WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

> @"Ray Jackson" said:

> > @Spongeb0b said:

> > Seems like a good place to ask...I'm under a 1 hdcp at the moment but am a relatively new player and have never done legit stroke play sanctioned events. However I know that in matches I tend to get juiced up and fall apart - not nervous at all, just jacked up/adrenaline and it throws me off big time. Aside from just reps under those conditions - any tips for me? It's a death sentence off the tee.

> >

> > Edit: for reference I'd probably shoot 85 in a stroke play event

> Yes its reps and really understanding what your tendencies are under pressure and how to compensate for them whether that be breathing, walking slower between shots, playing for misses when faced with a shot/hole shape you typically don't like etc. For example i have found i am better hitting 2 iron and leaving myself a 4 iron into a green in a tournament when i face a hole that mentally i am struggling with, than hitting driver. My miss with the 4 iron into the green is better than my miss with the driver under stress. For you it sounds like you need to work on calming yourself and getting to a level state. Yes it comes down to reps.

>

This is great advice

Something I am working on

I don’t know how many people I’ve played with that tell me to take less than driver off the tee, but I just can’t get myself to do it or get myself comfortable to do it.

That may change for me soon, as I’m beyond frustrated with my game and feel like wasting money On Tournaments

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

> @Spongeb0b said:

> Seems like a good place to ask...I'm under a 1 hdcp at the moment but am a relatively new player and have never done legit stroke play sanctioned events. However I know that in matches I tend to get juiced up and fall apart - not nervous at all, just jacked up/adrenaline and it throws me off big time. Aside from just reps under those conditions - any tips for me? It's a death sentence off the tee.

>

> Edit: for reference I'd probably shoot 85 in a stroke play event

First thing you need to do is get your confidence up and stop knocking on yourself. If you're really a <1 hdcp you will not shoot an 85. You need to believe it and know it.

> @buzzthecat said:

> > @Spongeb0b said:

> > Seems like a good place to ask...I'm under a 1 hdcp at the moment but am a relatively new player and have never done legit stroke play sanctioned events. However I know that in matches I tend to get juiced up and fall apart - not nervous at all, just jacked up/adrenaline and it throws me off big time. Aside from just reps under those conditions - any tips for me? It's a death sentence off the tee.

> >

> > Edit: for reference I'd probably shoot 85 in a stroke play event

>

> First thing you need to do is get your confidence up and stop knocking on yourself. If you're really a <1 hdcp you will not shoot an 85. You need to believe it and know it.

I get what you'r saying...but if the few matches/stroke events (not legit tournaments) that I have done are any indication I absolutely would. I played a stoke event earlier this year and shot in the 90s....shot 75 two days earlier on same course (rated 74+) :D Just get amped up and can't get of the tee. It's pretty comical but also sad. What I didn't do was adjust and try and hit a safety shot..just kept pounding. Not sure the safety shot would have been any better. Like I said I'm relatively new to serious golf and am brand new to competitive play...so I haven't quite figured those strategies or shots out yet.

> @Spongeb0b said:

> > @buzzthecat said:

> > > @Spongeb0b said:

> > > Seems like a good place to ask...I'm under a 1 hdcp at the moment but am a relatively new player and have never done legit stroke play sanctioned events. However I know that in matches I tend to get juiced up and fall apart - not nervous at all, just jacked up/adrenaline and it throws me off big time. Aside from just reps under those conditions - any tips for me? It's a death sentence off the tee.

> > >

> > > Edit: for reference I'd probably shoot 85 in a stroke play event

> >

> > First thing you need to do is get your confidence up and stop knocking on yourself. If you're really a <1 hdcp you will not shoot an 85. You need to believe it and know it.

>

> I get what you'r saying...but if the few matches/stroke events (not legit tournaments) that I have done are any indication I absolutely would. I played a stoke event earlier this year and shot in the 90s....shot 75 two days earlier on same course (rated 74+) :D Just get amped up and can't get of the tee. It's pretty comical but also sad. What I didn't do was adjust and try and hit a safety shot..just kept pounding. Not sure the safety shot would have been any better. Like I said I'm relatively new to serious golf and am brand new to competitive play...so I haven't quite figured those strategies or shots out yet.

