Wilson Milled 8802 - Going back in time sort of!

theothertwotheothertwo Members Posts: 2,477 ✭✭
edited Mar 12, 2019 2:41pm in Putters #1
Such a simple and classic design but with some modern modifications. This putter is so sweet, never really used one before. I learned with a Bullseye and then moved to a Ping Anser 3. This kinda reminds me of the Bullseye I had. No alignment aid, find the sweet spot.

Why does this design work so well?

Also experimenting with a Best Grips leather grip, a little fatter and less tackier than my usual Ping Man grip so it takes getting used to. Good quality leather grip.

Post edited by Unknown User on
Honma TW 727 455s 10.5* Driver
Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
Honma TW 727 25* Hybrid
Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
Miura 2018 Tour Wedges 52* and 58*
Taylor Made TP Black Copper Ardmore 3 Putter

Comments

• kwelifankwelifan Members Posts: 323 ✭✭
    It works for me because you stop thinking about stance, grip, alignment etc, and start thinking about how to use this stick to hit that ball into the hole. It seems to let your natural physical ability take over.

And then I give up on these things because everything inside 5 feet is freaking impossible to make without some kind of alignment aide. They sure do look sweet though and for some reason I keep buying them.
  • DDG61DDG61 Posts: 98 ✭✭
    Went from TM Spyder to 8802 a few months back. Talk about both ends of the spectrum!

Love the simplicity and lack of “thought” now associated with my putting.

That said when it’s not pure she ain’t happy and isn’t shy on making this known.
  • theothertwotheothertwo Members Posts: 2,477 ✭✭
    kwelifan wrote:

It works for me because you stop thinking about stance, grip, alignment etc, and start thinking about how to use this stick to hit that ball into the hole. It seems to let your natural physical ability take over.

And then I give up on these things because everything inside 5 feet is freaking impossible to make without some kind of alignment aide. They sure do look sweet though and for some reason I keep buying them.

Good enough for Ben Crenshaw, hold it lightly and let it swing back and forth. Thanks for the feedback.
    Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Honma TW 727 25* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
  • egehoskiegehoski Members Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I spent a lot of years and money trying a ton of putters, before I realized the Cleveland Designed By that was in my basement was the putter I should be using. To me, it’s just simpler. Everything is easier for me with a blade. Distance control, accuracy. I still try other putters, because that’s just the nature of the beast. But I always go back to the blade. It fits my stroke. I tend to leave the face open with a mallet or any of the bigger spaceship looking putters. Long live the blade.
  • Brass_BullseyeBrass_Bullseye BrassBullseye Members Posts: 304 ✭✭

Such a simple and classic design but with some modern modifications. This putter is so sweet, never really used one before. I learned with a Bullseye and then moved to a Ping Anser 3. This kinda reminds me of the Bullseye I had. No alignment aid, find the sweet spot.

Why does this design work so well?

I bought that same putter when they released it four or five years ago. I love the feel and the look but I just didn’t make many putts with it. Switched to a 50 year old Bullseye for a while and then snagged an Odyssey O-works #7. I make a lot more 6-10 footers than I used to and my lag putting has improved considerably.
    Titleist 915 D2 Driver,
    Titleist 915F 3W
    Titleist 915H 2H
    Titleist 716 CB irons 3-PW
    Titleist SM6 Vokey Wedges, 52.08F, 56.08M
    Odyssey O-Works Red #7
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,933 ✭✭
    edited Mar 2, 2019 11:45pm #7
    Of all my putters, my 8802 never gets into the rotation. Maybe that will change this year. Mine is an "original" from the early 80s. That one above is really nice!
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,026 ✭✭
    I play one and I know there is not a putter I could putt better with
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • bodhi555bodhi555 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    I used the copy of this Yonex made for Phil Mickelson for about 20 years on and off, only reason I changed was the polished carbon steel was a bit reflective for sunny days.

I've gone to a Del Mar now, as I get a similar feel with a bit more help on mishits.

