so who do you jabronis play with?

MtlJeff

Simple question....i mean we talk about ourselves a lot....but what kind of golfers do you play with? And what kind of golfer are you? Do you have a regular group? Do you have a bunch of joker friends who drink beer all round? Do you play in money games with guys at your club? Are your friends better then you or worse?

Talk about the games you play in....when you are out on the course

I'll start: I play at a club with a lot of low indexes. I generally play with many different people. On sundays we do a multi group skins game where pairings are fairly random, so i play with a ton of guys. Saturdays i generally play with any one of 10-15 different people depending on the week. Mostly they are really good guys, who like to play in small money games, nothing crazy

I also will play public courses with a few of my close friends. a couple of them are pure beginners, and when we go we generally drink a ton and don't keep score really. I also have another group of friends who are all in the 2-5 range. There's 3 of them and we will play a two man best ball match. It generally gets heated, we like each other but are very competitive

how bout you guys?

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play alone generally, so as to keep up that lone wolf/unapproachable image I've worked so hard on.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

These days I pretty much either walk on as a single and expect to get paired up with some folks or play with a few guys I've met in the new neighborhood. I'm trying to put together a weekly game for this summer with 6 or so guys figuring we'll usually have at least a foursome. For me these days, I probably have 2-3 beers on an average round. I stopped getting mad at the game several years back, so it's just a relaxing few hours outside.

I usually either play with my boss when our schedules work out or with my weekly group which is usually 3-4 other people that we split up if needed. My boss is a bogey golfer and the other group is all hacks including myself since i just started playing recently.

I really want to try and start playing with low handicappers, i feel like ill improve quicker that way.

[center] Titleist 915D2 8.5* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di6s
Titleist 915F 15* - Graphite Design Tour Ad-Di7s[/center]
[center] Titleist 915H 21* - Aldila Rogue 85 S
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour S
Titleist Vokey SM5 50*F, 56*S, 60*K - KBS Hi-Rev S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2[/center]

[center][url="http://invite.golfmat.ch/m/I6G4g3MqEn"]Find me on GolfMatch App.[/url] - TJ O[/center]

I mostly play with other employees at the course where I work part time. Mostly single digit guys. Sometimes we play small money games, but nothing crazy as a few of them are retired.

I play with the club pro a lot in the summer, in the afternoon when he gets off, if he doesn't have lessons scheduled.

I also play with a couple of guys that do the mini tour circuit. One has played a couple of tour events in the past few years.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

In the summer there is usually a group of 12-20 guys at the course who go out in groups. We get there about the same time and usually group up by order of who gets there first. The weekends are a lot of the same guys, plus a whole bunch of guys who have to work during the week, lots of tourney's. HC's range from 3-20 and it is mostly friendly.

There is a quota pool, skins on weekends and a couple of side matches. Nothing outrageous, but it makes things more interesting.

Callaway GBB Epic 9*, Aldila Rogue
Ping i25 3w, G400 3hy
Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
Vokey 50* SM7 F, 56* SM7 S, 61* SM5 Raw M
Newport 2 Select

I play with a regular group on Wednesday afternoon, all four are single digits. Small money. Really good group of guys, I look forward to Wednesdays quite a bit

Then I play on a less regular basis on the public course with three of my best friends. All single digits again. No money in this one but a lot of trash talk, mostly directed at one particular guy. He just shakes his head because he knows it's coming.

I'm really fortunate, I have really good guys to play with

I play a decent amount of golf with my father. I also have some friends from way back in high school/college that are relatively close that I'll meet up with, and some co-workers. I don't play as often as I'd like.

I've found the last few years I've distanced myself from playing with several co-workers, as they talk about their score non-stop and are highly competitive but they tend to make up the rules as they go along. I don't mind if people play by their own set of rules, but matching scorecards with people after they've shaved 5 or more strokes off their score is always a bit weird. Seems like it becomes a big ego game. I wish that someone who shot a 101 saying they shot a 93 when I shot a legit 89 didn't bug me, but sometimes it does.