Then your competitive handicap is not <1 ;)

but buzz cat is right, just have to believe and stay confident

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

> @vietnameeh said:

> > @Spongeb0b said:

> > > @buzzthecat said:

> > > > @Spongeb0b said:

> > > > Seems like a good place to ask...I'm under a 1 hdcp at the moment but am a relatively new player and have never done legit stroke play sanctioned events. However I know that in matches I tend to get juiced up and fall apart - not nervous at all, just jacked up/adrenaline and it throws me off big time. Aside from just reps under those conditions - any tips for me? It's a death sentence off the tee.

> > > >

> > > > Edit: for reference I'd probably shoot 85 in a stroke play event

> > >

> > > First thing you need to do is get your confidence up and stop knocking on yourself. If you're really a <1 hdcp you will not shoot an 85. You need to believe it and know it.

> >

> > I get what you'r saying...but if the few matches/stroke events (not legit tournaments) that I have done are any indication I absolutely would. I played a stoke event earlier this year and shot in the 90s....shot 75 two days earlier on same course (rated 74+) :D Just get amped up and can't get of the tee. It's pretty comical but also sad. What I didn't do was adjust and try and hit a safety shot..just kept pounding. Not sure the safety shot would have been any better. Like I said I'm relatively new to serious golf and am brand new to competitive play...so I haven't quite figured those strategies or shots out yet.

>

> Then your competitive handicap is not <1 ;)

> but buzz cat is right, just have to believe and stay confident

>

I never said my competition handicap was

> @Spongeb0b said:

> > @vietnameeh said:

> > > @Spongeb0b said:

> > > > @buzzthecat said:

> > > > > @Spongeb0b said:

> > > > > Seems like a good place to ask...I'm under a 1 hdcp at the moment but am a relatively new player and have never done legit stroke play sanctioned events. However I know that in matches I tend to get juiced up and fall apart - not nervous at all, just jacked up/adrenaline and it throws me off big time. Aside from just reps under those conditions - any tips for me? It's a death sentence off the tee.

> > > > >

> > > > > Edit: for reference I'd probably shoot 85 in a stroke play event

> > > >

> > > > First thing you need to do is get your confidence up and stop knocking on yourself. If you're really a <1 hdcp you will not shoot an 85. You need to believe it and know it.

> > >

> > > I get what you'r saying...but if the few matches/stroke events (not legit tournaments) that I have done are any indication I absolutely would. I played a stoke event earlier this year and shot in the 90s....shot 75 two days earlier on same course (rated 74+) :D Just get amped up and can't get of the tee. It's pretty comical but also sad. What I didn't do was adjust and try and hit a safety shot..just kept pounding. Not sure the safety shot would have been any better. Like I said I'm relatively new to serious golf and am brand new to competitive play...so I haven't quite figured those strategies or shots out yet.

> >

> > Then your competitive handicap is not <1 ;)

> > but buzz cat is right, just have to believe and stay confident

> >

>

> I never said my competition handicap was

Its been said many times starting with Bobby Jones, there's golf and there's tournament golf, the two are entirely different. You need to simulate tournament conditions in your casual rounds somehow.

• Like 1

> @Spongeb0b said:

> > @buzzthecat said:

> > > @Spongeb0b said:

> > > Seems like a good place to ask...I'm under a 1 hdcp at the moment but am a relatively new player and have never done legit stroke play sanctioned events. However I know that in matches I tend to get juiced up and fall apart - not nervous at all, just jacked up/adrenaline and it throws me off big time. Aside from just reps under those conditions - any tips for me? It's a death sentence off the tee.

> > >

> > > Edit: for reference I'd probably shoot 85 in a stroke play event

> >

> > First thing you need to do is get your confidence up and stop knocking on yourself. If you're really a <1 hdcp you will not shoot an 85. You need to believe it and know it.

