2018 MLB Thread

Comments

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,671 ClubWRX
    Watching the Dodgers-A's last night. Announcer had a great point

Top of the 9th, Dodgers up 4-0. No outs and A's have a runner on 1st. I cant remember who was at bat for the A's, but the Dodgers had a shift on. Only player on the left side of the infield was maybe two steps left of 2nd base. His question was, why at that point, will nobody drop a bunt down the line, or just inside out a ground ball towards 3rd? They won't do it, continue to swing for the fences. I guess thinking he'll hit a four run homer with one man on base.

I so much miss small ball baseball.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • scomac2002scomac2002 Inside the Starters' Hut Members Posts: 5,521 ✭✭

Top of the 9th, Dodgers up 4-0. No outs and A's have a runner on 1st. I cant remember who was at bat for the A's, but the Dodgers had a shift on. Only player on the left side of the infield was maybe two steps left of 2nd base. His question was, why at that point, will nobody drop a bunt down the line, or just inside out a ground ball towards 3rd? They won't do it, continue to swing for the fences. I guess thinking he'll hit a four run homer with one man on base.

You and me both, but it's gone with the game taken over by computer nerds and stats junkies... image/einstein.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beruo:' />
    Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

TM RBZ Black 12°
    Cobra Baffler Rail F 15.5°/20°
    TM '09 Rescue 25°
    TM Burner Plus 6-AW
    TM Z Spin 56°
    Never Compromise NCX RAY tau
  • Joe85Joe85 Members Posts: 3,850 ✭✭
    Joe Mauer on the verge of 2K hits today...to add to his record only AL catcher batting title and 3 total catcher batting titles.
    Titleist 983E 8.5*
    Sonartec SS03 14*
    Ping i3 17* Titleist 585h 21, 24*
    MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 5-PW
    Solus 51,56,61
    Seemore Si4
    WITB Link
  • knock it closeknock it close Members Posts: 7,945 ✭✭
    edited Apr 11, 2018 #35

People should be trying it more but the idea that it's an easy hit just isn't true, but at the very worst it may cause teams to rethink their positioning against you. Infrequent bunters bunt the ball in play about 46% of the time, and if you took out pure sacrifices I'd expect that number would drop a couple points further, BA when bunting against the shift in 2016 was .467 so obviously if you trust the guy to get it in play you would take that average and should attempt it, but you have to remember that average won't account for the guy that is down 0-2 because he bunted it foul twice and now has to swing away.
    M2, maybe
    915 FD
    913 HD
    712u 3
    714 AP2 4-p
    SM5 53, 59
    Circa62
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭

Real shame that the Yankees got blown out on national TV last night, you really hate to see that

Ya hate to see it. Real shame. Also Derek Jeter on the cusp of ruining his reputation/legend,,,folks, ya hate to see it..

side note I'm giving up on the Reds until they fire Brian Price and promote Barry Larkin to GM. (wishful thinking). What team should I root for now?
    It's too bad about the reds, I'm not a guy to cheer for guys just cause their Canadian or cheer for Canadian teams (I hate the Jays almost as much as the yankees,) but man do I love Votto, it would be nice to see him and the reds get competitive again and for him to get an extra base hit but he's usually a slow starter.

As far as other teams the Rockies are always fun to watch

Joey Votto is the only character this team has. Just no semblance of a winning mentality on one of histories winning-est (and first ever) baseball teams. Nepotism at its finest. Did you catch what he did to the Phillies Fans a couple games ago? Just hilarious, I don't know anyone in this town that does adore the guy. He got absolutely robbed of the MVP last year. Giancarlo (MIKE) Stanton edged him out bc of the team's success. It left a sour taste in my mouth which is why I smile now that Giancarlo (MIKE) sucks. I just wish the Reds had some sort of culture/tradition. I miss the days of B. Phillips swagging all over the middle infield, Aroldis throwing gas, Dusty Baker's wristbands/toothpick, Scott Rolen halfway in the retirement village at 3rd, and a healthy Homer Bailey. Not to mention all of the baseball talent the city has been producing lately. My HS alma mater has about ~10 players in the MiLB/MLB none of which play for their hometown team, rather they play for winning programs.

