RECAP: CALLAWAY GOLF BALL LIVE Q&A: Tuesday, July 24th. 2 PM ET/11 AM PT. Ask questions now!

HipCheckHipCheck Toed it a lil, Romes.The Right CoastMarshals Posts: 6,223 mod
Live Q&A Golf Ball Chat With Callaway!

Tuesday, July 24th. 2 PM ET/11 AM PT

Callaway continues to be an industry leader in golf ball innovation with Chrome Soft, featuring the new Graphene Dual SoftFast Core, and their popular Truvis line. Join us for a live Q&A chat with their experts on Chrome Soft, Supersoft, Truvis and any questions you might have about Callaway's golf ball tech and performance.

**WE'LL ALSO BE GIVING AWAY A DOZEN GOLF BALLS TO A FEW LUCKY WINNERS WHO SUBMIT QUESTIONS**

Get your questions in now, and follow along during the chat.

Who's On The Live Chat?

Dave Bartels - Sr. Golf Ball R&D Director

Rock Ishii - Sr. Director, Advanced Golf Ball Research

Jason Finley - Golf Ball Product Director

Vince Simonds - Sr. Director, Global Golf Ball Operations

When Was It?

Tuesday, July 24th. 2 PM ET/11 AM PT

Giveaway Winners

recklessmonkey

adfrick

aknow
Post edited by Unknown User on
Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

Comments

• uflorida1uflorida1 Members Posts: 720 ✭✭
    How do you reconcile developing balls to compete with a comeptitor’s offering vs creating a ball that may appeal to a new/underserved market segment? What’s the next big thing to come in ball development?
  • getair23getair23 Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭
    When you look to improve/change a ball from year to year. Do you do it to benefit tour players first and consumer second, or vice versa?
    Ping G400 MAX Aldila Rogue Silver-X
    Cobra F6 Baffler 17.5 Elements Chrome 7F5T
    Srixon Z 745 (4-9) Z 945 (pw) KBS tour-x
    Fourteen RM 21 50* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Bettinardi "The Hive" Black 54* and 60* KBS Tour FLT 130-x
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Evnroll ER2 
  • DBillDBill Members Posts: 1,106 ✭✭
    edited Jul 17, 2018 #4
    With more direct to consumer balls coming to the market at cheaper prices for the consumer, where does Callaway feel the ball market will be in 5 or 10 years.
  • GoneFishing2340GoneFishing2340 Posts: 209
    edited Jul 17, 2018 #5
    1. Does Callaway have any interest in a ball testing system similar to Titleist where someone signs up and gets sent a few sleeves of prototypes to try out and report back on?

2. Does Callaway have a ball in the works with around 100 compression to better compete with the ProvV1x (As I understand the chromesoftx has a compression of 90)?
    titelist-small.jpg[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 917D3 Diamana Whiteboard 70x [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font]
    titelist-small.jpg[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] 915F Oban Purple X flex[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]ei018y6.gif?1MP-59 DG S300 3-PW[/font]

titelist-small.jpg[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Vokey SM5 52 DG Wedge [/font]
    titelist-small.jpg [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SM5 56 DG Wedge [/font]

titelist-small.jpg [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Vokey [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SM5 60 DG Wedge [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] Nike Origin Putter [/font]
  • rymail00rymail00 Members Posts: 6,704 ✭✭
    Have you guys found graphene to be proven enough to continue using it in future gen balls?
    rymail00 2018 WITB http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/

TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
    Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
    Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
    Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
    Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
    Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer)

Ping Scottsdale TR B60
    TP Mills Heritage 349g
    Byron Morgan 006 355g
    Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper
    C&L CL1 368g
    Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style
  • adfrickadfrick Cure MS! Posts: 332 ✭✭
    Guys, thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

It seems as though Titleist filled a hole in their lineup with the AVX with a softer ball that spins less. I really enjoy the feel of the Chrome Soft and I like the feel of the AVX, but I think they possibly got it wrong by not letting it spin as much for the slower swing speed hitters.

How do the Chrome Soft and CSX compare to the AVX?