>

> I get what you'r saying...but if the few matches/stroke events (not legit tournaments) that I have done are any indication I absolutely would. I played a stoke event earlier this year and shot in the 90s....shot 75 two days earlier on same course (rated 74+) :D Just get amped up and can't get of the tee. It's pretty comical but also sad. What I didn't do was adjust and try and hit a safety shot..just kept pounding. Not sure the safety shot would have been any better. Like I said I'm relatively new to serious golf and am brand new to competitive play...so I haven't quite figured those strategies or shots out yet.

@Spongeb0b

Go play!

100% Doesn't matter what you shoot. Play until you're hungry. I live in a different state trust that my ego is not going to be affected by you being a 1 handicap or a 10 cap.

At some point you're going to get out of this "fear loop" and believe you can shoot better. Then you're gonna make changes and be really proud of yourself.

Fairways and greens!

• Like 1

> @vietnameeh said:

> This is great advice

>

> Something I am working on

>

> I don’t know how many people I’ve played with that tell me to take less than driver off the tee, but I just can’t get myself to do it or get myself comfortable to do it.

>

> That may change for me soon, as I’m beyond frustrated with my game and feel like wasting money On Tournaments

>

This is me too. It's really bad as I'll try to take a conservative line with a driver and end up still hitting a ball ob or something sometimes due to a double cross or something

Today I finally committed. Casual round but I took 2 iron or less off every par 4. The rest of my game wasnt on but still shot an easy 75. Misses didnt kill me, no where close to ob. The worst hole was a 430 yarder that I missed off the tee into the trees and had to hit 2 iron in again, but much better than a penalty stroke.

My new mantra (at least for the next 2 weeks till I screw it up) is if I can get inside 150 on every par 4 with a swing and a line to the flag I cant possibly shoot worse than even across them all, that leaves the par 3s to shoot for the fat of the green and 2 putt and the par 5s to score on.

> @Ty_Webb said:

> > @Ty_Webb said:

> > I played the strangest round of my life today. I shot level 4s (72), but I had no 4s on my scorecard at all. I had 2 6s, 6 5s and 10 3s. Seven of those 3s were on par 4s and I was holing putts from all over the place.

> > This was the opening round of the Long Island Amateur. Top 31 go into matchplay along with last year's winner. Right now I'm sitting at +2, in a tie for 12th. Hope it doesn't go to a playoff, or if it does not at +2.

>

> Made it. Matchplay starts tomorrow morning. For anyone interested, my hole by hole scores today:

> 635353333 535553336

> Double, birdie, double, birdie, bogey, birdie, par, birdie, birdie, bogey, par, bogey, bogey, par, birdie, par, birdie, bogey. A wild ride.

Well matchplay didn't exactly go as planned. I didn't hit it where I wanted to a whole lot and I holed absolutely nothing. Had a putt do a 360 horseshoe on number 4 and that kind of threw me on the greens. Where on Monday I saw the lines perfectly all day, on Tuesday I couldn't see them at all. Just one of those days. Highlight was on 15, a short par 4. Fronting bunker that was 275 carry, slightly downwind, then about 15 yards of fringe and then the green. I hammered my driver and it carried the bunker and wound up on the green. Won that hole to go back to 2 down, but two pars on the next two weren't enough. I hit two really good drives all day. That one on 15 and another on a long par 4 with a principal's nose bunker configuration in the middle of the fairway. I didn't go in the bunker because they are surrounded by rough, but I was in the long grass all the same. I did make a few fours this time though.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

Seeking some advice.

I am not usually the type to care so much about how I am playing currently or hitting leading up to a tournament. But my game has been really struggling (two way miss, poor iron shots and mediocre short game). I have been putting in the work in, just being patient.

I am playing a Qualifier tomorrow. I think I got into my own head and just not confident heading into this. Played a practice round Monday, luckily got paired up with a player who is also playing tomorrow (He shot a couple over). I shot a 84 (4 fairways, 5 greens, 29 putts) :neutral: I lost a few balls off the tee which include hitting in hazards on par 3s 180-210 into the wind. a good number of holes are lined with sensitive hazards.

I have a game plan that I have from playing my last tournament + practice round

I plan on hitting a lot of 3 woods and hybrids off the tee (regardless of how I feel at the range and during the round). I will use driver where I know its open enough for me.

I plan on aiming for the fat part of the greens regardless of pin placement

Hoping to rely on my short game/putting...

I figure if I can keep it in play I should be ok, but I know I will really need to grind it out tomorrow even if I shoot another 84. I am second guessing myself because if I am not hitting it solid, hitting hybrid or 3 wood off the tee will still be a task for me adding more pressure having longer 2nd shots in (I could be overthinking this).

Will be heading to range tonight to work on rhythm and feel (I will not be working on anything technical except for alignment and playing the course on the range). short game work as well

I am wondering what others do when you aren't feeling "right" heading into a tournament.

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

> @vietnameeh said:

> Seeking some advice.

> I am not usually the type to care so much about how I am playing currently or hitting leading up to a tournament. But my game has been really struggling (two way miss, poor iron shots and mediocre short game). I have been putting in the work in, just being patient.

> I am playing a Qualifier tomorrow. I think I got into my own head and just not confident heading into this. Played a practice round Monday, luckily got paired up with a player who is also playing tomorrow (He shot a couple over). I shot a 84 (4 fairways, 5 greens, 29 putts) :neutral: I lost a few balls off the tee which include hitting in hazards on par 3s 180-210 into the wind. a good number of holes are lined with sensitive hazards.

> I have a game plan that I have from playing my last tournament + practice round

> I plan on hitting a lot of 3 woods and hybrids off the tee (regardless of how I feel at the range and during the round). I will use driver where I know its open enough for me.

> I plan on aiming for the fat part of the greens regardless of pin placement

> Hoping to rely on my short game/putting...

> I figure if I can keep it in play I should be ok, but I know I will really need to grind it out tomorrow even if I shoot another 84. I am second guessing myself because if I am not hitting it solid, hitting hybrid or 3 wood off the tee will still be a task for me adding more pressure having longer 2nd shots in (I could be overthinking this).

> Will be heading to range tonight to work on rhythm and feel (I will not be working on anything technical except for alignment and playing the course on the range). short game work as well

> I am wondering what others do when you aren't feeling "right" heading into a tournament.

on the range -- work on finding a bandaid swing to hold you over through tomorrow. if it's a cut...draw, low shot, etc...play it. worst comes to worst go back to basics and remind yourself to just swing the club. you're done it before -- you're in your own head at this point.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

Worked on some stuff... will be playing a little hold off cut shot ... wish me luck! Lol

• Like 2

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

> @vietnameeh said:

> Worked on some stuff... will be playing a little hold off cut shot ... wish me luck! Lol

Luck!!!!

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @vietnameeh said:

> Seeking some advice.

> I am not usually the type to care so much about how I am playing currently or hitting leading up to a tournament. But my game has been really struggling (two way miss, poor iron shots and mediocre short game). I have been putting in the work in, just being patient.

> I am playing a Qualifier tomorrow. I think I got into my own head and just not confident heading into this. Played a practice round Monday, luckily got paired up with a player who is also playing tomorrow (He shot a couple over). I shot a 84 (4 fairways, 5 greens, 29 putts) :neutral: I lost a few balls off the tee which include hitting in hazards on par 3s 180-210 into the wind. a good number of holes are lined with sensitive hazards.

> I have a game plan that I have from playing my last tournament + practice round

> I plan on hitting a lot of 3 woods and hybrids off the tee (regardless of how I feel at the range and during the round). I will use driver where I know its open enough for me.

> I figure if I can keep it in play I should be ok, but I know I will really need to grind it out tomorrow even if I shoot another 84. I am second guessing myself because if I am not hitting it solid, hitting hybrid or 3 wood off the tee will still be a task for me adding more pressure having longer 2nd shots in (I could be overthinking this).

> Will be heading to range tonight to work on rhythm and feel (I will not be working on anything technical except for alignment and playing the course on the range). short game work as well

> I am wondering what others do when you aren't feeling "right" heading into a tournament.

Its the > @vietnameeh said:

> Seeking some advice.

Chances are yr gonna play fine!

Well i qualified for NCGA public links!!! I shot +5

This round was interesting I was never comfortable over the ball. But i stuck to my little pull cut. It seemed to work ok... every once in a while I would tug it left but it would be ok. It felt like I slapped the ball with no compression lol

I stuck to my plan I hit a lot of hybrids and 3 wood.

My iron game is really terrible and it shows as I bogeyed all the par 3s. I had a huge hiccup/brain fart on #11 437 par 4 just straight. Hit 3 wood to 150ish helping wind. I went to hit a smooth PW and pulled it a bit for some reason I lost in flight so did everyone in my group... so I hit a provisional and hit that one OB .... took out the 52* put it on and 2 putted for an 8 (at this point I thought it was over).

I’m proud of myself as I didn’t quit and grinded really hard after that. I started hitting better shots (except for the next par 3s) I was giving myself chances at birdies and finished birdie birdie. I didn’t think the scores were going to be as high as they were but I also don’t think we had the best players at this site.

Relieved but it was one of the rounds I had to really focus haha I’m pooped!

https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/1802542

Tied for 2nd

• Like 2

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Hello everyone. Just a quick check-in. Not playing much right now. Just weekend golf. No time for tournaments. Major work changes (good stuff). Just thought I'd check in. Still playing relatively well when I play at my home course. Looking forward to a couple upcoming events. :-)

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

> Hello everyone. Just a quick check-in. Not playing much right now. Just weekend golf. No time for tournaments. Major work changes (good stuff). Just thought I'd check in. Still playing relatively well when I play at my home course. Looking forward to a couple upcoming events. :-)

Anything to help with the major commute? Hope you get to play a little more!

> @vietnameeh said:

> Well i qualified for NCGA public links!!! I shot +5

>

> This round was interesting I was never comfortable over the ball. But i stuck to my little pull cut. It seemed to work ok... every once in a while I would tug it left but it would be ok. It felt like I slapped the ball with no compression lol

>

> I stuck to my plan I hit a lot of hybrids and 3 wood.

> My iron game is really terrible and it shows as I bogeyed all the par 3s. I had a huge hiccup/brain **** on #11 437 par 4 just straight. Hit 3 wood to 150ish helping wind. I went to hit a smooth PW and pulled it a bit for some reason I lost in flight so did everyone in my group... so I hit a provisional and hit that one OB .... took out the 52* put it on and 2 putted for an 8 (at this point I thought it was over).

>

> I’m proud of myself as I didn’t quit and grinded really hard after that. I started hitting better shots (except for the next par 3s) I was giving myself chances at birdies and finished birdie birdie. I didn’t think the scores were going to be as high as they were but I also don’t think we had the best players at this site.

>

> Relieved but it was one of the rounds I had to really focus haha I’m pooped!

>

> https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/1802542

>

> Tied for 2nd

>

Nice score with a quad man. Good round.

Was it windy out there? Those are some big scores for metro but the wind can make it ugly.

> @mneumann said:

> >

>

> Nice score with a quad man. Good round.

> Was it windy out there? Those are some big scores for metro but the wind can make it ugly.

For some reason it was blowing hard starting the morning 7:30am. When I played Monday there was barely any wind when I teed off at 11:30am

But the wind leveled off around 9-10 then picked up again at 12.

Honestly the course was ready to be taken. I don’t remember metro’s greens being so soft. They rolled great but they were not firm like they were when I played the 4 ball qualifier where you had to calculate the bounce off the green.

I was expecting to see at least a 70 out there today. I kind of had my head down walking in to submit my score (I was the last group), but realized everyone scored high. Not to take anything away from myself or everyone the course was definitely open for a low round

Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

> @vietnameeh said:

> > @mneumann said:

>

> > >

> >

> > Nice score with a quad man. Good round.

> > Was it windy out there? Those are some big scores for metro but the wind can make it ugly.

