Sad/Good Revelation Yesterday On Shirt Sizes

So I was at a couple of golf stores yesterday, and every time I go in, I lament that I can never buy any shirts because they don't fit. I'm VERY small at 5'8" and 136lbs, so the only brand that I know fits is Puma Sport Lux (tailored fit), but I'm cheap and I'm not about to drop $85 on a shirt, so I wait for sales. Puma's regular stuff used to fit, but they recently switched to their "Performance Fit" which just means it got wider and longer everywhere....so it's just plain huge now. I've been pretty upset about it and not willing to try other brands because that Puma stuff just looks good to me.

Anyway, I was walking around yesterday and it hit me. I glanced over at the boys section and saw a youth XL. I looked around a few times to see if anyone was looking, grabbed a couple of shirts, and went off to the dressing room. OMG, the youth XL fits like a shirt should! I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but at the same time, full retail on them is only $40...so sales will be even better!

I'm putting this out there for the small guys who have a hard time finding well-fitting gear. I know there's got to be at least one or two of you guys like me.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha. Unfortunately, I learned that trick about 7 years ago. Luckily, since then I have bulked up (both muscle and fat). So now, SM works for most companies. I still have to be careful though or some polos get too long in the torso and arms.

It seems that smaller/euro sizing is exclusive to a higher price tag. :(

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

Puma Sport Lux is awesome, just discovered it last week! I'm 5'9" 130 and the small fits perfectly.

Just ordered 2 more today- check out PGA Superstore they have some great prices on em right now.

Cobra Amp Cell
Callaway XR 3W (15*)
Callaway X2 Hot Hybrid (19*, 22*)
Callaway Apex (Recoil 110 F4 5-GW)
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 (54*, 58*)
Odyssey MXM #9HT (SS Flatso 1.0)

[quote name='GoPokes55' timestamp='1441144270' post='12247362']
Puma Sport Lux is awesome, just discovered it last week! I'm 5'9" 130 and the small fits perfectly.

Just ordered 2 more today- check out PGA Superstore they have some great prices on em right now.
[/quote]

I have 5 Sport Lux shirts and one regular Puma one. The regular (yarn dye stripe) from 2013 fits perfectly as well. Not too loose, not quite tailored. Anything made this year sucks though. Kids shirts it is!

at 6"2" and 255 ... I have the opposite problem. Some 2XL stuff is like a medium and some stuff would fit Hulk Hogan

I will admit I have bought ladies XL FJ gloves before for colours

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

[quote name='cardoustie' timestamp='1441210139' post='12251424']
at 6"2" and 255 ... I have the opposite problem. Some 2XL stuff is like a medium and some stuff would fit Hulk Hogan

I will admit I have bought ladies XL FJ gloves before for colours
[/quote]

This is a safe place to admit those things.

[quote name='brianhorne8' timestamp='1441039465' post='12239696']
So I was at a couple of golf stores yesterday, and every time I go in, I lament that I can never buy any shirts because they don't fit. I'm VERY small at 5'8" and 136lbs, so the only brand that I know fits is Puma Sport Lux (tailored fit), but I'm cheap and I'm not about to drop $85 on a shirt, so I wait for sales. Puma's regular stuff used to fit, but they recently switched to their "Performance Fit" which just means it got wider and longer everywhere....so it's just plain huge now. I've been pretty upset about it and not willing to try other brands because that Puma stuff just looks good to me.

Anyway, I was walking around yesterday and it hit me. I glanced over at the boys section and saw a youth XL. I looked around a few times to see if anyone was looking, grabbed a couple of shirts, and went off to the dressing room. OMG, the youth XL fits like a shirt should! I'm a little ashamed to admit it, but at the same time, full retail on them is only $40...so sales will be even better!

I'm putting this out there for the small guys who have a hard time finding well-fitting gear. I know there's got to be at least one or two of you guys like me.
[/quote]

That is wild. Glad to see you found something that fits AND is cheap!

I have the opposite problem. I am 6'2" 230 and am stuck in a flux between L/XL. The larges untucked fit great, but one the golf course I always tuck my shirt in so I usually go for the XL. The problem with a lot of XL is instead of getting LONGER they almost always just get WIDER! I need more length not width LOL.

I have found that the Under Armour athletic style XL fit me the best, but it is super frustrating being "in between clubs" on shirt size.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

http://www.sears.com/toughskins-boy-s-jersey-knit-polo-shirt-striped/p-040VA81914712P?prdNo=10&blockNo=10&blockType=G10

I am in a different dilemma, I was 5' 10" and 275lbs in March, today I am 5' 10" 225lbs (passive brag).

I've had to buy clothes 3 times and am suddenly finding brands that I never even considered in the past.

[quote name='bruinsPATSirish' timestamp='1441214782' post='12251942']

[/quote]

I have the opposite problem. I am 6'2" 230 and am stuck in a flux between L/XL. The larges untucked fit great, but one the golf course I always tuck my shirt in so I usually go for the XL. The problem with a lot of XL is instead of getting LONGER they almost always just get WIDER! I need more length not width LOL.

I have found that the Under Armour athletic style XL fit me the best, but it is super frustrating being "in between clubs" on shirt size.
[/quote]

It's not that no one makes fitted gear. Nike, UA, Puma, etc all do, but NO STORES carry it. I have yet to find a fitted UA shirt at a store. It's all loose fit. Same for Nike and Puma.

[/quote]

Next you're going to tell us there are great deals on airfares in coach to Europe and what a good deal the 3 series BMW is!

--Glad you found some good deals on stuff that works

[quote name='landolakes' timestamp='1441217993' post='12252206']
Next you're going to tell us there are great deals on airfares in coach to Europe and what a good deal the 3 series BMW is!