Thanks,

Drew
    Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
    Titleist 915F 3W
    TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
    PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
    PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
    Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
    Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges
  • pdaeropdaero Lefty Boomers Posts: 6,015 ✭✭
    How did you discover the potential of graphene affecting golf ball production, and when did it become a reality? FWIW, I'm really looking forward to trying the new CSX. I haven't had a chance to yet.
    Titleist 917D2 9.5* w/ Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60TX; Titleist 915F 15* w/ Tour AD MJ 8X; Titleist 915H 18* w/ Diamana S+ 90 X

Titleist 716CB 3-P w/ DG AMT TI X100 SS'd; Vokey SM6 53.09*, 59.07* w/ DG TI S400

PING Anser Milled 0 34"
  • aknowaknow Members Posts: 96
    Does a golfer with a moderate swing speed really benefit from a lower compression Call away ball, as opposed to a 100 compression ball? Please explain why, thank you.
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,874 ✭✭
    Where do you think you will find the next "revolution" in golf ball design?
  • gprubesgprubes twit: @shaeggy Members Posts: 812 ✭✭
    What, if any, are the future plans for the Truvis line? Loving the Green ones (****'s special), but are you guys going to make any others with a different main color than White, or Yellow, or expand the Yellow line?

Keep up the awesome work!!
    Taylormade M3 440 9* - Fuji Motore Tour Spec VC 6.2 S
    Ping G400 14.5* - Alta CB 75 S
    Taylormade Raylor 16* - Aldila HM40 S
    Taylormade Jetspeed 19* Hybrid - Matrix hM3 X
    Taylormade P790 4-PW - KBS C-Taper 120 S
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52.12F & 58.11
    Odyssey O-Works Black 1 Wide S w/Tour SNSR Contour Pro 140cc
  • Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 22,874 ✭✭
    I love the truvis designs - but I find that sometimes they make the ball harder to see in the rough, particularly with the white base (yellow and black is not too bad so for now I use those).

Have you ever considered using an outline of a pentagon instead of a solid pentagon? I would think less surface area for the darker color might improve visibility in the rough but with a thick enough boarder still provide all the benefits of the Truvis design.
  • sosob34sosob34 Posts: 167 ✭✭
    Has Callaway considered producing a mid-range priced urethane covered ball? Some other manufacturers have shown initiative in this area. This would help us budget minded golfers who do not want to spend $45 for a dozen golf balls. Thanks.
  • azkaevolutionazkaevolution Posts: 754 ✭✭
    How has the "roll back the ball" argument affected R&D for next gen balls? Do you believe the argument that the ball is to blame for the guys on tour overpowering some courses?
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway GBB (2015) 10.5*, KK Black TiNi 50 R-flex 44.25"[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR 17*, Project X LZ 50 Blue 42.5"[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Adams New Idea 22*, Bassara Eagle R-flex[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Adams New Idea 25*, Bassara Eagle R-flex[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Mizuno 2016 JPX EZ Forged, 4i-GW TT XP95 R300[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Titleist SM5 Vokey 54.10 M Grind [/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway MD2 Tour 58.09 T Grind [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Odyssey Versa Black 90 V-line Superstroke [/font]
  • NAM2212NAM2212 Members Posts: 934 ✭✭
    Are there any non-Callaway staffers that are playing the Chromesoft on Tour?
    Is the purpose of truvis to make the ball appear larger at address?
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Evnroll ER2 
  • johnny_golfballjohnny_golfball Members Posts: 421 ✭✭
    edited Jul 18, 2018 #17
    Hello-

First off, I’m a big fan of the Chrome soft and Truvis golf balls. Have you considered making a golf ball with a GPS tracking device?

Asking for a friend image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • DblEglDblEgl Members Posts: 749 ✭✭
    Thanks for taking our questions.

