***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

More PING Fun

2»

Comments

• ricknobertsricknoberts  408Members Posts: 408

I've never heard of PING charging such an exorbitant amount for reshafting/regripping and loft lie adjustments before. Is this a recent change?

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • johngalt312johngalt312 Member  531ClubWRX Posts: 531

@ricknoberts said:
    I've never heard of PING charging such an exorbitant amount for reshafting/regripping and loft lie adjustments before. Is this a recent change?

I think it was their regular pricing (S59 Tour 2-P): Project X 6.0 (had to pay for shafts of course and I know Project X Rifle is a PING upcharge shaft) hard stepped standard length, D2 swing weight, GP TV 360 standard (standard one wrap of tape), blue dot to black dot, half club strong. Shipping both ways. $758.89 (just looked at statement).

Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    Glide 3.0 Wedges 52* & 58*
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel

Voicemail from PING - they are crediting me back $223.50 ($74.50 (the shaft plus service charge for each club) times three) for the three clubs that they broke (7i completely broken; 5i and 6i stress fractured).

Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel
  • the bishopthe bishop  3561Members Posts: 3,561

@johngalt312
    Just out of curiosity, how many degrees were you having the irons bent? Bending clubs always entails risk and one might not be surprising but 3 out of a set? Assuming its not an extreme amount it almost strikes me as incompetent.

Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5* 
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P
    W/S PMP 52/56/60
    W/S Infinite Windy City

@the bishop said:
    @johngalt312
    Just out of curiosity, how many degrees were you having the irons bent? Bending clubs always entails risk and one might not be surprising but 3 out of a set? Assuming its not an extreme amount it almost strikes me as incompetent.

Bent “half club strong” from standard (PING maximum strong bend for S59 Tour).
    As I recall, PING puts the clubs in a vice device and hits them repeatedly with a mallet until the desired angles are attained (per their measurement apparatus). Contrast this with a bending machine where a constant force is applied to reach the desired degrees.
    I’ll post some pictures of what they send back.

Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel

@johngalt312 said:

@the bishop said:
    @johngalt312

Bent “half club strong” from standard (PING maximum strong bend for S59 Tour).
    I’ll post some pictures of what they send back.

Ok I'm not familiar with that but if that means say half the difference between the 8 and the 7 iron for example that would mean less than a degree strong right?

Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5* 
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P
    W/S PMP 52/56/60
    W/S Infinite Windy City

Advertisement
  • wbondwbond S.E. Michigan 638Members Posts: 638

Agreed, this makes no sense, there are too many other companies with comparable equipment. Getting screwed far too many times my friend

@third-times-a-charm said:
    After the third screw up...heck, even the first - why would you continue to use their products?

Posted:
  • t4t3rt4t3r  2843Members Posts: 2,843

There’s 3-4 degrees between most irons so they could’ve been bending as much as 2 degrees. It’s a little bit of a dance trying to get lie AND loft set as requested, so with cast heads like these, that increases the chance of popping one (or three).

Sounds like they are trying to take care of you though.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - Diamana S+ 72x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 20* - UST iRoD 85x
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD4 50.10S - DG Tour Issue 115
    Callaway MD4 54.10S - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
    Taylormade TP5x

@t4t3r said:
    There’s 3-4 degrees between most irons so they could’ve been bending as much as 2 degrees. It’s a little bit of a dance trying to get lie AND loft set as requested, so with cast heads like these, that increases the chance of popping one (or three).

Sounds like they are trying to take care of you though.

Yeah my bad I read the OP wrong. So looking at the S59 standard specs online the most the loft would have have to been adjusted was 2* which is pretty much at the high end of what is typically recommended. But they should have been able to handle it and also if they do break one I think a good protocol would be to stop right there and notify the customer and ask if they want to continue. What if they broke 7 instead of 3? Lol. Our bad. Sry.

Posted:
    W/S Cortex 10.5* 
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S FG Tour Forged 5-P
    W/S PMP 52/56/60
    W/S Infinite Windy City
  • pseudoswedepseudoswede Fear the Power Draw Parker, CO 1469Members Posts: 1,469

@puttnforthe8 said:
    I have had 2 set of S56s adjusted and in both instances I was asked to sign a 'waiver of responsibility' if the clubs broke during the process. It was explained to me clearly that adjusting these irons had a risk of breaking. Fortunately, none broke.

Interesting. I sent in a set of S56s and Tour-S wedges to have adjusted two months ago. From purple dot to orange dot, so probably less than a degree of lie change--plus I asked to confirm and adjust lofts, which also probably only required less than a degree of adjustment. I only got e-mailed a waiver for the wedges.

Posted:
    "In the end, everything is fine; if it is not fine, it is not the end."