My best friend just moved to Denver, maybe I should pull for them.
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
  • fillwelixfillwelix Members Posts: 1,229 ✭✭
    Who else is pumped for the Yankee game tonight? LOOKS LIKE RIVALRY'S BACK ON THE MENU BOYS
    WITB
    Taylormade M3 Speeder Evo IV 565 X
    Taylormade M2 2016 3HL HZRDUS Black 75g S
    Mizuno MP33 3i Steelfiber i110 
    Taylormade P770 4i-5i Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade P730 6-PW Modus 3 Tour 120 S
    Taylormade MG 52 KBS Tour-V 130 S
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 & 64 KBS Hi Rev Wedge
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,213 ✭✭
    Sawx take 2/3 from the dreaded Stankees.
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
    Mauer got 2K last night on a 2R single.

Third all-time in hits behind Carew and Puckett (in a Twins uniform).
    Titleist 983E 8.5*
    Sonartec SS03 14*
    Solus 51,56,61
    Seemore Si4
    WITB Link
    Joe85 wrote:

Mauer got 2K last night on a 2R single.

Third all-time in hits behind Carew and Puckett (in a Twins uniform).

Pretty good company to be in.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • moegolfer11moegolfer11 steal your face right off your head Members Posts: 2,185 ✭✭
    "Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk to you again..."

Reds off to their worst start since the Great Depression.
    Taylormade M2 10.5° Graphite Design AD-BB 7x
    Titleist 913 FD 15° Diamana 'Ahina 70x
    Titleist 716 AP2 3 iron Accra 110i
    Titleist 716 MB 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Vokey Jet Black SM7 52° 56° 60° S400 Tour Issue Black Onyx
    Scotty Cameron Newport Teryllium Sole Stamp
    Bartolo had a perfect game into the 8th last night. Twins could have probably re-signed him for a box of crackerjacks. lol
    Titleist 983E 8.5*
    Sonartec SS03 14*
    Solus 51,56,61
    Seemore Si4
    WITB Link
  • CHuntsmanCHuntsman Members Posts: 807 ✭✭
    Klubers dealing!!
  • ImpImp Fueled Members Posts: 5,951 ✭✭
    Qqq123xx wrote:

Sawx take 2/3 from the dreaded Stankees.
    Good call. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

--kC
    Callaway Fusion / RBZ 3W / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons / Callaway MD3 52*, 58*, 64*
    Rizzo (I think) talking about shortening the season and taking a pay-cut.

24 games have been cancelled and pushed forward into double-headers. The players union wanted more days off but what they are getting apparently is a big headache.
    Titleist 983E 8.5*
    Sonartec SS03 14*
    Solus 51,56,61
    Seemore Si4
    WITB Link
  • devinh821devinh821 Members Posts: 558 ✭✭
    Man the yanks pitching is awful. Stanton is slumping, just a hard start of the season. Started out slow last year as well but ended better. Hopefully they will turn it around soon cause the Sox are on fiiiiiiiiiire
  • masamitsumasamitsu Members Posts: 2,488 ✭✭

"Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk to you again..."

Reds off to their worst start since the Great Depression.

I feel you. Reds fan here as well. So much hope then this......
    Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
    Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
    Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
    Titleist 4i AMT S300
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
    Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
    Carbon Ringo 1/4
    Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+
  • thug the bunnythug the bunny Members Posts: 6,141 ✭✭
    scomac2002 wrote:

You and me both, but it's gone with the game taken over by computer nerds and stats junkies... image/einstein.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':beruo:' />

Baseball has gone to the long ball, golf has gone to bomb and gouge, basketball to the 3 point shot, hockey to the speed game, football to the high power offense. It's all about making adjustments that score points. At least in baseball the defense has also adjusted by making 100mph pitchers almost commonplace.

