2019 pro v1 or 2019 tp5

Hi,

I have used a pro v1 for as long as I can remember, but this year I fancy a change. Has anyone made the change from pro v1 to tp5 this year. And if so, is there a noticeable difference in the tp5 from the pro v1.

Comments

  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I've played a couple rounds with the new pro v1 and tp5. The pro v1 is more durable and slightly lower launch than the tp5. I'd say the tp5 is a little longer off the tee but this is hard to say for sure. The stand out for me is the new pro v1x. I am constantly 15 yards longer with it off the tee and don't feel like I'm giving up any feel around the greens. Ofcourse this is just my results, YMMV. So I'm making the switch back to the pro v1x this year.
    Taylormade M3 440 9° Diamana BF 70X
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 16° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 18° Aldila RIP Tour 115 tour S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F PX6.5, 54S & 59D PX6.0
    Taylormade Ardmore 3 red/white 
    Titleist Pro-V1
  • kcstockkcstock Members Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Ive been wondering this same question.

    I found a lot of good content on YouTube with guys testing side by side.



    The overall result is in line with what jetmech said above, Pro V is more durable but tp5 might be longer.



    I like a softer feel off my putter and chips, so im going to stick with Pro V1
    PING G400 LST 8.5* - Rogue Silver 70
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Titleist 818 H2 19* (C1)
    Titleist 818 H2 21* (B1)
    718 AP2 (4-9) - AMT Tour White
    Titleist SM7 46.10 F, 50.10 F, 56.10 S, 60.12 D
    Callaway PM Grind 60* 12*
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6M - 33"
  • gopher00gopher00 Members Posts: 2
    It looks by your bag setup jet, that you have a high swing speed. Mine is around 100 - 106, I am worried that I might not have enough in the tank to hit the tp5x or pro v1x.
  • jetmech879jetmech879 Members Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    gopher00 wrote:


    It looks by your bag setup jet, that you have a high swing speed. Mine is around 100 - 106, I am worried that I might not have enough in the tank to hit the tp5x or pro v1x.




    I could be wrong, but I don't think the X series of balls necessarily means you need a high swing speed. I swing a driver between 106 to 111. Based on that I really shouldn't be in X flex shafts. I may loose a touch of distance but the control more than makes up for it. Since the pro v1x is higher launch and spin, I should actually probably be playing the pro v1. But the X is so much longer for me. I love that ball!
    Taylormade M3 440 9° Diamana BF 70X
    Taylormade M1 2017 TI 16° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 18° Aldila RIP Tour 115 tour S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 4-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F PX6.5, 54S & 59D PX6.0
    Taylormade Ardmore 3 red/white 
    Titleist Pro-V1
  • BeeezBeeez Members Posts: 197 ✭✭✭
    Interested in this as well. I usually prefer the non X balls as they don’t feel like rocks to me. Would love to hear additional specifics on the 2019 V1 vs 2019 TP5.
  • SecondShotSecondShot #golfnerd GermanyMembers Posts: 76 ✭✭✭
    The Pro V1 spins a little less than the V1x, while it's softer. The TP5 spins more but is even softer than the Pro V1.



    Conclusion: For me (and my feeling) the TP5 is the perfect combination of the best attributes of the Titleist balls :-)



    I tested all of them last month. And I liked the sound and the feel of the TP5 with my wedges and my putter the most. The Pro V1(x) was more durable. But sound/feeling was more important to me. And I found the TP5 to be dead straight in the wind.
    TaylorMade M3 Driver 9.5° (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6S)
    TaylorMade M4 Fairway 15° (MCA TENSEI CK Blue Fairway 65 S)
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi Iron 3 (True Temper XP 95 S300)
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged Irons 4-PW (True Temper XP 95 S300)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 Wedges 50.08 F, 54.14 F, 58.12 D (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
    TaylorMade TP5
  • LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest Downfall St. Johns / Jacksonville FloridaMembers Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to be a ProV and ProVX player. Always preferred to feel of the softer ball. I recently switched over to TP5 and it's a really good ball. As other have mentioned, it might not hold up as well over the course of a round. I have not tried the 2019 ProV, but I may because at the rate the TP5 is holding up for me, I get 9 holes, 18 holes TOPS out of a ball. The 17 and 18 ProV's got me usually through 2 rounds before I had to retire them.



    I had my first 9 holes with the TP5 today and I had to retire it to the shag bag from wedge cuts. They are just too pricey for that.