* * Would you recommend the Chrome Soft versus the Chrome Soft X for a moderate swing speed player or

or is it just a matter of feel off the driver or putter ? **
  • cz13X4cz13X4 Members Posts: 5,586 ✭✭
    Do you have any plans for a 5 layer ball?
    Ping g410 
    Cobra F8  VA Raijin
    Cobra F9 VA Raijin
    Ping S55 Accra 110 tour
    Ping glide stealth Accra 110 tour
    Bettinardi limited minovai
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,219 ClubWRX
    What impact do you think the Kirkland Signature line has had on the golf ball industry in general, by producing highly rated balls with lower price points?
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,005 ✭✭
    edited Jul 18, 2018 #21
    What effects does Graphene have on the Chromesoft ball and where did the idea come from to utilize this raw material during initial testing? I am a Chromesoft user and I absolutely love everything about this ball.
  • CallawayLeftyCallawayLefty Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,983 ✭✭
    Hey there,

I’ve been doing some testing of the Chrome Soft and am also planning to spend some time with the X. I notice that there are Tour players that play each. Can you explain what some of the Big deciding factors are for people that fall on each side of the fence?

Thanks!
  • ZAPZAP ClubWRX Posts: 1,566 ClubWRX
    Any plans to release a custom truvis for college or high school teams? Or I guess even individuals who might want that sort of thing.
  • tj7644tj7644 Posts: 213 ✭✭
    edited Jul 18, 2018 #24
    ZAP wrote:

Any plans to release a custom truvis for college or high school teams? Or I guess even individuals who might want that sort of thing.

My question is along the same lines.....Callaway has great "Custom" options with clubs, wedges including colors, stamps etc... How long before we have the option of custom Truvis colors/logos? Even MLB, NFL teams......

I love Chrome Soft in the Truvis pattern, I'd love to have more options.
    Callaway Epic
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, 3+
    Callaway Apex hybrid, 20 deg
    Callaway '19 Apex Pro, 5-AW
    Callaway MD3, 54
    Callaway MD4, 58, 60
    Odyssey Tank O works #1
  • jcorna01jcorna01 Members Posts: 590 ✭✭
    edited Jul 18, 2018 #25
    I played your Hex Chrome+ for years. I stocked up when it was discontinued. What current Callaway ball would you recommend considering my replacement to the Chrome+ is the Srixon Z Star XV?
  • TNTleftyTNTlefty Members Posts: 917 ✭✭
    I’ve got a few questions...

I’ve noticed Phil using Truvis during televised short game practice - is this a marketing move or is Phil a believer in the Truvis “focus factor”? Any chance he’d put it into play in a tournament round?

I enjoyed reading the white papers on ball technology - can you speak to the approach in delivering forgiveness with the new ball. What makes the low compression Callaway ball more forgiving then other low compression balls on the market?

• andyb24andyb24 Posts: 104
    It’s easy to assume Callaway is always testing new innovations and designs, but when is the decision made that an innovation is worth pursuing and what does the timeline look like from initial plan to a retail offering? How many designs end up not making to retail? Thanks for the insight!
    Nike Vapor Speed TW Driver
    Nike Vapor Flex 3 & 5 Wood
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-7; Pro 8-PW
    Nike Engage 50SQ, 54TS, 58DS
    Nike Method 006 Prototype
    Will Chrome remain the flagship ball, or will you look to bring out another high end ball now that Rock is on board?
    Edel 64* KBS C-Taper s+
    Evnroll ER2 
  • callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,578 ✭✭
    Will you ever put more technology in the super soft balls to help with spin?
  • PapaTortugaPapaTortuga QBNMissile Posts: 106
    Did you guys ever expect the Truvis ball to get the cult following that it has as well as being so collectible? Thanks!
  • HISPLHISPL Members Posts: 3,068
    Thank for the opportunity to ask some questions.

I love the Chrome Soft and it is by far my favourite ball on the market, it I guess the next question is how do you move forward from here?

Because it is such an exceptional ball how do you improve on that?

I can really only think that greater spin separation between driver and wedge would be the only real answer?

Is it possible to get a ball spinning less off the driver and more on the wedges?

What other products do you benchmark against?

Thanks for your contribution to Golf WRX!

Adam