Is the Ahina still relevant?

radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,711 ✭✭
So, I'm wanting to grab a 60 gram shaft that plays a little long to try out in my Epic and soon to be Epic Flash. I'm looking for something that is a similar profile to the Diamana DF as I have a 70 gram version that plays 45". I don't want to break the bank and found an Ahina on the bay for around $60 that will play 45.5".

Question is, can I expect a large difference in performance and feel vs. the more current offerings? Have shafts really come that much further in the last 6-7 years?

It's hard to find any comparisons due to the Ahina being as old as it is. Plus, I don't know that it was all that popular when it came out.
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag

Comments

• 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,308 ✭✭
    6 or 7 years is not too old for shafts. People use plentt of shafts that old...or older. The GD Ad di has to be that old and people still rave about them. Shaft companies are always introducing new materials and tech but I dont think there is too much difference within the last 7 years.

I would search some Ahina reviews and go off of those. There will likely be no direct comparisons.
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902
  • SkipperationSkipperation Members Posts: 189 ✭✭
    I haven't hit he DF but I still think the original Whiteboard is superb and relevant so the Ahina definitely isn't outdated. In comparison to the OG Whiteboard it is abit tighter with not quite as much feel but even lower spin/launch. Better than the D+ shafts I've hit, though I haven't hit the 'LTD' version. I still play the Kai'li which came out at the same time in my fairway woods and it's great.
  • PuppetmasterPuppetmaster Members Posts: 14,947 ✭✭
    edited Jan 11, 2019 10:08am #4
    If the shaft fits your swing and pairs well with the head, and gets the results you want, I don't see anything ever being not relevant. Unless we're talking hickory image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    WITB Link

Cobra King Ltd 8.5*, Speeder TS 6.2
    Callaway BBA 16*, Speeder TS 8.2
    Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump
    Maxfli Revolution 4-PW, DG
    Vokey 254.10, V-Grind 60*
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,411 ✭✭
    Absolutely still relevant. I'm using Kai'li in the 3w and it's as good of a fairway shaft as anything else I've stuck in... probably the best so far and I've used all of the blueboard style profiles, except for BF (too pricey still).
    WITB
    OG Epic Sub Zero HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD Proforce V2 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW Modus 120X
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/10SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Ardmore 2 Red-White
    ProV1x
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,711 ✭✭
    81PING wrote:

6 or 7 years is not too old for shafts. People use plentt of shafts that old...or older. The GD Ad di has to be that old and people still rave about them. Shaft companies are always introducing new materials and tech but I dont think there is too much difference within the last 7 years.

I would search some Ahina reviews and go off of those. There will likely be no direct comparisons.

I had an Ahina back in the day. It has just been so long. I am not expecting there to be a huge difference. And, in all reality, $60 isn't much of an investment. I may just pick it up and see how it plays.
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    Z1ggy16 wrote:

Absolutely still relevant. I'm using Kai'li in the 3w and it's as good of a fairway shaft as anything else I've stuck in... probably the best so far and I've used all of the blueboard style profiles, except for BF (too pricey still).

Yeah, the Kai'Li was one of my favorite shafts. I didn't care much for the B Series from a few years back. I really want to try the BF, but I agree, it is just too pricey. The DF I have is a prototype that I got on ebay for $60. It is 70 grams but feels really light to me. I think it's because it plays shorter than I am used to. It isn't as tip heavy as I would have thought it would be. But, being a prototype, the specs may be a little different from the final retail version.
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
  • Spongeb0bSpongeb0b Members Posts: 2,361 ✭✭
    I use an 'Ahina in my R11 3wood. There's a reason they're both still in my bag.
  • mesomikemesomike ClubWRX Posts: 523 ClubWRX
    In my opinion the ahina is one of the worst diamana shafts made. Felt really odd to me and several others I know who got them back in the day. Btw diamana is my favorite line of shafts.
    G400 Lst 8.5, Tour AD TP 6X, Atmos Black TS 6X
    Titleist TS3 Tour Ad TP 6X, Aldila Rogue 125 msi 60X
    Tour Edge CBX 3 woods, Atmos Blue TS 7X, Kai'li 70X, Diamana BF70X
    Tour Edge CBX 5 woods, Kai'li 80X, Diamana BF70X
    718 Ap2's, Project X LZ 6.5 ssx1
    Vokey SM6 wedges w/ s400
    Odyssey #7 putter.
    1 bad a** yamaha drive golf cart on 14's.
  • 5hort5tuff5hort5tuff Members Posts: 3,308 ✭✭
    mesomike wrote:

In my opinion the ahina is one of the worst diamana shafts made. Felt really odd to me and several others I know who got them back in the day. Btw diamana is my favorite line of shafts.

