My favorite thing about golf is...

Greetings everyone,

I just joined the forums today and this is my first post. Thank you for creating this virtual community and I look forward to some interesting discussions.

I was wondering what people thought of as their favorite element or aspect of the game of golf... What keeps you coming back? What keeps you interested, constantly going out to the range to practice, always reading up on the newest clubs and watching the PGA Tour on TV? What makes you proud to say "I play golf", regardless of accomplishments on the course or lack thereof?

For me, I have gone through cycles of getting into the game and have always considered it to be a gentleman's sport. I like how the crux of the game is man vs self. I think it is a journey to control your own spirit, and thus your own mind, and thus your own body, to operate in smooth harmony with the laws of physics. I enjoy how beautiful the golf courses are... even if you are playing at a basic public course, it is wonderful to get out of the city or suburbs for a while and be surrounded by fields and trees. I like the cultural standards... it shouldn't be too much to ask to wear a polo shirt and tuck it in. And it's not only the dress, but a lifestyle that goes along with it, one of intention and skillful action.

I have had other hobbies, from skiing to paintball to music, which have been satisfying in their own right, but something about golf makes me keep coming back to it even after I've grown tired or bored of these other activities. The sheer difficulty of the body mechanics of hitting long shots has taken me years and years to get a handle on, and yet I think that difficulty weeds certain people out, and creates a community of those willing to put the hours of concentration and perseverance in to reach the beginning of consistency.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you
[font=comic sans ms,cursive]"Boy that is fun to watch right there. This thing's gonna roll a hundred and fifty yards"[/font]

Comments

• Sean2Sean2 #TheWRX (Callaway Trip) Members Posts: 30,826 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forum!

I don't have a favorite thing about golf. There are too many aspects of this game that I enjoy.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Rogue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB Epic 16º/20º/24º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Steelhead XR 25º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway Apex CF16 6-AW [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD3/MD-PM 54º/58º[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway "O" Works #7[/font]
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 599 ✭✭
    Welcome. Probably that I can play against myself or others, with many different formats. Gives me some focus for a round.
  • phil75070phil75070 Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    The fact that every day is different. It can be the same course day after day but conditions change, the swing changes, ability to read or not read putts correctly can change. Every day is a new challenge.
  • dnalepocadnalepoca Members Posts: 225 ✭✭
    My favorite thing about golf is that it can’t be perfected. One day you think you have it all together and the next you wish you’d never picked up a club. My favorite shot in golf is the 75 yard 56*. The sound of the ball whizzing through the air and then seeing it bounce and stop is a thing of beauty
    Cobra King F7
    Cobra King baffler F6 17.5*
    Cobra King Utility 20.5*
    Wilson Staff V4 Utility 23*
    Wilson Staff FG Tour F5 irons 5-PW
    Mizuno MP T-11 52*
    Wilson Staff PMP Tour 56*
    PING Glide 2.0 TS 60*
    Taylormade TP Juno Copper
    Bridgestone Tour B XS, Srixon Z-Star XV
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,387 ClubWRX
    This community is real, not virtual!
  • FadeFaceFadeFace Posts: 105
    That it takes focus and time. Two things which seem to be going extinct. Face too face interaction or solo compitition. And last but not least that one great shot where everything you have worked on and practiced falls into place.
  • Favorite things about golf:

Flushing and iron shot.

The sound of a compressed ball.

Walking to range at 7a with a coffee after they just opened it and hitting balls before a round taking care to make symmetrical Wolverine like stripes.

Making birdies.

Double Tito's with zing zang, no olives, pickle juice and spicy.

The clothes.

The sound of golf spikes on wood or pavers.

Hitting a fade or draw when I intend to.

The feeling that you're in on a secret when you're some how by yourself on an open course during twilight.

Practicing.

Golf is life.
    Titleist TS3, Evenflow stiff, 9.5, A1
    Callaway Rouge SZ w/AD-DI 7x, 13.5*
    Callaway Epic 2 Hybrid 18*
    Titleist AP3 718 4-pw (weakened 2*)
    Bettinardi Studio 28 Arm Lock
    Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
    Titleist ProV1x (2017)
  • uitar9uitar9 Members Posts: 370 ✭✭
    The feeling of walking the fairway to a well hit ball
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]WITB[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG OS11 12 degree driver
    Calloway 16 5-wood
    Calloway
    [/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]20.5 [/font][font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]heavenwood
    Cobra 24.5 9-wood
    [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 5-PW irons[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]KZG 52 and 56 wedges[/font]
    [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]TM Spider mallet[/font]
  • shizblamshizblam Posts: 86 ✭✭
    My favorite thing about golf is it gives me a reason to spend 4 hours with my favorite people on this planet.

I used to play competitively in HS and more recently with the MGA at my club, but I generally play with my wife now. I also get the opportunity to play a handful of rounds with my parents each year. As my parents age, I realize how blessed I am to play this game with them.

When the golf game isn't going well, I remind myself how blessed I am to be out here with these people playing this silly game. It really isn't worth getting upset. Forget the bad shots. Enjoy the company. Life's too short.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2016 M1 460 9.5*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2016 M2 15*[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]R15 3h (-1.5*)[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]RSI TP 4-9[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]EF Wedges 47, 52, 56, 60[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2016 Cameron Newport 34"[/font]
  • kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 217 ✭✭
    So many good things, you mentioned several of them. Outdoors and nature, the beauty of the landscape, the sounds and smells, the solitude. As far as playing goes, for me to execute a shot perfectly that I've envisioned in my head is the most rewarding part of the game. And the occasional thrills like holing out a chip or making a long putt, laughs on the course with friends. All good.
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Bio-Cell 16.5*
    PING G30 4 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,305 ✭✭
    I would say spending a few hours a week outdoors with my friends. Beats sitting in a bar. We have a good time, cut up, and just generally enjoy our time together. Even better lately now that my wife tags along (doesnt play, just rides in the cart with me). We dont spend much time together outside of the course (my friends, not my wife), so it's always good to get together.
  • Neverfadeaway86Neverfadeaway86 Posts: 234
    edited Jul 8, 2018 #13
    I always played sports growing up Baseball Football Basketball Hockey and after high school I had no real outlet for the competitor in myself and golf is my outlet for that now.

I also love being outdoors, meeting new people , have a nice cigar and always a Beer and a Hotdog at the turn
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]Au revoir, gopher ![/font]

[font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]Driver: Titleist 913 D2[/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]3 Wood: Tour Edge Exotics Trilogy 15 degree[/font]

[font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]3 Hybrid Ping I20 20 degree[/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]4 Hybrid: Ping G25 23 degree[/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]5-Gap Wedge: Ping G30 [/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]Sand Wedge: Ping Glide 56 degree [/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]Lob Wedge: Ping Glide 60 degree[/font]
    [font=Titillium, Arial, sans-serif]Putter: Lynx Black Cat BC3 center shaft [/font]
  • FourTopsFourTops Banned Posts: 1,676 ✭✭
    My least favorite thing is finding what's in other players bags. A guy asked me to toss him another ball, so I unzipped a pouch and found a roll of toilet paper.

Greetings everyone,

I just joined the forums today and this is my first post. Thank you for creating this virtual community and I look forward to some interesting discussions.

I was wondering what people thought of as their favorite element or aspect of the game of golf... What keeps you coming back? What keeps you interested, constantly going out to the range to practice, always reading up on the newest clubs and watching the PGA Tour on TV? What makes you proud to say "I play golf", regardless of accomplishments on the course or lack thereof?

For me, I have gone through cycles of getting into the game and have always considered it to be a gentleman's sport. I like how the crux of the game is man vs self. I think it is a journey to control your own spirit, and thus your own mind, and thus your own body, to operate in smooth harmony with the laws of physics. I enjoy how beautiful the golf courses are... even if you are playing at a basic public course, it is wonderful to get out of the city or suburbs for a while and be surrounded by fields and trees. I like the cultural standards... it shouldn't be too much to ask to wear a polo shirt and tuck it in. And it's not only the dress, but a lifestyle that goes along with it, one of intention and skillful action.

I have had other hobbies, from skiing to paintball to music, which have been satisfying in their own right, but something about golf makes me keep coming back to it even after I've grown tired or bored of these other activities. The sheer difficulty of the body mechanics of hitting long shots has taken me years and years to get a handle on, and yet I think that difficulty weeds certain people out, and creates a community of those willing to put the hours of concentration and perseverance in to reach the beginning of consistency.

Thanks and look forward to hearing from you

It's the only game I know of whereby everyone can compete with handicaps. And the more people suck, the more folks help...at least that's what I do.
  • BensdadBensdad Never thought I'd still be playing this good! Posts: 132 ✭✭
    I've played this game 45 years. Nothing I did before ever captivated my like golf has. I enjoy the competition, the challenge each day brings, the camaraderie of my fellow players, and the joy I receive when I can help someone enjoy their time on the course. There is no one thing I love about golf; I love a thousand things about it. I enjoyed today's round and look forward to tomorrow's.
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,216 ✭✭
    Well it used to be that there were no phones on a golf course.....
    G30 LS
    M2 BMW
    XR 4 Hybrid
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts
    My favorite thing about golf is my golfer friends know so much that isn't so.
  • MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 19,850 ✭✭
    I hate golf.

Just can't stop...
    Mizuno St-180 9.5
    Mizuno JPX 900 15
    Mizuno CLK 19, 22
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-Gw
    (Wedges TBD)
    (Putter TBD)
    Srixon Z-Star
    WITB
  • ZAPZAP ClubWRX Posts: 1,567 ClubWRX
    That feeling you have after playing a few holes in a row really well. Like nothing can go wrong and you have complete control over what is happening. Fully knowing this is a temporary situation.
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Members Posts: 3,699 ✭✭
    When you hit a shot (or series of shots) exactly as planned. Sure you might have shot 120 that day, but you’ll remember that pured 6 iron that led to that birdie or that drive you hit on 12 that demanded a perfect tee shot. Few things in life are sweeter, and I can think of no other sport that can give this sort of satisfaction.
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

The nerve.

Favorite things about golf. There is no perfect game.
  • Ferguson wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

The nerve.

Appologies
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]"Boy that is fun to watch right there. This thing's gonna roll a hundred and fifty yards"[/font]
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,025 ✭✭
    I was a multisport athlete in HS and college and golf is the most challenging sport ive ever played....that alone is a major attraction along with occasionally hitting a little white ball to a 6" inch cup almost 500 yards away with a metal stick......when you are marginally successful at something like that, its very enjoyable
  • CaddiesFaultCaddiesFault Golf Professional Members Posts: 790 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2018 #25
    Solid first post. Welcome!

I like golf because its hard to be good. Easy as that.
    Callaway
  • For me there are too many things about golf that I love about golf. I will say the thing I love the most about it is that you can never “master” golf. Even the pros have off days and that makes it so much fun. Trying to obtain the unobtainable by “mastering” a game that cannot be mastered.
    Never having to say you're sorry for hitting the luckiest shot on Earth....you tell folks you planned that shot...and they NEVER know for SURE!
  • GautamaGautama Posts: 751 ✭✭
    Those (rare for me) shots that leave you watching the ball doing exactly what you wanted it to...it's like flying
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • Gautama wrote:

Those (rare for me) shots that leave you watching the ball doing exactly what you wanted it to...it's like flying

Agree!!
  • 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 9,770 ✭✭

Ferguson wrote:

Hawkeye77 wrote:

The nerve.

Appologies
    o p you'll catch on to our quirky way's soon enough. Welcome and remember the best part is still yet come
    Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • Lagavulin62Lagavulin62 Members Posts: 1,976 ClubWRX
    The challenge to keep hitting the perfect shot. That feeling that comes from watching your ball sail the way you intended. On the course I think its just the opportunity to be in another world for a short time. To dream, pretend you can do things you can’t in real life.