Stability Putter Shaft...worth the dough

brockgolf44

If Tiger doesn't use it I don't use it.....lol. Just kidding, or am I?

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

The amount of torque in an oversized grip will overwhelm any stability increase inherent in the shaft. Take a full swing with a SuperStroke putter grip and you will see what I mean. Grips do not resist twisting nearly as much as shafts. Maybe use it without a grip.

That may be true in statics but not always the case in dynamics. It takes time for the torsional forces and stresses to travel from the head, where they are generated, up the shaft to the grip. If the ball is gone and left the face before they get to the grip, then how much twisting occurs in the grip is irrelevant to what the ball will do.

The amount of torque in an oversized grip will overwhelm any stability increase inherent in the shaft. Take a full swing with a SuperStroke putter grip and you will see what I mean. Grips do not resist twisting nearly as much as shafts. Maybe use it without a grip.

That may be true in statics but not always the case in dynamics. It takes time for the torsional forces and stresses to travel from the head, where they are generated, up the shaft to the grip. If the ball is gone and left the face before they get to the grip, then how much twisting occurs in the grip is irrelevant to what the ball will do.

With a shaft with nearly no torque, wouldn't the torsional forces transfer to the grip nearly instantaneously? I guess it would be pretty easy to test.

With a shaft with nearly no torque, wouldn't the torsional forces transfer to the grip nearly instantaneously? I guess it would be pretty easy to test.

Well, first of all there is really no such thing as truly zero torque (infinite stiffness). But yes, the modulus can effect the 'transmission speed' up the shaft. However, since one might say the time the ball is in contact with the face is also 'instantaneous', it still becomes a question of which 'instantaneous' will beat the other :-)

No, not all that easy at least for a layman to test. With detailed design specs, a pretty good estimate could be computed with some of the more advanced design/simulation software (e.g. Finite Element Analysis).

I've seen less accurate estimates calculated for a driver impact that showed only about the lower 1'-2' of the shaft might have some small influence on the motion of the head while the ball is still in contact. Yes the shafts are not as stiff but the forces are significantly larger than anything seen with the putter. So can't say for sure but would not expect the shaft to have more influence in a putter than a driver.

Well, first of all there is really no such thing as truly zero torque (infinite stiffness). But yes, the modulus can effect the 'transmission speed' up the shaft. However, since one might say the time the ball is in contact with the face is also 'instantaneous', it still becomes a question of which 'instantaneous' will beat the other :-)

No, not all that easy at least for a layman to test. With detailed design specs, a pretty good estimate could be computed with some of the more advanced design/simulation software (e.g. Finite Element Analysis).

I've seen less accurate estimates calculated for a driver impact that showed only about the lower 1'-2' of the shaft might have some small influence on the motion of the head while the ball is still in contact. Yes the shafts are not as stiff but the forces are significantly larger than anything seen with the putter. So can't say for sure but would not expect the shaft to have more influence in a putter than a driver.

By testing all I meant was hitting slight "mishits" from a fixtured putter, (Kind a like a simple Iron Byron) with various shafts and grips. I know it would not really test the transmission of torsional forces on the shaft /grip set-ups, but it would test pretty close to real world performance outcomes. My Hypothesis is that the noise from all of the other uncontrolled variables would overwhelm any performance differences as far as holed putts are concerned.

By testing all I meant was hitting slight "mishits" from a fixtured putter, (Kind a like a simple Iron Byron) with various shafts and grips.

Not sure I'd consider building such a machine that could accurately reproduce duplicate swings 'easy' :-) But yes, that method might produce some useful data.

I've been searching info on this shaft after trying one yesterday at TXG (I had not heard of it until then).

I'm a reasonably good putter with a hdcp that bounced between 2-3.7 last summer. I've been using Blast Golf so far this winter and it's shown that I do have a bit of an issue with the face rotating on me. I do have a bit of a quick putting tempo ala Snedeker.

TXG's putter fitting showed that the loft on my Spider needed to be slightly reduced and then the roll became a little more smooth.

The face rotation was of course still there but then I tried a Spider with the BGT shaft. Suddenly it was less by about, iirc, 3/4*. I hadn't considered shaft torque before but after discussing it, it made sense.

I could see the numbers and the difference it made for me was enough to buy the shaft.

Is everyone going to benefit from this shaft? I don't know. Would a very slow and smooth putter stroke create less torque? Maybe. That's not my style of stroke.

All I can say is that this shaft was creating less deflection for me. The data proved it.

I just had club champion install this shaft on my TM spider L neck. So far I have 3 rounds with it. My thoughts so far....

1. It took a little getting used to, the putter felt different during the stroke. Not a good or bad different, just a different feel overall. To me the weight of the club felt like it was spread out throughout the shaft rather than in just the head

2. My speed was much more consistent with the shaft installed.

3. I use a line all the way around my ball for a couple reasons, one of them is lining up my putts. The line on my ball was rolling much more consistently end over end. Even after the ball had traveled 15-20 feet it was stilling rolling end over end.

I had three playing partners mention that they had never seen my golf ball roll so true over the course of multiple rounds, one of them even asked what I had changed or what I was working on. I’m not saying this is the end-all be-all for all golfers, nor do I have any metrics to say how much better it is than the regular shaft that it replaced, other than what I saw the ball doing. YMMV

For players in contracts, they may not be allowed to.

Do you think Scotty or Ping want STABILITY written on the shaft taking away from people seeing SCOTTY CAMERON/PING on the grip or putter?

A tour pro could certainly afford to purchase, install and simply hide the graphics.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

One only need look at the shaft to realize it’s a Frankenstein build, the wide OD extends nearly all the way down to the hosel. It’s also got a ferrule-like piece at the transition point. I’m pretty sure I(and others) will notice the difference on TV when I get around to watching golf again in the spring.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

• 2 weeks later...

By testing all I meant was hitting slight "mishits" from a fixtured putter, (Kind a like a simple Iron Byron) with various shafts and grips. I know it would not really test the transmission of torsional forces on the shaft /grip set-ups, but it would test pretty close to real world performance outcomes. My Hypothesis is that the noise from all of the other uncontrolled variables would overwhelm any performance differences as far as holed putts are concerned.

I guess at the end of day, if people are feeling and seeing real world performance then that is all that should matter, and they will sell a lot of them.

I too would like to see the putting robot (simple kind as used in the Evnroll pony show) hitting the same putter head with a steel shaft and then this shaft, on center, toe and heel hits on a 10’ and 20’ putt just see the real world ball roll out.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

Wife bought me a Stability shaft for Christmas. Sent putter off yesterday for them to install into my Argolf Pendragon. BTG said Mike Goodes on the Champions tour had one installed in the same putter. Likely won't have back until early 2019, but, will report back. FWIW: Watching the European tour, noticed Erik van Rooyen was using this shaft. First pro I have seen using one.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

After practincg with mine, I'm of the oprinion that if you have a faster putting tempo (mine is about 2.4:1) you could very well benefit from the BGT shaft. Slower? Maybe not.

My Blast Golf sensor tells me that the face rotation of my putter is now about a 1/2 degree less on average when putting 8' putts.

That's the longest I can practice at home and when I was fit for the shaft, the benefits were seen more on longer putts.

I just can't get past the idea that putting is all about the indian.

And yet the Indian would spend countless hours making the arrows just perfect, honing the head, shaving and tweaking he shaft, adjusting the fletching to get just the right amount of spin and drag. And countless more hours tuning their bow to get just the right amount of power and control. They knew no matter how talented they were, the equipment had to be excellent and match their style perfectly or they would go hungry.

"Indian and not the arrow" has to be the most trite, and inaccurate, expression in all of golf.

• Like 2

I stopped by a Club Champion to try one out. Stability shafts supplied them with two putters, each with identical heads, one with a steel shaft and the other with the Stability shaft so that people could compare the two. I only got to roll about 30 putts but I am not sure that I get it but they do look pretty cool. He stated they have sold 25 in the last couple of months.

Driver - Cobra Speedzone

Hybrids

Cobra 17
      Wishon 775 21

Wishon 775 24 
Irons - Callaway Apex MB 6-A
Wedges - Maltby 54 60 TSW DRM
Putters - L.A.B Blad.1 and L.A.B. DF 2.1 Long
Titleist Yellow ProV1x / AVX 

• 1 month later...

So, I go into Club Champion and told myself " don't buy anything, you're happy with all the clubs in your bag right now, just get the adapter switched on driver shafts and your wedge bent and get out of there...dont be a ho." 45 min later I have bought Honma irons and a $200 putter shaft.

In regards to the putter shaft...its the Stability shaft created in part by Barney Adams. I was sold after my first stroke with it on the putting green, and I never buy putters in stores so this is one area where my "ho'n" is under control.

The consistent stroke, contact and feel was like nothing I had ever felt in a putter. I went to get mine out of my car and test against it and I immediately felt as if I was holding a putter with a junior Flex graphite shaft in it. The Stability takes virtually all of the flex and torque (actually much more complex than that but will keep it simple) out of the shaft and essentially prevents your putter head from twisting off line throughout the stroke and at impact.

Two rounds later and a couple of putting green sessions...I will say it's an adjustment on longer delicate putts but overall amazing. I have found that I am leaving putts short because (I think) I'm not getting that extra lag/flex like I did in the past. It's just a matter of getting used to having less of the "hit" and being more reliant on the "stroke." However, I have had made all the 5-7 footers I have had with it because you virtually cannot miss your line with this shaft. As long as you hit it hard enough the ball goes exactly where you aimed and lined it up.

As for the cost...$200 is a bit silly, but if you really break down the $/usage compared to the other clubs we ho's regularly drop $200 + on...its really nothing. I have had set ups way more expensive than this in my 3-wood and driving iron of which I often times go multiple rounds where I don't hit either of them.

If there is a shop somewhere near you that has one I'd recommend giving it a try. The good thing about it is you can just slide it right on your current putter so you're not learning to putt with a new putter you're just hopefully improving the one you've already got in your bag. Interested and to see if anybody else has tried it and has had the same experience.

Did you have this installed or did you do it yourself Thanks

I'm really disappointed that we seem to get endless gadgets in golf that quite frankly don't make any difference. Tiger Woods the best putter we will probably ever see uses a normal scotty cameron with a normal steel shaft with a normal grip

Yes but Tiger Woods is a professional and has the best coaching in the world available.Practices Hours a day. Unlike us mere mortals.We can take lessons form the best in our area and HOPE we can remember what the technique and training we had sticks. We also putt on sub par greens. So any equipment help we can get in my opinion cant hurt.

• 1 month later...

H> @Jagpilotohio said:

> $200 putter shaft?

>

>

>

> 10 X’s the price of a “standard” $20 putter shaft??

>

>

>

> So that’s like a $2000 driver shaft versus a “standard” $200 driver shaft.

>

>

>

> What’s that old saying?....when pigs fly.

Haha...keep in mind though that people were paying $400 for Dynamic golds because they were weighed as a set with Tour on the shaft band when you could but the same thing at the time for $80 with the old gold band. At least this is an innovative product and actually is quite intriguing. Truth is there really has been very little focus on putter shafts considering how many offerings there are for all other clubs. I have had several putters in my life that the shaft just felt wrong.

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

• 3 weeks later...

I got mine at the beginning of this week. I installed it in a Ping Fetch which had the super soft OEM shaft in it. I don't have any data, just my experience on the course this week playing 3 18 holes rounds with it. I'm a junkie just like the rest of the people on this site, and this shaft is by far the best purchase I have made in years of buying anything I thought would help the game. My playing partners are calling me a cheater, its made that much of a difference in my putting. I'm dropping putts from everywhere, the roll is just so much better. Not sure if it's the balance/weight or the way the head now meets the ball, but I am truly rolling the ball like I never have and the ball stays on line.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

Price Stability..i am always keen to try new tech..once the product has broken in too the marketplace and price falls to 40% of current levels.Having a smooth stbk st thru putter stroke i dont impart twist.Always love new tech cheers.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

Here’s my .02

While I was as big a skeptic especially with this concept the results so far are promising. I have a gamer I don’t like to mess with AT ALL, but I got a smoke deal to test the shaft and jumped. I figured if it could take me from good to great then definitely worth the money, especially when I look at the money I NEVER recover from my GolfWRX club/shaft hoeing. While I appreciate all the lab testing and YouTube videos ALL I CARE ABOUT are on the course results. As an example I’ve hit so many optimized/fit clubs that perform like crap on the course I stopped bothering.

I don’t know what it is, hard to describe really, but on the course the RESULTS are awesome. If you’re a good putter could be worth 1-3 strokes on the greens. I am all over the cup especially from distance and putts hold a laser line/track amazing and early indications are i’m saving two strokes on the greens min.

1. If you’re a great putter might help but why mess with success

2. Pretty good putter, it could shave 2+ strokes which may or may not be worth it to you.

I was worried about feel/balance change as someone stated earlier but has been a non-issue. More head heavy feel for sure but contact still feels sweet and adjustment was minimal.