mackenzie golfbags?

Comments

• payerasjlpayerasjl Members Posts: 751 ✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018 #332
    still on the fence.

for those of you that game one... is it your daily/regular user or do you bust it out for special ocasions/particular courses etc?

ever use your mackenzie and wish you didnt? is it missing something?

its funny, ive never had any issue buying expensive bags (my wife...), but the psychological barrier for this is making me over analyze and think "will i really use it? is it really practical? will it end up as a putter display in my man cave?"
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    Get scratch or die trying
  • slide13slide13 Members Posts: 1,330 ✭✭
    It’s not my only, I have two stand bags as well (SM 2.5+ and Jones Utility). I use the Mackenzie when I take less than a full set, usually 7-9 clubs, and lately that has been the majority of my rounds, but not all of them. It’ll hold 14 just fine but when I get to that many I do prefer a dual strap setup, at least for walking 18. But...walking with my Mack and 7-9 clubs are my favorite golfing rounds, the ones I enjoy the most.
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
    slide13 wrote:

It’s not my only, I have two stand bags as well (SM 2.5+ and Jones Utility). I use the Mackenzie when I take less than a full set, usually 7-9 clubs, and lately that has been the majority of my rounds, but not all of them. It’ll hold 14 just fine but when I get to that many I do prefer a dual strap setup, at least for walking 18. But...walking with my Mack and 7-9 clubs are my favorite golfing rounds, the ones I enjoy the most.

Thanks for the answer. I’m actually in between sm 2.5 and ballistic walker. Don’t want to buy the Mack and end up having it collecting dust in the house. Just feel that the thin 2.5 material won’t last more than a season!
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
    payerasjl wrote:

slide13 wrote:

Thanks for the answer. I’m actually in between sm 2.5 and ballistic walker. Don’t want to buy the Mack and end up having it collecting dust in the house. Just feel that the thin 2.5 material won’t last more than a season!

Make sure you look at the 2.5+ if you go that way, I've never had a standard 2.5 but I understand the material on the 2.5+ is sturdier. Even so...it's not going to be a lifetime type of bag like a Mackenzie. The 2.5+ is a great waking bag for a full set. It's very light and holds the clubs well. It feels a little flimsy, but I think it's hard for any stand bag under 3 lbs not to, that is just how lightweight stands go. No idea how durable it will be long term, but I wouldn't buy it expecting more than a couple season if you play a lot of rounds.

Mack on the other hand feels like it'll keep going forever, and should anything happen they can be repaired. But you have to like single strap and no stand to make it work.

I will say I used my trestle sticks for the second time today on a dewy morning round and they're surprisingly easy to use for times when you really don't want to lay the bag down. It really takes no extra time if you just carry it like a walking stick to setup when you're ready to put the bag down. They have been a great purchase for my Mackenzie.
    Minimal: Titleist 913 D3 / Cobra F8 4w / Miura CB57 4/6/8/P / Miura 55C / Byron DH89 / Mackenzie
  • JayLeftyJayLefty St. Louis, MOLefty Boomers Posts: 2,017 ✭✭
    edited May 17, 2018 #336
    payerasjl wrote:

still on the fence.

for those of you that game one... is it your daily/regular user or do you bust it out for special ocasions/particular courses etc?

its funny, ive never had any issue buying expensive bags (my wife...), but the psychological barrier for this is making me over analyze and think "will i really use it? is it really practical? will it end up as a putter display in my man cave?"

I use mine as my everyday bag and haven't thought of using another bag. It is so nice and does everything I want based on how I ordered the bag.

I have a 2.5 and a utility bag as well. I love the 2.5, but my back feels better when I carry the MacKenzie. I like the utility, but dislike the three slots for clubs and the small opening.
    Ping G 400 Max 10.5* w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 7X
    Srixon Z U85 18* w/ X100
    Srixon Z U65 20* w/ x100
    Mizuno MP-25 4-PW w/ X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 50*, 54* and 58* w/ x100
    Evnroll ER2 w/ BGT Stability Shaft
  • jsheljshel Members Posts: 646 ✭✭
    payerasjl wrote:

still on the fence.

