Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

Congrats @g-off. For my upcoming trip back to Sacramento I'm going to bag D, 4w, 4i, 6i, 8i, PW, 54* & 60* + putter. 9 clubs. My reasoning for this setup is due to the long par 3s. My lofts after the driver are 17*, 23*, 28*, 36*, 46*, 54*, 60*.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° & 25* HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° | SM9 56° 60° S300

Odyssey 7 Bird 

> @g-off said:

>

> Here's a shot of the tournament set up, 9 clubs no more needed! If anyones interested in a half set of edel sls01's shoot me a pm

How you finding the divine 9? I recently added a 7 wood to my arsenal and like it, but I also like my 5 hybrid so not sure what to do.

What sort of range do you use it from? My biggest concern, and its something I notice with my 7, is the effect of the wind on the shot. sometime I wont notice how strong the wind is at ground level but will see the ball get taken when I am hitting long high shots. I imagine it would be more so with the 9

@Hertsjoatmon my nine runs about 165-180 for me, not a long hitter by any means, the thing is absolutely money out of the thick rough for me, as far as wind I don't really have a big problem with either wood, obviously a strong headwind will know it down but they seem to be high and penetrating for me. My driver ss is 92-95 so no huge bombs coming from me.

905t

steelhead xr heavenwood, 9 wood

eye2 becu

hoganardi baby ben currently

always hoing the next best thing

@g-off cheers. I've been working on my swing speed over winter so am faster that I was last year but I've not got round to testing to see the actual numbers and have barely been on course this year due to both my employed work and my personal business taking up almost all my spare time. Range sessions and par 3s courses are about all I can manage at the moment. The 7 wood is lovely though

Tried this out the other day from the championship tees (Gold) at my local course, Ancil Hoffman. I took D, 3, 4, 6, 8, PW, 54, 58, P. I shot +3 on the front, which is one better than what I've been shooting lately. Ancil is a tough track with trees everywhere and good drives are the name of the game there. None of my bogeys were because I didn't have the right club. 1st was hitting my drive right up against a tree and having to punch out, wasn't able to get up and down, 2nd was a bad downhill putt that got away from me, and the third was from a stock 6iron that I hit really poorly and failed to get up and down. The 6i was my only stock swing, and also my worst, should have hit a knockdown 4i!

Im likely to keep this up for 9 after work during the week. I had a ton of fun trying to make shots work, and was surprised how close I hit it on some holes when hitting a club 15y less than normal. I am playing with a buddy on Saturday and have debated telling him that I left half my clubs in my other car after the range or something.

Course rating: 3601 Front / 3408 Back - 73.3 / 131

My setup is:

G400 9* - Ping tour 80X cut to 43.5"

JPX 900 Tour PX LZ 6.5 - 3,4,6,8,PW

Mizuno S5 54,58

Scotty Cameron Newport

Mizuno Scratch Sac Bag - I love this bag and it was like $30 used on eBay. It has plenty of pocket space and I regularly carry with all 14 clubs. It is a little tight, but I've made it work and like it a little more than my Stitch SL1. My Stitch is great, but it only has 2 small pockets which makes it tough, I use it more with a push cart.

I will likely swap the 3i for a G400 5W or 2H, and my 4i for a 4H. I hit my 4i well, but the 4H is almost automatic. It is a Ping G 4h with a stock X, and it couldn't be easier to hit, just can't hit the low shot that I sometimes need with the 4i, so I'll test it out more.

I read through a lot of these posts and loved the idea of the minimalist setup. Cheers to making golf way more interesting and a lot more fun for once!

• Like 1

> @Ivyguy said:

> Love it, question:

> Why the 3 iron? Are u considering a driving iron later?

Why do i have it or why am i considering swapping it out? i just got the 3 iron as part of the set, and have been gaming it to get better. It is fairly easy to hit, just need to work a little more with it since I am normally don't play one.

I haven't really found a driving iron that I like yet. I've hit a few and they were ok, but i haven't had one stand out yet.

> @mizzyplayer said:

> > @Ivyguy said:

> > Love it, question:

> > Why the 3 iron? Are u considering a driving iron later?

>

> Why do i have it or why am i considering swapping it out? i just got the 3 iron as part of the set, and have been gaming it to get better. It is fairly easy to hit, just need to work a little more with it since I am normally don't play one.

>

> I haven't really found a driving iron that I like yet. I've hit a few and they were ok, but i haven't had one stand out yet.

>

I was just wondering if it was holding the spot for future DI. Typically in the smaller bags thered more dispersion between the lofts.

> @Ivyguy said:

> > @mizzyplayer said:

> > > @Ivyguy said:

> > > Love it, question:

> > > Why the 3 iron? Are u considering a driving iron later?

> >

> > Why do i have it or why am i considering swapping it out? i just got the 3 iron as part of the set, and have been gaming it to get better. It is fairly easy to hit, just need to work a little more with it since I am normally don't play one.

> >

> > I haven't really found a driving iron that I like yet. I've hit a few and they were ok, but i haven't had one stand out yet.

> >

>

> I was just wondering if it was holding the spot for future DI. Typically in the smaller bags thered more dispersion between the lofts.

Im still searching for a DI. That spot will likely go to my 5W or a 2H if i can find one I like. I like my 5W, but don't hit it much at any of the courses I play, so i might just drop to 8 clubs, or add a 2H in place of the 3.

If it weren't raining right today, I would get 9 in after work.

Still trying to work my gapping out for my 9-club set-up ...

Driver: 9.5 - 215-250

Hybrid: 19 - 180-205

5 iron: 26 - 160-180

7 iron: 32 - 140-160

9 iron: 41 - 120-140

PW: 45 - 110-130

GW: 52 - 75-105

LW: 60 - <75

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Been full time minimalist since the end of last season, but I'm this way so far this year for another reason... It's just quicker to get out on the course to play. About 8 weeks ago my dad had major heart surgery and he's still in after a few set backs. It's been hard especially for mum. Anyway, yesterday pm after a visit to the hospital I just played a quick 9 to clear my mind..... It's only after that I thought, I'm 2 under with 8 sticks. It's just so simple, hit a few knock down 8 irons to fit a 120 yard shot and a little 4 iron for a 165 into a little wind shot. Boy its fun to play!

My set up is driver, 5 wood, 4,6,8,pw ping eye 2, ping karsten iii sw and I've recently added my dad's cracking wilson tpa putter

• Like 2

> @scruffynick said:

> Been full time minimalist since the end of last season, but I'm this way so far this year for another reason... It's just quicker to get out on the course to play. About 8 weeks ago my dad had major heart surgery and he's still in after a few set backs. It's been hard especially for mum. Anyway, yesterday pm after a visit to the hospital I just played a quick 9 to clear my mind..... It's only after that I thought, I'm 2 under with 8 sticks. It's just so simple, hit a few knock down 8 irons to fit a 120 yard shot and a little 4 iron for a 165 into a little wind shot. Boy its fun to play!

> My set up is driver, 5 wood, 4,6,8,pw ping eye 2, ping karsten iii sw and I've recently added my dad's cracking wilson tpa putter

My first experience of minimalist golf was really just a half set of 8 hire clubs but it was pretty much exactly what your setup is. Driver, 5 wood, 4, 6, 8, PW, SW and putter.

It sewed the seeds for minimalist golf for me but funnily enough I prefer the odd numbers so I play Driver, 3 Hybrid, 5, 7, 9, GW, SW and Putter.

P.S. sorry about your Dad. Here's wishing him a full and speedy recovery . ?

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

> @kiwihacker said:

> > @scruffynick said:

> > Been full time minimalist since the end of last season, but I'm this way so far this year for another reason... It's just quicker to get out on the course to play. About 8 weeks ago my dad had major heart surgery and he's still in after a few set backs. It's been hard especially for mum. Anyway, yesterday pm after a visit to the hospital I just played a quick 9 to clear my mind..... It's only after that I thought, I'm 2 under with 8 sticks. It's just so simple, hit a few knock down 8 irons to fit a 120 yard shot and a little 4 iron for a 165 into a little wind shot. Boy its fun to play!

> > My set up is driver, 5 wood, 4,6,8,pw ping eye 2, ping karsten iii sw and I've recently added my dad's cracking wilson tpa putter

>

> My first experience of minimalist golf was really just a half set of 8 hire clubs but it was pretty much exactly what your setup is. Driver, 5 wood, 4, 6, 8, PW, SW and putter.

>

> It sewed the seeds for minimalist golf for me but funnily enough I prefer the odd numbers so I play Driver, 3 Hybrid, 5, 7, 9, GW, SW and Putter.

>

> P.S. sorry about your Dad. Here's wishing him a full and speedy recovery . ?

Ta, just having a brew before seeing him again.... Critical heart care isn't the most pleasant of places

I've been reading on minimalist golf and decided to try with 10 clubs yesterday. Actually shot the best round this year. I've been in may 3 or 4 club tournaments but never like this. Just like everyone has stated its makes the game fun and requires you to play vs just hitting the ball. Trying to lay off a club or shape a club was great. I went with D, 3w, 3H, 4,6,8,PW, 52, 58 and putter all in my Jones players series. If anything since I went out early, by the time we finished my bag was wet from the dew. The pouch bag that holds my wallet, phone etc were a little wet. I will try again this weekend

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* / Ventus Blue
Adams Pro Mini 16* / Aldila Tour Red
Bridgestone J15CB 4-PW / KBS $ Taper 120 Black 
Bridgestone J40 52 / KBS $ Taper 120 Black 58 / DG Spinner
Bettinardi BB1
Sun Mountain Tour Series  / MGI Navigator

> @rrordona said:

> I've been reading on minimalist golf and decided to try with 10 clubs yesterday. Actually shot the best round this year. I've been in may 3 or 4 club tournaments but never like this. Just like everyone has stated its makes the game fun and requires you to play vs just hitting the ball. Trying to lay off a club or shape a club was great. I went with D, 3w, 3H, 4,6,8,PW, 52, 58 and putter all in my Jones players series. If anything since I went out early, by the time we finished my bag was wet from the dew. The pouch bag that holds my wallet, phone etc were a little wet. I will try again this weekend

I think that's where a lot of people have trouble, not being creative. During my first minimalist round, one of my bogeys was from a stock 6i because i thought 'I just need to hit this normal' and then made the worst swing of the round. I think the key to going between 8 and 14 clubs is to have that same mentality. My golf game got much better when I quit trying to hit straight boring shots, playing minimalist forces you to be creative. I am 100% in on the minimalist rounds for practice, and will keep that mentality with 14 clubs and tournaments. I may play less than 14 in tournaments, but need more time.

• Like 2

> @scruffynick said:

> Had a little fiddle today.... Out went the 4 iron and in come my 24 hybrid, just easier to hit and vary shots with. Its the only thing I alter... 9 wood, 4 iron or 24 hybrid. It just depends how I feel on that day

Right, had a cracking round in the wind today 74 for a 69, great company to keep my mind off things.... But my god that 4 hybrid has been ditched! Hit 2 horror shots with it, so bad I really got away with them. I just can't hit hybrids... At all, just hit them fat and left. So sorry Mr 4 iron I can hit you really well and make you into a 5 iron no problem... So after my wee break to Crete the 4 iron is permanently in!!! But I really enjoyed my round today

In one of my Sunday bags I keep a 8 piece set for when I can swing by a range or hit up an Executive course (time permitting). Makes you think about yardages a bit more and proper tee's to play (usually look at par 3 distances to guage that) depending on you I feel I'm swinging.

