Big Break Sandals Resorts - summer 2010

mrb

Congrats to Carling Coffing
Let the games begin:

Golf Channel’s Big Break series returns for a 13th season in June featuring an all-female cast that will bring golf skills, beauty and brains on the June 21 premiere at 9 p.m. ET. Taking place at Sandals Emerald Bay in Great Exuma, Bahamas, “Big Break Sandals Resorts” will showcase a field of 11 women competing against each other in an attempt to make their dream come true of playing alongside the world’s top golfers. While many of the competitors are friends and travel companions on the road, when it comes to Big Break, those friendships will be put to the test. In addition to other prizes, the winner will receive an exemption to compete in an LPGA event and a Ladies European Tour event.

Golf Channel’s Tom Abbott will make his Big Break debut as host, joining co-host Stephanie Sparks to add insight during the 10-episode series.

Here are the contestants:

AlvarezLili.jpgLili Alvarez (26, El Paso, Texas) – One of Mexico’s elite amateur golfers who grew up competing alongside Lorena Ochoa, was a student at Tulane University in New Orleans and endured the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.

BieberStacey.jpgStacey Bieber (25, Fort Worth, Texas) – Born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, Bieber nearly quit golf after college to pursue a professional career in investment banking.

BradyChris.jpgChris Brady (25, Charlotte, N.C.) – The lone contestant who has had exempt status on the LPGA (2008), Brady hung up her golf clubs when her game and the economy took a downturn in 2009 to pursue an engineering career.

sara+brown.jpg [b]Sara Brown[/b] (24, Tucson, Ariz.) – After a successful collegiate career at Michigan State and a stellar rookie season on the Futures Tour, Brown endured a “sophomore slump” in 2009, to the point where her usual smile turned to frustration, nearly causing her to quit the game.

CoffingCarling.jpg Carling Coffing (24, Middletown, Ohio) – A tough competitor who has overcome enormous odds to achieve her dream to be a professional golfer. Coffing was diagnosed with Type I diabetes at age 5, and after years of giving herself dozens of shots every day, she switched to a diabetic insulin pump in 2008.

DurhamTaryn.jpgTaryn Durham (24, Glasgow, Ky.) – While Durham’s resume stacks up with her fellow competitors, she has an edge over her fellow competitors in that she is the only contestant who has competed in a major championship (2007 U.S. Women’s Open).

OTooleRyann.jpgRyann O’Toole (23, Los Angeles) – The youngest competitor on Big Break Sandals Resorts, O’Toole’s mission is to dominate women’s golf. A recent graduate from UCLA, O’Toole is one of the longest hitters in the field.

RoblesElena.jpgElena Robles (26, Redondo Beach, Calif.) – A fierce competitor who works numerous odd jobs to make ends meet, Robles has a history of having a fiery temper on the course.

SadekarSeema.jpgSeema Sadekar (24, Las Vegas) – In addition to competing full-time on the Futures Tour, Sadekar is heavily involved with her older sister’s golf events company, and also is co-founder of a golf marketing and apparel company.

6529-p.jpgKelly Sheehan (32, Orlando, Fla.) – The lone contestant who has not competed full-time on the professional circuit, but Sheehan has 10 years of experience as a certified PGA of America and LPGA teaching professional.

2345923.jpegMaiya Tanaka (24, San Diego) – Tanaka currently lives out of her car and competes on four professional golf tours (Golden State, California Players, Cactus and the Duramed FUTURES Tours).

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hitting some balls next to Maiya a couple of years ago and spoke to her and her family a bit (actually left her some extra balls for them to hit since I was tired). Very sweet and a nice family. Great control of her wedges, too.

Looks like I'll be interested this time around!

10.5 (8.5) TM Sim2 w/ Smoke Blk 70 6.5  |||  16.5 HL Rogue ST LS w/ Smoke Blk 80 6.5

2i TM P790 w/ Smoke Blk HY 6.5  |||  4-PW Srixon ZX7 w/ S400

50.08 (SM9), 54.13 (TM MG3), 58.12 (SM9) w/ S400  |||  Byron Morgan 007

[quote name='raidernut1234' date='10 May 2010 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1273519562' post='2432900']
Wow, been to great exuma, phenomenal location. This looks like the Old Four seasons that closed last year. If it is... WAIT UNTIL YOU SEE this golf course!!!

[/quote]

You're exactly right, Sandals did take over the resort after the Four Seasons closed. I guess they're trying to market it to a golf-specific audience by having the show there, because when I think of Sandals, I think of honeymooners all over the place. Will be interested to see how they showcase the golf course.

That's a heavy load of Futures Tour players, more than typical for an all female Big Break. I recognized at least 7 or 8 names from Duramed.

Of the ones I'm familiar with, Ryann O'Toole is the best player. She's a long hitter in the Kim Welch/Gerina Mendoza mold, ranking very high in driving distance and par 5 scoring average this year. Ryann seldom misses a cut. If that course is friendly to a thumper, she would be my early pick.

Carling Coffing has a chance to be the star of the lot from a popularity standpoint, if she lasts long enough and they give her a high profile role, like Brenda McLarnon received. Carling is the biggest cinch I've ever seen to be chosen for Big Break. She is articulate and personable, based on all the videos she did for Golf Channel.com last year, spotlighting the Futures Tour.

I despise the apparent new twist, allowing players to decide each other's fate by vote, instead of purely golf results. You could tell they were flirting with that idea in Big Break Disney Golf, allowing players to assign letters during HORSE, with everyone ganging up on Giuliani.

my honeymoon was at a sandals... really nice places they have. should make for some interesting scenery and courses.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Go Seema! I've played with her about twenty times. Awesome girl and she's got game. Maybe my buddies will go back to back since I also know Mike Perez really well. WOOT!

Dr. Sim2 8° w/ RDX blue 60 6.5

3 Wood. Sim2 15° and 19° w/ Diamana 70x

Ui. Callaway x forged ut 21° w/ dg120 x100

4 to GW. Mizuno Pro 223 w/ dg120 x100

SW and Lw. 54° and 58° Milled grind raw w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 1ws, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

clapping.gif Go Carling! Super nice girl! I'm thinkin the show is taped by now but good luck to her anyway!

x2. I don't know her but any long-time Type I diabetic gets my rooting interest!

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

[quote name='swbyps' date='11 May 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1273630071' post='2436055']
Yea....so I just checked out the "lineup" for this next Big Break. There are a bunch of things that I can think of to say but it would all be an injustice. I mean....seriously!?! Hopefully we will see some good golf but honestly who gives a damn! As far as im concerned, they all got game!
[/quote]

If I read your post correct, we are both fans of female Big Breaks. If every Big Break was female only, I would be happy.

[quote name='cheeser' date='11 May 2010 - 09:14 PM' timestamp='1273630480' post='2436074']
[quote name='swbyps' date='11 May 2010 - 10:07 PM' timestamp='1273630071' post='2436055']
Yea....so I just checked out the "lineup" for this next Big Break. There are a bunch of things that I can think of to say but it would all be an injustice. I mean....seriously!?! Hopefully we will see some good golf but honestly who gives a damn! As far as im concerned, they all got game!
[/quote]

If I read your post correct, we are both fans of female Big Breaks. If every Big Break was female only, I would be happy.
[/quote]

Let me help you read it correctly....Those young ladies are HOT!

Is that Sandals a couples only resort? Sure would be a good time to be the Tennis pro or something...the ONLY single guy and all these hot ladies at a romantic couples resort...

I will for sure be watching. I really wish I could play some golf with some hot ladies. I think in the 15 years I played golf I've been paired up with a looker maybe once...not including high school practices of course. There just aren't enough hotties in the golf world.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Carling Coffing's got my vote haha the only northeasterner in the group, I've never seen a girl that looks half that good play golf out east. I'd imagine there are more female golfers out west because they are practically nonexistant where I'm from. The only girls I've ever had on the golf course just ride along with me and get drunk while I play.

[quote name='rblmp32' date='11 May 2010 - 10:31 PM' timestamp='1273631499' post='2436125']
Believe I've hit balls on the range in Charlotte at one course or another next to Chris Brady.
[/quote]
I work with her now, and can't wait to see her on the show. She is a brilliant woman with an amazing career in front of her, golf or no golf. We used to belong to the same club together as well before ending up at the same company and I have played with her......steady driver and everything is put where she wants it off the tee and with the irons. I keep asking her to at least tell me that she was not the first eliminated, but can't get a peep out of her, stupid Golf Channel contracts. :sorry:

My daughter has competed against Sara Brown a few years back when they were in high school It was something else watching Amanda Blumenhurst... Sara Brown, and about a dozen other solid D-1 school bound girls tee it up. The AZ state tourney use to be loaded and you could lose count of all the college coaches there to watch. , Gotta go with the AZ girl.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

Fan of the Big Break Series. I know another thread was started but I thought we could have some fun with it with a Poll or two.
The pics posted are the same pics from Golf Channel so they are certainly PG13.

Edit: When the new thread I posted was combined with this one, of course it deleted the polls. I re-posted under LPGA/Ladies Golf. Hopefully it stays separate so as not to defeat the purpose.

[attachment=594509:Slide1.JPG]
[b]Elena Robles[/b] (26, Redondo Beach, Calif.) A fierce competitor who works numerous odd jobs to make ends meet (substitute teaching, modeling and serving as an extra in television and film), Robles has a history of having a fiery temper on the course. After finding faith and re-dedicating herself to golf in 2009, Robles believes her goal to compete on the LPGA Tour is within reach.

[attachment=594510:Slide2.JPG]
[b]Ryann O'Toole [/b](23, Los Angeles, Calif.)
The youngest competitor on Big Break Sandals Resorts, O’Toole’s mission is to dominate women’s golf. A recent graduate from UCLA – she was a teammate of fellow contestant Maiya Tanaka – O’Toole also is one of the longest hitters in the field, averaging more than 260 yards per drive in tournaments she has played in 2010.

[attachment=594511:Slide3.JPG]
[b]Maiya Tanaka[/b] (24, San Diego, Calif.)
A success story from The First Tee Program, Tanaka currently lives out of her car and competes on four professional golf tours (Golden State, California Players, Cactus and the Duramed FUTURES Tours). Tanaka and fellow Big Break contestant Ryann O'Toole were teammates at UCLA and are longtime friends.

[attachment=594512:Slide4.JPG]
[b]Carling Coffing[/b] (24, Middletown, Ohio)
A sweet, Midwestern young lady on the surface, Coffing is a tough competitor who has overcome enormous odds to achieve her dream to be a professional golfer. Coffing was diagnosed with Type I diabetes at age 5, and after years of giving herself dozens of shots every day, she switched to a diabetic insulin pump in 2008, which is connected to her 24 hours a day. Coffing now competes full-time on the Duramed FUTURES Tour.

[attachment=594513:Slide5.JPG]
[b]Taryn Durham[/b] (24, Glasgow, Ky.)
The quintessential All-American sweetheart, Durham has the looks, the southern charm and southern accent. While Durham’s resume stacks up with her fellow competitors, she has an edge over her fellow competitors in that she is the only contestant who has competed in a Major Championship (2007 U.S. Women’s Open).

[attachment=594514:Slide6.JPG]
[b]Sara Brown [/b](24, Tucson, Ariz.)
After a successful collegiate career at Michigan State University and a stellar rookie season on the Duramed FUTURES Tour, Brown endured a “sophomore slump” in 2009, to the point where her usual smile turned to frustration, nearly causing her to quit the game. Refreshed and energized after a winter hiatus, Brown has her eyes set on winning Big Break Sandals Resorts.

[attachment=594515:Slide7.JPG]
[b]Kelly Sheehan[/b] (32, Orlando, Fla.)
The lone contestant who has not competed full-time on the professional circuit, Sheehan plans to channel her 10 years of experience as a certified PGA of America and LPGA teaching professional to overcome the various challenges facing her on Big Break Sandals Resorts.

[attachment=594516:Slide8.JPG]
[b]Seema Sadekar[/b] (24, Las Vegas, Nev.)
One of the most fashionable players on the women’s golf circuit – she has a custom-made golf bag covered in faux diamonds and wears stylish golf attire – Sadekar always manages to be noticed wherever she goes. In addition to competing full-time on the Duramed FUTURES Tour, Sadekar is heavily involved with her older sister's golf events company, and also is co-founder of a golf marketing and apparel.

[attachment=594517:Slide9.JPG]
[b]Stacey Bieber[/b] (25, Fort Worth, Texas)
Born and raised in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, Bieber nearly quit golf after college to pursue a professional career in investment banking. Realizing she could not give up her dream of one day competing on the LPGA Tour, she re-dedicated herself to the game. Her goal is to be on the LPGA Tour in 2011.

[attachment=594518:Slide10.JPG]
[b]Chris Brady[/b] (25, Charlotte, N.C.)
The lone contestant who had exempt status on the LPGA Tour (2008), Brady hung up her golf clubs when her game and the economy took a downturn in 2009 to pursue an engineering career. Big Break Sandals Resorts will be her test to see if she has the competitive fire and passion to resume her golf career and attempt to return to the LPGA Tour.

[attachment=594519:Slide11.JPG]
[b]Lili Alvarez [/b](26, El Paso, Texas) –
One of Mexico's elite amateur golfers who grew up competing alongside Lorena Ochoa, Alvarez's fun loving personality is infectious on the Duramed FUTURES Tour. A student at Tulane University in New Orleans who endured the devastation of Hurricane Katrina, Alvarez learned to appreciate life to the fullest.

[attachment=594520:Slide12.JPG]

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos