Golfers - Aged 50 plus

[quote name='Night train' timestamp='1391711588' post='8610349']
At age 60 I still can't wait to get out there everyday. I have trouble going to sleep the night before just thinking about playing the next day on a course where I've been a member for 35 years.

I never have been able to get enough and winter just makes the fire burn hotter.

This year is going to be even more exciting.............got a new left knee last month and I've quit smoking............FIRED UP
[/quote]

Awesome post, love your enthusiasm. Congratulation on the new knee and quitting smoking. I did that a little over one year ago and I applaude your efforts.

This whole thread is fantastic. I use to really enjoy hanging out with the old guys because of their wit and attitude. Now I are one

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a great game that we can enjoy well into our senior years! Golf addicts me for the perfectly flushed shot but also for the flubbed ones. When I hit it good I want to KEEP hitting it good and when I hit it bad I am compelled to figure out how to hit it good again. When you score well you always know you could have done just a little bit better.

Another 61 Yr. old here. So far I am still in single digits and can whack it out there past most of the regulars I play with. I am lucky to have good golf friends that I can trash talk and brag when their $ are in my pocket. I have one or two even par rounds a season and still hold out hope to score in the 60’s. I have come very close a few times but the clock is ticking.

I also get to play several times a year with one of my sons in law that is better than scratch. I always look forward to those times. With a young grandson and another born yesterday and two more on the way with some luck I will get to play with them in a few years.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1391813298' post='8619047']

What a great game that we can enjoy well into our senior years! Golf addicts me for the perfectly flushed shot but also for the flubbed ones. When I hit it good I want to KEEP hitting it good and when I hit it bad I am compelled to figure out how to hit it good again. When you score well you always know you could have done just a little bit better.

Another 61 Yr. old here. So far I am still in single digits and can whack it out there past most of the regulars I play with. I am lucky to have good golf friends that I can trash talk and brag when their $ are in my pocket. I have one or two even par rounds a season and still hold out hope to score in the 60’s. I have come very close a few times but the clock is ticking.

I also get to play several times a year with one of my sons in law that is better than scratch. I always look forward to those times. With a young grandson and another born yesterday and two more on the way with some luck I will get to play with them in a few years.
[/quote]

And your grand kids will be blessed to play with you! Enjoy.

At age 61, I'm motivated that walking a golf course at a brisk pace is healthy exercise. The last couple years, golf has been hard on my back and shoulders, so I don't know how I will fare in the future. Riding a cart is not pleasant to me.

As far as scores, I know I'll never be really good. I look on golf as pleasant exercise, with occasional great and awful rounds, and everything in between.

I realize that this thread isn't exactly for me because I'm only 43. But I've been playing since I was 8 years old and takinging into account injuries and back surgery....I'm pretty sure my body is over 50 years old.

I still want to beat the kids. Especially the ones I taught in the Junior Golf Clinics at my club. Some of them are in their early 30s now.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

I am a 50 something and have been in the Golf Channel Am Tour for the past 4 years. I love competition and am always trying to improve. I am always trying to get to the next division and win. Was in Sarazen (12-14 hdcp) and won many tournaments, now in Hogan (8-12 hdcp) and trying to win there. I just love the process of learning. Trying to figure out the best way to improve. Love the completion and the comradery. Hanging with a bunch of other golf junkies! Plus we get to play some of the best golf courses made.

67, started when I was 12 or so. Played other sports in high school and baseball in college. No matter, golf was always close by. You want to be with friends or just want to be alone golf course is waiting. I'm semi-retired now. Like some have said, I'm playing as well or even better than ever. Not as long, not that I was ever a 'big hitter.' but have learned how to manage my game, the course and relax while playing. Much more time to practice/work on the game.
Going to give 'play it forward' a shot this year. Move up a set. Hey, if it's to easy (lol) I'll move back. I think the biggest thing for over 50 guys is you know how to take things as they come AND enjoy.