--Unknown

Ping G LS Tec 9° 65X
    Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
    Ping Glide 52°, 56°, 60° (orange dot)
    Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
    Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Spoke with PING. Correction: clubs’ lofts were all bent “quarter club strong”. As I recall, it wasn’t much in terms of actual degrees, but I didn’t bother again asking what exactly they changed to.

So they are making an exception and returning to me all clubs (even the three broken ones (which they said they normally keep and destroy)), and refunding their charges for the three broken clubs ($74.50 times three).

They are shipping the clubs back to me shortly. Not exactly sure what I now do with 2i-4i and 8i-P, but I guess that’s that. Might blend the 8i-P with another set, but the 2i-4i are pretty useless.

Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel

Advertisement
  • t4t3rt4t3r  2843Members Posts: 2,843

The fact that they’re just sending you back 3 broken clubs and acting like nothing ever happened seems very un-Ping-like.

Posted:
    Taylormade M3 440 10* - Tensei Pro Blue 60tx
    Titleist TS2 16.5* - Diamana S+ 72x
    Callaway 815 Alpha 20* - UST iRoD 85x
    Callaway 2013 X-Forged 5-PW - Nippon Modus 130
    Callaway MD4 50.10S - DG Tour Issue 115
    Callaway MD4 54.10S - Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
    Callaway PM Grind 60.10 - DG Tour Issue S400
    Scotty Cameron Milspec 350g
    Taylormade TP5x

@t4t3r said:
    The fact that they’re just sending you back 3 broken clubs and acting like nothing ever happened seems very un-Ping-like.

They did refund the charges for the work for those three [broken] clubs, for whatever it’s worth.
    They’re also not technically wrong here - this is what I would anticipate them to do if they followed/wanted to follow their letter of the law.
    That said, it’s unfortunate, and still not what I would necessarily expect.

Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel

Well they nailed this custom order in their first attempt:

Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel
    Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel
  • thevaporzthevaporz  3127Members Posts: 3,127

Fool me once...
    I would've been done with 'em after the first screw up. Let alone 20+ purchases by OP after they screwed him over countless times.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • pinhigh27pinhigh27  9769Members Posts: 9,769

I would think they'd at least offer a discount on new irons or some sort of compensation. Just because you say they have no responsibility doesn't mean they have to leave youhigh and dry. Clearly someone screwed up when multiple clubs are messed up and they kept going.

The amount of ping gear you own doesn't affect if the treatment is right or not. Although I'm not sure why you have bought numerous ping stuff after they messed up numerous previous orders. I also don't know why someone would pay 800 to refurbish old irons

Posted:
    How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700
  • fore_lifefore_life Swung too hard, hit it too pure.  10518Members Posts: 10,518

I think ping is one of two manufacturers that I would play a full set, top to bottom, but I’d only play a full bag if I got them for free lol literally everything I’ve owned from them in the last several years has failed

Posted:
    Ping G400 LST Ust Attas Earth 9f5
    M4 15* with bimatrix rocket X
    Titleist 21* H2 evenflow blue 6.5
    718 tmb 4 iron
    718 cb 5-pw amt x100 tour
    Vokeys
    Cleveland TA milled 1i

Various other putters currently in the closet,
    thinking about what they've done wrong,
    and how they've hurt me so.
  • straightshot7straightshot7  3348Members Posts: 3,348

Did they put the NEW shafts in and then proceed to break them?

I don't understand why they didn't just put a new shaft in them, after breaking.

I have no experience in this area. What am I missing?

This seems ridiculous.

Posted:
  • sooner66sooner66  204Members Posts: 204

@straightshot7 said:

I don't understand why they didn't just put a new shaft in them, after breaking.

This seems ridiculous.

I think they broke the clubheads, not the shafts.

Posted:

@sooner66 said:

@straightshot7 said:

This seems ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure it's the shafts. In one post he said "Voicemail from PING - they are crediting me back $223.50 ($74.50 (the shaft plus service charge for each club) times three) for the three clubs that they broke (7i completely broken; 5i and 6i stress fractured)."

Either way, I don't understand how they can hold him accountable for the damage they did to the clubs/shafts.

And if they have to have a policy that exempts them from covering the damage that they do, they shouldn't be working on clubs to begin with, imo.

Edit: Sounds like you're right, it's the club heads. My mistake.

Posted:
    Post edited by straightshot7 on

Advertisement
  • brew4eaglebrew4eagle VA 2991Members Posts: 2,991

@straightshot7 said:

@sooner66 said:

@straightshot7 said:

This seems ridiculous.

I'm pretty sure it's the shafts. In one post he said "Voicemail from PING - they are crediting me back $223.50 ($74.50 (the shaft plus service charge for each club) times three) for the three clubs that they broke (7i completely broken; 5i and 6i stress fractured)."

