That Guy!

So every club has one or two or more members that are "That Guy" - the guy no one likes and no one wants to play with. So I am thinking it might be fun to compile a list of things that guy does that makes him "That Guy".

For me these are are all real

1. Asks a guy to move his ball mark, after he putts informs he didn't move his mark back and call the penalty while the ball is rolling

2. Lets each guy buy him a beer in the foursome. When it comes time to buy the fourth round comes back with one beer for himself

3. Goes out to the 100 yard marker on a hole in the evening and hits wedge shots for 30 minutes creating a crap load of divots in one area

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real guys I encounter in my weekend games:

The guy who is terrible and cusses and throws a fit after every bad shot, which is every shot.

The slow old guy who refuses to ride and takes 5 hours to walk 18 with an open course.

The distracted guy who seems to be out on a nature walk instead of focusing on hitting his shot and going straight to his next one. He also likes to strike up a conversation on the green when it is his turn to putt and there is a group waiting on your's.

The guy who is playing a new course and asks about all the trouble (most he can't reach and should just aim down the fairway), which part of the fairway to hit (any part, chances are he won't) and asks "do you think that will be ok" after every shot.

I have a couple for this one from the guys at my club (granted, most of these are the same person) :

- That guy who smashes his clubs off of anything solid after a bad shot. I'm talking things like carts, the divot repair sand boxes (he's broken one and badly damaged another that I've seen), trees, and ball washers.

- That guy who always questions your drops/the relief you get even when the rest of the foursome agrees on how to proceed.

- That guy who waits until the end of a round to let someone know that something they did hole 14 was illegal and now that they've signed their scorecard without adding the penalty strokes, they will be DQ'd from the event.

- That guy who will snap hook a drive into the woods and always seems to find his ball 20 yards deep into the woods, with a clear shot to the green no less!

The guy who flirts with ob on nearly every tee shot, but "somehow" is never actually ob and always has a clear shot to the green. He of course, ALWAYS is the one to find his own ball.

The club throwing, profanity spewing, jerkoff that can't break 110, but somehow thinks by some miracle, he's supposed to hit it pure with his over the top slap slice swing, and goes on a tirade when he hits a bad shot or putt, which is 110-130 times a round.

The guy, who's handicap is 12 strokes higher than yours, that reminds you of a blowup hole you had last time you played. "This is the hole you hit it ob left last time, so I'd aim right." Seriously?

The guy who talks to your ball only when you hit a bad putt or poor chip, but never compliments a good shot. As if to somehow bring more attention to your less than perfect shots. Mr. "Check! Check!"

The guy who won't stand still on the putting green when people are trying to putt. He paces around, taking practice strokes, looking at his line, etc, all in view as you're over your putt.

The "in a hurry" guy who races ahead to the whites to tee off after the guys hitting from the tips tee off, without being concious of the possibility that anyone needs to hit a provisional ball. Everyone then stands and waits for Mr. Speedy.

Misogynists

Angle shooters

Whiners

what's an "angle shooter"?

It's a poker term but I thought it was more commonly used in general. I stole this definition from a poker page. The first example in 2bGood's list is an angle shooter.

The act of using various underhanded, unfair methods to take advantage of inexperienced opponents. The difference between an “angle shooter” and a “cheater” is only a matter of degree. What a cheat or thief does is patently against the rules; what an angle shooter does may be marginally legal, but it's neither ethical nor gentlemanly. Nor is it in the spirit of the game. Unfortunately, poker is not a gentleman’s game. In addition to learning how to protect yourself against cheating players, you must learn to watch out for the angle shooters.

And since golf IS a gentleman's game, there is no place for unethical behavior.

I have one playing buddy that I still like but drives me crazy with the following:

Needs everyone still and out of sight lines for every shot (will ask you to move on tee boxes)- moves during everyone else's swings and stands wherever.

Complains about play being slow "guys this is taking forever"- will hit 8 to 10 "extra practice" shots after a bad shot per round.

Hates to hear noises while trying to swing- "WHISPERS SOFTLY WHERE NO ONE CAN HEAR" during others swings.

All that and he's a frozen putter. Gets all into setup after practice strokes, moves over the ball and freezes. No less then 3 seconds before actually making the stroke.

We get more tickled at him than mad :)

Cobra Bio Cell Pro
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3 wood
Mizuno MP-5 irons
Mizuno MP-R 54*, 60*
Odyssey White Ice 1

All that and he's a frozen putter. Gets all into setup after practice strokes, moves over the ball and freezes. No less then 3 seconds before actually making the stroke.

If it wasn't for my last round, I wouldn't know what you meant by "frozen putter". Played with guy just like that a couple days ago. Had to be 5 seconds over the ball frozen. Guy drained everything inside of 25 feet dead center of the cup on crappy greens.

...That guy who waits until the end of a round to let someone know that something they did hole 14 was illegal and now that they've signed their scorecard without adding the penalty strokes, they will be DQ'd from the event.

33-7/9

Competitor Who Knows Player Has Breached Rules Does Not Inform Player or Committee in Timely Manner

The responsibility for knowing the Rules lies with all players. In stroke play, the player and his marker have an explicit responsibility for the correctness of the player's score card.

There may, however, be exceptional individual cases where, in order to protect the interests of every other player in the competition, it would be reasonable to expect a fellow-competitor or another competitor to bring to light a player's breach of the Rules by notifying the player, his marker or the Committee.