Im 56 and have been playing off and on all my life. Played the Minis for a while in my early 20s and then got in the trucking business. Sold out of the trucking business and got my class A for a while then got out and got into the auto racing business. Got out of that played the minis some more. Moved here and did not play for a couple of years then helped a friend of mine open a golf shop and got back into it. Messed around down here and played the minis some more in the senior division. Now I have quit competition I hit balls to stay in shape and have something to do. Mostly practice my short game because that has always been fun to me. Tinker with clubs quite a bit and then go hit them. I am now old enough that I am eligible for the "super seniors" division on one mini and I am considering getting back into shape and doing a few of them. Lately thanks to you guys on Wrx I have started playing some of my persimmons and classic blades and I am having a hoot. My wife bless her heart plays some and does not mind my playing and club hoeing ways. She says it could be much worse I could still be racing cars or staying in beer joints and chasing loose women

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I am 56 also. I have been playing this Wonder Game of Golf for about 50 years now and I still get motivated. Golf is Great because every course is a different challenge to motivate you. If you get to travel to different places there is usually a Golf Course somewhere close by. It is a wonderful way to spend time outdoors. Hoping the to keep the body fit and able enough to continue till I am 89 like my father ,who still plays the Great Game of Golf!!

TAYLORMADE SLDR JDM 430 10 DEG STIFF DRIVER
TAYLORMADE R9 SUPERDEEP 9.5 DEG STIFF DRIVER
TAYLORMADE R7 3&5 WOODS
MAXFLI BLACK DOT REVOLUTIONS 2-PW,GW,SW,
TAYLORMADE MONZA CORZA
TAYLORMADE BURNER TOUR BALLS

[quote name='richard t' timestamp='1391865120' post='8621989']
67, started when I was 12 or so. Played other sports in high school and baseball in college. No matter, golf was always close by. You want to be with friends or just want to be alone golf course is waiting. I'm semi-retired now. Like some have said, I'm playing as well or even better than ever. Not as long, not that I was ever a 'big hitter.' but have learned how to manage my game, the course and relax while playing. Much more time to practice/work on the game.
Going to give 'play it forward' a shot this year. Move up a set. Hey, if it's to easy (lol) I'll move back. I think the biggest thing for over 50 guys is you know how to take things as they come AND enjoy.
[/quote]

Very similar to my experience - played everything in my youth, baseball in college, introduced to golf by my dad while on vacation at age 12.

Didn't play hardly at all until I entered graduate school, where I replaced baseball with golf.

Now, semi-retired consultant.

Modern equipment now allows me to hit it as long or longer than I did back when I could really move the old balata balls with persimmon.

Still about scratch and love playing and practicing.

Current goal is accumulating as many rounds shooting my age as I can.

As you age, you realize you decline in abilities but fighting like hell to hold on, some accomplished by improvements in short game and putting, which are possible at nearly any age. I still do weight and flexibility training as well.

I still love it!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Wow, so this thread is in the classic golf and golfers section. It's not like we're from the Old Tom Morris or Bobby Jones era. :dntknw::)
Jeeze, I'm only 60. Been playing for 24 years and have maintained a single digit for 20. As I get older and feel more aches and pains, I'm beginning to wonder when the time comes I can't hope to improve will I still want to golf.

I enjoy the exercise, the challenge,the camaraderie but most of all it somehow satisfies the (dare I say) artist in me. The visualization and execution is just like any of the artistic pursuits I've ever worked at.

Golf has become such a great addition to life, can't wait for this winter to end so I can work the rust off.

[quote name='scotee' timestamp='1391922233' post='8627453']

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good general golf topic. They shuffled us off to the “classic” i.e. old, vintage, antique forum. Good topic but it would have died in obscurity if it had started over here.
[/quote]

Agree completely. Thought it was pretty lame shuffling this topic off to the "classic" golfer forum, whatever that's suppose to mean. I'm curious how old the mod is who made this decision? Can we take this matter to arbitration? I'm sure as hell not a "classic" anything, I'm a veteran young guy!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I just turned 50 this January. Definitely one of life's major milestones and time to take stock and appreciate what one has in life!

So what are my goals in golf? As a general aim it's obviously to improve and keep fit enough to enjoy this great game but some specifics are

1) To try and get closer to scratch and stay there!
2) To be more competitive in our Club Championship in the next 5 years before I am old enough to play in Senior events
3) To play as many great new golf courses as I can.