Either way, I don't understand how they can hold him accountable for the damage they did to the clubs/shafts.

And if they have to have a policy that exempts them from covering the damage that they do, they shouldn't be working on clubs to begin with, imo.

The club heads broke from bending. It's common for companies to require the customer to sign a waiver as there is risk of breakage when bending clubs, especially older models. As a customer your other option is not bend the clubs or take on the job yourself.

Posted:
    PING i20 10.5*
    Adams a7 19*
    PING G25 23*
    Nike VR Forged Pro Combo 5-P
    Titleist Vokey SM6 52F, 58M
    Black Lab BL-1

@brew4eagle said:

@straightshot7 said:

@sooner66 said:

@straightshot7 said:

This seems ridiculous.

The club heads broke from bending. It's common for companies to require the customer to sign a waiver as there is risk of breakage when bending clubs, especially older models. As a customer your other option is not bend the clubs or take on the job yourself.

Okay, thanks for explaining.

My mistake thinking it was the shafts.

It seems like a clear mistake by one or both parties to even attempt this if there was a decent likelihood of "breaking" 3 clubheads. And then when you break one you keep going? And you break a second you keep going? Lol. Seems silly.

Posted:

@straightshot7 said:

This seems ridiculous.

Correct, they re-shafted/re-gripped the clubs (i.e the club heads), then broke the club heads during loft/lie bending. I received the S59s today; the 7 iron (that completely broke) was absent the shipment. They did include the stress fractured 5 and 6 irons and I would instead call those club heads’ metal fatigued/bulged (at the hosels).

Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel

@sooner66 said:

@straightshot7 said:

This seems ridiculous.

Correct as respects all three.

Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel

@straightshot7 said:

@brew4eagle said:

@straightshot7 said:

@sooner66 said:

@straightshot7 said:

This seems ridiculous.

It seems like a clear mistake by one or both parties to even attempt this if there was a decent likelihood of "breaking" 3 clubheads. And then when you break one you keep going? And you break a second you keep going? Lol. Seems silly.

Had it been explained to me that there was a high propensity for the club heads to break I may have only requested the lies (not lofts), if that. Why they broke one, but then continued bending more (only two break two more), I don’t understand. Common sense would dictate call the customer and advise what happened/the risk to continue, as opposed to simply proceeding (and breaking more). I would not have told them to continue after they broke one.

Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel

Advertisement

@johngalt312 said:

@straightshot7 said:

@brew4eagle said:

@straightshot7 said:

@sooner66 said:

@straightshot7 said:

This seems ridiculous.

Had it been explained to me that there was a high propensity for the club heads to break I may have only requested the lies (not lofts), if that. Why they broke one, but then continued bending more (only two break two more), I don’t understand. Common sense would dictate call the customer and advise what happened/the risk to continue, as opposed to simply proceeding (and breaking more). I would not have told them to continue after they broke one.

Yeah it seems like in this case they should be the experts and should have known beforehand that this might happen. And therefore advise you of the risk or advise not attempting the changes.

Unless this is known to be a high risk procedure and they assume everyone knows that and wants to proceed anyway. That's the only way I can imagine they don't feel responsible.

Otherwise I would think they would at least offer to sell you some heads at a big discount.

Posted:
  • wareagle12wareagle12  320Members Posts: 320

This is crazy to me. I love PING and have had great experiences with them. I'm sorry this happened. I used to work at a big retailer and we did club work. I remember our pro breaking an Eye 2 iron changing the lie and PING sent us a new one. I don't know if we had to pay for it but I don't think so. I feel this is a fairly common problem with their clubs. The pro told me just to tell customers we couldn't adjust PING clubs. I would think it has to do with the material being really hard? 17-4? In any case, I hope they take care of you more than they have to this point.

Posted:
    Driver- PING G400 VC 6.1 X
    5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
    3-PW S56 SPB X
    52,56,60 Ping Glide
    Putter - PING Ti 4

@wareagle12 said:
    This is crazy to me. I love PING and have had great experiences with them. I'm sorry this happened. I used to work at a big retailer and we did club work. I remember our pro breaking an Eye 2 iron changing the lie and PING sent us a new one. I don't know if we had to pay for it but I don't think so. I feel this is a fairly common problem with their clubs. The pro told me just to tell customers we couldn't adjust PING clubs. I would think it has to do with the material being really hard? 17-4? In any case, I hope they take care of you more than they have to this point.

Probably metal type and/or as cast. And nah, I think it’s all said and done.

Posted:
    G410 Driver
    G400 3-Wood
    G400 5-Wood
    i210 Irons 3-W
    PLD Prime Tyne Putter
    Jani-King Towel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights