Golf industry careers

Crushit350

Pga.com

Years ago, me and a friend took a PGA Playablity Test at Brigantine Golf Links near Atlantic City, NJ. It was just on a whim but, as luck would have it, I shot a combo 82/70 for 36 holes in one day to finish 3 shots under the qualifying score and at the tip of the list of qualifiers of whom there were only 4 out of 109 players! I discussed "turning PGA Club Pro" with my wife and she agreed, knowing how much I love the game. Imagine making a living doing something you absolutely love! Boy did that bubble burst with a blast. It did not take very long to learn that I would now be playing a LOT LESS golf than before I got into the industry. Not only that; it also became very obvious that from a PGA CLUB Pro standpoint, the only way to make enough money to make ends meet was to teach the game. As most of you know, an hour lesson with a PGA Pro can cost anywhere from $60 to "thousands" per hour. Seemed like most of the Class A Pros I knew and worked with were getting around $75/hr. back then in the early 90s. As an Assistant at level 2 "in the program" I was charging $60/hr.

Nothing personal against you, but this is why golf instruction sucks. You weren't a teacher, you were a decent player who happened to shoot a couple of round good enough to get by, then all of a sudden you're teaching people!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pga.com

Years ago, me and a friend took a PGA Playablity Test at Brigantine Golf Links near Atlantic City, NJ. It was just on a whim but, as luck would have it, I shot a combo 82/70 for 36 holes in one day to finish 3 shots under the qualifying score and at the tip of the list of qualifiers of whom there were only 4 out of 109 players! I discussed "turning PGA Club Pro" with my wife and she agreed, knowing how much I love the game. Imagine making a living doing something you absolutely love! Boy did that bubble burst with a blast. It did not take very long to learn that I would now be playing a LOT LESS golf than before I got into the industry. Not only that; it also became very obvious that from a PGA CLUB Pro standpoint, the only way to make enough money to make ends meet was to teach the game. As most of you know, an hour lesson with a PGA Pro can cost anywhere from $60 to "thousands" per hour. Seemed like most of the Class A Pros I knew and worked with were getting around $75/hr. back then in the early 90s. As an Assistant at level 2 "in the program" I was charging $60/hr. In short order, I learned that I did not have the patience to teach people who could not or would not make the proper and necessary corrections to their swings in order to hit the ball with any consistency which I would say represent, easily, at least 80% of all who try to play the game. There is only a miniscule percentage willing to sacrifice the time and grueling effort it takes to change your swing and work hard to improve. Even a small change in your grip can be agonizing as we all know. Long story shorter, unless you are willing to play a lot less, don't mind becoming a golf ball and golf clothing inventory clerk, have no problem answering incredibly stupid questions like, "I read that the slope rating on your scorecard is 125. Does that mean that the hills on your course are very steep?", or, "What hole will I be on when it starts to rain?", you might just be better off sticking with your regular day job and enjoy playing as often as you are able in your spare time. We won't even discuss the Summer hours and the Winter layoffs....

Preach it my brother. My last day was when I finished my Level II workbooks, boxed them up to ship off and tossed them in the dumpster instead. Told my HP that if he thought I was going to do this for the rest of my life he was insane. Mad respect for those who are life pga members, it is truly dedication to deal with golfers and members every day.

I concur, sadly. These experiences mirror my own. Golf Pro is one of the worst jobs in America, particularly at the Assistant Pro level. Be prepared for 100 hour weeks in season and playing so little golf that any dream you have of actually playing professional golf is shot down in short order. If you're really lucky you can find a job at a County Club that will house you on site (of course charging you for the hole in the wall cubby that you're given to live in). Then you'll be available 24 hours a day 7 days a week for the season. You'll become so adept at regripping clubs that you will catch up on sleep while doing so. You'll field ridiculous complaints and get your butt chewed daily with a smile on your face because any number of the influential members could have you fired in short order.

I respect the heck out of those that choose and stick with this path as a career. It wasn't for me but I learned a lot.

turfnet.com

That is a site more specifically focused on golf agronomy jobs, supers, asst. supers, irrigation/spray techs, etc.

Being a superintendent is great, I love my job. Yes the hours can be long such as during aerification week, pipes breaking, or doing a grow in. But the job is what you make it. I got into the industry because I love the game of golf, and want to share my love of the game by providing members with an excellent course. Do I play more than other superintendents I know? Yeah probably, but as a former collegiate golfer I know what I tournament style course is supposed to look like and play like, and for me I take the knowledge of playing and apply it to my agronomic practices and plans moving forward if that makes sense. If this sounds interesting to you I am sure that your local super would love some volunteer help for a couple days just to try it out and see if its for you.

Another benefit to working outside is the grass never complains haha.

turfnet.com

That is a site more specifically focused on golf agronomy jobs, supers, asst. supers, irrigation/spray techs, etc.

Being a superintendent is great, I love my job. Yes the hours can be long such as during aerification week, pipes breaking, or doing a grow in. But the job is what you make it. I got into the industry because I love the game of golf, and want to share my love of the game by providing members with an excellent course. Do I play more than other superintendents I know? Yeah probably, but as a former collegiate golfer I know what I tournament style course is supposed to look like and play like, and for me I take the knowledge of playing and apply it to my agronomic practices and plans moving forward if that makes sense. If this sounds interesting to you I am sure that your local super would love some volunteer help for a couple days just to try it out and see if its for you.

Another benefit to working outside is the grass never complains haha.

I love your approach to your job. Being a super can be the hardest job in golf. Sometimes you're at the whim of the weather and players want to blame you for anything that goes wrong out on the golf course. It's a 24/7 job.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I work in a bag room at two very prestigious Clubs (think top 100)...the pros say the same thing. Low pay, no golf or if you want to work at 7am get off at 3 then play before opening again the next morning, no social life. They tell me not to do it if I want to play golf.

Those guys are probably just complaining then. National average for an assistant club pro is just under $45,000 a year, and lots of guys make less than that. The best jobs at the best clubs (top 100 clubs) are well compensated, I think the average in the met section for assistants is over $60,000.

Lots of people in the industry have it rough, but there are still choice jobs out there. Those guys who you work with have the dream jobs.

Love my job and would never do anything else. It can be an awesome industry if you want it to be and are willing to work for it

People can tell when you love your job, and that attitude is contagious. Especially in an industry where fun and improvement are really what customers/students hope for. Good for you iteach!

My job is amazing and I love it. I'll be happy to go into more detail, if the OP would like.

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Was in the business out of college... two seminal moments happened that still stick in my head. First.. I worked as an AP at a very exclusive club where average rounds were 12-15 4 somes per day. I lived in clubhouse as did the general manager.. well he was a drunk and one night I'm showering in men's locker as my room was just a room... I over hear the gm blasting the pro shop saying "those guys are a-holes... they think they are players... blah blah" so I walk down and say..... Your voice travels here.. thanks for the kind words...later that night around midnight I come back and he broke a key off in the door lock... took out the bulb to entrance which was about 30 steps high. Slept in my car. Tough guy to deal with... total drunkard.

Second... members sponsored me two years in a row to play... playing in a space coast tour event I'm 3 under after 13... playing partner is 5 under.... I ask him on about 15 tee... so where are you the head pro at? He replies... son I'm an insurance agent... I play about 200 rounds a year.. my secretary pretty much runs the business.

Packed it in... got an MBA.... now I play 100 rounds a year at the country club. Lol

One thing to take away, you don't have to be golfing all the time to love working in the golf industry. Running tournaments can be very fun. Giving golf lessons can be very rewarding. Having a beautiful and functional pro-shop is something to be proud of. Maintaining a golf course well is a true accomplishment. Thinking you're going to golf all the time in the golf industry is like thinking you're going to drink wine all day if in the wine industry, no, you're going to work...

I work in a bag room at two very prestigious Clubs (think top 100)...the pros say the same thing. Low pay, no golf or if you want to work at 7am get off at 3 then play before opening again the next morning, no social life. They tell me not to do it if I want to play golf.

Those guys are probably just complaining then. National average for an assistant club pro is just under $45,000 a year, and lots of guys make less than that. The best jobs at the best clubs (top 100 clubs) are well compensated, I think the average in the met section for assistants is over $60,000.

Lots of people in the industry have it rough, but there are still choice jobs out there. Those guys who you work with have the dream jobs.

But Indiana is not the Met section and working at very prestigious clubs in no way equals great pay. They view at a resume builder and there's a line at the door wanting to work there.Average is also just that and the really good paying jobs throw that number off. Also people don't leave those good payng jobs very often and their numbers are getting smaller all of the time.

There's almost always time to get in a little play but as other said after the long days some people eventually just want to go home. It helps if you can get to another course to play so you aren't available to be bothered by work related issues.

My last reply was very negative of the industry as a whole, and I appologize for that. I was relaying my experience in it as a totally unqualified and untrained AP at a Country Club. My experiences on that job still leaves a sour taste in my mouth, but please realize that this was so long ago that I think the caste system was still in place. It was also my only experience in the industry and when I proverbially signed on the dotted line, I was doing so to play golf all day every day and to become a pro golfer (what can I say, the HP-my drinking buddy-was one helluva a salesman).

At any rate by the time I took into account the hours that I worked (basically sunup to sundown Tuesday through Sunday) I probably made less than minimum wage, and that's before factoring in OT pay which I didn't get since I was salaried. This particular club no doubt holds the record for one and done AP's as I never heard of the same one spending two seasons there.

I was a decent golfer back then, I played in an outing at this course as a guest and the HP, a couple years older than me at the time, was in my group. We hit it off great and I played lights out that day. Having drinks afterwards the seed was planted for me to become his AP for the next season (his current AP's had no doubt told him that they wouldn't be back next year or EVER by that point in the season, ha). He had me play in what I presume to be a PAT, it's been so long ago that I don't remember for sure I just recall having to shoot a certain score to pass. I did. Welcome to being an AP.

To this point I'd never even taken a lesson and I show up bright eyed and bushy tailed in the spring and I'm now expected to give lessons. What? All I knew was that you're supposed to hit the ball into the hole in as few of strokes as possible. I guess I could add that I knew what swing plane and clubhead orientation produced a fade and a draw but that was it. I gave a whole bunch of lessons where I think the biggest takeaway those poor souls could take was "just make solid contact consistently, then We'll work on shot shape". I feel pretty bad now knowing that I probably hurt more people than I helped but I was young and I wasn't dishonest in any way landing this "dream job". The HP should never have put me and the clubs members in this position. He knew my pedigree and due to the grueling nature of the job he was just trying to find cannon fodder to fill it. That'd be me.

The spring started out ok, but as daylight hours progressed, so do mine. I kid you not when I say that I worked an hour before sunup to an hour after sundown from Tuesday-Sunday. By the first of June I was praying for the solstice. The perks of the job were that I could play the course on Mondays (no way, I slept all day) and I occasionally got to play a round with a member (only if they asked and the HP wasn't available, probably 4 times all season) and I might send 20 range balls downrange when I had pro shop coverage. I also received 25% of all fees for lessons, and 25% of the cost of any grips or shafts that I applied/installed. Between those I probably averaged an extra hundred bucks a week to go on to my princely salary of 500 a week. 600 a week was a decent wage back then, I'm not complaining about that. It wasn't a decent wage for 100 hour work weeks. The kids pulling down carts and picking range balls were making 8.00 or more an hour. Their boss was making six. I don't know for sure what the HP made but it was at least 3x what I made. He showed up whenever he felt like showing up and "played" a bunch of outside events. If he logged 40 hours even once that summer I certainly didn't notice. Again, don't take this the wrong way. He was a great salesman and sold me on a "golf pro" job. I in turn made his life gravy for that season. I don't degrudge him at all, I'm just pointing out the difference in the two positions at that time and at that club. I'm sure he dealt with a bunch of stressful stuff behind the scenes that I never had to see.