    The Chromesoft X was what I played all last year and was a fantastic ball except it spun a little too much into greens for me. The CSX felt right in between a ProV1 and ProV1X, which was perfect.
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
    Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
    Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
    Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
    Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • ShakesterShakester Members Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've got both Pro V1's and TP5's in my bag.  I use to love the TP5 but there was just way too much spin on it.  I play a lot of windy, links style courses and it just doesn't cut through the wind as well as the Pro V1's.  A few rounds ago though, I picked up a sleeve of Titleist AVX's before a round just to try them out and that cut through that wind like no other ball I have tried so far.   The guys I usually play with, we all have similar distances and on that windy day, I was outdriving them by 20, sometimes 30 yards.  Soft around the greens.   Enough spin to stop on them as well.  I was skeptical about the AVX, but I've just picked up 2 dozen and now my ball of choice.  
    Taylormade M3 Driver (UST Mamiya Chrome Elements Stiff Shaft) 9.5
    Taylormade M2 3 Wood 15
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood 18
    Taylormade P770 Irons (4-PW)
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges (50, 55 & 60)
    Titleist Select Newport 2.5
    Titleist AVX, TP5 and Pro V1
  • callyfan1callyfan1 Members Posts: 3

    How was AVX distance compared to your playing partners on non-windy days or perhaps that has not happened yet? Also, did you notice if the trajectory was lower than your V-1 traj?

  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I loved the ‘17 V1 and hated the TP5x. But I really like the ‘19 V1x so far. I haven’t tried TP5 but I hated the x so much that I figured it would be a waste. I also don’t like the AVX.

    I would say wedge spin and feel are most important for me, and I have a low launch / low spin swing thus I need some spin and higher launch. I was worried that the V1x would be too clicky off the putter but I found it to be nice and “smooth”...not too soft, a little “hard” but not really hard either...kinda like it had just the right amount of firmness.

    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • trackcoach13trackcoach13 Members Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 23, 2019 1:05pm #12

    @LeftDaddy said:
    I loved the ‘17 V1 and hated the TP5x. But I really like the ‘19 V1x so far. I haven’t tried TP5 but I hated the x so much that I figured it would be a waste. I also don’t like the AVX.

    I would say wedge spin and feel are most important for me, and I have a low launch / low spin swing thus I need some spin and higher launch. I was worried that the V1x would be too clicky off the putter but I found it to be nice and “smooth”...not too soft, a little “hard” but not really hard either...kinda like it had just the right amount of firmness.

    What did you not like about TP5x? Because as far as wedge spin goes TP5 spins more than any of the other 4 you mention. Well at least for me it does. It is also not as clicky as TP5x.

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: Cobra F9 w/ Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff
    3W: Titleist 917F2 w/Fujikura Speeder Pro Tour Spec 84 Stiff [/font]

    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2I: Srixon Z U65 18 Degree w/Miyazaki Kaula 7s
    Irons: Wilson FG Tour v6 4-GW DG S300 AMT
    Wedge: 56/11 Wilson FG Tour PMP Raw Tour Grind[/font]

    Wedge: Vokey SM6 60-12 K-Grind
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font]Odyssey O-WORKS Red Marxman
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @trackcoach13 said:

    @LeftDaddy said:
    I loved the ‘17 V1 and hated the TP5x. But I really like the ‘19 V1x so far. I haven’t tried TP5 but I hated the x so much that I figured it would be a waste. I also don’t like the AVX.

    I would say wedge spin and feel are most important for me, and I have a low launch / low spin swing thus I need some spin and higher launch. I was worried that the V1x would be too clicky off the putter but I found it to be nice and “smooth”...not too soft, a little “hard” but not really hard either...kinda like it had just the right amount of firmness.

    What did you not like about TP5x? Because as far as wedge spin goes TP5 spins more than any of the other 4 you mention. Well at least for me it does. It is also not as clicky as TP5x.

    Was too hard, no discernible advantage with driver over the V1 or V1x, and wouldn’t stop at all on the greens. I thought the Chrome Soft was a rollout machine until I tried TP5x. And at least the Chrome Soft is soft.

    I’ve read on here that TP5 is better around the greens than the x, but the x was so far off of what I like that I just thought I’d stick with V1/x.

    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • MorryMorry Members Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭

    LeftDaddy - given the low launch / low spin tendency (I have same), have you or did you try the CSx
    I have found that the best for my game / V1x 2nd best / Neither TP's suit well frankly

    Ping G400 10.5 - EvenFlow Blue 65 6.0 
    TM M6 5W - Fuji Evo III 757 S
    Srixon U65 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85 6.0
    Taylormade 760 4-P - Modus 105-X
    Cleveland RTX-4 52, 56, 62 - Modus wedge 115,115,125
    Odyssey V-Line Fang O-Works - Stability Shaft 
    CS-X  
  • CodyJSparksCodyJSparks Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

    Pro V1 for me. I would like to give the TP5 a chance too. I might buy a box to see what the hype is all about.