Congrats to the Yanks for taking 1st place in the AL east. They went 17 - 1 last 18 games, and the last two games v the sox were really entertaining. They are now firing on all cylinders, starting pitching, bullpen, and bats. It looks like this season is going to be a classic dual between NY and boston.
    HOW BOUT THEM YANKEES???
    WITB
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • Yanki01Yanki01 TEXASMembers Posts: 6,043 ✭✭
    17-1 in the last 18 games!!!!!!!

cleveland-indians-v-new-york-yankees-e887407d9476249f.jpg
    915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
    915F Rogue Black 80S
    915H Rogue Black 85S
    712u 4i Recoil F4 110
    714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
    SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
    Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
    WITB || Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec
    Gleybae hits for the cycle today, count it
    WITB
    Byron Morgan DH89
  • knock it closeknock it close Members Posts: 7,945 ✭✭
    That game broke me last night.
    M2, maybe
    915 FD
    913 HD
    712u 3
    714 AP2 4-p
    SM5 53, 59
    Circa62
    fillwelix wrote:

HOW BOUT THEM YANKEES???

Gardner two doubles and a trip, heh heh. And Chapman pitched 103 heaters with a few 87 loopers to make the sox batters look like they just wanted to go back to their hotel rooms. All cylinders all day long baby!
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,213 ✭✭

fillwelix wrote:

HOW BOUT THEM YANKEES???

Gardner two doubles and a trip, heh heh. And Chapman pitched 103 heaters with a few 87 loopers to make the sox batters look like they just wanted to go back to their hotel rooms. All cylinders all day long baby!
    Yep and the Sox got out of their sad bed enough to win tonight.

Yanks 22 home games 15 road games

Sox 15 home games 22 road games
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
    Qqq123xx wrote:

fillwelix wrote:

HOW BOUT THEM YANKEES???

Yanks still took 2 out of 3.Yanks v Sox is really the only reg season baseball I watch routinely. Absolutely always some drama going on. I wouldn't be surprised at a 1 game playoff at the end of the season.

But why didn't Didi throw out the sox runner coming home from 3rd with 1 out and score 0-0?

Qqq123xx wrote:

fillwelix wrote:

HOW BOUT THEM YANKEES???

Yanks still took 2 out of 3.Yanks v Sox is really the only reg season baseball I watch routinely. Absolutely always some drama going on. I wouldn't be surprised at a 1 game playoff at the end of the season.

But why didn't Didi throw out the sox runner coming home from 3rd with 1 out and score 0-0?
    Welll I don't know maybe he thought the Yanks would score 15 more runs..... image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' /> image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' /> image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' /> image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
    Qqq123xx wrote:

Qqq123xx wrote:

fillwelix wrote:

HOW BOUT THEM YANKEES???

Welll I don't know maybe he thought the Yanks would score 15 more runs..... image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' /> image/busted_cop.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':busted_cop:' /> image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' /> image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />

I think you're actually on point Q. But I remember my little league coach telling us that every run you prevent is as if you scored a run. Fundamental baseball.
    I'm pretty sure these games in May have taken 15 years off my life. So stressful, it feels like the playoffs every game.
    WITB
    Byron Morgan DH89

Qqq123xx wrote:

Qqq123xx wrote:

HOW BOUT THEM YANKEES???

I think you're actually on point Q. But I remember my little league coach telling us that every run you prevent is as if you scored a run. Fundamental baseball.

Was it early in the game Thug? If so, I'm sure they figured they would score more than enough to offset one run. Get the sure out and try to eliminate the big inning.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    The ALC is a mess. The Twins might actually win that division...only to get smoked by the Yankees in the ALDS.
    Titleist 983E 8.5*
    Sonartec SS03 14*
    Solus 51,56,61
    Seemore Si4
    WITB Link
    Joe85 wrote:

The ALC is a mess. The Twins might actually win that division...only to get smoked by the Yankees in the ALDS.

Comedy CentrAL
    WITB
    Byron Morgan DH89