I have one (ballistic nylon) and don't regret it.

I don't use it year round. I will use a stand bag in the spring and fall here in Minnesota (when it is wetter) or if I'm going somewhere and I know I'm going to ride.

But if I'm going to walk and carry in the summer, I'm using my Mackenzie. It carries so nicely, it is light and it just basically fits.
    Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 degrees Mitsubishi Tensei shaft
    3W: TaylorMade M1
    Hybrid: Callaway XR 19 degree
    Irons: PXG XF Gen 2 Steelfiber shafts
    Wedges: Vokey SM6 54, 58
    Putter: Cameron & Crown Fastback
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    They make a good product and you design with your own colors. However, mostly they are a status symbol. Over priced.
    Guia wrote:

They make a good product and you design with your own colors. However, mostly they are a status symbol. Over priced.

Do you have one? Have you used one?
  • GuiaGuia Members Posts: 8,693 ✭✭
    About 15 years ago one of the guys in our group used a Mackenzie. He had a Tan and Dark Brown, the leather was quality and fairly thick, only one pocket, sewing was quality. Clubs did not have a lot of room, single strap. I can't remember how much he paid, but a guess was around $700.
  • KSPKSP Members Posts: 147 ✭✭
    slide13 wrote:
    payerasjl wrote:

slide13 wrote:

Make sure you look at the 2.5+ if you go that way, I've never had a standard 2.5 but I understand the material on the 2.5+ is sturdier. Even so...it's not going to be a lifetime type of bag like a Mackenzie. The 2.5+ is a great waking bag for a full set. It's very light and holds the clubs well. It feels a little flimsy, but I think it's hard for any stand bag under 3 lbs not to, that is just how lightweight stands go. No idea how durable it will be long term, but I wouldn't buy it expecting more than a couple season if you play a lot of rounds.

Mack on the other hand feels like it'll keep going forever, and should anything happen they can be repaired. But you have to like single strap and no stand to make it work.

I will say I used my trestle sticks for the second time today on a dewy morning round and they're surprisingly easy to use for times when you really don't want to lay the bag down. It really takes no extra time if you just carry it like a walking stick to setup when you're ready to put the bag down. They have been a great purchase for my Mackenzie.

Where did u get the wood trestle sticks? Hard to find anything online.
    KSP wrote:

Where did u get the wood trestle sticks? Hard to find anything online.

Claret Dreamer on Instagram, great product, been super happy with them.
  • hrmgolf72hrmgolf72 hrmgolf Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Im actaully very suprised at how many people dont like these. personally i like thema lot, not sure if i could use it as my full time bag but having one for walking is perfect. now the price is a little steep for me but taking price out these bags are about as cool as they come.i guess its just a taste thing
  • jt2gtjt2gt Members Posts: 573 ✭✭
    Still liking my ballistic black. Was worried about 14 fitting, but no different than my Callaway bag.

BTW...Just put a very nice Mackenzie Leather valuables pouch up for sale. Quality leather -- Green/White. PM if interested. Thanks, JT
    My Mackenzie is back in Oregon for a quick repair, some stitching came loose on the handle. They were great, sent me a prepaid label to send it back to get fixed. I went and played 9 today using my minimal kit with my SM 2.5+. I really really really missed my Mackenzie. Once you’re used to the way that soft sided bag conforms as you carry it, a standard bag just feels weird. Can’t wait to get my Mackenzie back...thinking I might need to order a second one so I always have a backup.

Also...love that after 3 years when some stitching came loose it was time for a quick repair...not a replacement. Not many bags you can send back to get fixed up and I really appreciate that!
  • TingtingTingting Members Posts: 708 ✭✭
    hrmgolf72 wrote:

Im actaully very suprised at how many people dont like these. personally i like thema lot, not sure if i could use it as my full time bag but having one for walking is perfect. now the price is a little steep for me but taking price out these bags are about as cool as they come.i guess its just a taste thing

For me it’s the bending over and grabbing the bag that is an issue. In all honesty I have multiple bags and my favorite is the moonlite bag because the strap stands up

Since these bad boys dont come with rain hoods, how do you guys who own one and travel with it make due?

Im wondering how i would throw my stiff arm in there and keep the clubs from flying all over the place once inside my club glove travel case.

any tips?
    CLO-MIA-DCA-BOG
  • JayLeftyJayLefty St. Louis, MOLefty Boomers Posts: 2,017 ✭✭
    I just thread a towel through my clubs and they are fine. I never use a rain hood when I travel.
    Ping G 400 Max 10.5* w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 7X
    Srixon Z U85 18* w/ X100
    Srixon Z U65 20* w/ x100
    Mizuno MP-25 4-PW w/ X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 50*, 54* and 58* w/ x100
    Evnroll ER2 w/ BGT Stability Shaft
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,907 ✭✭
    jshel wrote:

payerasjl wrote:

still on the fence.

I have one (ballistic nylon) and don't regret it.

I don't use it year round. I will use a stand bag in the spring and fall here in Minnesota (when it is wetter) or if I'm going somewhere and I know I'm going to ride.

But if I'm going to walk and carry in the summer, I'm using my Mackenzie. It carries so nicely, it is light and it just basically fits.

I have the ballistic one and I don't use it often but wish I did lol. Every time I use it, I wonder why I don't carry it more often. The thing is, I always carry it for like 5 rounds, then play a round with buddies using a cart. The Mackenzie is OK on a cart but not great. So I swap it out for my Titleist stand bag and inevitably forget before the next round to swap back. I also like to use a push cart when walking if I know the round will be slower (playing at place like TPC Scottsdale which gets a lot of traffic). So yeah at this point I'm only using my Mackenzie a handful of times per year and every time I use it, I love it and wonder why I don't use it every time.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • rwc356rwc356 Chicago, IllinoisMembers Posts: 325 ✭✭
    +1 on using the trestle sticks. Makes walking with my Mackenzie a breeze!
    Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Walker bag
  • Katke87Katke87 Members Posts: 141 ✭✭
    edited Jun 9, 2018 #351
    I've had a Mackenzie for close to 30 years, and haven't played with it in more than 25 years. The biggest problems for me are 1) it's a single strap design and 2) doesn't have a stand. Walking 18 in the early morning and laying it on the ground required frequently putting leather conditioner on it to prevent it from drying out. Also, the black dye from the wet bag rubbed off on my clothes. These two issues far outweighed the oohs and aahs I got from guys regarding the beauty of the bag. It's a gorgeous classic, but I just use it to store a few persimmon woods. Too impractical for everyday use.
    Callaway GBB Epic driver, 13.5°Diamana M40, A flex
    Callaway GBB Epic 5 wood, 19°, Fubuki Z65, A flex
    Tour Edge XCG6 3h (19°), Graphite Design Tour AD 52g, A flex
    King Cobra Baffler 4h (23°), Aldila NV-HL, A flex
    Titleist 718 AP1, 5-gap wedge, Tensei CK series, A flex
    Callaway 2017 PM Grind 56°/13° & 60°/10°, KBS Tour-V, wedge flex
    All grips Golf Pride New Decade Multi Compound
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0, Bettinardi/Lamkin deep etch grip
    Ping 4 Series bag
    Headcovers Stitch, Jan Craig, Fore Ewe, Winston Collection
    Titleist Pro V1X
    Rovic & Clicgear push carts
  • Psi highPsi high Members Posts: 65 ✭✭
    I have used nothing but my Mackenzie since I got it. Hoofer is collecting dust. But, it's not for everyone.

Buy a used Jones bag and see if you like the no stand and single strap. If that works for you, sell it and buy a Mackenzie
    Katke87 wrote:

I've had a Mackenzie for close to 30 years, and haven't played with it in more than 25 years. The biggest problems for me are 1) it's a single strap design and 2) doesn't have a stand. Walking 18 in the early morning and laying it on the ground required frequently putting leather conditioner on it to prevent it from drying out. Also, the black dye from the wet bag rubbed off on my clothes. These two issues far outweighed the oohs and aahs I got from guys regarding the beauty of the bag. It's a gorgeous classic, but I just use it to store a few persimmon woods. Too impractical for everyday use.

