SuperSpeed Golf training system

So I'm trying to formulate how I'm going to create my own sticks and going off of the heavier/lighter %'s, I have the following 3 weights to make:

I rounded the numbers to make them a bit more even and easier to accomplish. I have theee 75x shafts on the way, and I figure once cut and gripped should weigh around the 70-75g weight each. I'm thinking of just ordering three 200g weights, and once bored out adding either lead tape or washers until the weights are correct. I figure this will be easier than messing with different size weights overall.

I'm excited to get this stuff in and start putting it together. I got a SS monitor from a fellow WRX member so once all is said and done I should be in for right around $160ish including the SS monitor. Not too shabby in my book.

Once gripped won't they weigh around 125g? 75g shaft + 50g grip. Are you gonna get calibration weights? I think I recall someone posting that drilling out the weights reduces weight by 15g.

You are 100% correct. I just weighed my shaft, Rogue MAX 75x, Callaway tip and NDMC align and it’s at 135g. What I will have to do then is a 150g weight for my lightest then a 200g weight for the other 2. If it’s off by +- 5g I sincerely doubt it’s going to be the end of the world.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

So I'm trying to formulate how I'm going to create my own sticks and going off of the heavier/lighter %'s, I have the following 3 weights to make:

I rounded the numbers to make them a bit more even and easier to accomplish. I have theee 75x shafts on the way, and I figure once cut and gripped should weigh around the 70-75g weight each. I'm thinking of just ordering three 200g weights, and once bored out adding either lead tape or washers until the weights are correct. I figure this will be easier than messing with different size weights overall.

I'm excited to get this stuff in and start putting it together. I got a SS monitor from a fellow WRX member so once all is said and done I should be in for right around $160ish including the SS monitor. Not too shabby in my book.

Once gripped won't they weigh around 125g? 75g shaft + 50g grip. Are you gonna get calibration weights? I think I recall someone posting that drilling out the weights reduces weight by 15g.

You are 100% correct. I just weighed my shaft, Rogue MAX 75x, Callaway tip and NDMC align and it's at 135g. What I will have to do then is a 150g weight for my lightest then a 200g weight for the other 2. If it's off by +- 5g I sincerely doubt it's going to be the end of the world.

Sounds good. Curious to hear how you're gonna make them. Keep us posted. And post pics.

You are 100% correct. I just weighed my shaft, Rogue MAX 75x, Callaway tip and NDMC align and it's at 135g. What I will have to do then is a 150g weight for my lightest then a 200g weight for the other 2. If it's off by +- 5g I sincerely doubt it's going to be the end of the world.

Sounds good. Curious to hear how you're gonna make them. Keep us posted. And post pics.

If I end up doing the calibration weights I’ll just take them to my dads shop. He’s a blacksmith and has pretty much every tool I could ever need to make it work.

I’ll probably end up using his drill press to for the boreing of the holes. I guess I could always just use the 200g weights and lathe some off if need be.

Out of curiosity how much do the shafts need to be tipped for an X? I have very little club building experience.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

If I end up doing the calibration weights I'll just take them to my dads shop. He's a blacksmith and has pretty much every tool I could ever need to make it work.

I'll probably end up using his drill press to for the boreing of the holes. I guess I could always just use the 200g weights and lathe some off if need be.

Out of curiosity how much do the shafts need to be tipped for an X? I have very little club building experience.

That's awesome that you have access to your dad's tools. Because of that it might be cheaper to just buy round bar stock as opposed to calibration weights. Just a thought. As for tipping the shaft, do you have to do that?

Got my components in the mail yesterday and I should be able to put them together in the next couple days. I read on one of the original pages that someone put some ferrules on because of the “sheer point” or something. Is this necessary? I haven’t seen the actual SuperSpeed Sticks but do they have them on there?

My plan was actually going to be to bore through the entire weight to have a bit more of the shaft actually in the weight, almost like the old Bore Through drivers and woods. Plus i figure it’ll be easier to add weight to get them to spec.

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

MODS can we break off this thread into two parts? One for the training itself and the other for the people who want to build there own set to save $150 bucks? Thanks...

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

JAILBIRD CRUISER 38"

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

2024 TP5X (as of now)

MODS can we break off this thread into two parts? One for the training itself and the other for the people who want to build there own set to save $150 bucks? Thanks...

I agree. It’s annoying. I have the SuperSpeed sticks so I want to read info on them instead of people being too cheap and building their own. Start a new thread or rename this one. I’d understand if they’re talking about using the system and training but every comment is on building them.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

I agree. It’s annoying. I have the SuperSpeed sticks so I want to read info on them instead of people being too cheap and building their own. Start a new thread or rename this one. I’d understand if they’re talking about using the system and training but every comment is on building them.

