US Kids Priority Status

leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day...Members Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Jul 19, 2019 4:22pm in Juniors/College Golf Talk #1

Looks like they completely took winning / placing in events out of the equation for determining priority status at the local tour level. Winning or placing in the top only matters in two or three day events moving forward. To me it seems like they finally realized that the local tour fields are pretty weak and allowing kids to get into larger events by simply placing high in their local tours. The priority status afforded to the multi day events is also geared towards building better fields in larger events. From my untrained eyes it sort of looks like they are trying to make this a more competitive tour that holds more clout.

Link here: US Kids Priority Status

edit: I'm wondering what is stopping a local tour director from moving their local tour stops to 'easier' courses so that their kids have the opportunity to score better. Also wondering if there is any rule on whether or not the course has to be a par 72 because playing shorter executive courses with a par 67 would definitely make it easier to score better and get higher status.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

Comments

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Leezer I have to agree
    From what I can tell the are recognizing that some local events are really weak while others are much stronger. I also think US kids is getting a lot of competition from PGA sectionals for juniors and they know they need to have a more competitive worlds event to attract more players from the stronger areas.

• hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 19, 2019 4:45pm #3

This makes sense and is more fair to Little Johnny from Florida who finished 4th place in his stacked Florida local tour with an average score of 76. He will now get invite to a Regional & World over Little Billy from North Dakota who finished 1st place in his local tour with an average score of 90.
    At least in the younger levels (my experience) demand seems high for regional s & worlds. Maybe that changes with older age groups, I dont know. They still will want to fill those fields so they are still going to go down the Priority Status levels as far as they need to to fill the events.

• DallasDallas Members Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

Any idea on how this impacts the 9 hole events? From what I can tell, all of the scoring is based on 18 holes.

• hangontighthangontight Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dallas said:
    Any idea on how this impacts the 9 hole events? From what I can tell, all of the scoring is based on 18 holes.

I had same question. Bet they update pretty quick to clarify that.

• Belmont148Belmont148 Members Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

My daughter is 7 and is showing an interest in golf again. From our experience with USK with my son we were planning on bypassing it all together. But may give it a look this year now that it may shape up to be a little better setup. Time will tell. We do have the luxury of having a really well run tour her locally, even if the USK system in general has been flawed imo.

Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
    F8+ 4W- HZRDUS Black 75 Stiff
    Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
    Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
    Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
  • darter79darter79 Members Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hangontight said:

@Dallas said:

I had same question. Bet they update pretty quick to clarify that.

I sent them an email about that. I’ll update after I hear back.

• wildcatdenwildcatden China Cat Sunflower Members Posts: 949 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be funny seeing all the Instagram posts with kids posting a big "L" after Worlds this year.

-- Forum bugs provide interesting information --

• darter79darter79 Members Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 22, 2019 4:40pm #9

basically cut the scores in 1/2 for 9 holers. But the biggest question is what status will now get you into what even. What will their regional invite schedule look like. Either way does look like score counts more now than placement.

Post edited by darter79 on
  • heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@darter79 said:
    basically cut the scores in 1/2 for 9 homers. But the biggest question is what status will now get you into what even. What will their regional invite schedule look like. Either way does look like score counts more now than placement.

Score should count more than placement. I have said this for quite some time. Was paired in a practice round with a kid from Mississippi that won his local. Kid couldn't break 100 on a good day. Yet, there were really good players on our local tours in Florida that sat at home because they didn't win.

This will stop the Status Chasing. I know kids that would play in US Kids Local Tour Events simultaneously to chase the status for worlds.

I think they have requirements for the Directors on the types of courses they play. Seems like every time we played at less than a Par 72 course they would stretch the long par 4's into Par 5's to make it play as a Par 72.

• Golfingdawg19Golfingdawg19 Members Posts: 411 ✭✭✭✭

I'm all for the scores counting for something but are they taking into account the tournament it was done in and the distances it was done from. My daughter played in the Florida State tournament this year and it played around 4000 yds which is really short. One of the days she shot 73 which is a great score. The next week we played RedWhite Blue and she shot a 78 from 4700 yds which was also a good score for her. If there isn't any consideration for distance that the score was shot from, then people will work the system. Go play the local tour which is very short and shoot some low numbers and there you go.

• tiger1873tiger1873 Members Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Golfingdawg19 said:
    I'm all for the scores counting for something but are they taking into account the tournament it was done in and the distances it was done from. My daughter played in the Florida State tournament this year and it played around 4000 yds which is really short. One of the days she shot 73 which is a great score. The next week we played RedWhite Blue and she shot a 78 from 4700 yds which was also a good score for her. If there isn't any consideration for distance that the score was shot from, then people will work the system. Go play the local tour which is very short and shoot some low numbers and there you go.

There are alway going to be people of game the system. Not much you can do about it. Personally if someone scores that score I have no issue with it.

What I think will happen instead is you see more stroke shaving in local tours. So instead of bogeys all around they turn into par.

• DallasDallas Members Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

I am sure it has happened, but hate to think stroke shaving is something that goes on with any regularity. My son plays in an extremely competitive league and I cannot imagine anyone going for that sort of deal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file