BUT the main and by far most important goal is to play with and encourage the development of my son. He is 10 now and already quite the accomplished player and winner of many tournaments. More importantly he is a great kid, very polite, respectful and mixes well with the other adult members at our club. The time we have together on the course or practicing on the range is so special and enjoyable. If I had only one golf wish it would be that he keeps his total love and enthusiasm for the game. I need to do whatever I can to preserve and nurture that as he moves towards his teenage years. I look forward to the day he beats me straight up off of the same tees. The way he is developing it's probably only a few years away now :)

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

[quote name='Fellaheen51' timestamp='1391945331' post='8628171']

Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good general golf topic. They shuffled us off to the "classic" i.e. old, vintage, antique forum. Good topic but it would have died in obscurity if it had started over here.
[/quote]

Agree completely. Thought it was pretty lame shuffling this topic off to the "classic" golfer forum, whatever that's suppose to mean. I'm curious how old the mod is who made this decision? Can we take this matter to arbitration? I'm sure as hell not a "classic" anything, I'm a veteran young guy!
[/quote]

I agree, it's lame. Should stay in General Golf talk.

Perhaps, some young mod who did this move has many bad memories of some young veteran beating him on the course? :pimp:

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 Tour 15*

SIM2 Max 21* Diamana 75-S

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey White Ice DART 46"

I'll turn 70 this year, first played golf when I was 53, and currently play 75+ rounds per year.. I have numerous motivations, including but not limited to:

1. Beating my young friends (i.e., guys age 45 to 60).

2. Attempting to lower my handicap each year--currently a 15, my lowest since I started.

3. Attempting to play at least once every month of the year at my home course, which may not sound like much, but my home course is in northcentral Pennsylvania. December, January, and February rounds can be a challenge. I met this goal in 2013, 2011, and once before, but this year is a no go with snow and ridiculously cold whether in January and so far this month. But if there is no (or scant) snow on the course and the temperature is above 32, I'll be out there to get the monthly round in.

4. Some day shooting my age, which of course means that I will need to playing into my 90s. I have played in a "retirees league" the last two years, and am encouraged by the many guys in their 80s, and a few in their 90s, still swinging. The father of a friend of mine died this year at 97, the day after playing a round and shooting 95.

@ age 58, the love of the game keeps me motivated.
Beautiful scenery
Competitive spirit
Group of friends about the same HC as me
With golf being a difficult game, accomplishments are very rewarding
Traveling to new golf courses
Buying new golf accessories and clubs
Talking golf strategy with friends
Sticking par 3's
Sticking 2nd shot on par 4's (I use to occasionally drive shot par 4's, but those days are gone)
Sticking 3rd shot on par 5's (there was a day when I could stick the 2nd shot on par 5's, but they are gone)
Getting birdies
Making long putts
etc
etc
etc

[quote name='That Bob Guy' timestamp='1391774898' post='8614899']
[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1391757466' post='8614639']
I'll be 60 next month. I too had a heart attack in December and now have two stents. Im a competitive person and always have been. I played softball at a high level for 30 years. I quit at 50 because I didn't want to be what I call a hanger on. Meaning playing beyond your abilities. I quit on top and walked away. I still had teams of young guys calling me wanting me play turnaments with them which made me fell good but I declined. I bowled for many years and carried over a 200 average. Anything I do I put everything into it to be good as I can be. I played golf when I had time and actually ran a couse for 6 years.

Which brings us to today. Every Tuesday at my club I play a 4 ball match play with 3 other guys much younger then me. Guys I work with. I work my butt off to keep in shape and keep up with these guys. On occasion my partner whos 25 will out drive me but not always. Maybe a quarter of the time but I hit it a lot straighter then he does. I built this garage setup 1 1/2 years ago to work on my game. I hit 50-100 balls every day all winter long trying to keep in shape for when the snow finally melts.

When spring comes I dont want to be fooling around on the range. When the course opens Im ready to tee it up and start the season.

Yes, Im 60 years old.....SO WHAT.
[/quote]

I like your setup! Perhaps when you get a few minutes, you can give me the sizes of hitting area. I want to put one down in my cave. And where you got your net. Thanks! Is that a concrete floor?
[/quote]

Yes the floor is concrete. Before I built the net I carpeted that area so I could have a place to roll some putts. Sorry it took so long to respond. Here's a link to a thread giving all the details from start to finish. How it was built and where to get everything including the net. If I can be of any further help just shoot a PM.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/719611-man-cavedriving-range/page__st__120__p__8383427__hl__+man%20+cave#entry8383427"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/719611-man-cavedriving-range/page__st__120__p__8383427__hl__+man%20+cave#entry8383427[/url]

Handicap 7.7

[quote name='br61' timestamp='1391950338' post='8628303']
Yeah, I thought it was a pretty good general golf topic. They shuffled us off to the "classic" i.e. old, vintage, antique forum. Good topic but it would have died in obscurity if it had started over here.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps, some young mod who did this move has many bad memories of some young veteran beating him on the course? :pimp:
[/quote]

I'm the youngest mod and moved it back to General Golf Talk. I didn't move it to "Classic" and don't appreciate the assumption. During my teenage years I often got to the course at 6:00am on weekends and played as a single with 3 old vets in the first group. I'd wow them with my length and scores in the mid 70's playing from the tips, they'd tell me stories and make me laugh. Great memories to say the least. We have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to attacking mods, directly or passive aggressively.