I don't play matches or anything like that, aside from one annually with relatives. I'm more of a me against the course guy. My father is the same way, so I got used to that. I don't need money on the line or a match to enjoy a round - I don't mind those who do, I just generally don't like worrying about what other people are doing on the course.

As far as the type of goler I am - hard to say. Any sub 85 round for me is a good one. Any round 85 to 95 where I'm hitting the ball well but getting a little sloppy around the greens, I'll take. I played all through high school (early 30's now), and generally I find that I can go out and shoot low 40's on a front nine and just tire out on the back. So I may end up with a 92 where I had a lot of really, really well played holes and two or three 7's or 8's. I only play 6 - 10 times a year. I get a lot of people I get paired with or see me at the driving range complimenting me and thinking I'm a lot better than I am. I appreciate the compliments but I've always struggled with putting together 18 solid holes of golf. I remember a round last year I went out with a buddy, and we got paired with two guys our age. Really nice people. The front nine I was maybe +1 through five holes, some of the toughest on the course, and all jokes aside with WRX blades they started checking out my bag and asking about my clubs. Little did they know I wasn't going to finish the round a few over par. I ended up taking two doubles the rest of the front nine for a 43. Then on the back, I was just over 50. I didn't even look like the same golfer who had started the round. Some of my friends are the same way and it's a riot.

I play at a semi private club been there for 4years.the guys I play with are from all walks and are awesome people for the most part.we play men's league and Ryder cups,club tourneys etc .I enjoy a round where we consume a few but depends on the day and who I'm playing with!I enjoy recognizing who I'm going to bevpartnered up with I agree that playing with a previous post that playing with low cappers elevates my game.I just totally enjoy golf even when I play poorly,Iknow it sounds cliche but it beats the work option.we had closest to the keg this past year at men's league,a beer keg was placed on the fairway about 225 from the tee on the first hole,each week whose ever ball was closest was recorded and the golfer with the majority of close drives over the season won a full keg.I enjoy our match play events,unseated ome big dogs last year,got beat quite handily at times as well.sorry for the rant

For the most part I play with a group of guys(5) that all flirt with par or better and two that visit the 60's on a regular basis. I have a mid-capper, childhood friend, I play casual rounds with, on a semi-regular basis too

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-AW PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

Spider tour

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmea

I play with the same guy pretty much every weekend. Occasionally we'll pair up with some other people we know. However, usually, it's the two of us and two randoms every Saturday morning bright and early. We don't usually drink when we play, but we joke around, give each other s*** for bad shots, terrible putts, and keep the mood light.

I got 5 good buddies at the course (semi private) that I play with all of the time, were all 19-22 scratch players, games usually 2 man best ball $10 a hole with carry overs and unlimited presses, things can get a little dicey and rarely last only 18 holes, save most of our drinking for after the round but usually have a couple on the course.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I play with my Dad a lot, who usually goes over 100. Also play with a couple childhood buddies, one of whom is an 80's shooter and the other one around 100.

But my main golf buddy is a guy from my golf league who is slightly better than me, especially if we keep it under 6500 yards or so. He's a little over 20 years older than me and seldom shoots over 80. Probably averages 78?

Lastly on Wednesday nights I play in a beer league. It's a good time but there's no scratch players or anything.

I always have to describe the people I play with by average score rather than handicap. I literally don't know a single person with a handicap. Money games always get negotiated on the first tee, usually low money nassaus.

Who: Mostly with two buddies – and all three of us are lefties. We know each other for many years.

Alcohol: A sip of Cognac when we play a birdie.