In such exceptional circumstances, it would be appropriate for the Committee to impose a penalty of disqualification under Rule 33-7 on a fellow-competitor or another competitor if it becomes apparent that he has failed to advise the player, his marker or the Committee of a Rules breach with the clear intention of allowing that player to return an incorrect score.

We have one of those. Big loudmouth who likes to make light of the fact when you miss a shot when you're his partner. Likes to "coach" you. "Come on man, we really need this one, don't miss!" Giant ego. We are praying he does not win the club championship, we will never heard the end of it, he will probably buy a statue of himself to put by the first tee, though I don't think he has a chance in the end. Has this rigid Happy Gilmore slap-shot type swing that is painful to watch, but somehow he plays to a 5 handicap. If you are playing as a single on the course when it's empty, he'll roll up to you in a cart and just start playing along with you without asking if you mind or not. Also talks constantly including in the middle of other people's swings and putts. The only thing he has going for him is that he is a fairly fast player. People play with him because he plays in one of the main weekend money games but nobody likes it.

Real people...

1. Guy who's perfectly fine to playbwith until he hits his first bad shot of the day. Then proceeds to be miserable and cuss himself out over every shot that isn't perfect the rest of the day. You're afraid to talk for fear that he'll blow a gasket until he makes a birdie. Worst part is he could be a single digit if he could keep his cool.

2. High handicapper who took 20 years off and is golfing again now that he's retired. So afraid of offending any of the "real" golfers in our league he's slow as molasses thinking he's practicing good etiquette by doing nothing until it's his turn to hit. God help you if you let him drive the cart.

3 Guy who has 2-3 blowup holes a round and waits for the other 3 guys to announce their scores on those holes before saying his own. Conveniently he's always one higher than anyone else. He takes a 7 on a par 5 where he took 2 chips 3 putts, and had to punch out of the trees after his drive. At the end of the round, he can't figure out how he shot 3 strokes better than you when it didn't seem like he was playing any better than you.

The Swing Analysis guy. Knows nothing, sounds like Butch Harmon. We have one we call "Bizhub". A new one, and I'm not a Luddite, is Rangefinder Guy. Lasers every shot, even on a course he's played hundreds of time. "huh, I never knew it was 58 yards from here, man, you gotta get one of these" The Way Cool guy. My least favorite, Volcano Guy. You never know when he's going to go off, but it's a matter of when, not if.

For me, it's the guy who doesn't play by the rules (casual round, no money at stake) but then in the clubhouse says "man, I got you by 2 strokes! Maybe next week, bud!" The same guy hits 2 OB and just says "I'll drop up near you", gives himself 5 footers, and will pick up after too many shots. When playing, I appreciate all of that as it keeps the round moving, just shut up about your score!

The guy who won't repair a single pitch mark on a putting green, until:

• It's yours,
  • It's in your line, and
  • He insists on doing a hatchet job to it...

I was serious in the "new rule" thread. Ten stroke penalty for failing to fix a pitch mark, divot, or picking up your feet when you walk.

Also, the guy who drags his size 18s through the bunker, digs to China, then proceeds to give a cursory swipe with a rake before dragging sand on the bottom of his shoes all over the green.

The rules expert who in fact does know the rules.

Sounds like a jerk!

I kid. In reality, the worst rules expert is the one who thinks he knows the rules but doesn't.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Misogynists

Angle shooters

Whiners

what's an "angle shooter"?

It's a poker term but I thought it was more commonly used in general. I stole this definition from a poker page. The first example in 2bGood's list is an angle shooter.

The act of using various underhanded, unfair methods to take advantage of inexperienced opponents. The difference between an “angle shooter” and a “cheater” is only a matter of degree. What a cheat or thief does is patently against the rules; what an angle shooter does may be marginally legal, but it's neither ethical nor gentlemanly. Nor is it in the spirit of the game. Unfortunately, poker is not a gentleman’s game. In addition to learning how to protect yourself against cheating players, you must learn to watch out for the angle shooters.

And since golf IS a gentleman's game, there is no place for unethical behavior.

Angle Shooter perfectly describes a "that guy" at our club, hie is always at all times trying to manipulate the rules to his advantage, half the club won't play with him anymore.

3. Goes out to the 100 yard marker on a hole in the evening and hits wedge shots for 30 minutes creating a crap load of divots in one area

This guy would get an earful at my course (and most courses if anyone running it pays attention). That's brutal.

If we ever caught him in the act he would. Nights it is empty. Yet we still all knows who does it.

The guy who claims he shoots near even par yet with his swing and lack of penalty strokes, still barely sniffs 90.

The guy who says he was a scratch golfer "back in the day" but has the swing of an octopus falling out of a tree.

The guy who steps in front of a birdie or better on the tee box. I'm all for ready golf, but that is one sin I don't commit.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Real players:

• The guy who assumes you don't mind his hitting your ball back at you from any distance on the green around 6 feet and in.
  • The guy who asked you to stay in the cart while he tees off and then leaves when you tell him you prefer he do the same thing.
  • The guy who just definitely drove his ball well into the rough but still goes right to your ball in the fairway, picks it up to see if it is his, and then puts it back down acting surprised.
  • The guy who brings his cell phone with him and leaves the ringer on.
  • The guy who brings his cell phone with him, leaves the ringer on, and answers call(s) which inevitably holds up play.
  • The guy who takes position on an empty range literally right next to you and is hitting right on the border of his area so close to yours that if you bend over to tee up a ball during his swing you might get clocked.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft