2018 Titleist AVX Golf Balls

18911131433

Comments

  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,386 ✭✭
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #302
    BiggErn wrote:


    What brand clubs do you have?




    The second round I ever played with the AVX was the best score I’ve ever shot. The clubs I was using were a combination of Ping, Cobra, Adams and Callaway.



    I think AVX has a sufficiently different set of characteristics than any previous Titleist model that there are certain players who will find it "better than most", you might say. In my case, nowadays I'm driving the ball a bit longer and straighter than in years past so that extra 8, 10, 12 yards of runout is giving me 8-irons instead of 7-irons and 6-irons instead of 4-irons into Par 4 greens which is a noticeable advantage. Likewise, someone who hits it straight and long but overspins his iron shots may find AVX's lower iron spin lets me swing away and not need to manage his spin as closely.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • HondabuffHondabuff Members Posts: 1,482 ✭✭
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #303
    I don't get the hate towards the people who say the AVX has helped their game. Nothing wrong with a friendlier version of a ProV1. Golf isn't cheap, never was and never will be. I never really come across a person playing a Titleist ball who will bash all the other companies golf balls. I do come across a lot of players who play Vice, That ridiculous Truvis ball, Snells and Ksigs that will go out of their way to tell you about your crappy overpriced Titleist that you are playing.
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125msi 60 TX
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
    Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
    Titleist 716 AP2 Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM4 50/54/58 Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
    Titleist AVX
    Bushnell Tour Z6
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,386 ✭✭
    Hondabuff wrote:


    I don't get the hate towards the people who say the AVX has helped their game. Nothing wrong with a friendlier version of a ProV1. Golf isn't cheap, never was and never will be. I never really come across a person playing a Titleist ball who will bash all the other companies golf balls. I do come across a lot of players who play Vice, That ridiculous Truvis ball, Snells and Ksigs that will go out of their way to tell you about your crappy overpriced Titleist that you are playing.




    There's all sorts of flavors of golf ball snobbery. A few guys in my usual gang like to throw shade on me and one other guy who are using AVX. They're like "You're paying for a ProV1 and not even getting a ProV1 for your money", as though the ProV1 is a bargain but AVX at the same price is a ripoff.



    Then there's another guy who simply can not believe that anyone would actually walk in the pro shop and buy golf balls when "you can find all you want just looking in the woods around here". This particular guy probably has 10x as much money as I do but thinks paying $48 for a box of golf balls is like lighting cigars with $100 bills.



    But I'm with you, I never hear any ProV1/ProV1x users (of which I know many) insult other people's choice of golf balls. If someone asks why they are willing to stick with ProV1 no matter the extra expense they'll say something like, "That's just what I've always used. It works great for me".
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,437 ✭✭
    Hondabuff wrote:
    I don't get the hate towards the people who say the AVX has helped their game. Nothing wrong with a friendlier version of a ProV1. Golf isn't cheap, never was and never will be. I never really come across a person playing a Titleist ball who will bash all the other companies golf balls. I do come across a lot of players who play Vice, That ridiculous Truvis ball, Snells and Ksigs that will go out of their way to tell you about your crappy overpriced Titleist that you are playing.






    There’s no hate toward anyone’s ball choice. It’s just funny that Titleist actually copied other golf ball models with the mid compression urethane ball and act like they reinvented the wheel. They didn’t revolutionize some other ball category, it was already there. They make it seem like they did something different because they price it the same as their bell cows. It’s even funnier when guys say it’s a “game changer”. Well I guess you should’ve bought a sleeve of Chrome Soft or Project (a) a lot sooner.
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,386 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:

    Hondabuff wrote:
    I don't get the hate towards the people who say the AVX has helped their game. Nothing wrong with a friendlier version of a ProV1. Golf isn't cheap, never was and never will be. I never really come across a person playing a Titleist ball who will bash all the other companies golf balls. I do come across a lot of players who play Vice, That ridiculous Truvis ball, Snells and Ksigs that will go out of their way to tell you about your crappy overpriced Titleist that you are playing.






    There’s no hate toward anyone’s ball choice. It’s just funny that Titleist actually copied other golf ball models with the mid compression urethane ball and act like they reinvented the wheel. They didn’t revolutionize some other ball category, it was already there. They make it seem like they did something different because they price it the same as their bell cows. It’s even funnier when guys say it’s a “game changer”. Well I guess you should’ve bought a sleeve of Chrome Soft or Project (a) a lot sooner.




    Well I can say for sure the AVX’s particular set of spin, distance and trajectory with various clubs is unlike the following balls I’ve used for 50 rounds or more:



    ProV1

    ProV1x

    B330

    B330S

    Chrome Soft

    FG Tour

    ZStar XV

    TM Lethal



    It is also quite unlike any Surlyn ball I know of.



    The only balls that sort of seems similar would be TP5/TP5X but I’m not familiar enough with them to say for sure.



    So what ball is it a “copy” of? And don’t quote me compression numbers, I am not an idiot and neither are you.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Break81Break81 Broke80 Members Posts: 2,026 ✭✭
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #307
    BiggErn wrote:
    Hondabuff wrote:
    I don't get the hate towards the people who say the AVX has helped their game. Nothing wrong with a friendlier version of a ProV1. Golf isn't cheap, never was and never will be. I never really come across a person playing a Titleist ball who will bash all the other companies golf balls. I do come across a lot of players who play Vice, That ridiculous Truvis ball, Snells and Ksigs that will go out of their way to tell you about your crappy overpriced Titleist that you are playing.






    There’s no hate toward anyone’s ball choice. It’s just funny that Titleist actually copied other golf ball models with the mid compression urethane ball and act like they reinvented the wheel. They didn’t revolutionize some other ball category, it was already there. They make it seem like they did something different because they price it the same as their bell cows. It’s even funnier when guys say it’s a “game changer”. Well I guess you should’ve bought a sleeve of Chrome Soft or Project (a) a lot sooner.


    They did reinvent the wheel fo me those who only play a Titleist ball. For those fanboys this is revolutionary even if others have enjoyed other similar options for a while.



    Best part for me is the AVX is really a Prestige (1/2 the price) and almost identical to the K3 (1/4 the price)



    At the end of the day however if someone thinks it the only ball that works for them so be it. I know for myself there are at least 3-4 balls in each category that play equally for me. It comes down to price , being available in yellow (however the K3 being such a good value I can overlook that) and how it plays in the wind.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F7+ - Stiff
    Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
    Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
    EVNROLL ER5
    Srixon XV - Yellow
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,437 ✭✭
    The AVX was created to compete directly with the Chrome Soft. That is a fact. If you see a major difference between the two then that’s ok.
  • Z4ParZ4Par Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:
    Hondabuff wrote:
    I don't get the hate towards the people who say the AVX has helped their game. Nothing wrong with a friendlier version of a ProV1. Golf isn't cheap, never was and never will be. I never really come across a person playing a Titleist ball who will bash all the other companies golf balls. I do come across a lot of players who play Vice, That ridiculous Truvis ball, Snells and Ksigs that will go out of their way to tell you about your crappy overpriced Titleist that you are playing.






    There’s no hate toward anyone’s ball choice. It’s just funny that Titleist actually copied other golf ball models with the mid compression urethane ball and act like they reinvented the wheel. They didn’t revolutionize some other ball category, it was already there. They make it seem like they did something different because they price it the same as their bell cows. It’s even funnier when guys say it’s a “game changer”. Well I guess you should’ve bought a sleeve of Chrome Soft or Project (a) a lot sooner.




    The AVX can be a game changer given it is paired with the right player for it. Just like a ProV or any other ball for that matter. If you know how it’s going to react, study it’s nuances and know better than any other ball what it is going to do; then yes, it’s a game changer..
    Callaway Rogue Draw Driver (10 Degrees) 9 Degree setup at +1, Neutral Setting - Aldila Synergy 50 (60 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 4 Wood (17 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (68 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid (19 Degrees), 4 Hybrid (21 Degrees), 5 Hybrid (24 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (75 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Titleist 718 AP3 6 Iron (28 Degrees) through PW (43 Degrees) and Wedge (48 Degrees) - AMT Black S300 - Standard
    Titleist SM6 - 52 Degree F Grind 8 Degree Bounce and 56 Degree F Grind 14 Degree Bounce - Project X 6.0 - Standard
    2018 TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline
    Titleist AVX
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,437 ✭✭
    Z4Par wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:
    Hondabuff wrote:
    I don't get the hate towards the people who say the AVX has helped their game. Nothing wrong with a friendlier version of a ProV1. Golf isn't cheap, never was and never will be. I never really come across a person playing a Titleist ball who will bash all the other companies golf balls. I do come across a lot of players who play Vice, That ridiculous Truvis ball, Snells and Ksigs that will go out of their way to tell you about your crappy overpriced Titleist that you are playing.






    There’s no hate toward anyone’s ball choice. It’s just funny that Titleist actually copied other golf ball models with the mid compression urethane ball and act like they reinvented the wheel. They didn’t revolutionize some other ball category, it was already there. They make it seem like they did something different because they price it the same as their bell cows. It’s even funnier when guys say it’s a “game changer”. Well I guess you should’ve bought a sleeve of Chrome Soft or Project (a) a lot sooner.




    The AVX can be a game changer given it is paired with the right player for it. Just like a ProV or any other ball for that matter. If you know how it’s going to react, study it’s nuances and know better than any other ball what it is going to do; then yes, it’s a game changer..






    Golf isn’t that complicated and no golf ball is that different that it stands alone in what it does to be a game changer. If you like the ball you play that’s great but it’s crazy to think that it’s the only ball to perform the way it does. There’s probably at least 3 other balls from different manufacturers that will play virtually the exact same. On occasion I play with a guy that blames every bad shot on everything but himself. Sky a drive he adjusts the loft down a degree. Top the next he adjusts it back up a degree. If a shaft has any flex it’s too soft. He has a 100 yard shot over water, hits 4 inches behind the ball, 50 yards into the middle of the pond, and he wants to talk about the air being more dense over water.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Members Posts: 1,482 ✭✭
    When I put the AVX into play I never even mentioned it to my normal playing group. 2 of the other guys, our drives are always right around each other but mine was now always a few yards ahead now with the AVX. Most of them would just comment "Nice drive or You really got ahold of that one" and go about their business. It wasn't till after my second round and 3rd closest to the pin I won in the league night that my buddy asked "Dude, what did you change"? "Your ball flight looks different and everything looks tighter" We have many conversations before about the ProV1x and V1 being loose on our approach shots. We have numerous shots into par 3's where the ball tracked right at the flag and once it peaked the ball always fell right or left a few yards. AVX wants to track straight and hold its line after apex. This Tuesday the same guy who was a loyal ProV1x player started using the AVX. He kept commenting on how much easier the ball was to play but couldnt explain what it was other then everything. To be honest, I have only strayed away from a Titleist ball to play the 1st version B330-RX for 2 years but was never happy with it off the driver and switched to the B330-S for a short stint until the dimple in dimple came out and I tried the 2015 ProV1x and was hooked again. Maybe the AVX is a clone of the Chromesoft, B330-RX or Nike DD. I was a high launch high spin player and this ball seemed to solve alot of my issues I was having. Being single handicap I wasnt really wanting to learn another brand ball that may have fulfilled what the AVX is now doing. Im never going to be they guy who will try the Ksigs, Snells, Vice balls or whatever new ProV1 challenger is. Everyone I ever ran into playing a ProV1 will tell you the same thing. Its consistent, predictable in its trajectory and yardages. You can nit pick here and there but most will just play it and not think much of it. Titleist R&D have probably been sitting on this design for a few years but didnt know how to market it with out hurting sales of the ProV1/X. Its almost what the NXT Tour should have been in most consumers eyes. For me who is a low handicap, would never be on tour or play Division 1 golf but better then most golfers "Ranked 11th in a 65 man league" the AVX got me through the glass ceiling I have been stuck at for the past 5 years.
    Titleist TS2 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 125msi 60 TX
    Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
    Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
    Titleist 716 AP2 Project X 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM4 50/54/58 Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Futura 6M
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
    Titleist AVX
    Bushnell Tour Z6
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,386 ✭✭
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #312
    Break81 wrote:

    BiggErn wrote:
    Hondabuff wrote:
    I don't get the hate towards the people who say the AVX has helped their game. Nothing wrong with a friendlier version of a ProV1. Golf isn't cheap, never was and never will be. I never really come across a person playing a Titleist ball who will bash all the other companies golf balls. I do come across a lot of players who play Vice, That ridiculous Truvis ball, Snells and Ksigs that will go out of their way to tell you about your crappy overpriced Titleist that you are playing.






    There’s no hate toward anyone’s ball choice. It’s just funny that Titleist actually copied other golf ball models with the mid compression urethane ball and act like they reinvented the wheel. They didn’t revolutionize some other ball category, it was already there. They make it seem like they did something different because they price it the same as their bell cows. It’s even funnier when guys say it’s a “game changer”. Well I guess you should’ve bought a sleeve of Chrome Soft or Project (a) a lot sooner.


    They did reinvent the wheel fo me those who only play a Titleist ball. For those fanboys this is revolutionary even if others have enjoyed other similar options for a while.



    Best part for me is the AVX is really a Prestige (1/2 the price) and almost identical to the K3 (1/4 the price)



    At the end of the day however if someone thinks it the only ball that works for them so be it. I know for myself there are at least 3-4 balls in each category that play equally for me. It comes down to price , being available in yellow (however the K3 being such a good value I can overlook that) and how it plays in the wind.




    Do you mean the Japan market Prestige from a couple years back that Morton's, et. al. sell for lick 20 bucks a dozen? I bought two dozen of those and played them for a couple weeks. Did not seem the same ball to me, although I think there may be a newer Prestige out this year that's more like AVX (or maybe even the same). Much more expensive than AVX though, like most Japan domestic market stuff.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,386 ✭✭
    edited Jun 14, 2018 #313
    BiggErn wrote:


    The AVX was created to compete directly with the Chrome Soft. That is a fact. If you see a major difference between the two then that’s ok.




    I played a year and a half with Chrome Soft. It was similar trajectory to AVX but lots more spin off irons and probably more spin around the greens. To me the 2015 Chrome Soft played very similar to the 2015 ProV1.



    I love how you impute something to Titleist with zero knowledge on your part ("...was created to compete directly with Chrome Soft.") and that's a FACT.



    My own personal experience of 150 rounds with Chrome Soft and nearly 100 rounds with AVX is supposed to be trumped by that made-up "fact"? Not so much.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • jesusdelallatajesusdelallata Members Posts: 194 ✭✭
    Ive tried plenty of balls since the beginning of the year. Pro V1, V1x, Chrome Soft, Q Star Tour, Tour Soft. And others. All great balls. I was afraid to try this ball because I thought it would fly very low and not hold the green. I was wrong. The ball is great. I agree that everyone has different tastes and different swings. But this ball works for me.



    This is how I’m ranking my top 3 this year



    AVX

    Chrome Soft

    TP5



    I play twice a month so I’m not worried about what is the cheapest ball I can get. And I don’t play cheap golf courses. So when I play I like premium balls. But the ball needs to suit my game. The three I mentioned above suit my game. But for some reason my drives were longer with the AVX.

    Driver - Callaway Rogue
    3w - Callaway Rogue
    5w - Callaway Rogue
    Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,386 ✭✭


    Ive tried plenty of balls since the beginning of the year. Pro V1, V1x, Chrome Soft, Q Star Tour, Tour Soft. And others. All great balls. I was afraid to try this ball because I thought it would fly very low and not hold the green. I was wrong. The ball is great. I agree that everyone has different tastes and different swings. But this ball works for me.



    This is how I'm ranking my top 3 this year



    AVX

    Chrome Soft

    TP5



    I play twice a month so I'm not worried about what is the cheapest ball I can get. And I don't play cheap golf courses. So when I play I like premium balls. But the ball needs to suit my game. The three I mentioned above suit my game. But for some reason my drives were longer with the AVX.




    My impression (not to say it's a FACT) is that for many of us Titleist just happened to find out how far they can push the trajectory and spin down (to gain driving distance) without totally **** up the ability to hold greens. No other ball in my experience hits that sweet spot for my game.



    I do wish the AVX had more green-holding ability on middle irons when the greens are very firm. As ours are getting into summer condition AVX is starting to cause me occasional green-holding problems. But man, I like that extra driver distance. Other urethane balls don't provide that hot landing and rollout with the driver, other non-urethane balls mean giving up way too much green holding. AVX gets it perfect for me about 8-9 months a year, jury is still out on whether it will handle July/August/September.
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,708 ✭✭
    I’ve been playing the TP5 since it was released. It gives me everything I want in a golf ball from long distance off the tee two very good short game spin into and around the green. The AVX was a smidge longer overall but really lacked the same stopping power with 5i to 7i and the greenside spin I like. I think Titleist is right, the Pro V1 will fit most golfers best and I certainly think the extra spin and height it gives makes it the right ball for me if I were to switch out of the TP5.



    I can’t help but wonder what improvements Titleist will make to the Pro V1/Pro V1X balls that we should see released in the Fall of this year.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17 Jet Setter 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,386 ✭✭
    noodle3872 wrote:


    I’ve been playing the TP5 since it was released. It gives me everything I want in a golf ball from long distance off the tee two very good short game spin into and around the green. The AVX was a smidge longer overall but really lacked the same stopping power with 5i to 7i and the greenside spin I like. I think Titleist is right, the Pro V1 will fit most golfers best and I certainly think the extra spin and height it gives makes it the right ball for me if I were to switch out of the TP5.



    I can’t help but wonder what improvements Titleist will make to the Pro V1/Pro V1X balls that we should see released in the Fall of this year.




    Interesting to read your comment. From the little bit I’ve hit the TP5 that was my impression. It’s similar to the AVX but grabs a bit better on the 6 and 7 irons to firm greens while not QUITE getting ou there far off the driver. It maybe splits the difference between AVX and ProV1...
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. CanadaMembers Posts: 2,708 ✭✭

    noodle3872 wrote:


    I’ve been playing the TP5 since it was released. It gives me everything I want in a golf ball from long distance off the tee two very good short game spin into and around the green. The AVX was a smidge longer overall but really lacked the same stopping power with 5i to 7i and the greenside spin I like. I think Titleist is right, the Pro V1 will fit most golfers best and I certainly think the extra spin and height it gives makes it the right ball for me if I were to switch out of the TP5.



    I can’t help but wonder what improvements Titleist will make to the Pro V1/Pro V1X balls that we should see released in the Fall of this year.




    Interesting to read your comment. From the little bit I’ve hit the TP5 that was my impression. It’s similar to the AVX but grabs a bit better on the 6 and 7 irons to firm greens while not QUITE getting ou there far off the driver. It maybe splits the difference between AVX and ProV1...




    Pretty much it! Mid iron performance is critical to my game. The TP5 may lose 3-4 yards off the driver to the AVX but I found those yards are made up by the TP5 stopping faster than the AVX. I found the AVX a hair too soft for my tastes too. Being a feel player I need that little bit extra auditory feedback and sensation in my hands.
    Taylormade M6 driver MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 60 S Flex
    Taylormade M6 fairway wood MCA Tensei CK Pro Blue 70 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 19° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 80 S Flex
    Taylormade M4 22° hybrid MCA OT Tour Hybrid 90 S Flex
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno MP 18 MMC irons 5-PW Irons Modus3 Tour 105 S flex
    Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-08 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5M H17 Jet Setter 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5M
    Scotty Cameron Futura 7M
    Titleist Yellow Pro V1
  • Z4ParZ4Par Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:
    Z4Par wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:
    Hondabuff wrote:
    I don't get the hate towards the people who say the AVX has helped their game. Nothing wrong with a friendlier version of a ProV1. Golf isn't cheap, never was and never will be. I never really come across a person playing a Titleist ball who will bash all the other companies golf balls. I do come across a lot of players who play Vice, That ridiculous Truvis ball, Snells and Ksigs that will go out of their way to tell you about your crappy overpriced Titleist that you are playing.






    There’s no hate toward anyone’s ball choice. It’s just funny that Titleist actually copied other golf ball models with the mid compression urethane ball and act like they reinvented the wheel. They didn’t revolutionize some other ball category, it was already there. They make it seem like they did something different because they price it the same as their bell cows. It’s even funnier when guys say it’s a “game changer”. Well I guess you should’ve bought a sleeve of Chrome Soft or Project (a) a lot sooner.




    The AVX can be a game changer given it is paired with the right player for it. Just like a ProV or any other ball for that matter. If you know how it’s going to react, study it’s nuances and know better than any other ball what it is going to do; then yes, it’s a game changer..






    Golf isn’t that complicated and no golf ball is that different that it stands alone in what it does to be a game changer. If you like the ball you play that’s great but it’s crazy to think that it’s the only ball to perform the way it does. There’s probably at least 3 other balls from different manufacturers that will play virtually the exact same. On occasion I play with a guy that blames every bad shot on everything but himself. Sky a drive he adjusts the loft down a degree. Top the next he adjusts it back up a degree. If a shaft has any flex it’s too soft. He has a 100 yard shot over water, hits 4 inches behind the ball, 50 yards into the middle of the pond, and he wants to talk about the air being more dense over water.




    Once again, I never said it’s only the ball. But the AVX helps me score in all areas of my game better than any other ball.



    Just going to leave this here..



    AVX = Game Changer



    You can argue me all you’d like. I know it works because my scores prove that. I know the nuances of the AVX vs. other balls I’ve played and it simply beats them. I know you know so much about my game through an Internet forum though..



    You want to know what’s hilarious? Never, ever, would I tell someone over the internet that something doesn’t make an impact in there golf scoring. Want to know why? Because I don’t see your shots or understand your swing to comprehend how you shape a golf ball. Everyone is so different. So no, I’m not going to sit on a thread and throw the flag at people. Neither should you.
    Callaway Rogue Draw Driver (10 Degrees) 9 Degree setup at +1, Neutral Setting - Aldila Synergy 50 (60 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 4 Wood (17 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (68 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid (19 Degrees), 4 Hybrid (21 Degrees), 5 Hybrid (24 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (75 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Titleist 718 AP3 6 Iron (28 Degrees) through PW (43 Degrees) and Wedge (48 Degrees) - AMT Black S300 - Standard
    Titleist SM6 - 52 Degree F Grind 8 Degree Bounce and 56 Degree F Grind 14 Degree Bounce - Project X 6.0 - Standard
    2018 TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline
    Titleist AVX
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,437 ✭✭
    It’s not that complicated but if it makes you feel better to think it is go for it. Starting to sound familiar to a person in another thread that rewrote the laws of physics to support an absurd argument.
  • Z4ParZ4Par Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:
    It’s not that complicated but if it makes you feel better to think it is go for it. Starting to sound familiar to a person in another thread that rewrote the laws of physics to support an absurd argument.




    Sounds good. Just keep calling people out about there game when you haven’t even seen them play and then your reasoning is that it’s not that complicated. News flash, golf is very complicated. It’s very difficult to shoot consistently good golf scores. It’s very difficult and very complicated to get so comfortable with a golf ball that you’ve got complete confidence when stepping up to it around the greens. Im at this point with the AVX. No other ball has done it this consistently for me in all the years I’ve played. It’s not just the AVX, but it’s certainly aided me getting to where I am.
    Callaway Rogue Draw Driver (10 Degrees) 9 Degree setup at +1, Neutral Setting - Aldila Synergy 50 (60 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 4 Wood (17 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (68 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid (19 Degrees), 4 Hybrid (21 Degrees), 5 Hybrid (24 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (75 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Titleist 718 AP3 6 Iron (28 Degrees) through PW (43 Degrees) and Wedge (48 Degrees) - AMT Black S300 - Standard
    Titleist SM6 - 52 Degree F Grind 8 Degree Bounce and 56 Degree F Grind 14 Degree Bounce - Project X 6.0 - Standard
    2018 TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline
    Titleist AVX
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,437 ✭✭
    I call hogwash but whatever. Good thing Titleist never stops producing a certain ball. If they did you may as well retire by the way you talk about this ball.
  • Z4ParZ4Par Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:
    I call hogwash but whatever. Good thing Titleist never stops producing a certain ball. If they did you may as well retire by the way you talk about this ball.




    We can talk about the what ifs all day. Let’s talk about what’s happening. The positives. I hope your game is in a similar state.
    Callaway Rogue Draw Driver (10 Degrees) 9 Degree setup at +1, Neutral Setting - Aldila Synergy 50 (60 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 4 Wood (17 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (68 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid (19 Degrees), 4 Hybrid (21 Degrees), 5 Hybrid (24 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (75 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Titleist 718 AP3 6 Iron (28 Degrees) through PW (43 Degrees) and Wedge (48 Degrees) - AMT Black S300 - Standard
    Titleist SM6 - 52 Degree F Grind 8 Degree Bounce and 56 Degree F Grind 14 Degree Bounce - Project X 6.0 - Standard
    2018 TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline
    Titleist AVX
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,437 ✭✭
    Z4Par wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:
    I call hogwash but whatever. Good thing Titleist never stops producing a certain ball. If they did you may as well retire by the way you talk about this ball.




    We can talk about the what ifs all day. Let’s talk about what’s happening. The positives. I hope your game is in a similar state.






    Good thing I can play more than one ball effectively.
  • Z4ParZ4Par Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:
    Z4Par wrote:
    BiggErn wrote:
    I call hogwash but whatever. Good thing Titleist never stops producing a certain ball. If they did you may as well retire by the way you talk about this ball.




    We can talk about the what ifs all day. Let’s talk about what’s happening. The positives. I hope your game is in a similar state.






    Good thing I can play more than one ball effectively.




    Good for you. I can’t say my confidence and scoring capabilities would be the same. I find the most comfort and improved scoring in the one ball I’m playing.
    Callaway Rogue Draw Driver (10 Degrees) 9 Degree setup at +1, Neutral Setting - Aldila Synergy 50 (60 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 4 Wood (17 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (68 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid (19 Degrees), 4 Hybrid (21 Degrees), 5 Hybrid (24 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (75 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Titleist 718 AP3 6 Iron (28 Degrees) through PW (43 Degrees) and Wedge (48 Degrees) - AMT Black S300 - Standard
    Titleist SM6 - 52 Degree F Grind 8 Degree Bounce and 56 Degree F Grind 14 Degree Bounce - Project X 6.0 - Standard
    2018 TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline
    Titleist AVX
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,318 ✭✭
    BiggErn wrote:


    The AVX was created to compete directly with the Chrome Soft. That is a fact. If you see a major difference between the two then that’s ok.




    I found my reason why I don't like AVX.
  • ShortGameJunkieShortGameJunkie Members Posts: 342 ✭✭
    edited Jun 17, 2018 #327
    Z4Par wrote:

    BiggErn wrote:

    Z4Par wrote:
    I have to lol at the few guys who think a ball is cutting their handicap in half. So somewhere between a 5 & 15 percent reduction in spin and 1-2* lower launch than the ProV1 is cutting handicaps in half? And those are just the things that titleist is claiming, no numbers I’ve seen to even back it up yet.



    No those aren’t numbers they are providing, those are just the claims they are making(lower launch and spin) and if true, roughly what the changes would be I would think.



    Most premium balls are so similar that you can’t even tell the difference(especially if a blind test was done). And the ones that are different, are different by such a small amount that for 99.9% of golfers it would not equate to ANYWHERE close to a 50% reduction in handicap.




    Whoah...hold on brotha..



    I never said only the AVX is cutting my handicap in half. Do I think the AVX shaves strokes around the course? Absolutely. Everyone is looking to shave some strokes in there golf game. This ball paired with the right player can do that; just like a ProV for the right player. Strokes when shaved continuously by a couple shots a round is substantial in my book. Let’s be clear. The ball is not the sole key to dropping my handicap from 12 to 5. But the AVX is certainly aiding in finding more fairways, longer iron play, and confidence in my short game and those keys certainly add up to less strokes and lower scoring.








    Like he said, if you took the Titleist logo off the ball there’s at least a hand full of balls you could play instead of the AVX and not tell a bit of difference and even if you could your score wouldn’t change because it’s that small.




    So, since you know my golf game so well through a golf forum can you tell me why a Wilson Duo is not my cup of tea as far as feel? Do you know what I feel when I hit a Wilson? Do you know what I feel when I hit an AVX? We both know you don't know. Only me.



    A blind ball test is mentioned and not being able to tell the differences. If I was to hit only 1 shot with 5 different balls there is no way I could make a conclusion from this type of experiment what ball would be the one for me; even if it was 5 shots per ball; blind test = worthless. Consistency is what matters in this game and you are not going to find that in a blind ball test. Consistency over many rounds with a golf ball and being comfortable with its nuances from other balls. Not doing/saying, ''Oh, I hit this one shot the best out of the 5 so this is the ball for me!'' You've gotta spend a lot of time with a golf ball (way more than a simple blind ball test) to really know its the one, to learn the nuances of it, and call it a gamer from there.




    No one said the blind test was for one shot.



    Blank balls, label them ABCD etc. and play them throughout several rounds.



    Premium balls are too similar these days. I’m talking Z stars, ProVs, chrome soft, TP5, **** even snell MTB. You can throw duo in there if you want but it’s a lower price point urethane ball, was just trying to compare premium balls.



    Point is, no I don’t know your golf game but I do know that there is a very small difference between ProV1 and AVX. Like I said maybe a 5-10% reduction in spin, 5-10% lower peak height(launch/height who cares, it goes lower). That’s going to account for 7 strike being cut off your handicap? Don’t think so. You keep saying it’s not all the ball, it just shaves a few strokes here and there but you’ve yet to say what the other thing bringing down your handicap is.



    A 12 handicap and a 5 handicap are VERY different players as far as skill, and a lot of other things. A ball could NEVER be responsible for that.



    I just want to know what the other factor is aside from the avx that led to you going from a 12-5 in just the time the avx has been out. If you say confidence, that’s as mentioned above, hogwash. So you had your 12 hc level swing and 12 hc level short game but then avx comes along and because you now have confidence in your 12 hc level golf swing and short game that equates to a drop to 5?



    You realize how insane that sounds right? Unless there are some other changes or factors that you haven’t mentioned yet.
    Driver: 2016 M2 10.5* Fukijura pro 60 S

    3wood: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 15* Matrix Ozik Red Tie S

    3 hybrid: Ping G 19* Alta 70 S

    4i: Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal C-Taper Lite S

    5-GW: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged C-Taper Lite S

    Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 54* & 60*

    Putter: 2018 Newport 34”
  • artist08artist08 Members Posts: 721 ✭✭
    I gained both length and girth after gaming AVX. The frequency of erections now is alarming!
  • Z4ParZ4Par Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Z4Par wrote:

    BiggErn wrote:

    Z4Par wrote:
    I have to lol at the few guys who think a ball is cutting their handicap in half. So somewhere between a 5 & 15 percent reduction in spin and 1-2* lower launch than the ProV1 is cutting handicaps in half? And those are just the things that titleist is claiming, no numbers I’ve seen to even back it up yet.



    No those aren’t numbers they are providing, those are just the claims they are making(lower launch and spin) and if true, roughly what the changes would be I would think.



    Most premium balls are so similar that you can’t even tell the difference(especially if a blind test was done). And the ones that are different, are different by such a small amount that for 99.9% of golfers it would not equate to ANYWHERE close to a 50% reduction in handicap.




    Whoah...hold on brotha..



    I never said only the AVX is cutting my handicap in half. Do I think the AVX shaves strokes around the course? Absolutely. Everyone is looking to shave some strokes in there golf game. This ball paired with the right player can do that; just like a ProV for the right player. Strokes when shaved continuously by a couple shots a round is substantial in my book. Let’s be clear. The ball is not the sole key to dropping my handicap from 12 to 5. But the AVX is certainly aiding in finding more fairways, longer iron play, and confidence in my short game and those keys certainly add up to less strokes and lower scoring.








    Like he said, if you took the Titleist logo off the ball there’s at least a hand full of balls you could play instead of the AVX and not tell a bit of difference and even if you could your score wouldn’t change because it’s that small.




    So, since you know my golf game so well through a golf forum can you tell me why a Wilson Duo is not my cup of tea as far as feel? Do you know what I feel when I hit a Wilson? Do you know what I feel when I hit an AVX? We both know you don't know. Only me.



    A blind ball test is mentioned and not being able to tell the differences. If I was to hit only 1 shot with 5 different balls there is no way I could make a conclusion from this type of experiment what ball would be the one for me; even if it was 5 shots per ball; blind test = worthless. Consistency is what matters in this game and you are not going to find that in a blind ball test. Consistency over many rounds with a golf ball and being comfortable with its nuances from other balls. Not doing/saying, ''Oh, I hit this one shot the best out of the 5 so this is the ball for me!'' You've gotta spend a lot of time with a golf ball (way more than a simple blind ball test) to really know its the one, to learn the nuances of it, and call it a gamer from there.




    No one said the blind test was for one shot.



    Blank balls, label them ABCD etc. and play them throughout several rounds.



    Premium balls are too similar these days. I’m talking Z stars, ProVs, chrome soft, TP5, **** even snell MTB. You can throw duo in there if you want but it’s a lower price point urethane ball, was just trying to compare premium balls.



    Point is, no I don’t know your golf game but I do know that there is a very small difference between ProV1 and AVX. Like I said maybe a 5-10% reduction in spin, 5-10% lower peak height(launch/height who cares, it goes lower). That’s going to account for 7 strike being cut off your handicap? Don’t think so. You keep saying it’s not all the ball, it just shaves a few strokes here and there but you’ve yet to say what the other thing bringing down your handicap is.



    A 12 handicap and a 5 handicap are VERY different players as far as skill, and a lot of other things. A ball could NEVER be responsible for that.



    I just want to know what the other factor is aside from the avx that led to you going from a 12-5 in just the time the avx has been out. If you say confidence, that’s as mentioned above, hogwash. So you had your 12 hc level swing and 12 hc level short game but then avx comes along and because you now have confidence in your 12 hc level golf swing and short game that equates to a drop to 5?



    You realize how insane that sounds right? Unless there are some other changes or factors that you haven’t mentioned yet.




    Just got done shooting a 3 day invite with the AVX; 78, 79, 76.



    I swear no one has read what I’ve wrote on this thread. AGAIN, ITS NOT JUST THE BALL!!! There are many factors that have lead to me splitting my handicap down to a 4.5 index now. Probably has a lot to do with the 33 rounds I now have posted. I will say a lot of it is confidence in my equipment and mentally knowing I can shoot good golf scores consistently now. Does the AVX save me shots around the golf course in comparison to other balls I’ve played, absolutely. I never once said my handicap split in more than 2 simply due to the AVX. All I’ve said was my handicap drop and that I game the AVX. You and a couple others took that completely out of context and said I said my handicap went down more than half due to just the AVX. Never once did I say I that.