    Ping G400 Max 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 75) 
    Ping G400 14.5* (Alta CB Stiff)
    Cobra Baffler Rail H 19* (Whatever the stock Stiff shaft was in 2010 when I bought it)
    Ben Hogan PTX 4-PW (Dynamic Gold s300) 
    Cleveland CBX 52* (Dynamic Gold Wedge)
    Cleveland RTX 3 CB 56* / 60* (Dynamic Gold Wedge)
    Yes! Madison 34'' (About to get kicked out of the bag)
    Srixon Q Star Tour
    Ping Hoofer
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Mar 28, 2019 12:13pm #16

    @Morry said:
    LeftDaddy - given the low launch / low spin tendency (I have same), have you or did you try the CSx
    I have found that the best for my game / V1x 2nd best / Neither TP's suit well frankly

    Yes, I tried the CSx. I liked it. I could be fine with the CSx as my ball, but I mostly concluded that it wasn’t as long as V1x nor did it perform quite as well with the wedges. It is softer, though. I love the way it feels, and it is pretty solid around the greens (way better than TP5x or CS), and is as long as most balls except V1x. I also tried so hard to like CS but finally concluded that it isn’t anywhere close to the right ball for me, so I guess I don’t fully trust CSx because it is part of the “family “.

    But all of that said, if I switched out of V1x I would go with either V1 or Z-star. Honestly, z-star might be the best ball out there, but I just can’t “leave” the V1 family yet.

    Post edited by LeftDaddy on
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • IUPGolfIUPGolf Members Posts: 216 ✭✭

    TP5 hands down best ball for my game. Always played V1x and switched to TM a few years ago and started off playing TP5X. Decided to side by side compare tp5 and Tp5x. The tp5 was better for me in all aspects.

    TM M5 9* Fuji Tour Spec 63x
    Mizuno ST190 15* Tensei White 7x
    TM M1 Hybrid 19* Fuji Atmos blue x
    Mizuno 919 tour 7-pw Nippon Modus 120x
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 3-6 Nippon Modus 120x
    Cleveland RTX4 52,56,60 DG Tour Issue S400
    Odyssey Stroke Lab R-Ball
    TM TP5

  • denvergolfdenvergolf Castle Pines, COMembers Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I have mainly played the TP5x the last two years. I'm really impressed with the Pro V1x for 2019. For my game, it just feels better with the wedge and putter than it has in the past, and I'm giving up nothing with the long game (probably gaining a bit).

    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero TD - 9* HZRDUS Smoke 6.5 - 70
    Callaway Epic Flash SubZero - 15* HZRDUS Smoke 6.5 - 80
    TaylorMade M3 20* Hybrid, Kuro Kage XT 100TX
    Callaway Razr X MB, 4-W, PX 6.5
    Cleveland RTX 4 Raw, 52-mid, 56-mid, and 60-low
    Titleist Cameron Newport 2 Timeless 
    2019 ProV1
  • AC168AC168 Members Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Pro V1x and TP are similar balls.

  • Xdmike20Xdmike20 Members Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

    @LeftDaddy said:

    @trackcoach13 said:

    @LeftDaddy said:
    I loved the ‘17 V1 and hated the TP5x. But I really like the ‘19 V1x so far. I haven’t tried TP5 but I hated the x so much that I figured it would be a waste. I also don’t like the AVX.

    I would say wedge spin and feel are most important for me, and I have a low launch / low spin swing thus I need some spin and higher launch. I was worried that the V1x would be too clicky off the putter but I found it to be nice and “smooth”...not too soft, a little “hard” but not really hard either...kinda like it had just the right amount of firmness.

    What did you not like about TP5x? Because as far as wedge spin goes TP5 spins more than any of the other 4 you mention. Well at least for me it does. It is also not as clicky as TP5x.

    Was too hard, no discernible advantage with driver over the V1 or V1x, and wouldn’t stop at all on the greens. I thought the Chrome Soft was a rollout machine until I tried TP5x. And at least the Chrome Soft is soft.

    I’ve read on here that TP5 is better around the greens than the x, but the x was so far off of what I like that I just thought I’d stick with V1/x.

    I think if you haven't tried it yet, you should try the TP5. It is much softer than the 5x and in my opinion it is just as long off the irons but stops like a dime on the greens. I haven't been hitting my driver well this year so I can't really give a good opinion on the driver but everything else considered, the TP5 is a great ball.