Money: The one with the worst score pays the drinks after the round

What kind of golfer: Here’s a typical situation on the course: After the tee shot my buddies and me are on the fairway. Buddy A has to play first, about 170 yards to the pin:

Me: ….alright, about 170 yards to the pin for you.
A: …about 170 yards or exactly 170 yards?
Me: ….exactly 170 yards. To the pin.
A: ….. sure?
Me: …yeah, sure!
A: ….why are you so sure?
Me: ….i measured it with the laser!
A: …is that precise enough?
Me: …it is…. 170 yards!
A: ….and you didn’t wiggle or wobble with the laser?
Me: …nope, I didn’t – it’s definitely 170 yards!
B: …hey guys, what’s up??
Me: …A does not believe me that it’s exactly 170 yards!
A: ….B, do you think this is 170 yards?
B: …. Possible, yes….
A: …so you’re not sure!
B: …I didn’t measure it!
Me: ….come on, it’s definitely 170 yards…..
A: ….na, not sure…..
Me: ..alright, measure it yourself!
A: …(measures with the laser)
Me: ….so?
A: …..169 yards……
Me: …. That’s what I said!
A: ….you said 170 yards…..
Me: …. Yeah, you’re right – but does it really matter?
A: …it does! It definitely does!
B: ….hey guys, what’s up?
Me: …he’s playing…..
A: …… hmmmmmmmm…….
Me: ….that’s an easy 7 iron for you…..
A: ….a 7 iron…..???
Me: ….yeah, sure….a 7 iron and you’re pin high….
A: …..not so sure….
Me: ….what ‘not so sure’? you hit your 7 iron 175, so it’s an easy 7 iron….
B: …guys, come on, what’s up there…..
Me: …hold on, B! Just a second
B: ….they are already pushing from the back….
Me: ….yeah, I know…. Just a second….
B: …. Go ahead A, hit your %&#” iron…..
A: ….don’t stress me!!!!
Me: ….just a second, B……
A: …..I take a 6 iron….
Me: ….what? a 6 iron??
A: ….yeah, I take a 6 iron….
Me: ….you are going to overshoot the green with a 6 iron….
A: …..not if I make an easy swing….
B: ….alright guys, you HAVE to play now……
A: …..now shut up, will you?! Please…….
B: …oh oh….easy……. what’s wrong
A: …(murmuring) …..unbelievable…. does not respect the etiquette….
B: …what do you say?
Me: ….he’s saying he’s playing now…..
B: …high time…!!
Me: ….so hit your bloody 7 iron and off we are…..
A: ….na, not the 7 iron……
Me: …why not the 7 iron…..? that’s exactly YOUR distance for a 7 iron….
A: …I play an 8 iron …..
Me: ….what??????
A: ….8 iron…
Me: ….are you kidding me?
A: …..or maybe better a 6 iron….
Me: …why not an easy 7 iron….. why don’t you play a 7 iron???
A: …(slightly furios) ..because I left my bloody 7 iron at the driving range……..

I play at a local muni mostly. We have a regular group that plays every Friday afternoon, Saturday morning, and Sunday morning. The group consists of about 60 guys, but we usually get no more than 40 or so on any given round. Also play regularly with buddies outside of that group. Sometimes play the course behind my house (also public) by myself or with the wife.

No alcohol during the round unless it's a "free beer" scramble, then I probably drink too much, but it's just for fun anyway. Plenty of alcohol with the guys after our weekend games waiting for the other groups to come in.

Lots of betting within the group on weekend matches. Mostly large volumes of smaller bets, plus the $25 bet for the team game and skins. Can lose maybe $60-$80 per day if you don't win any of your bets, which is rare.

Good question Jeff. I enjoy seeing some of the responses.

As a 5-6 handicap, I'm one of the better "B" players in the group. Occasionally I'll be asked to play as an A when some of the regulars don't show up. I'd guess I'm in the top 20% of the group, so many guys with higher caps playing.

Edit: I am not a jabroni... Carry on.