No need to insult. It takes more work to build your own, plus there are benefits to making a custom set.

I would agree though that a separate build your own thread would be helpful if it doesn't already exist. I assure you though, nobody is stopping you from getting the thread off this tangent and posting about your improvements.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

I'd like to see what results someone would get just using a normal club and doing many of the drills like swinging lefty of you are righty, doing single arm swing, swinging from knees etc. I would expect some decent improvement just by working these motions without ultralight and ultraheavy clubs.

Thank you for volunteering to be the pioneer for this "normal-club" test.

We appreciate the dedication.

Please report back with your findings.

I'd like to see what results someone would get just using a normal club and doing many of the drills like swinging lefty of you are righty, doing single arm swing, swinging from knees etc. I would expect some decent improvement just by working these motions without ultralight and ultraheavy clubs.

I might be your normal club tester guy thingy. I have told this little diddy a few times but I went from ~105 a few years ago, to 120+ just by swinging all out at the range regularily. I did also swing a lot without a ball at my SSR just to toy with different techniques, timing, swing thoughts etc.

Edit: This was done without ever swinging lefty, on my knees, or one armed.

I might be your normal club tester guy thingy. I have told this little diddy a few times but I went from ~105 a few years ago, to 120+ just by swinging all out at the range regularily. I did also swing a lot without a ball at my SSR just to toy with different techniques, timing, swing thoughts etc.

That's pretty incredible. What specifically do you attribute the large increase to? Just learning to fire fast twitch muscles or change in technique?

That's pretty incredible. What specifically do you attribute the large increase to? Just learning to fire fast twitch muscles or change in technique?

My guesses are the following and in order of importance, hopefully I match the last list I did like this somewhere in this thread lol.

1) Yes, teaching my muscles to fire faster

2) Building muscle and flexibilty just through repetition and trying to get all of the range of motion I could.

3) Improving technique through trial and error.

I have some really good raw speed now. In fact, my goal is 130 and I think that is reachable. I need to lose a little weight I gained in the past year or two to help with that, and I need to refine my swing technique. I can swing 105 one swing, then 125 the next. I never swing the same way twice it seems lol.

My guesses are the following and in order of importance, hopefully I match the last list I did like this somewhere in this thread lol.

2) Building muscle and flexibilty just through repetition and trying to get all of the range of motion I could.

I have some really good raw speed now. In fact, my goal is 130 and I think that is reachable. I need to lose a little weight I gained in the past year or two to help with that, and I need to refine my swing technique. I can swing 105 one swing, then 125 the next. I never swing the same way twice it seems lol.

I'm interested in #3 how you think you improved your technique. Can you elaborate?

I'm interested in #3 how you think you improved your technique. Can you elaborate?

Bigger turn, not casting and thus throwing speed early, inside path, not sliding, timing of things etc.

Bigger turn, not casting and thus throwing speed early, inside path, not sliding, timing of things etc.

Thank you

You are welcome. Keep in mind my swing was very beginner when I started. I was all arms, swayed a lot on the backswing, slid on the downswing, casted badly and still swung 105 at the ball. I bet I could peak at ~110 somewhere in that swing, so I have probably added 10-15 mph of raw speed. I like this thread and I like to tell my story because so many think they can't improve much. I am just one person, but the evidence is showing you can if you work at it. Also, the gym is definitely NOT the first solution to gaining speed, it can help, but I would say it will mostly help with injury avoidance.

Edit: To me going to the gym to add speed is the final step after you have messaged all you can out of swing efficiency, and practicing swinging fast. Adding in the right gym workout can add a few more mph on top of that, and keep you durable and injury resistant. As soon as I turned 35, I stopped feeling very rubbery and now I feel every swing session. I could stand to hit the gym now to give my body some more durability. Swinging 120+ especially if its not a super efficient 120+, hurts me badly some days. My wrists, left knee, and left ankle take a beating, not to mention my hands from no doubt having to squeeze that club hard last second to keep it from flying out of my hands.

Did my first session of Protocol 1 last night. No discernible increase in speed or distance having done 4 weeks of the introductory protocol.

It will come, make sure you are truly giving it the beans when you swing. That is the key. Think of the Dragon Ball cartoons. (look them up if you don't know what I mean). You get to super saiyan 1, 2, 3, 4 by constantly trying to turn the knob to 11.