Turning 56 this year. Let's say I "pretend" to be a golfer. My game has always been limited by finances, moves, a large family, and for the last 11 years, caring for our 11 year old daughter who is the survivor of a twin-to-twin transfusing pregnancy. Our daughter has probably the most severe form of cerebral palsy (level 5; level 6 is comatose). She needs constant care. I've been off-work going into my 9th year. We just spent 20 days in hospital over Christmas because she contracted pneumonia and a number of other issues. Currently we're working diligently to get her back to the point where she can begin school again and we can resume another attempt at "normalcy". While in intensive care in the hospital, the staff constantly made comments about how lovely our daughter looked, how healthy she was and how quickly she recovered after almost dying. She hadn't seen a hospital for 6 years before this episode, a remarkable thing considering our daughter's disability. We've basically burned ourselves out getting her to a level of health where she could actually begin going to school two years ago. The principal at the school calls her our "gifted child". Just about broke down when I heard that. She's just loved by all the kids and staff. There are some really amazing human beings out there.

As some of you may be aware, if you know families with handicapped kids, the accompanying stress often leads to marriage breakdown (over 80%). I am all too aware of this, so my personal priorities have changed of late, in order that I can rescue what is left of my former life. I've been able to tick off most of the boxes which describe someone who's severely depressed. It's a very surreal experience. One begins a marriage, a life together, in which you have certain plans and expectations. You have success, failures, realized and missed opportunities. In the great scheme of things, whatever that is, golf is such a superficial thing to me now. I continue to watch highlights of tournaments, but there's little to get excited about. The only thing which I truly find meaningful now is my family and my relationships with my wife and my kids. I tend to think in terms of my senior years, not too far away, and what I will be doing once I reach that "retirement" age. I see guys out there who are looking at retirement; for me, it's all about starting over and what I will do for the next 10 years. I know 10 years is a long time. I can still accomplish much, but I'm not blind to the fact that I'm not 45 either. But I digress.

The WRX has been one of my distractions, if you will, and this particular forum has fueled my love of the game, especially picking up, when I can, some forged blades and persimmon woods. I fear however, that golf is beginning to mean less and less to me all the time. I've played about 5 rounds since 2009, the last time I had a 9 hole membership and played about 25 rounds. Before that I basically put golf on hold for almost 15 years. I have a practice net and hitting mat which I've put out in my yard the last 6 years. That's been a form of re-creation for me. Last summer, I decided to make a green in my yard as well and hit wedge shots pretty well every day (I'd put up some photos but am no longer a full member here). That was fun. I hope to do it again this year, if I can put aside the time. I'd love to be able to play golf regularly; it's always been a dream I've had, but just a dream. I think I could be a scratch player, but that takes work and time, which I don't have. Again, it's been so enjoyable seeing everyone's clubs here; some of the persimmon eye-candy has been just amazing. I so appreciate everyone's efforts here to be cordial and helpful. Thanks especially to those of you who have had personal correspondence with me. As with golf, I'll likely be involved less with the WRX as well, trying to make personal repairs and future plans. Cheers!

I'll be 63 in March. I feel like I'm going to be a young 63. It's kind of funny because my generation is pretty different than say my previous generation. I just want to stay active and stay young. I was recently telling some young people in our choir at church that when I was a teenager, I was in rock bands when I was their age. When I was their age, 62 year olds couldn't say that. My wife and I are still very active, and have no plans to retire until we're in our 70's. We just love life and love being involved.

As for golf, I've played since I was 14. I posted in other posts that I recently joined our local 'Y' (where my wife works) and hired a personal trainer to work out specifically for golf, and related muscles, particularly my core. At 62, I want to be in the best shape I can possibly be in. I won some of the long drive contests last year in our league, and I want to do that again this year. Frankly I got a kick out of you using the age of 50 in your post, but I understand it... 50, wow, those kids should be really kickin' it up a notch!