>

> For some reason it was blowing hard starting the morning 7:30am. When I played Monday there was barely any wind when I teed off at 11:30am

>

> But the wind leveled off around 9-10 then picked up again at 12.

>

> Honestly the course was ready to be taken. I don’t remember metro’s greens being so soft. They rolled great but they were not firm like they were when I played the 4 ball qualifier where you had to calculate the bounce off the green.

>

> I was expecting to see at least a 70 out there today. I kind of had my head down walking in to submit my score (I was the last group), but realized everyone scored high. Not to take anything away from myself or everyone the course was definitely open for a low round

>

>

Congrats man, turning the corner, go get em at the Pub Links

• Like 1

Hey guys, looking for some advice on the mental game, which seems to be a weakness for a lot of users here. We all know this is what separates guys like Tiger from everyone else. The ability to forget double bogeys and bag swings and come back with birdies. I am thinking about trying to qualify for a big PGA pro-am tournament in my area next month. I qualified once before, years ago, with a 78. Did not play that well in the tournament. Tried again 3 years ago and shot 37-47. It was like I could not control my swing on the back nine, had to be a mental situation. I was so disappointed I quit competitive golf since then and i only play now with my dad. I have two young kids at home and a full time job so preparation time for the qualifier will be limited. Any advice for preparing and the mental game? thanks!

Taylormade M2
Callaway Epic 15 degree
Titleist 910H
Titleist 716CB with Dynamic Gold S400 4-PW
Titleist Vokey 56, 60
Titleist Scotty California Monterey 35 in
Titleist Pro V1x

So the first round of the Texas Woman's Stroke play is in the books. I started on the back nine and hit several tee shots that cost me strokes. Limped in on that nine with a 41. Finally got tee shots back under control, hit some good approaches, and made a lucky putt or two. Finished the front nine with a bird to come home in 35 for a 76. That leaves me T25 in the championship and solo 2nd for mid-am medal (5 back). Leader shot a 69. Bad start, but I like how I finished. Hopefully the better play will carry over tomorrow.

• Like 1

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> So the first round of the Texas Woman's Stroke play is in the books. I started on the back nine and hit several tee shots that cost me strokes. Limped in on that nine with a 41. Finally got tee shots back under control, hit some good approaches, and made a lucky putt or two. Finished the front nine with a bird to come home in 35 for a 76. That leaves me T25 in the championship and solo 2nd for mid-am medal (5 back). Leader shot a 69. Bad start, but I like how I finished. Hopefully the better play will carry over tomorrow.

Gl tomorrow!! Play ur game and make a better start. U got this - ?

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

> @gioguy21 said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > So the first round of the Texas Woman's Stroke play is in the books. I started on the back nine and hit several tee shots that cost me strokes. Limped in on that nine with a 41. Finally got tee shots back under control, hit some good approaches, and made a lucky putt or two. Finished the front nine with a bird to come home in 35 for a 76. That leaves me T25 in the championship and solo 2nd for mid-am medal (5 back). Leader shot a 69. Bad start, but I like how I finished. Hopefully the better play will carry over tomorrow.

>

> Gl tomorrow!! Play ur game and make a better start. U got this - ?

Thanks. All about the tee shots. Fazio course with lots of bunkers. Must avoid. Changing my warmup to putt first and range work last. I want driver to be the last warmup club before going to the first tee.

Fazio generally gives you generous landing areas on tee shot -- IF you take a moderately conservative line.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> > @gioguy21 said:

> > > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > So the first round of the Texas Woman's Stroke play is in the books. I started on the back nine and hit several tee shots that cost me strokes. Limped in on that nine with a 41. Finally got tee shots back under control, hit some good approaches, and made a lucky putt or two. Finished the front nine with a bird to come home in 35 for a 76. That leaves me T25 in the championship and solo 2nd for mid-am medal (5 back). Leader shot a 69. Bad start, but I like how I finished. Hopefully the better play will carry over tomorrow.

> >

> > Gl tomorrow!! Play ur game and make a better start. U got this - ?