When I ended that season I moved out of my corner closet apartment above the clubhouse and I made a life decision. The gist of it is that I had no desire to ever do that again. That was my one season in the industry. I'm sure it's not typical as no one would ever willingly do that, hence me being the 15th consecutive AP in 15 seasons at that Club. I fell victim to a bait and switch and since I'd given a man my word that I'd do the job I honored it. I don't feel bad for me at all. I do feel bad for those that paid to get my advice and guidance in golf related manners. Those people deserve a refund. Passing a PAT means that you were a decent golfer on that day. Other than that it doesn't mean anything. I knew nothing about teaching golf. I still don't. My advice is limited to my children and even then I find myself telling them to "just make solid contact, then we'll work on the rest". Ha.

Sorry so long, I come here to read stuff. I assume some others do as well and I type based on that. I'm currently for the first time in my life within 75 miles of the birthplace of golf. There is no chance that I'll be playing, I'm hoping that something will change before I head back over the Atlantic in 4 days but Im not here for golf and have a tight schedule. If it doesn't happen now, I'll be back as soon as I can. I feel almost a primal urge to get on The Old Course. Maybe that inspired me. Or maybe I'm bored and thinking its only 530 where I'm from and not ready for bed yet.

Have a pleasant evening ladies and gentleman.

But Indiana is not the Met section and working at very prestigious clubs in no way equals great pay. They view at a resume builder and there's a line at the door wanting to work there.Average is also just that and the really good paying jobs throw that number off. Also people don't leave those good payng jobs very often and their numbers are getting smaller all of the time.

There's almost always time to get in a little play but as other said after the long days some people eventually just want to go home. It helps if you can get to another course to play so you aren't available to be bothered by work related issues.

That's my point, average is just that, and it gets thrown by those at the high end who make more, namely those with the best jobs at the best clubs, like the person I was responding to was talking about.

The best paying assistant pro jobs in Indiana (based on salary), on average, are more likely than not going to be at the most exclusive, expensive, private clubs. They're in the small number of facilities with the budget for it.

Like most people have said, there is not a lot of money to be made working around the golf course environment unless you are a very popular PGA teaching pro. The top teaching pros and popular youtube teaching pros are doing pretty well. Working for a big equipment company, the money is better than golf courses and retail golf to make a living but those jobs are not very numerous. In general, working in the golf industry does not have a lot of potential for growth.

I have worked at two golf industry jobs. One was a golf course range attendant when I was in high school. The other was working at a golf course architecture firm. There was money in golf course architecture, but a very small niche industry so jobs are not numerous. Also, you are indoors 100% of the time working with documents and plans, so you don't play golf.

FWIW, the person I know who plays the most golf, does it on the company dine and gets to play pretty much where ever he wants....

Wine Rep

Yup. My best friend owns his own insurance agency. He plays probably 100+ rounds a year and loves his job and golf. Win.

You gotta figure this as well. 45k a year isn't bad (ask a teacher in NC if they'd take that salary...lol). But if you're working 80-100 hrs a week, suddenly that 45k is peanuts when calculated out hourly.

I like my career. I went into IT. I make 6 figures. I work a max of 40hrs a week. From home. I play golf whenever I want.

It. Is. Freaking. Awesome.

Golf industry careers and my personal perspective.

TLDR: If you love it, and I mean truly love it, it will be worth it. If you don’t, then it won't.

I got into the golf business at the age of 35 in 2013. I was warned by many a well-meaning person about the change. Golf was dying, they said. You don’t know what you want to do and to be successful, you have to be specialized, they said. You’ll work a ton and never play golf, they said.

Okay then, headfirst in I shall go.

You see, I love golf. And I don’t mean I enjoy reading about it a bit, spend an hour or so on GolfWRX every day, and then play golf once or twice on the weekends. No, golf is part of the fiber of my being. It has been a consistently wonderful part of my life for the past 24 years. It connects my late Grandfather, my father, me, and hopefully eventually my son. I have been reading golf magazines and golf books and watching golf videos (instructional or otherwise) since I was 15. My thirst for golf learning is insatiable. I wake up thinking about golf, I spend my entire day thinking about golf, I spend the evenings chipping and putting up and down the hallway and reading about golf, and when it’s time to fall asleep, I don’t count sheep, I think about wedge setup and play golf holes in my mind. Other than friends and family, I honestly and genuinely don’t reeeeaaallly care about anything other than golf. Sure, I'll talk wine, sports, literature, or cinema with you, but I'd rather be talking about golf. So, how did I end up where I am? Well, here’s a bit of that story……

(What follows is the "abridged", lol, version of my story)

Well, after I was kicked out of college, I came home to work in the restaurant industry. I literally have worked every single position in the industry (except “Chef,” as I have no formal training). I even owned my own restaurant for a while (hilariously colossal failure!). Armed with a little wine knowledge, I ended up “Forrest Gumping” my way into a job at the best restaurant in town. 13 months later, I was the Asst. Manager and Director of Wine. At 25 years old, I had the best job at the best restaurant in my area in my field just two years after having lost my restaurant, my relationship, my place to live, and seemingly everything else. Now what? This can’t be it, right? So, I poked and prodded, looked around, tried a few other jobs, all keeping with the restaurant and wine theme. Eventually, at 34 years old, I was right back at that same restaurant as the Asst. Manager and Sommelier (I had passed my certification test in the interim as “commanded” by my F&B Director). Well, that job wasn’t what I wanted the first time around and it sure wasn’t this time either. And mind you, I loved that job in a way. I met my wife at that job. I made my first real paycheck at that job. I bought my house while at that job. I became a father while at that job. It will always be what I consider a “home” of sorts. But I wasn’t meant to be there.

I was meant to be at a golf course.

So, while I was at that job the second time around, I worked at the local Edwin Watts for a shift or two a week during one off season. And there I met a local Asst. Pro. We became conversational and I told him a bit about my plan. A few months later I would walk into his Head Pro’s office and tell him what I wanted to do. I mean I literally walked in and told him that I wanted to be a Head Pro and that I was going to start at his course and try to get hired at any position possible. If I didn’t get a job there, I was going to go down the road to every single course until I got hired. Then, once I was on board, I would make sure that I was a candidate for every Asst. Pro position that came open in the area. I told him that I would get into the PGA PGM program as soon as I became an Asst. and that I would finish the program in the shortest amount of time possible (3 years, for me). And then, I would become a Head Pro. You see, I am gifted and burdened by my own ignorance and an overpowering, yet often fleeting, belief in my own ability. I truly am a golfer through and through.

So, I was hired (as a shop employee and marshall) on a Wednesday as I drove up to Augusta to watch the opening round of the Masters. 3 months later, the Head Pro left, the Asst. Pro was promoted and I became the new Asst. Pro. Three years later (to the month), I finished my the PGM. I wasn’t a 22 year old with time to screw around, drink beer, and wander. I had already done that. I had a wife, kids, and a mortgage. I had put the family in a precarious position by taking a job that paid about half of what I was making. So I busted my butt. I worked nights at a local restaurant bar tending to make ends meet. It was stressful on me, stressful on my family, and it was completely worth it.

A random picture on the wrong website led to a chance phone call which ended up getting my toe in the door for an interview as the Asst. Pro at another course. This course had a history of chewing up Head Pros and spitting them out, so naturally, I wanted the job. I bet on myself. I moved laterally. And after 4 months at that job, sure enough, the Head Pro left. A couple of months as the interim and then, on the day after Valentine’s day, I was offered the Head Pro position. And did I mention that this course is one of the best in my area, with the largest membership, AND has the biggest Food & Beverage program of all the area courses? I found the right fit and I went for it. I made no bones about what my goal was from day one. And it had come to fruition.

Zero to Head Pro in 3 years and 10 months and I love it. I play with Members on occasion, 9 holes here or there, and I'll play some section events as soon as my game comes around. I still get to play with my dad once a month or so. I help with the F&B side of the business. I give lessons. I run the shop and do the merchandise. There are no 100 hour weeks, heck, I don’t even know what that’s all about. But there are surely 65 hour weeks (maybe 5 per year). Ladies Member Guest, Men’s Member Guest, etc. But 50 hours is the norm. My office has 13 large windows and I can see holes #1, 8, 9, 10, & 18 as well as the putting green and the practice facility. For a golfer, there is no better office view within 100 miles. Members come ask me about golf, the swing, the equipment, and how to play the game. The Super and I talk about stimp speeds, mowing heights, different weeds, and chemical applications. I am engulfed and immersed in golf, and that’s exactly where I want to be, and have wanted to be since I took up the game seriously at 15 years old.

I want to do an amazing job as a Head Pro. I want to become the General Manager of the Club at some point. I want to start taking Members on wine/food and golf trips to amazing courses and amazing restaurants. I want to become an ambassador for my area (the Panhandle of Florida, aka The Emerald Coast) to become the golf destination that it should be.

If you like golf, get a job in insurance and you’ll get to play a ton of golf. You’ll get to play lots of charity scrambles and Calcutta’s, Member Guests and $20 Saturday morning games.

But, if you live golf and you love golf, if it is part of your soul and part of the fiber of your very being, then I can’t imagine a better possible career than to be completely and totally involved in golf every single day of my life.

Thank you for reading.

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

God bless the men like Dan above that are dedicated to the profession like he is. I was dedicated to the game and it's history. However I was not dedicated to the profession like what is described above. Good for you Dan, and I mean that with the most sincerity possible. Also thank you for making the game great for your members and all players at your club. You should be very proud.

God bless the men like Dan above that are dedicated to the profession like he is. I was dedicated to the game and it's history. However I was not dedicated to the profession like what is described above. Good for you Dan, and I mean that with the most sincerity possible. Also thank you for making the game great for your members and all players at your club. You should be very proud.

Thank you so much for your kind words, they mean a great deal to me.

What aspects of the history of the game are your main interests? I would love the opportunity to learn more about our great game's history, if you were so inclined to point me in some fun directions!

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

I'd say the Hogan/Snead/Nelson era forward I'm fairly well read and interested in the many things Im not familiar with. Equipment from the 50's - mid 80's also interests me a great deal. Some really beautiful woods and putters from that time and some great irons as well. The best wedges are from our current period I believe. As a high schooler I devoured back issues of golf magazine, golf illustrated and golf digest from as far back as I could. The winters were long and cold in Cincinnati.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

As a classroom teacher of 23 years I have worked as a cart boy, ranger, "go for" for the HP and AP, as well as asst mgr at a golf shop. In that time, I found that I enjoyed the retail side of the business the most. Interacting with customers and just talking golf. Of course that became a drag with long hours but it was fun. I have often thought about maybe trying my hand in studying to be a pro but then I realized that even when I was a ranger and cart boy, I didnt really want to play after my shift was done. I was either there super early, stayed super late, or both. That being said, I just wanted to get away. Perhaps if it was 2-3 days a week in the cart barn that could be different but... I have heard the horror stories about the HP not playing, etc etc. As noted by several people, you have to have a deep rooted love for the game. I guess the jobs are what you make of it.

When I was a kid, about 18 or so, working as a cart attendant at a resort near my home, we noticed our head pro would hop in his truck and disappear for so many hours at a time, we figured he had a whole other job.

Callaway XR16 SubZero Aldila Rogue I/O 70X
Callaway Apex Utility Wood 19* Fujikura Ventus TR Red 60
Callaway UT 18* KBS C-Taper X
Titleist 818 H2 21*
Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW KBS DG X100
Vokey SM7 52* F
Vokey SM7 58* D
Sizemore XB-1