***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***

Update 8/14 - ***Migration work continues. Estimate Go Live to new board 8/17***

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

What's worked for you in getting rid of yard moles?

Bob Cat ·  
Bob CatBob Cat GolfopathMembers  2089WRX Points: 851Handicap: ~9Posts: 2,089 Platinum Tees

I have one of those spring loaded spike traps but I'm not sure I'm killing anything. But I've never dug one up to find out either.

Posted:

"I challenge, transform, and instill confidence in young men through the life lessons learned from the game of golf."

Taylormade M1
TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
Ping i15 / Zing 2
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black / SC Futura Phantom
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Clicgear 4.0

Comments

• third-times-a-charmthird-times-a-charm Members  3368WRX Points: 1,458Posts: 3,368 Titanium Tees

Well you're not supposed to completely submerge the traps, if its the one I'm thinking of, so theres that.

Kill the food source and they will go away. They eat grubs and worms.

You can also try the gummy worms that have chemicals in them to kill them....but dont do that if you have dogs or other animals you dont want to also die.

Posted:

Epic Flash - Motore X F3 / Pro 2.0 7 / Apex 19h - Pro 2.0 8 / Apex 19 - Apex Pro 19 1050Gh HSx1 / MD5 / Phantom X5.5 - SS Mid Slim 2.0

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Dr.FrankenputzDr.Frankenputz Members  895WRX Points: 190Handicap: 13Posts: 895 Golden Tee

Not moles but I used to have gopher/ground squirrel type animals. Tried a few traps without success. Never poisoned as we had a dog. Pellet gun worked the best. After getting 15 or so over about a month period I didn’t see too many; though a few neighbors started to get them; guessing the remaining ones moved to safer spots.
    Can’t wait to see the other responses, good luck. (I’m guessing a caddy shack pic or reference within the next few posts)

Posted:
  • aenematedaenemated Los Angeles, CAMembers  688WRX Points: 822Posts: 688 Golden Tee

Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up and throw away the key.

Posted:

Titleist TS4 9.5°
    Titleist TS2 FW 15°, 18°
    Titleist TS3 Hybrid 22°
    PXG 0211 5-PW
    Miura 52°, 56°, 58° RTG
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

• alfridayalfriday Members  546WRX Points: 152Posts: 546 Golden Tee

A good cat will take care of your problem in very short order. But then, you're stuck with a cat.

Posted:
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members  2656WRX Points: 1,048Posts: 2,656 Titanium Tees

Shovel. Seriously. Dad finds where they have been digging recently and waits them out. Watch for the ground to start moving, hoist them out of their burrow and coup de gras with the shovel.

Posted:
  • Pete O'TubePete O'Tube Members  419WRX Points: 129Handicap: 6Posts: 419 Greens

Get a few tips from Caddyshack?

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 TS Driver Fujikura Atmos 5R
    Mizuno ST190 TS 3W Fujikura Atmos 6R
    Ping G10 3 Hybrid Ping TFC 129 R
    Mizuno JPX Hi Fli 4 hybrid Recoil ESX R
    5 - 6 Mizuno MP18 MMC FliHi Recoil F3 95g R
    7 -W Mizuno MP18 SC Recoil F3 95g R
    53.08 Vokey SM5
    58.10 Vokey SM5
    Ping Sigma G Tyne 34"

Advertisement
  • JeffreySpicoliJeffreySpicoli Members  1957WRX Points: 471Posts: 1,957 Platinum Tees

I’ve done well with these. Just have to place them properly.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/easy-mole-trap

Posted:
  • stickfishstickfish Members  128WRX Points: 91Posts: 128 Fairways

Lightly tamp down a few of the tunnels in a couple of places. Moles will keep their main tunnels open and will push them back open generally within 24 hours. Usually you want a few more traps than you are using but one can be effective. Doesn't hurt to put a bit of graphite or teflon on the harpoon portion that slides on the trap before placing to reduce friction. Place the trap over the tunnel without setting and push the tines down through the soil a few times to create pilot holes for the harpoon mechanism, then raise the times up and set the trap, lowering back over with the tines lined up over the holes and the trigger plate just above the soil line. Check back within a day for activity. Good luck.