For me, trestle sticks have been a game changer for using my Mack on a wet morning. They are way easier to carry and use then you’d think and they work great. When it’s dry laying the bag on the ground is fine by me. Mine is a ballistic bag so I don’t have any bleeding issues, but I can see why that would be an problem. In the end, they aren’t for everybody for sure, but I love playing with mine. Even used it for a scramble this past weekend when I had to ride...worked surprisingly well on a cart.
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,282 ClubWRX
    i put a back up set in my mackenzie bag

I use an electric push cart so the cart bag is more convenient for me on my weekly rounds but when I just want to play a quick 9 at night alone, i'll grab the mackenzie. Best bag in the world. And all my walks at streamsong is easier with a mackenzie.
    thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w ADTP, 3w ADIZ, 5w ADDI, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, 718 TMB 4i, Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009 
  • mn723mn723 Members Posts: 410 ✭✭
    rwc356 wrote:

How do trestle sticks work? Do you attach them to the bag during the round, or do you have to carry them unattached from the bag and set them up each time you put the bag down?

I have a new Mackenzie and am curious.

Thanks
    Ping G400 Max driver
    Ping G 5 and 7 woods
    Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-GW irons
    Cobra King 56* & 60* wedges
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Red
    TaylorMade Tour Preferred X ball
  • byflow2byflow2 Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    mn723 wrote:

rwc356 wrote:

How do trestle sticks work? Do you attach them to the bag during the round, or do you have to carry them unattached from the bag and set them up each time you put the bag down?

I have a new Mackenzie and am curious.

Thanks
    they slide into the bag just as a golf club would and you pull them out and stand the bag on them while you hit your shot
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly Z 9.5 Stock Stiff Shaft[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR 15* Project X 6.0 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Utility 18* Aldia rouge 65g S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon 565 4,5 - Srixon 6-PW Dynamic Gold AMT S300[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 52* [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 56*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 60*[/font]
    Bettinardi [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Queen Bee #9[/font]
    Yes, or even easier, use it as a bit of a walking stick as you move to your next shot. That’s what I do 90% of the time. Only time during a round I put it back in the bag is when I need to clean off my club I just used during the walk.

It may sound cumbersome...but after a few rounds it becomes second nature and I actually like having it in my hand on the walk.
  • jt2gtjt2gt Members Posts: 573 ✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2018 #358
    Where are all the pics....guess harder to snap a shot when enjoying a nice walk with your Mackenzie. Here's a quick pic of my navy waxed canvas to get this thread back rolling.

BTW...what does everyone use the clips for inside the small zipper pocket? Is it random or is there a specific purpose?
  • p3gap3ga Members Posts: 647 ✭✭
    I use the clip for my car keys
    Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
    His hair was perfect

- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London

All the clubs I've ever owned.
  • byflow2byflow2 Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    jt2gt wrote:

Where are all the pics....guess harder to snap a shot when enjoying a nice walk with your Mackenzie. Here's a quick pic of my navy waxed canvas to get this thread back rolling.

BTW...what does everyone use the clips for inside the small zipper pocket? Is it random or is there a specific purpose?
    beauty... should post some more pictures
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly Z 9.5 Stock Stiff Shaft[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR 15* Project X 6.0 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Utility 18* Aldia rouge 65g S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon 565 4,5 - Srixon 6-PW Dynamic Gold AMT S300[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 52* [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 56*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 60*[/font]
    Bettinardi [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Queen Bee #9[/font]
  • jerebear21jerebear21 Don't Go Left ClubWRX Posts: 3,282 ClubWRX
    Took it with me to sand valley. Once again the best carrying/caddie bag in golf.

thehuyhuynhfoundation.com
    FlashSz 1w ADTP, 3w ADIZ, 5w ADDI, Graphite Design
    Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW, 718 TMB 4i, Accra i100
    Fourteen RM22 53/58 Accra i100
    Tour Newport // SC 009