par 3 9th in my most recent quest for my first ace...

Missed the birdie putt to top it off

WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    5 Wood: 909 F2 18.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: 54º, 60º PXG 0311 - KBS
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,701 ClubWRX

It's about 15 years since I started playing the game again and actually playing seriously. I haven't had many close calls, and nothing really close recently. Playing our club championship this past Saturday I had 155 and drew a nice 8i in that looked like it had a great chance and from the tee loooked like it may have just missed. It ended up being about 2.5 feet short but that was the closest call I have had in probably 5+ years.

In the same round, I hit a drive left in the trees and had to hit a towering cut (about 15 yards) to a 140 pin. Took 8i and a pretty open face and pulled off the towering cut and nearly jarred it, pitch mark was 2 inches right of the cup.

I have had two hole outs for eagles on par 4s, but never a hole in one.

> See my current WITB
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
    TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1
  • spk7spk7 Members Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

I’m pretty sure I lipped out on one earlier this year but other than that no close encounters that I know of

• RichsgboxRichsgbox Members Posts: 108 ✭✭✭

@scagnetti said:
    this guy was on #4 at Clark Sun Valley Public Course. A 138 yard 7-iron for me... in February.

That is a heartbreaker. Sorry.

@Crazy_Bikerdude said:
    From 261 yards on a par 4. Not close enough to be bummed out, but did get my first Eagle ever. So I am pretty stoked on that!

Congrats. Green looks immaculate.

@dancarlsen said:

This morning, 161 yards, almost jarred it on the fly. Had to do some repair work on the cup. Closest I’ve ever come.

This is one of the craziest things I've seen.

• DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

@bazinky said:
    Since I'm pretty much shutting down my golf this year to weather and a nagging shoulder injury, it looks like I'll end my 25th year of playing golf without a hole in one. Thought it might be fun to hear stories about how close you got from others who are still waiting on that elusive ace.

I came really close this year. Our 18th hole is 210 yard par 3 over a ravine, with the green next to the bar patio. It's a tough hole, as most of the members jokingly refer to it as the easiest par 5 on the course. During one of my match-play rounds, I ended up about a foot from the hole. When we got to the green, several of the guys at the bar informed that my ball had actually hit the hole and lipped out. Would have been a cool hole to finally get mine on!

At least I made birdie on my close call, though. One of the guys I play with flew a ball into the hole on a par 3 but hit the liner, and the ball shot out and ended up in a fried egg lie in a bunker 25 yards away.

Shutting down due to weather!? What a short season! We are in a lull as it’s so fawking hot that unless you get one of the first few tee times you’re going to melt but we have at least 2 more months.

As far as aces go... none but I did win 2 closest to the pins at scrambles this year. Both were about a foot and a half away so nothing close enough to think might go in.

• ldandrealdandrea dearbornMembers Posts: 28 ✭✭

The closest I got to a hole in one was being in the cart when my wife got hers! Its been a rough couple of weeks!

• dayvei214dayvei214 Members Posts: 80 ✭✭✭

Side convo, I see those clips for hole in one challenge... But if they are taking 200 shots. Can you really consider it a hole in one?

• Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green MichiganMembers Posts: 4,430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A week or so ago, 128 yard 8 iron. I never drop and stop. **** spiny K-Sig balls (pond right and didn't want to lose one of my primo balls).

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • Under2hoursUnder2hours Members Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

A few Saturday's back was just a terrible round. Didn't play awful, but off for the most part. Play the tips, which are frankly too long for me, so usually a lot of work.
    14 holes and not even a GIR or par. On 15 another indifferent chip but made the 10' par putt.
    On 16 an uphill wedge that I almost dunked.
    Then 17, 140 yard par 3, struck perfectly and watch it curling to the hole..... Stops just short.
    Get to the hole and it is 1' away and was curling right into the cup. At least got my birdie......

Such is golf.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file