TEE E8 Beta 13*

Adams VST LSP 20*

Titleist 660's 5/7/9

Vokey SM4 50/8 & 58/8

Odyssey Tank Cruiser

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

• 2 weeks later...

I took my full bag out yesterday and the clubs that got me into trouble are the ones I've been benching in my minimal setup cause I KNOW they're going to cause me trouble. But when they're present... it's like they're calling to you... GO FOR THE GREEN... HIT THE FLOP OVER THE BUNKER TO THE TIGHT PIN.

Argh.... The temptation is real!

Back to my old faithful set-up tomorrow.... :-)

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

> @9woodfan said:

> I took my full bag out yesterday and the clubs that got me into trouble are the ones I've been benching in my minimal setup cause I KNOW they're going to cause me trouble. But when they're present... it's like they're calling to you... GO FOR THE GREEN... HIT THE FLOP OVER THE BUNKER TO THE TIGHT PIN.

>

> Argh.... The temptation is real!

>

> Back to my old faithful set-up tomorrow.... :-)

Had a similar experience, especially on long shots and around the green options. What I’m going to try next time is keeping the full bag, but playing with the 1/2 mindset-if it calls for my usual 7, I’ll try a smooth 6 instead. We’ll see how it works out.

Just finished my 10 club mini bag, here is what I have:

TM M3 driver Speeder X

Adams Pro hybrids 16 & 23 Black Tie X

Ben Hogan PTX 29, 35, 41, 47 irons KBS Tour V110 S

Ben Hogan Equalizer 52 & 58 wedges KBS Tour V110 S

Bettinardi Signature #9 putter

Baby #3 was born yesterday so not sure when I’m going to get a full round in with them but excited! Now just deciding between a Moonlite or 2.5 to carry them in

TM SIM 10.5 - LA Golf A Series 60

TM SIM Ti 15 - LA Golf A Series 70

Cally OG Apex UW 19 - Smoke Black 80

Cobra One 4 Utility + Forged 6-GW - TT 120 S400

Edison 52, 56 & 60 - TT 120 X100

Odyssey Versa One

> @irishmike27 said:

> > @9woodfan said:

> > I took my full bag out yesterday and the clubs that got me into trouble are the ones I've been benching in my minimal setup cause I KNOW they're going to cause me trouble. But when they're present... it's like they're calling to you... GO FOR THE GREEN... HIT THE FLOP OVER THE BUNKER TO THE TIGHT PIN.

> >

> > Argh.... The temptation is real!

> >

> > Back to my old faithful set-up tomorrow.... :-)

>

> Had a similar experience, especially on long shots and around the green options. What I’m going to try next time is keeping the full bag, but playing with the 1/2 mindset-if it calls for my usual 7, I’ll try a smooth 6 instead. We’ll see how it works out.

>

It was the fairway wood and extra wedges that did me in.... hero shots in the making!

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

I have to make a confession. I have the last 4 years played with 6-9 clubs in my bag. Three weeks ago I played like an **s and I blamed my low GIR on the hot faces in my irons. When I came home I started to look for new clubs for comfort. It ended with a purchase of a set AP2 in very good condition. Last 7 rounds I put 6-pw in my bag and now I’m back to my old habit of choosing the ”right” club for a certain distance. Of course I now play even worse and soon my shiny forged irons will probably find a new home. Less is more...?

> @9woodfan said:

> I took my full bag out yesterday and the clubs that got me into trouble are the ones I've been benching in my minimal setup cause I KNOW they're going to cause me trouble. But when they're present... it's like they're calling to you... GO FOR THE GREEN... HIT THE FLOP OVER THE BUNKER TO THE TIGHT PIN.

>

> Argh.... The temptation is real!

>

> Back to my old faithful set-up tomorrow.... :-)

AND... I did it again!

I went back thru the round and all the strokes I lost were with clubs I shouldn't have used. If I'd just played my "minimalist" game I would have been laughing!