2019 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

145791027
27

Comments

  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #182

    "Good news golf fans, Augusta National stars Jennifer Kupcho and Maria Fassi will make their pro debuts competing alongside each other at next week’s U.S. Women’s Open.
    The 2018 U.S. Women’s Open champion Ariya Jutanugarn will compete alongside Sung Hyun Park and Lexi Thompson. The trio of major winners will tee off at 8:06 a.m. on Thursday and 1:51 p.m. on Friday."

    https://golfweek.com/2019/05/23/golf-maria-fassi-jennifer-kupcho-sierra-brooks-u-s-womens-open/

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Davidelliott100Davidelliott100 Members  99WRX Points: 100Posts: 99 Fairways
    Joined:  #183

    On -, @18majors said:

    "Good news golf fans, Augusta National stars Jennifer Kupcho and Maria Fassi will make their pro debuts competing alongside each other at next week’s U.S. Women’s Open.
    The 2018 U.S. Women’s Open champion Ariya Jutanugarn will compete alongside Sung Hyun Park and Lexi Thompson. The trio of major winners will tee off at 8:06 a.m. on Thursday and 1:51 p.m. on Friday."

    https://golfweek.com/2019/05/23/golf-maria-fassi-jennifer-kupcho-sierra-brooks-u-s-womens-open/

    Awesome pairing!!

    Posted:

    Taylormade M2 2017 9.5
    Taylormade M4 16.5
    Taylormade RBZ 3 iron bent to 17.5
    Taylormade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW
    Vokey SM5 Black 50, 54, 58
    Taylormade Spider S

  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #184

    "The 11th hole at the Country Club of Charleston is a replica of the 15th hole at North Berwick in Scotland. At 177 yards, the hole features a raised and reverse Redan green with a false front and two large bunkers. The tee box is situated on what used to be a Confederate battery. “I expect the 11th to be a household name by the end of the Women’s Open,” said Kyle Franz, the designer charged with leading the club’s latest restoration.
    When the best female golfers in the world come to Charleston this month, they will find a course with some of the best Raynor greens in the game and a club that is intent on honoring its name, representing the spirit of Low Country golf and historical preservation that makes Charleston unique. "

    https://golfweek.com/2019/05/23/golf-life-country-club-of-charleston-restored-ready-for-u-s-womens-open/

    Posted:
  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #185

    What a memory!

    Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23360WRX Points: 7,336Posts: 23,360 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #186

    Just noticed that Stacy doesn't have a Mizuno bag at Kingsmill. I wonder if she lost her sponsorship like So Yeon did.

    Posted:
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1915WRX Points: 1,091Posts: 1,915 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #187

    On -, @18majors said:

    What a memory!

    I forget exactly what holes but the lost tee shot (ob or hazard?), shot into the weeds on the side of the hill, and par 3 tee shot off the hazard wall/barrier were amazing. It ended up being a reasonably comfortable win but it looked like a disaster / meltdown was coming.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23360WRX Points: 7,336Posts: 23,360 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #188

    I got a chuckle out of the UL commercial with Azahara. I've never seen her hit a shot so quickly. I'm guessing the editor left a lot of footage on the cutting room floor.

    Posted:
  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited May 24, 2019 #189

    The USWO at Charleston next week is shaping up to be quite an event.

    Posted:
    Post edited by 18majors on
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1915WRX Points: 1,091Posts: 1,915 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #190

    On -, @Argonne69 said:

    Just noticed that Stacy doesn't have a Mizuno bag at Kingsmill. I wonder if she lost her sponsorship like So Yeon did.

    I guess the Bill Belichick philosophy of "better to sell a year too early than a year too late" is gaining traction.

    In reality, both of these players are on the tail end of their playing days (I thought Ryu had 2-3 more good years left but appears to be wrong). Rightly or wrongly, I'd bet that the people cutting checks either love Stacy or hate her. Don't know if that impacted her here (if let go) but overall the factor probably doesn't help her given her current status/ranking.