For me that was goals of 110, 115, 120, 125 (and now 130). You pick realistic maxes to hit, and you just keep upping your capabilities. You will eventually know how much effort, and how to apply it to get to your top speed, then when you pick up your club you can swing normal and your normal swing speed will be elevated naturally.

Thank you for volunteering to be the pioneer for this "normal-club" test.

We appreciate the dedication.

Please report back with your findings.

I'll give it a try. It would seem that a decent amount of benefits would be derived just by doing the drills to work on muscle imbalances and flexibility which are not dependent (imo) on having SS weights.

I think the quickest gains can be made by swinging a blank shaft with your right hand, left hand and both hands all 5x. Then swinging a club 5x all out. Then hitting balls all out 5x. Do these 4 sets 3-4x once a week and you're going to be amazed at the immediate gains you see.

The reason I started to do SSG trainings is I plateaued with the above system and I wanted to get into the 120s (SSR measured) consistently. It's still my goal but looking less likely this season.

I think the quickest gains can be made by swinging a blank shaft with your right hand, left hand and both hands all 5x. Then swinging a club 5x all out. Then hitting balls all out 5x. Do these 4 sets 3-4x once a week and you're going to be amazed at the immediate gains you see.

The reason I started to do SSG trainings is I plateaued with the above system and I wanted to get into the 120s (SSR measured) consistently. It's still my goal but looking less likely this season.

I'll give this a try on SSR I have at home. Did you see immediate gains? How long before they plateaued and you needed a more advanced method?

I'll give this a try on SSR I have at home. Did you see immediate gains? How long before they plateaued and you needed a more advanced method?

I saw a bump the very first time I did this. Within a couple weeks I went from 100ish to 115.

I saw a bump the very first time I did this. Within a couple weeks I went from 100ish to 115.

That's a massive jump! Congrats.

Going off of SSR, I went from 82-86 to about 102-106 using Swingman Golf's system. Which recommends a couple of things (less than $20) and your normal driver. and if you don't want those couple of things, you don't need them either. You certainly can do the program with just a driver.

That increase is after intermittent training for a couple of weeks. Hitting the actual ball on a course is slower but the increase is obvious (30 yards on my drives about halfway through that training - I need to upload my recent shot scope data). I just took a month off (traveled to Europe) came back and most of my speed stuck.

I think a good amount of gain in swing speed is just us learning how to swing too. Instant feedback from the SSR tells us what produces a fast swing, and what doesn't. Muscling the club slows me down. Less tension and acceleration about 1/3 the way down produces my fast swings.

Once I max out on the Swingman system I want to start this super speed training so I keep an eye on this thread. But Jaacob Bowden's system is so simple I feel a little remorse paying the $50, but hey, it's his intellectual property, and that's what he charges!

Doing what you suggest above, with just the club (I don't even do any lefty swings), add in some explosive exercises (pushups, pullups, each rep as fast as you can, but the set doesn't have to be fast, not many) and you will see gains in the first few weeks for sure.

At first, I was hoping I'd get from 80mph on SSR to 100 mph. After hitting 106 mph after just a few weeks, Shoot I'm going for 120! I'm not greedy a 270 yard total drive would make me very happy :D

Not trying at all to take away from that accomplishement Trumb because I know your increase is legit (we have discussed this some already), but I feel I should reiterate something I have said a few times in here I think is important.

Be careful measuring swing speed improvements with SSR and your driver. It likes to lie to you a lot. One of the benefits to using the SSG sticks with SSR is that it reads them so much more consistently and accurately. You can bet if you swing the heaviest stick 10 mph faster than you did before doing the program for a few weeks, you have increased your drive speed potentially that 10 mph. The other thing I will add, is that most people on here seem to have difficulting swinging their driver the same speed as a comparable SSG club.

Example, as I have mentioned before, I can swing my SSG club (homemade and very close to same weight and length as my actual driver) over 130 mph consistently. I can't swing my driver that fast with a ball in front of me. I bet you I can swing it that fast without a ball in front of me and just swinging all out though.

If you have the ability, document your true gains with your driver by hopping on a trackman every so often, or accurately getting an average ball speed increase (lots of relatively cheap devices do that well) every so often. I recommend the swing caddies. The older SC100 model works great and can be found for less than 150 bucks. It measures ball speed very accurately, but it also measures swing speed. If you get it lined up correctly, that number is quite accurate as well, but I would go off of ball speed primarily.

I say all this frequently in here because I don't want anyone to go through my pain of thinking I made my goal only to find out SSR was reading higher from toe closure rate increase. In my opinion it is only useful for someone who has a super consistent swing that doesn't change release point or anything, and they aren't messing with technique, just trying to gain speed through bettering their muscle firing and strength.