    DRIVER- Cobra LTD (Ozik Black Tie)[/font][/color]
    3 WOOD- Cobra Fly-Z (Ozik White Tie)[/font][/color]
    HYBRID- Cobra Bio Cell (19* Project X)[/font][/color]
    IRONS- Cobra Pro CB 2008 (Soft stepped PX6.0)[/font][/color]
    GAP- Vokey SM4 50*[/font][/color]
    SAND- Vokey SM5 54* S grind[/font][/color]
    LOB- Vokey SM5 58* S grind[/font][/color]
    PUTTER- Odyssey O-works 1W red[/font][/color]
    BALL- Nike RZN Tour Platinum(until my stash is gone)[/font][/color]
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    A while back I was evaluating new Titleist Prov1 and Prov1X so I tested the TP5 and TP5x too. TM's TP5 ball is suppose to be similar to ProV1, it wasn't even close IMO. TM's TP5 was about 5yrds shorter than Prov1. TM's TP5x, however, did feel nice, maybe similar to Prov1x and just as long. When all was said and done, didn't see any benefit in changing.
    What I find is ProV1 and ProV1X are very similar in yardage. The difference is ProV1x performs better around the green for me. I like AVX a tad better than ProV1 because it spins better into and around greens. Go figure.

    • Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 6.0
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-9i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB PW, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1x





  • ChrisLC40ChrisLC40 Rochester, NYMembers Posts: 70 ✭✭

    I was playing ProV1x earlier this year and mostly like what I was seeing. It did seem though that I was losing 5-10 yds on the short irons because of the higher spin. Fast forward to this past Thursday when I put TP5x in play for a round. Felt good on good strikes, but seemed like it lacked consistency on those good shots. After a bounce from the first cut to the cart path back to the rough, the cover was ripped open about the size on 2 pencil erasers. Just like I had read here and elsewhere about their thin covers.

    Today I had scheduled some time on a sim to do some ball and gap testing. Ball testing was between the ProV1 and TP5x...obviously they're 2 different balls but was curious what results I'd see.

    54* RTX4 - blue = TP5x, red = ProV1

    Nearly identical numbers, though the ProV1 had the edge on offline

    7i i210 - top 5 = TP5x, bottom 5 = ProV1 (forgot to change the ball color on the sim)

    ProV1 was incredibly consistent, though I may need to consider the higher flight of the V1x. The TP5x seemed to confirm what I was seeing the other night on the course.

    Cleveland HB Launcher 10.5
    Cobra F8 3W 16
    Ping G400 4H
    Ping i210 4-W
    Cleveland RTX4 50, 54, 60
    Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT #1
  • agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jetmech879 said:
    gopher00 wrote:

    It looks by your bag setup jet, that you have a high swing speed. Mine is around 100 - 106, I am worried that I might not have enough in the tank to hit the tp5x or pro v1x.

    I could be wrong, but I don't think the X series of balls necessarily means you need a high swing speed. I swing a driver between 106 to 111. Based on that I really shouldn't be in X flex shafts. I may loose a touch of distance but the control more than makes up for it. Since the pro v1x is higher launch and spin, I should actually probably be playing the pro v1. But the X is so much longer for me. I love that ball!

    I always thought the ProV1 and ProV1x had a harder feel but I didn't think this was impacting performance at all. There are a lot of LPGA players (most topping out at 100 mph, many slower than that) that play these balls and they probably wouldn't play something that was worse just due to swingspeed (or lack of it). Unless Titleist is making a different version for them.

    Titleist never jumped on the lower compression / swingspeed related bandwagon. Hard for me to know what is true science vs marketing though.

    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • Red4282Red4282 Members Posts: 328 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 14, 2019 12:53pm #24

    Cant speak for the 2019 prov1, but ive played prov1s most my golfing life. However this year is 2019 tp5x all the way. Im one of the few players on here (it seems) that is seeking to lower spin. Tp5x is a great wind ball. High and flat. Spin is drop and stop(for me) where as it seemed everything else was spinning back too much. I will say there is a much bigger difference in the tp5 vs tp5x than the prov1 vs prov1 x. The v1 and v1x perform almost exactly the same, one is just slightly softer. The tp5 and 5x perform quite a bit differently . If i were to rate from highest spin/softest feel to low/ firm id go tp5, prov1, prov1x, tp5x in that order

  • spk7spk7 Members Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

    I play the tp5 and like them a lot, my home course has always been dominated by people playing pro vs but this year there has been a large increase in tp5/5x

  • Hat TrickHat Trick Members Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Can't go wrong with either of the four - I'm playing the Pro V1X because my driver swing speed is 94-96 mph and I need the spin to keep the ball in the air and to hold the greens. My carry distance with TS3 driver is 230yds.

  • playaplaya Members Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    ProV and TP too expensive in Australia to justify. I've been getting B XS for $15 (TP) to $22 (ProV) a dozen cheaper so don't consider either. Luckily for me I rate the B SX higher than either when Ive used them from shop credit (my pro shop doesn't stock Bridgestone).
    But to answer the OP, from my limited experience the TP and ProV1 are almost indistinguishable in performance, with the TP having a slight edge in feel imo.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file