I turned 63 yesterday. Started golf at the age of 27, but had to stop for many years mostly back issues, partly finances. Retired in 2008, bought some clubs and not long after stumbled into a weekly seniors group. 100 members and some playing on a wait list. We usually get 16-20 foursomes out each week in season. There are some other organized and other just friendly rounds some of the guys get into.

I had good timing on the wait list and was accepted as a member fairly soon after. These guys are amazing- as of last year I was barely the second- youngest (!) with the average age about 74. Every year there are at least a few guys who shoot their age. We just accepted a guy who has been a playing member on the waiting list who is 94 (maybe he is 95 now) and he is one of the nicest and funniest storytellers you will ever meet, and can hold his own on the course.

It really has changed my life and my budget lol. I dream it like some others have stated. And my wife has started playing so trips are planned around golf, whether by road trip or what has started to be an annual Maui vacation. Of course we have both developed new friendships through golf too. Truly the game for a lifetime.

Most of our guys walk and pace of play is a big issue for us, with around 4:15 or a bit less the standard. Preferred lies and drop with 2 strokes for lost ball have been adopted as strictly pace of play issues. Not trying to get into a Rules discussion here, just a comment what was adopted long before I ever joined.

GolfWrx was helpful to me before I ever signed up after I started playing again. I'm still learning from the posts, and from the mutual sharing of ideas and perspectives.

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1391980453' post='8630957']
[quote name='br61' timestamp='1391950338' post='8628303']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm the youngest mod and moved it back to General Golf Talk. I didn't move it to "Classic" and don't appreciate the assumption. During my teenage years I often got to the course at 6:00am on weekends and played as a single with 3 old vets in the first group. I'd wow them with my length and scores in the mid 70's playing from the tips, they'd tell me stories and make me laugh. Great memories to say the least. We have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to attacking mods, directly or passive aggressively.
[/quote]

Notice the emoticon? It was a tongue in cheek comment and just joking. Not attacking anyone on purpose at all and sorry if I made you think so.

I guess it didn't come out good as I thought. Sorry!!!

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 Tour 15*

SIM2 Max 21* Diamana 75-S

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey White Ice DART 46"

55+ I think it is still fun to hit the ball out there with them or be hitting less club from the same location when you have that younger generation out there. But then again, most I play with are older than me so they all chase me, the old fat guy.

What is sad for me to see are guys that used to be the best players out there for years start to loose distance and the ability to adjust to the change. I mean guys that were shooting 75 or better every time they hit the course. Now are shooting upper 80s and peeking into the 90's.

I don't think I would want to still play if I found myself in that position.

Callaway XR 9.5 degree
Callaway X Hot 15 degrees
NIKE VR 21 degree hybrid
Callaway Razr Tour Irons
50 degree Volkey
[url="Seemore%20Putter"]WITB Link[/url]
58 degree cleveland
52 degree Sixron

[quote name='Ballgofarboy' timestamp='1391995128' post='8632799']
55+ I think it is still fun to hit the ball out there with them or be hitting less club from the same location when you have that younger generation out there. But then again, most I play with are older than me so they all chase me, the old fat guy.

What is sad for me to see are guys that used to be the best players out there for years start to loose distance and the ability to adjust to the change. I mean guys that were shooting 75 or better every time they hit the course. Now are shooting upper 80s and peeking into the 90's.

[/quote]Everybody loses distance, flexibility, and score as they get older. Believe it or not, golf is still a fun game even though your scores go up. In fact, it may be more fun and relaxing as a golfer focuses more on friendships and just getting out there. 99.99% of golfers will never make a living with their scores!

[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1391996096' post='8632947']
[quote name='Ballgofarboy' timestamp='1391995128' post='8632799']

[/quote]Everybody loses distance, flexibility, and score as they get older. Believe it or not, golf is still a fun game even though your scores go up. In fact, it may be more fun and relaxing as a golfer focuses more on friendships and just getting out there. 99.99% of golfers will never make a living with their scores!
[/quote]

Hey Tom...don't believe the losing distance and flexibility myth. With exercise and stretching you can maintain and even improve both.

The gentleman who won our city senior championship this year is 75, was consistently over 260 off the tee and in great condition. He shot 73-72 from
6,500 yards. After the first round he went and hit balls for an hour because he missed a couple of fairways.