On fast greens though, there is nothing better than an 8802.
    The Blue Thunder: Nike Vapor Fly - 9.5 degree - Speeder Evolution 757X
    The Stenson: Nike Vapor Fly 3W - Mitsubishi JvlnFX 74 X-Flex
    The Walking Stick: Titleist 818 H2 19 degree - Aldila Rogue Max 85X
    The Blades: Nike VR Pro 4i - PW - DG S400 TI Shaft
    The Rusties: Nike Engage 50, 54 Square Sole, 58 Toe Sweep
    The Putter: Nike "The Oven" Method 003
    Balls: Nike RZN Tour Black/Platinum, Bridgestone Tour B XS, Titleist AVX
    Bag: Sun Mountain Four Five

Also in Rotation:

Driving Iron: Nike Vapor Fly 2 iron - KBS C-Taper 120S
    Wedge: Nike Engage 58 Dual Sole
    Putters: Yonex Super A.D.X Tour Forged / Scotty Cameron Newport Oil Can / Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
  • wcbjrwcbjr Members Posts: 2,780 ✭✭
    You should probably use another club out of that St. Augustine and other assorted cabbage.
  • BrianMcGBrianMcG Members Posts: 2,224 ✭✭
    I have an 8882 that was made when this one was made.

It's one of the best putters I've ever had. I feel like these should have been way more popular than they were. I got mine for $35 on discount. Lost the head over as it never stayed on right.

Any time I swap it out for something else I always go back to it. It just putts so smoothly.
    Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
    Bobby: I play because I love it.
    Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.
  • kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 209 ✭✭
    Love these milled ones, add nice style on an older proven shape. I've only got an old AP personal Campbell putter in this shape, love to have an 8802.
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Bio-Cell 16.5*
    PING G30 4 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
    edited Mar 4, 2019 12:03pm #13
    wcbjr wrote:

You should probably use another club out of that St. Augustine and other assorted cabbage.

Southern California weeds pretending to be grass.....a bit of St. Augustine over seed so you're right.
    Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Honma TW 727 25* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
    edited Mar 4, 2019 12:01pm #14
    bodhi555 wrote:

I used the copy of this Yonex made for Phil Mickelson for about 20 years on and off, only reason I changed was the polished carbon steel was a bit reflective for sunny days.

I've gone to a Del Mar now, as I get a similar feel with a bit more help on mishits.

Yeah, I have that Yonex and I use it on cloudy days because the shiney chrome is blinding sometimes.

bodhi555 wrote:

Yeah, I have that Yonex and I use it on cloudy days because the shiny chrome is blinding sometimes. Super solid feel even with the graphite shaft.

Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Honma TW 727 25* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
  • bazinozbazinoz Posts: 498 ✭✭
    I collect these 8802's. I've got the one in the OP, plus that Yonex (doesn't get out much in the Queensland sun).

The new Wilson milled 8802 is great if you want a heavier 8802. Most of the early ones are very light.

I'm no great putter (hang on.... yes I am. I am a great putter, I am a great putter...) but these work just as well or better than any other styles.

And they all look absolutely beautiful.

Here's some of mine. And the Rife Bimini in the bottom picture is my current "in use". She's gorgeous.

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg
    bazinoz wrote:

I collect these 8802's. I've got the one in the OP, plus that Yonex (doesn't get out much in the Queensland sun).

The new Wilson milled 8802 is great if you want a heavier 8802. Most of the early ones are very light.

I'm no great putter (hang on.... yes I am. I am a great putter, I am a great putter...) but these work just as well or better than any other styles.

Here's some of mine. And the Rife Bimini in the bottom picture is my current "in use". She's gorgeous.

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg
    bazinoz wrote:

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg

Great collection. So good. What is the weight of the Rife Bimini? I believe the Milled 8802 is 335 grams, cut it down to 33.5" and love it.
    Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Honma TW 727 25* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
    bazinoz wrote:

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg

Great collection. So good. What is the weight of the Rife Bimini? I believe the Milled 8802 is 335 grams, cut it down to 33.5" and love it.
    Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Honma TW 727 25* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
  • craz-ecraz-e Members Posts: 4,026 ✭✭
    bazinoz wrote:

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg

I am always on the look out for a Tropical Bimini, just perfect!
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    5 Wood = Taylormade Burner

Irons = Miura 1957 Baby Blades Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wilson Staff FG59 DG S300's (4-PW)
    Titleist 718 MB Project X LZ 6.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56* and 60*

= Taylormade 64* Hi-Toe
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • bazinozbazinoz Posts: 498 ✭✭

According to the specs she's 345g. That seems about right to me, heavy-ish for an 8802.
  • greggreg Members Posts: 82 ✭✭
    Never could putt with one of those - got hit it just right.
  • armyhawk3342armyhawk3342 Members Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Love this style putter. My dad got the same one in the OP 2 years ago and loves it. I got Ping's version of the 8802 with the Sigma G Tess and it's perfect for me. I don't need the fancy alignment aids because I look at the hole when I putt. I paired it with the Flat Cat grip and I have a lot more confidence in my putting.
    Driver: Cobra F8+ (9.5*)
    Wood: Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5)
    Hybrid: Cobra F7 (22*), Cobra F8 (25*)
    Irons: Cobra King Pro MB Black (6-PW)
    Wedges: Callaway MD4 Tactical (50* S Grind, 54* S Grind, 58* X Grind)
    Putter: Ping Sigma G Tess
    Ball: Titleist AVX/ Wilson Staff Duo U
  • dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the game MinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,532 ✭✭
    Adding one to my collection of "cheap" milled putters. Shockingly, that will be my 11th Wilson Staff club, if it makes it into the bag! Unbelievable.
    PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
    Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
    Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility 4 Iron
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 5-GW
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Blue Tour Grind 56* and 60*
    One of several milled putters
  • PreppySlapCutPreppySlapCut This is just babytown frolics... Members Posts: 6,369 ✭✭
    The new ones are too heavy, imo.
    Ping G400 MAX 9* w/ Tour 65 (S)
    Ping G 14.5* & 19.5* w/ Tour 80 (X)
    Ping G30 22* w/ Accra Kuchar Proto 85 (X)
    Ping i210 5-PW w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 55*, 60* w/ Aldila RIP 115 (S)
    Scotty Cameron Toolbox
  • Forged4everForged4ever Putting is 98%+ Mental..... ClubWRX Posts: 15,593 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 15, 2019 2:52am #24
    Yeppers, the dual milled circa 2014 8802 is SAAAAWEEEET👌🏼!!!

Having used “The Wilson 8802” for 33-34 years of my last 36 years in the game, it’s the sh**, though Madison getting Mr. Palmer’s signature on it put the kabosh on rollin it again, and I retired it, lol

Mitch came through big time with a pristine “The Wilson 8802” and then Maddie surprised me a few weeks ago with a blackened “The Wilson 8802,” which since my stroke and loss of sight in my left eye does make it easier to align the ball and cuts down on the glare, though that stuff never even entered my mind prior to all this medical stuff, lol.

My mental game ain’t what it used to be, haha

I have all of the subsequent 8802 renditions & reissues and the 8843 that is pictured was a gift some years ago from Sam.

It was the last blade in his bag before he switched styles and of course, putters.

I had my initials stamped in it and rolled it for two seasons before going back to my 8802. The 8843 is the MP-14 of the Wilson/Staff putter blades and **** is it sweet, however you better have a lot confidence in your stroke, hahaha. It makes the 8802 look like a mallet putter, lol

All told, of my 137 putters, 79 are heel shafted blades, so it’s safe to say that if it appeared in a pro shop or a Pro’s bag, I’ve either got it, had it, or traded it away.

The latest edition dual milled 8802 is as fine a blade as I own and I prefer it over my KM-008 & even my Mac VIP TFP 90-1, on which the Miura KM-350 & 008 were based, and that Mac is the real deal!!

The latest edition 8802 versus my Napas??

Paaaleeease, lol

Seriously, not even close~

Ask Maddie, those Scottie Napas, including a custom and 2 T’s, haven’t left the cedar closet in years, lolol

The only putter that I own that comes close to the dual milled 8802 is of course The Wilson 8802 & Mac, and the Odyssey Black Tour #8, which is right there with the Wilsons and Mac.

You got a great blade, and I wish ya all the best with it!!

And your grip??

They don’t get any better than Best Grips or Zach!!

He’s as Classy as they come!!

****, you’re one of the Plank Owners!!

Hats off 🎩 Brother👊

Thanks for posting!

Fairways & Grerns 4ever My Friend⛳️

RP
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • dxdgenertdxdgenert Dirtiest player in the game MinnesotaMembers Posts: 1,532 ✭✭
    edited Mar 14, 2019 9:20pm #25
    Putted with it on my Pelz Truth Board and it is very sweet feeling. It’ll definitely be in contention for my putter this season. I’ll have to take it to the greens where it will be up against a Seemore PTM1, Bettinardi BB1F, and (amazingly) a MacGregor Bobby Grace M5K. The Seemore is a great putter, I like the looks of the Bettinardi and the MacG has the high-moi-thing going for it. But, just maybe, the 8802 can drop some putts and earn the nod.
    PING G400 MAX w/ Alta CB
    Cobra KING F7 fairway w/ Fujikura Pro 65
    Cobra KING F7 hybrid w/ Fujikura Pro 75H
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 Utility 4 Iron
    Wilson Staff FG Tour V4 5-GW
    Wilson Staff FG Tour PMP Blue Tour Grind 56* and 60*
    One of several milled putters
  • sdandreasdandrea Steve Members Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    kwelifan wrote:

We keep buying them because they look sweet.
    Cobra Max 10.5*
    The Perfect Club 21*
    Cobra Baffler 5h
    PING Eye 2 6-SW
    Scotty Fastback
  • Life on 14Life on 14 Members Posts: 16 ✭✭
    bazinoz wrote:

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-4317.jpg

Dang dude, some would say you have a problem, I’m not one of those people but wow, that’s a collection right there is serious putter degenerate action. Mad respect
    edited Mar 14, 2019 9:31pm #28

Yeppers, the dual milled circa 2016 8802 is SAAAAWEEEET����!!!

Having used "The Wilson 8802" for 33-34 years of my last 36 years in the game, it's the sh**, though Madison getting Mr. Palmer's signature on it put the kabosh on rollin it again, and I retired it, lol

Mitch came through big time with a pristine "The Wilson 8802" and then Maddie surprised me a few weeks ago with a blackened "The Wilson 8802," which since my stroke and loss of sight in my left eye does make it easier to align the ball and cuts down on the glare, though that stuff never even entered my mind prior to all this medical stuff, lol.

My mental game ain't what it used to be, haha

I have all of the subsequent 8802 renditions & reissues and the 8843 that is pictured was a gift some years ago from Sam.

It was the last blade in his bag before he switched styles and of course, putters.

I had my initials stamped in it and rolled it for two seasons before going back to my 8802. The 8843 is the MP-14 of the Wilson/Staff putter blades and **** is it sweet, however you better have a lot confidence in your stroke, hahaha. It makes the 8802 look like a mallet putter, lol

All told, of my 137 putters, 79 are heel shafted blades, so it's safe to say that if it appeared in a pro shop or a Pro's bag, I've either got it, had it, or traded it away.

The latest edition dual milled 8802 is as fine a blade as I own and I prefer it over my KM-008 & even my Mac VIP TFP 90-1, on which the Miura KM-350 & 008 were based, and that Mac is the real deal!!

The latest edition 8802 versus my Napas??

Paaaleeease, lol

Seriously, not even close~

Ask Maddie, those Scottie Napas, including a custom and 2 T's, haven't left the cedar closet in years, lolol

The only putter that I own that comes close to the dual milled 8802 is of course The Wilson 8802, and the Odyssey Black Tour #8, which is right there with the Wilsons and Mac.

You got a great blade, and I wish ya all the best with it!!

And your grip??

They don't get any better than Best Grips or Zach!!

He's as Classy as they come!!

****, you're one of the Plank Owners!!

Hats off �� Brother��

Thanks for posting!

Fairways & Grerns 4ever My Friend⛳️

RP

Wow, nice collection, the Miura and MacGregor look great as well. Thanks, coming from a collector and a user like you, I am really glad I have this milled 8802. Getting used to the leather grip, good combo.
    Honma TW 727 18* 5 Wood
    Honma TW 727 22* Hybrid
    Honma TW 727 25* Hybrid
    Miura CB 57 4-PW Irons
  • Forged4everForged4ever Putting is 98%+ Mental..... ClubWRX Posts: 15,593 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 15, 2019 3:19am #29

The new ones are too heavy, imo.
    The Wilson 8802 pictured in my post above, the first 8802 produced, has a head weight of 330gr(35”) and the circa 2014 model pictured in this thread has a 335gr(35”) head weight.

Cheers🍻

RP
    In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24
  • ColoradovetoColoradoveto Members Posts: 3

I’ve got a Yes! Sophia, pretty much the same shape, that I put back in the rotation recently. Nothing looks better to my eye.

• tatertottatertot Members Posts: 4,300 ✭✭

Flanigan makes a great 8802-style ... It's in my bag as we speak. Well, if we were speaking.

Driver: Adams Speedline Fast 11, 9°
    Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
    Irons: Ping i200 3 iron, Ping iE1 4-PW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7, 48º; Titleist SM5, 54º & 58º
    Putter: Cleveland Classics Huntington Beach #1, 35"