>

> Thanks. All about the tee shots. Fazio course with lots of bunkers. Must avoid. Changing my warmup to putt first and range work last. I want driver to be the last warmup club before going to the first tee.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

> @Obee said:

>

> Fazio generally gives you generous landing areas on tee shot -- IF you take a moderately conservative line.

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > @gioguy21 said:

> > > > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > > > So the first round of the Texas Woman's Stroke play is in the books. I started on the back nine and hit several tee shots that cost me strokes. Limped in on that nine with a 41. Finally got tee shots back under control, hit some good approaches, and made a lucky putt or two. Finished the front nine with a bird to come home in 35 for a 76. That leaves me T25 in the championship and solo 2nd for mid-am medal (5 back). Leader shot a 69. Bad start, but I like how I finished. Hopefully the better play will carry over tomorrow.

> > >

> > > Gl tomorrow!! Play ur game and make a better start. U got this - ?

> >

> > Thanks. All about the tee shots. Fazio course with lots of bunkers. Must avoid. Changing my warmup to putt first and range work last. I want driver to be the last warmup club before going to the first tee.

>

>

Yes. There is plenty of room. Just need to execute. Not used to hitting so many drivers. Haven't had to do it in a long time!

Second round of the Texas Women's Stroke play is complete. Rain early this morning softened the greens so scoring was very good. Leader is at -8 after a very nice 66 today. Young lady in my group shot a very good 68. I doubled the first after a decent tee shot corkscrewed left off a fairway slope leaving me 1 foot above a steep bunker. Had to backhand it into the fairway and ended up with double. Fought back well to shoot 36 on the front. I was still even with 3 to play, but made a couple bogeys coming in. Ran out of gas a bit. 74 is an improvement and a good round for me on a course like this one. I am T19 for the championship and still solo 2nd for the mid-am title (6 back). Gotta go low tomorrow for any chance at mid-am title.

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> Second round of the Texas Women's Stroke play is complete. Rain early this morning softened the greens so scoring was very good. Leader is at -8 after a very nice 66 today. Young lady in my group shot a very good 68. I doubled the first after a decent tee shot corkscrewed left off a fairway slope leaving me 1 foot above a steep bunker. Had to backhand it into the fairway and ended up with double. Fought back well to shoot 36 on the front. I was still even with 3 to play, but made a couple bogeys coming in. Ran out of gas a bit. 74 is an improvement and a good round for me on a course like this one. I am T19 for the championship and still solo 2nd for the mid-am title (6 back). Gotta go low tomorrow for any chance at mid-am title.

Well played after a tough break to start your round.

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

> @ebrasmus21 said:

> > @ThinkingPlus said:

> > Second round of the Texas Women's Stroke play is complete. Rain early this morning softened the greens so scoring was very good. Leader is at -8 after a very nice 66 today. Young lady in my group shot a very good 68. I doubled the first after a decent tee shot corkscrewed left off a fairway slope leaving me 1 foot above a steep bunker. Had to backhand it into the fairway and ended up with double. Fought back well to shoot 36 on the front. I was still even with 3 to play, but made a couple bogeys coming in. Ran out of gas a bit. 74 is an improvement and a good round for me on a course like this one. I am T19 for the championship and still solo 2nd for the mid-am title (6 back). Gotta go low tomorrow for any chance at mid-am title.

>

> Well played after a tough break to start your round.

Thanks. I really, really need to keep the ball right off #1 tee. Goal 1 tomorrow.

Final round of the Texas Women's Stroke play is complete. Winner was -9. Mid-am winner was at -2 and was T4 in the chsmpionship. I woke this morning to fever and a worsening cough. Suffice it to say I felt like shift. Managed to hold it together very well with a 36 on the front. Took another handful of Ibuprofen at the turn, but late on the back nine I still fell apart. Blocked tee shots into bunkers proved my undoing (par 4s and par 3). Limped home in 41 for a 77. That left me T25 for the championship and solo 2nd for the mid-am portion. Highlights were 11 birdies over 3 days and I hit the 474 yard par 5 13th in two all 3 days. Lowlights were a double each day and I only birdied the 13th hole once. Had a good time as always, but wished I wasn't sick today.