TaylorMade SLDR 430 9* with Project X 7C3 6.0
Callaway X Hot Pro 3Deep 13* with Aldila ProtoPYPE 80 S
TaylorMade UDI 1-iron 16* with Dynamic Gold X100
Cleveland 588TT 4-PW with KBS C-Taper X
Scratch 47, 51, and 56 wedges with Dynamic Gold X7 8-iron shafts
Odyssey Metal-X 7 Mid 385g cut to 38" and counterbalanced
TaylorMade Lethal / TaylorMade Tour Preferred X

When I'm not otherwise occupied with work - which is most of the time - my schedule is:

Tuesday Afternoon with a group of 7-8 guys. Small stakes skins and several good players. Handicaps range from 0-5. Rarely will more than $20 bucks change hands. That is at my home club in my home town.

Weds/Thurs I travel about 50 milles to a club that I'm a regional member and there is a standing game that will have 12-20 players. That game is more expensive. $25 skins pool for the entire group and one closest to the hole on a tough par three. Games within the group will vary but if you go out and shoot 80+ then you're going to be paying out. $100-200 would be a big loss or win. No handicaps in this game and we have everything from former college golfwrx in their late 20s to a 55 year old guy that happened to win our state open & am when he was in college.

Summer weekends are occupied with about 5-8 tournaments that most of my golf friends have all played for years. 3 stroke play, 1 match play, 1 2-man Team Best Ball/Alt shot and a few bigger money 2-Man scrambles.

I'd say the average handicap of most of these guys is 4-5 range with some true scratch or even slightly + handicaps. The guys that creep into the 6-7-8 range are all players that were considerably better in their younger days than their current handicap would suggest.....makes some of the money games dangerous. A 40 year old guy playing to a current 4-5 but was a legit scratch in college can occasionally really get it going.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I play a weekly 4 ball match play game with 3 other guys from work. We play for a crappy home made trophy. The winning team takes it home until the next week. After the round we generally hit the club for a burger basket and recap the round. I look forward to it very much. Other then that I play with a few other buddies or you'll find me on and around the practice green. Some times someone will come along and invite me to play or I go out by myself for a practice round.

I can spend 3 hours chopping and putting and I wonder where the time went when I have to leave. I work the over night shift so I hit the rack when I get home and get to the course around 2:30. The place is usually deserted and I have the run of the place. I just check in at the pro shop and Im off.

Handicap 7.7

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1392345629' post='8664333']
Simple question....i mean we talk about ourselves a lot....but what kind of golfers do you play with? And what kind of golfer are you? Do you have a regular group? Do you have a bunch of joker friends who drink beer all round? Do you play in money games with guys at your club? Are your friends better then you or worse?

Talk about the games you play in....when you are out on the course

I'll start: I play at a club with a lot of low indexes. I generally play with many different people. On sundays we do a multi group skins game where pairings are fairly random, so i play with a ton of guys. Saturdays i generally play with any one of 10-15 different people depending on the week. Mostly they are really good guys, who like to play in small money games, nothing crazy

I also will play public courses with a few of my close friends. a couple of them are pure beginners, and when we go we generally drink a ton and don't keep score really. I also have another group of friends who are all in the 2-5 range. There's 3 of them and we will play a two man best ball match. It generally gets heated, we like each other but are very competitive

how bout you guys?
[/quote]

My guess is that you are either not married or you have a very understanding wife.
I play with a regular foursome and we occasionally get a second foursome and mix it up. Also in a league where we have ~60 guys and we pair up randomly every week. At work we have a few guys that play about once a month.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

We have a regular weekend game where we tee off as soon as it is light enough. Everyone throws in $10 for s skins game. Anywhere from 6-20 guys involved throughout the year. It is generally a fun group of guys who all just want to compete and play golf. We generally play pretty fast so the front nine is usually done in just over an hour and I can be back home as the wife and kids are getting up and moving. Sometimes they will come out to the course and I play another round with them.

We have a group of 12 guys, age range from 35 to 60 with handicaps of 6 - 14. We play 8-10 formal events over the nicer courses in the Chicago and northern Illinois area. It's cumulative points for the season with points earned in each event based on net score, skins, in round match play and closest to the pin. In aggregate, the purse is around 5K or a bit more depending on how many play in each event. The winner at the end of the year earns "The Cup" a tall ugly trophy that no one's wife/significant other ever wants to see in their house. In the 15 years we've been doing this, there has never been a back to back winner.