    For some background; I was a 4.5 index on a very easy golf course 8 years ago. However, I am now a 4.5 index on a very narrow, small and fast turtle back greens golf course. Again, I do feel there is a big difference for me playing this ball. How many shots? I wouldn’t be afraid to say 1-4 shots a round given how well I’m playing that day. I think these 1-4 shots save me in all areas; less spin off the tee; longer iron shots for less club into greens; better short game feel; the list goes on. Do I consider 1-4 shots substantial? Yes.



    I play the AVX; I know how it reacts to other balls than I’ve played and along with that has came stellar scoring along with a drop in my index. Per my other posts; I’ve also mentioned that when paired properly with the right equipment and the right player the AVX can be a game changer. I think I fall in that category with the all new equipment and being a high spin player. That’s all I have to say. Good luck with your game and if your a father, Happy Fathers Day.
    Callaway Rogue Draw Driver (10 Degrees) 9 Degree setup at +1, Neutral Setting - Aldila Synergy 50 (60 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 4 Wood (17 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (68 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid (19 Degrees), 4 Hybrid (21 Degrees), 5 Hybrid (24 Degrees) - Aldila Synergy 60 (75 Grams) Stiff - Standard
    Titleist 718 AP3 6 Iron (28 Degrees) through PW (43 Degrees) and Wedge (48 Degrees) - AMT Black S300 - Standard
    Titleist SM6 - 52 Degree F Grind 8 Degree Bounce and 56 Degree F Grind 14 Degree Bounce - Project X 6.0 - Standard
    2018 TaylorMade Spider Tour Red Sightline
    Titleist AVX
  • ShortGameJunkieShortGameJunkie Members Posts: 342 ✭✭
    ^^ lol unfortunately that’s what I thought you would say. Confidence and a 5-10% reduction in spin = 12hc to a 4.5 in less than 3 months. You kept saying it’s not just the ball, which by the way, we ALL knew. But the only other reason you’ve given is confidence in equipment.



    So to all you guys looking to drop your handicap, switch to a ball that spins +/- 5-10% compared to your current ball and have confidence in your equipment and your handicap will drop over 60%!



    This really isn’t a big deal I just find it so insanely ridiculous that I have to. The reason you are playing better is 99% your swing improving. Confidence in equipment does not make a handicap drop over 60%, a 5-10% reduction in spin also does not lead to a 60% drop in handicap. Nor does 1/2 - 1 less club into greens and sorry 200-400 rpm less spin is not gonna help you hit more than MAYBE at best 1 fairway per round. All of these things together still do not equal 12 - 4.5.



    My point isn’t that you aren’t shooting better scores or hitting more fairways. My point is that you are doing this because your swing has improved whether you know it/think so or not. The things mentioned in the paragraph above does not equal 12-4.5. But an improved swing can and obviously you found something. A 12 hc and a 4.5 hc are very different players, you don’t get from 12 to 4.5 because of a ball and confidence in your equipment. If you think that your drop in handicap is because you know the avx and how it will react, because it spins a generous 200-500 rpm less off the driver, you have less club into the green(1/2 - 1) and because of better short game feel? and not because your swing has improved then you are very very delusional and I feel bad.



    So to reiterate. 99% your swing, 1% new ball.



    Does it spin less off the driver? Maybe so I’ll give you a very very small increase in accuracy and 5-10 yards more. Less club into greens? Sure 9i instead of 8i, ok.



    Confidence in equipment? Ok great.



    Again do these things equal 12-4.5? No



    Does improved swing equal 12-4.5? Yup



    So congrats on your improved swing but wake up man, such small differences in golf balls will never make that much of a difference to any golfer. ****, find the 2 most different current golf balls and they won’t account for over 60% change in handicap.



    Neither will confidence in equipment!!
    Driver: 2016 M2 10.5* Fukijura pro 60 S

    3wood: Tour Edge Exotics EX9 15* Matrix Ozik Red Tie S

    3 hybrid: Ping G 19* Alta 70 S

    4i: Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal C-Taper Lite S

    5-GW: Mizuno JPX 900 Forged C-Taper Lite S

    Wedges: Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 54* & 60*

    Putter: 2018 Newport 34”
  • bbp1bbp1 Members Posts: 128
    I've played Pro V1/x, TP5x, Chrome Soft X and now AVX this year. Trackman optimizer told me my only paraeter out of line with my current M3 driver is a little too much spin, so naturally i tried the AVX. For me it had a great flight off the driver. The thing flies straight for me. Noticeably straight. I'm only concerned that because my P790 mid irons already spin less, that the lower spin of this ball will be a problem holding greens. Can't say thats true for sure yet. its a great ball IMO. other than being soft it doesn't remind me at all of the Chrome soft X. Thats a spin machine. Love the short game behavior of that ball. TP5x is a great ball, doesnt stop as well on the greens and fells "heavier" for lack of a better description. Currently i'm gaming the chrome soft X, but still experimenting with the AVX.
    Driver-Taylormade M3 10.5-1
    3-5 Woods-Taylormade M3
    Callaway Epic Hybrid 20degree
    Irons 4-9- Taylormade P790
    Wedges 46,52,60 Vokey SM-7
    Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    HCP 2.9
Sign In or Register to comment.