Was it their worst shaft or a bad feel/for for YOU?
    COBRA LTD w. Hzrdus Red
    WISHON 919 w. Hzrdus Red
    TAYLORMADE Issue Aeroburner w. Tensei Blue
    PING G25 w. Tensei Blue
    PING I200 w. AWT 2.0
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth
    MannKrafted Carbon WB Rattler
    Xenon Copper Wide X
    SGC 902

If the shaft fits your swing and pairs well with the head, and gets the results you want, I don't see anything ever being not relevant. Unless we're talking hickory image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

That's the thing. I won't know unless I buy it and give it a shot. I have a feeling that overall, it will be just fine. Since I haven't played a shaft from that time for a while, I wasn't sure if there was a noticeable difference. As head designs change, it seems shaft design follows suit. I will probably pull the trigger just because it's got to be close to the same profile as the 70 gram DF I have. Probably some small differences in performance and feel. But, I guess they would probably be negligible.
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    81PING wrote:

mesomike wrote:

Myself and a few other friends of mine who were all big fans of the blueboard, whiteboard, kaili all thought the shaft had a very weird kick to it and felt off. You don't see alot of these shafts around and even back when it was newer not many people gravitated towards it. Just my opinion. Now the Kaili on the other hand is one of the best fairway shafts I have ever tried. I have had at least 10 of those in different clubs and still play a couple in some cbx fairways.
    Vokey SM6 wedges w/ s400
    Odyssey #7 putter.
  • QegureziQegurezi Members Posts: 3,801 ✭✭
    mesomike wrote:

81PING wrote:

mesomike wrote:

Myself and a few other friends of mine who were all big fans of the blueboard, whiteboard, kaili all thought the shaft had a very weird kick to it and felt off. You don't see alot of these shafts around and even back when it was newer not many people gravitated towards it. Just my opinion. Now the Kaili on the other hand is one of the best fairway shafts I have ever tried. I have had at least 10 of those in different clubs and still play a couple in some cbx fairways.

Interesting take. When i first shafted up the Ahina 70 i too felt it had one weird high kickpoint and that it played floppy. I did not overly have this problem with the WB73. However once i tipped it a little it felt normal and was actually a really decent shaft. So my take is that if you have it set up slightly soft it performs woefully and feels absurd with that weird kick. Once tuned in it's great.
    Tipping it wouldn't have any effect on the high kick point. Going to a stiffer flex would tighten it up. I really just didn't like this shaft and it wasn't very popular for a diamana shaft. Also I didn't like the B series that much.
    Vokey SM6 wedges w/ s400
    Odyssey #7 putter.
  • QegureziQegurezi Members Posts: 3,801 ✭✭
    Had a big affect on my two. The kick point on a high kick point shaft is not much higher.
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub Members Posts: 2,122 ✭✭
    I played an Ahina 80x in my old Titleist 910D3 for years and I loved it. I'm also a big fan of the Kai'li as its easier for me to turn over. A great generation of shafts as far as i'm concerned, the originals were so legendary that the follow up was always going to get less love.
    Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX || Titleist 915D3 8.5* Diamana Kai'li 80x
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Fujikura Motore VC 8.3 Tour Spec X || Nike SQ2 13* Diamana Blueboard 83x
    Nike Tour Issue SQ2 17* Diamana Blueboard 103x || SQ2 15* Diamana Blueboard 93x
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread
  • MyShortGameSucksMyShortGameSucks His doesn't.... Members Posts: 1,349 ✭✭
    I play an Ahina 60x in my Epic SZ. Absolutely love it. Always been a fan of the older Diamana whiteboard series in drivers and really like the BluBoards and Kali’s in fairways too. I did not notice any appreciable kick difference between whiteboard, Ahina or D+ models. To me the Ahina just feels a bit smoother than the Whiteboard and a bit more solid than than the D+. Note all these comments apply to the 60/63 model in X flex which, for me, are quite a bit easier to load than the 70/73 models.

The only recent shaft I slightly prefer is the new Evenflow white that is stock in new TS2/TS3 drivers. Does not feel as smooth as the Ahina but was getting another 1 to 2 mph clubhead speed on Trackman and just as good dispersion.
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero Custom All-Black 10.5 deg, Diamana Ahina 60x
    TM 790 UDI 2 iron / PX Hzrdus 85
    Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H
    Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-7, Tour 8-PW. Nippon Modus 105x
    Mizuno S18, 50, 54, 58 deg - Nippon Modus 120s
    SC Futura XR / SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
    Bridgestone B330 - B
    Thanks for all the feedback. I have been swinging the Pro Orange on a simulator the last few weeks. I don't know what it is about a counter-balanced shaft, but it feels like my timing is actually much better than it has been in the past. That, and it doesn't feel as heavy as it initially did. Must be the counter-balance at play. I am still on the fence on whether or not I want to introduce another variable to my indecision. But, I don't think I would be leaving much on the table should I go with the Ahina.
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60