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members  1486WRX Points: 747Posts: 1,486 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #191

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    On -, @Argonne69 said:

    Just noticed that Stacy doesn't have a Mizuno bag at Kingsmill. I wonder if she lost her sponsorship like So Yeon did.

    I guess the Bill Belichick philosophy of "better to sell a year too early than a year too late" is gaining traction.

    In reality, both of these players are on the tail end of their playing days (I thought Ryu had 2-3 more good years left but appears to be wrong). Rightly or wrongly, I'd bet that the people cutting checks either love Stacy or hate her. Don't know if that impacted her here (if let go) but overall the factor probably doesn't help her given her current status/ranking.

    I agree Stacy may be tailing off, plus she does have a family now which likely consumes energy and time.
    So Yeon is only 28, I don't really see her fizzling out yet. Seem's like every time someone has an off season, people think they are done and over..
    Either way IMO they are both still dangerous on any given day out there.

    Posted:
  • agolf1agolf1 Members  1915WRX Points: 1,091Posts: 1,915 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #192

    On -, @ChronicSlicer said:

    So Yeon is only 28, I don't really see her fizzling out yet. Seem's like every time someone has an off season, people think they are done and over..
    Either way IMO they are both still dangerous on any given day out there.

    I hope I'm wrong on SYR. My big worry with her is that her focus/effort seems to have slipped a bit (better golf/life balance), and while being very very good I don't think she has the raw talent level to coast by in today's game.

    But you are right. Both of them still have enough game to win a tournament, possibly a big one. But I'd also say that two wins, including 1 major would be a huge outcome for either of them the rest of the way...

    Posted:
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    PING G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    PING Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    PING Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  PING Eye 2+ (58*) or PING Eye 2 XG (60*)
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #193

    On -, @KBong said:

    On -, @agolf1 said:

    I forget exactly what holes but the lost tee shot (ob or hazard?), shot into the weeds on the side of the hill, and par 3 tee shot off the hazard wall/barrier were amazing. It ended up being a reasonably comfortable win but it looked like a disaster / meltdown was coming.

    If I recall correctly.....the disaster started on the 10th hole...NYC snap hooked a driver into a hazard....while her caddie was arguing with a RO that point of entry was way further up the hole...NYC remained silent....I think if NYC argued with the RO that point of entry was up where her loop thought it should be....then I think the RO would have ruled in their/her favor...but she said nothing....I think she hit her 3rd from the tee block and she tripled the hole.

    Karma rules...I guess NYC deep down didn't have virtual certainty where her ball entered the hazard and played the option she felt best with and 3 off the tee....The Golf Gods liked this and she rallied back to win 4 strokes ahead of Amy Yang.

    Black Wolf Run was the start of the Korean women's LPGA domination run and sent many Koreans (male & female) to become golf addicts....1998 Se Ri Pak's USWO win at BWR.

    On -, @KBong

    Great post, Three!
    Posted:
  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited May 24, 2019 #194

    Not a surprise!

    "Michelle Wie won’t be playing in next week’s U.S. Women’s Open.
    The 29-year-old took to Instagram Friday to share the news.
    “While I’m making progress with my recovery, I have decided to withdraw from the U.S. Women’s Open,” Wie wrote. “It was a difficult decision to make because the U.S. Open was one that I was looking forward to playing in all year, but my recovery and health is the priority. Thanks so much for all the messages of support ­– they really keep my spirits up. I am hopeful that I’ll be seeing you all back out on Tour very soon!"

    https://golfweek.com/2019/05/24/golf-michelle-wie-announces-wont-play-u-s-womens-open/

    Posted:
  • AWinfortheAgesAWinfortheAges Members  308WRX Points: 201Posts: 308 Greens
    Joined:  #195

    On -, @18majors said:

    Not a surprise!

    "Michelle Wie won’t be playing in next week’s U.S. Women’s Open.
    The 29-year-old took to Instagram Friday to share the news.
    “While I’m making progress with my recovery, I have decided to withdraw from the U.S. Women’s Open,” Wie wrote. “It was a difficult decision to make because the U.S. Open was one that I was looking forward to playing in all year, but my recovery and health is the priority. Thanks so much for all the messages of support ­– they really keep my spirits up. I am hopeful that I’ll be seeing you all back out on Tour very soon!"

    https://golfweek.com/2019/05/24/golf-michelle-wie-announces-wont-play-u-s-womens-open/

    Good for her. No rush.

    Posted:
  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited May 25, 2019 #196

    Yealimi Noh won her first professional tournament two weeks ago at the Cactus Tour, May 8-10. She won her second tournament today by 7 shots at the Women's All-Pro Tour (WAPT).
    "Noh said she didn’t go through the LPGA’s Q school this year so right now, it’s just of putting together her own schedule after deciding to forego a scholarship at UCLA. By winning this event, she earned an exemption to play in the next Symetra event, the tour stage just below the LPGA, in its next event."
    Yealimi has played Symetra Tour twice this year; she's T13 and T35.
    Between Symetra Tour and her two wins, Yealimi has earned $14,650; more than most LPGA rookies.

    https://muskogeephoenix.com/sports/churchman-noh-winners-at-real-okie-championship/article_7ca1acd8-7e75-11e9-bfa1-4fe64fe93ea9.html

    Posted:
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members  4566WRX Points: 917Posts: 4,566 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #197

    On -, @18majors said:

    Yealimi Noh won her first professional tournament two weeks ago at the Cactus Tour, May 8-10. She won her second tournament today by 7 shots at the Women's All-Pro Tour (WAPT).
    "Noh said she didn’t go through the LPGA’s Q school this year so right now, it’s just of putting together her own schedule after deciding to forego a scholarship at UCLA. By winning this event, she earned an exemption to play in the next Symetra event, the tour stage just below the LPGA, in its next event."
    Yealimi has played Symetra Tour twice this year; she's T13 and T35.
    Between Symetra Tour and her two wins, Yealimi has earned $14,650; more than most LPGA rookies.

    https://muskogeephoenix.com/sports/churchman-noh-winners-at-real-okie-championship/article_7ca1acd8-7e75-11e9-bfa1-4fe64fe93ea9.html

    The WAPT played at our club last week. Britney Yada won for the 2nd time this year and is playing this week at the Symetra Tour event where she is 4 under after 2 rounds and tied for 10th.

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Awsi DoogerAwsi Dooger Members  4253WRX Points: 255Posts: 4,253 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #198

    On -, @MountainGoat said:

    I usually enjoy watching women's NCAA sports. Women's NCAA softball, in particular, seems to be everything that's right right with the game with none of the wrong. The level of skill is impressive, and the upbeat spirit and sportsmanship is infectious. It's a joy to watch regardless of who's playing.

    I didn't find the golf that way at all. I thought most of the women played the game like they were marching off to their own execution. There was a joylessness present that I don't sense in other sports, and the dull hugs at the end of the rounds suggested a level of forced sportsmanship that didn't reflect well on the competitors. Of everyone out there, only Maria Fassi exhibited a level of infectious enthusiasm that demonstrated any real love of the game.

    Give me a break. I never hit the disagree button but with that post I would do it with every word. If it didn't read so serious I'd swear it had to be a parody. There was nothing but overflowing enthusiasm in that event, including the hole in one and the pivotal fairway hole outs and everything else. You had teammates running from match to match and going nuts. There was one spot they watched from the top of a ledge at their teammate far below.

    Hilarious that you spotlight Fassi. No kidding she was enthusiastic. She won the individual event. That's just slightly different than a match play situation. Like one ocean to the other different. Do you have any idea how awkward it is to narrowly defeat someone in match play golf? That's why the reactions were so tempered. It was especially true in this event because so many matches came down to the final hole if not overtime holes. In that situation it's even more restrained because you know the other person fought her heart out and the outcome of your match just changed the entire thing.

    In watching this event for years I've noted that the guys are more over the top and willing to celebrate in their opponent's face. Not all of them but considerably more than the women. That's what you saw, but you were simply brutally unaware of the situational influence.

    Posted:
  • MountainGoatMountainGoat Mid-MarylandMembers  2637WRX Points: 1,235Posts: 2,637 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #199

    My observation was that many of the women played their rounds with a sense of joyless drudgery and cool sportsmanship not typical of other women's NCAA sports. Jennifer Kupcho, in particular, consistently looks like she's on emotional life support.

    Posted:
  • Argonne69Argonne69 Members  23360WRX Points: 7,336Posts: 23,360 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #200

    Keep in mind that due to the weather delays the semis and finals were held on the same day. I'd be dragging my butt too if I had to walk two rounds in one day carrying or pushing my clubs.

    Posted:
  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited May 25, 2019 #201

    Yealimi Noh; winning photo

    Posted:
  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited May 25, 2019 #202

    "The first and second round tee times and pairings for the 74th U.S. Women’s Open Championship at the Country Club of Charleston in Charleston, S.C. were announced Saturday.
    Reigning champion Ariya Jutanugarn returns and is paired with Sung Hyun Park and Lexi Thompson. The group will tee off the first round at 8:06 a.m. from the 10th tee.
    Amateurs Jennifer Kupcho, Sierra Brooks and Maria Fassi will tee off at 8:28 a.m. from the first tee in Round 1.
    Fourteen-year-old amateur Alexa Pano will tee off from the first tee at 7:22 a.m. Thursday alongside Fatima Fernandez Cano and Jimin Kang."

    https://golfweek.com/2019/05/25/golf-tee-times-pairings-for-74th-u-s-womens-open-championship/

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Enduro59Enduro59 Members  155WRX Points: 138Posts: 155 Fairways
    Joined:  #203

    On -, @18majors said:

    "The first and second round tee times and pairings for the 74th U.S. Women’s Open Championship at the Country Club of Charleston in Charleston, S.C. were announced Saturday.
    Reigning champion Ariya Jutanugarn returns and is paired with Sung Hyun Park and Lexi Thompson. The group will tee off the first round at 8:06 a.m. from the 10th tee.
    Amateurs Jennifer Kupcho, Sierra Brooks and Maria Fassi will tee off at 8:28 a.m. from the first tee in Round 1.
    Fourteen-year-old amateur Alexa Pano will tee off from the first tee at 7:22 a.m. Thursday alongside Fatima Fernandez Cano and Jimin Kang."

    https://golfweek.com/2019/05/25/golf-tee-times-pairings-for-74th-u-s-womens-open-championship/

    Wondered why I saw J. Kang out of nowhere playing in the Symetra event at Auburn this week.(missing the cut) Anyone know how she could have status to play the U.S.open. I thought I had reviewed the results of all the qualifiers but don't remember seeing her name.

    Posted:
  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited May 25, 2019 #204

    On -, @Enduro59 said:

    On -, @18majors said:

    "The first and second round tee times and pairings for the 74th U.S. Women’s Open Championship at the Country Club of Charleston in Charleston, S.C. were announced Saturday.
    Reigning champion Ariya Jutanugarn returns and is paired with Sung Hyun Park and Lexi Thompson. The group will tee off the first round at 8:06 a.m. from the 10th tee.
    Amateurs Jennifer Kupcho, Sierra Brooks and Maria Fassi will tee off at 8:28 a.m. from the first tee in Round 1.
    Fourteen-year-old amateur Alexa Pano will tee off from the first tee at 7:22 a.m. Thursday alongside Fatima Fernandez Cano and Jimin Kang."

    https://golfweek.com/2019/05/25/golf-tee-times-pairings-for-74th-u-s-womens-open-championship/

    Wondered why I saw J. Kang out of nowhere playing in the Symetra event at Auburn this week.(missing the cut) Anyone know how she could have status to play the U.S.open. I thought I had reviewed the results of all the qualifiers but don't remember seeing her name.