A subset of that same group generally plays on Saturday mornings with 4-6 guys and that's just a net skins game with a ton of individual heads up side bets. Last year we played about 40-45 different courses. On Sunday mornings I usually walk on at one of the muni's in our area which are really nice for park district courses.

I've never thought of it before but no one drinks when we play but a few beverages after the round are more than common. The two youngest guys in our group are true GolfWRX long with the youngest guy easily 275+ off the tee consistently. We're lucky his short game doesn't hold up. Verbal abuse is very common and as hard as this is to believe, only on 1 occasion has there ever been a challenge of cheating. That gentleman no longer is invited to join us.

One of the ironic outcomes of this group has been the lowering of everyone's handicap and in some cases by up to 10 strokes. The competition has had everyone work on their games a lot more. With the exception of 1 guy, everyone has changed clubs numerous times.

Who do I play with?

IT DOESN'T MATTER who I play with!

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

I play by myself alot, or with a couple of my Air Force buddies about once a month if I'm lucky. They are both high 80's/low 90's guys.

I met some older guys where I work now who play, and I've been out with them a couple of times. Same deal, mostly lower to high 90s, some days better or worse. One guy is a high 70/low 80s guy but I've only played with him a couple of times and had pretty poor rounds both times.

I have another buddy from High School who I found out lives here in Austin, and we have been playing once or twice a month. He is around my level, somedays I beat him and vice versa.

I also play with my FIL when he is up to it, but he has some health concerns that keep him from playing often.

Would like to have a steady group to play with at least once a week but I have been having a hard time finding people around my age (32) who are as into golf as I am.

TaylorMade Sim2 9.5* Fujikura Ventus Black Velocore 6x
TaylorMade Sim2 Ti 15* Graphite Design Tour AD TP 7X
Mizuno Pro FliHi 3i Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4-GW DG 120 X100

Mizuno T24 54, 58 DG S400 
Bettinardi BB1 Limited Blackout 

#InsideTMag2013 

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1392348068' post='8664583']
I mostly play with other employees at the course where I work part time. Mostly single digit guys. Sometimes we play small money games, but nothing crazy as a few of them are retired.

I play with the club pro a lot in the summer, in the afternoon when he gets off, if he doesn't have lessons scheduled.

I also play with a couple of guys that do the mini tour circuit. One has played a couple of tour events in the past few years.
[/quote]I pretty much do the same thing...except the mini tour thing. Sometimes we will play for the privlage of joining our resident pro at a NCGA event. So how's the weather there in N. Viriginia?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Mostly friends from high school, the courses I used to work at, or friends of friends who belong to private courses. Some of these guys are one in the same. Theres probably about 15 of us who are all below 10 handicaps. Some are scratch, some are closer to 10s. We usually divvy up teams based on ability and do a two man best ball with a $5 nassau, presses allowed at any point, with $5 dots on 3s and 5s. If we only have 3 guys playing, we will do a $2-3 dots game.

I have 3 groups: My early Sat & Sun morning crew of about a dozen guys that range in handicap from +2 to about 5 hdcp, a group of about 8 guys that want to play just so they can get out of the house and drink (high cappers) and lastly clients I take out for business golf.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Early Sunday morning Skins game includes 16 - 24 players from +3 to 12 or so handicaps which is a blast. Random pairings.

Then I get to play with some friends who are also mid single digit handicaps 1 or 2 days during the week when the course traffic is practically nil. <-- This is my favorite kind of golf next to tournament golf.

Additionally, for the past couple of years I've played in Monday Pro-Ams with my home course club pro and 2 other Am's 4-5 times during the summer.

Try to avoid the actual course over the weekend except for the early Sunday morning Skins game. Range and practice green time is Saturday.