Cheers

Posted:
  • stryperstryper Members  3478WRX Points: 974Posts: 3,478 Titanium Tees

A buddy of mine that lives on a golf course uses his putter🤷‍♂️

Posted:
    Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
    Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
    18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
    Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
    Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
    T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members  2678WRX Points: 537Handicap: 11Posts: 2,678 Titanium Tees

A Jack Russell Terrier works well, but your yard wil be torn to shreds. Cats are cleaner and neater.

Posted:
    • Cobra Max 10.5*
    • The Perfect Club 21
    • Callaway BB 7h
    • PING Eye 2+ 7-SW
    • Odyssey VLine
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3539WRX Points: 942Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,539 Titanium Tees

Victor out of sights or Steve Albano's no-mol traps are the best. Need to find the long straight runs, not the zigzag feeding tunnels as those aren't always used again.

Or pay someone that makes a living doing wildlife control work, not a pest company that does bugs.

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Advertisement
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  2066WRX Points: 1,242Posts: 2,066 Platinum Tees

Kill the food source and they will go away. They eat grubs and worms.

I found this to be more effective vs. traps. I would say the shovel / whack a mole is more effective than traps if you have the time.

Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • SNIPERBBBSNIPERBBB Hit Ball Hard SE OhioMembers  3539WRX Points: 942Handicap: 2.9Posts: 3,539 Titanium Tees

You cant kill enough of the moles food. Besides it would be a short term maybe-fix and a disaster for your yard in the long term. Generally you only have a couple moles per acre in a yard. A competent animal damage control/wildlife control trapper can solve the issue within a week.

Posted:
    2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
    TM r15 3 wood
    Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
    Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
    Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
    Vokey SM7 58* M Grind
  • bladestrikerbladestriker No. Cal.Members  1198WRX Points: 132Handicap: 1.4Posts: 1,198 Platinum Tees

100% guaranteed effective, when you see them, dump a bottle of pine-sol in the hole, they won’t be seen again.

Posted:
    Epic Flash sub-zero 9° Ventus Blue 7x
    Epic Flash sub-zero 13.5 hzrdus smoke 80x
    3-pw Mizuno 900 tour PX LZ-6.5
    Mizuno T7 52º 56º 60º PX LZ-6.0
    Taylormade TP copper Juno

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmean
  • Murphy76Murphy76 Members  194WRX Points: 237Posts: 194 Fairways

"Nuke the site from orbit, just to be sure..."

Posted:
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members  3324WRX Points: 892Handicap: 6Posts: 3,324 Titanium Tees

We've used the vibrating posts that are solar powered... I bought the cheapest ones and one broke immediately, but the other is still working and we've been mole free.

I've been told on the traps that you have to find the "main line" and put it over that... I have no idea how they work and don't have any experience using them...

My dog has killed a couple, it wasn't the best for my yard, my wife's sanity, my children's rosy outlook on the world or the carpet she left a dead one on... but she killed it dead.

Posted:

As of 6/5/20
    9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110 X
    13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha X
    18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce X
    6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0
    5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400
    4 iron / utility Sub 70 699 with Proforce 85 gram X
    50, 54, 60 Vokeys
    Tank Counter Balance #7
    Driver and Putter are set for now. Wedges are safe for time being.

Advertisement
  • goondawg goondawg RIP my buddy Members  1979WRX Points: 164Posts: 1,979 Platinum Tees

On -, @smashdn said:

Shovel. Seriously. Dad finds where they have been digging recently and waits them out. Watch for the ground to start moving, hoist them out of their burrow and coup de gras with the shovel.

^^this^^. Don’t bother trying to kill the grubs. Useless waste of time and money. Set traps and/or go out at daybreak with a shovel and watch for them moving around

Posted:
  • Bob CatBob Cat Golfopath Members  2089WRX Points: 851Handicap: ~9Posts: 2,089 Platinum Tees

OP here... trap sprung and upon inspection it looked like one tine came up positive for mole distruction. No new dirt hills suggest success, for the moment.

Thanks for your humorous feedback.

Posted:

"I challenge, transform, and instill confidence in young men through the life lessons learned from the game of golf."

Taylormade M1
    TaylorMade R5 Dual (3) / R580 (7)
    Ping i15 / Zing 2
    Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
    TM Spider Tour Black / SC Futura Phantom
    Titleist ProV1
    Titleist Hybrid 14
    Clicgear 4.0
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Dayton, OhioMembers  945WRX Points: 214Handicap: 16Posts: 945 Golden Tee

I've heard an application of lime on the lawn kills grubs. Kill the grubs and hopefully the moles move on.

Posted:

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.