    She qualified at Scottsdale, Arizona

    SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ. - PINNACLE PEAK COUNTRY CLUB
    Stephanie Meadow - NORTHERN IRELAND 138
    Jimin Kang - SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ. 141
    A - Sarah Schmelzel - PHOENIX, AR

    usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2019/2019-u-s--women-s-open-qualifying-results.html

    Posted:
  • Enduro59Enduro59 Members  155WRX Points: 138Posts: 155 Fairways
    Joined:  #205

    On -, @18majors said:

    On -, @Enduro59 said:

    On -, @18majors said:

    "The first and second round tee times and pairings for the 74th U.S. Women’s Open Championship at the Country Club of Charleston in Charleston, S.C. were announced Saturday.
    Reigning champion Ariya Jutanugarn returns and is paired with Sung Hyun Park and Lexi Thompson. The group will tee off the first round at 8:06 a.m. from the 10th tee.
    Amateurs Jennifer Kupcho, Sierra Brooks and Maria Fassi will tee off at 8:28 a.m. from the first tee in Round 1.
    Fourteen-year-old amateur Alexa Pano will tee off from the first tee at 7:22 a.m. Thursday alongside Fatima Fernandez Cano and Jimin Kang."

    https://golfweek.com/2019/05/25/golf-tee-times-pairings-for-74th-u-s-womens-open-championship/

    Wondered why I saw J. Kang out of nowhere playing in the Symetra event at Auburn this week.(missing the cut) Anyone know how she could have status to play the U.S.open. I thought I had reviewed the results of all the qualifiers but don't remember seeing her name.

    She qualified at Scottsdale, Arizona

    SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ. - PINNACLE PEAK COUNTRY CLUB
    Stephanie Meadow - NORTHERN IRELAND 138
    Jimin Kang - SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ. 141
    A - Sarah Schmelzel - PHOENIX, AR

    usga.org/content/usga/home-page/championships/2019/2019-u-s--women-s-open-qualifying-results.html

    Thanks for that. I saw Meadow but my brain must have shut down after 1st place. I should have been looking harder at that local qualifier results since she lives there.

    Posted:
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members  1486WRX Points: 747Posts: 1,486 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #206

    Congrats to Annabel Dimmock for her first win on the LET.

    Posted:
  • 18majors18majors Members  1999WRX Points: 1,341Posts: 1,999 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #207

    Looking forward to seeing Yuka Saso; female Rory McIlroy, at USWO next week.
    Hope she makes the cut and manages to steal TV time.

    https://philstar.com/sports/2019/05/08/1916096/yuka-saso-thrilled-face-worlds-best-us-open

    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • MJ2712MJ2712 GermanyMembers  10WRX Points: 44Handicap: not playingPosts: 10 Bunkers
    Joined:  #208

    Fun tidbit from the new Rolex World Rankings: Georgia Hall on 22, Charley Hull on 23, Bronte Law on 24.
    Pretty amazing the development of the English ladies. In 2014 not qualified for the International Crown, now they would probably be the #3 seed.

    Posted:
  • legitimategolflegitimategolf Golf hard New York NYUnregistered  4853WRX Points: 826Posts: 4,853 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #209

    On -, @MJ2712 said:

    Fun tidbit from the new Rolex World Rankings: Georgia Hall on 22, Charley Hull on 23, Bronte Law on 24.
    Pretty amazing the development of the English ladies. In 2014 not qualified for the International Crown, now they would probably be the #3 seed.

    I used to feel that the Solheim Cup is an unfair fight and should be phased out, but in 2019 Europe has more LPGA wins than the USA. Now all of a sudden it seems like a good matchup, and I am looking forward to it! Somewhat.

    Posted:
  • Seamus_McDuffSeamus_McDuff Members  982WRX Points: 166Handicap: 4.3Posts: 982 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #210
    Posted:
27

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.