[/quote]

Ha! What if I told you my wife and I are flying to Vietnam next month for $650 a person round trip?

[quote name='brianhorne8' timestamp='1441227234' post='12253276']
[quote name='landolakes' timestamp='1441217993' post='12252206']

[/quote]

Ha! What if I told you my wife and I are flying to Vietnam next month for $650 a person round trip?
[/quote]

I would tell you to double check the landing gear lol

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

[/quote]

[/quote]I am 6' 2'' at 320 I have found that 3x long fit me good. In our area 2 good places to look are at Hamricks up by Lowes on the 17 BP or Burke's Outlet in Surfside. To be so tall I am short legged I only wear 32 length in pants so I have to have shirts in long length due to my long torso.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

When I was first married I had small feet - size 8. One day I discovered that boys 7.5 in some brands fit perfectly. Saved a bunch of cash. As I got older my older feet got bigger - strange, I know.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

[quote name='brianhorne8' timestamp='1441215758' post='12252004']

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's not that no one makes fitted gear. Nike, UA, Puma, etc all do, but NO STORES carry it. I have yet to find a fitted UA shirt at a store. It's all loose fit. Same for Nike and Puma.
[/quote]

What about factory or outlet stores? You gotta have a few in Denver! I bought all my UA/Puma gear at the outlet mall just North of me. I used to hit Nike, UA, Adidas, Oakley, and Puma 2-3 times a week when I worked down the block. The employees knew me and knew exactly what I was looking for. I'd head straight to the sale rack, take a quick look and then be on my way. It was humorous. They must have thought I was a freak. However, I was able to find some pretty damn good deals.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='blink3665' timestamp='1441234511' post='12253862']
What about factory or outlet stores? You gotta have a few in Denver! I bought all my UA/Puma gear at the outlet mall just North of me. I used to hit Nike, UA, Adidas, Oakley, and Puma 2-3 times a week when I worked down the block. The employees knew me and knew exactly what I was looking for. I'd head straight to the sale rack, take a quick look and then be on my way. It was humorous. They must have thought I was a freak. However, I was able to find some pretty damn good deals.
[/quote]

All my Nike pants come from the outlets. Small waist helps for sure there. And budgetgolf.com runs amazing deals from time to time as well.

I have almost a polar opposite issue

I am 6'4" 240lb and i am strong but also flabby, it's hard to describe really.

Anyway I want to fit in a XL, but it is no long enough, they ALWAYS come untucked. Also, UA, Puma never fit ever, way too tight

Nike I found has longer shirts, so 80% of my polos are nike golf shirts. Adidas fit but are not tuckable. Greg Norman line is tuckable but I find my tastes don't match their line.

I really wish I could find some XLT golf shirts somewhere. The only one I have is a "foundry" housebrand one from JCP.

[quote name='jasonbird110' timestamp='1441246046' post='12254848']

Anyway I want to fit in a XL, but it is no long enough, they ALWAYS come untucked. Also, UA, Puma never fit ever, way too tight

Nike I found has longer shirts, so 80% of my polos are nike golf shirts. Adidas fit but are not tuckable. Greg Norman line is tuckable but I find my tastes don't match their line.

I really wish I could find some XLT golf shirts somewhere. The only one I have is a "foundry" housebrand one from JCP.
[/quote]

Have you tried the new Puma "Performance Fit"? Wider in the shoulders and longer sleeves. It might work well for you. I know they're too long for me, even in a small. Could work well for you!

[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1441232961' post='12253732']
When I was first married I had small feet - size 8. One day I discovered that boys 7.5 in some brands fit perfectly. Saved a bunch of cash. As I got older my older feet got bigger - strange, I know.
[/quote]

I researched this not too long ago because it happened to me also with shoe size going up. Your feet don't actually keep growing they just flatten out and get longer. If anyone cares. You probably don't. Back to lurking........

[/quote]

Are you Phil Mickelson? (w/sub-cutaneous fat as he calls it)

[quote name='alange20' timestamp='1441279025' post='12255936']
[quote name='RSinSG' timestamp='1441232961' post='12253732']
[/quote]

I researched this not too long ago because it happened to me also with shoe size going up. Your feet don't actually keep growing they just flatten out and get longer. If anyone cares. You probably don't. Back to lurking........
[/quote]

I don't doubt you - but dang, from 7.5 to 9? I know they say cops have flat feet but I never really walked a beat for that long.

"[color=#282828]Back to lurking........" LOL - one of the better lines on here. BTW - welcome to the site. [/color]

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

I am of similar size and can fit into most brand's Small size. Problem is, Golf Galaxy, etc. only seem to stock one shirt per design in that size, and when it's gone, it's gone. Very hard to find size Small sometimes. Sale racks are full of XL, XXL, etc.

My club's pro shop doesn't usually stock anything smaller than Large...I guess the pro has figured out that we have a lot of fat guys as members.

I have a similar shoe problem .. 12.5 XW .. which is why I find Nike running shoes in the clear out section of outlets in the USA ($25 sometimes !) and for golf I just get MyJoys now, off the shelf is no chance

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

maidegolf.com has slim fit in everything, great fabric, and you can google the 20% off promo code for first time buyers. Definitely worth checking out

Taylormade Stealth+
Titleist TSi2 5W
PXG 0317x 22°
PXG Gen3 0311P 4i

PXG Gen4 0311T 5i-Gw
JP Golf Premier Wedge 54° & 58°
Kari Lajosi Damascus LP808

[quote name='dbleag' timestamp='1441282348' post='12256142']

[/quote]

Are you Phil Mickelson? (w/sub-cutaneous fat as he calls it)
[/quote]

I think it's just flab/skin from going from 400lbs to 240lbs lol