2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Golfers - Aged 50 plus

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have played on the Golf Channel AM Tour almost 3 years. I've always been competitive in just about everything. Seeing results after practice has been the best motivation for me. Gave up league pool because I didn't want to put in the time to be a good player. Gave up league bowling with a 205 average because it got boring. Something about golf keeps me coming back no matter how I play. 53 years young and always looking to hit a better shot. New goal this year is to finish a marathon.

^^^^ Just remember, the 20 mile mark is half way : ) I've only done 2 marathons but they were on the same days as the 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, then the marathon!! Never done a stand alone marathon. Good luck.

At the age of 58 I love to practice, because that allows me to play well on the course. I also enjoy walking the course and being outside. On the other hand I spoke with a guy (60's something) yesterday that said he may give up the game because it's no longer enjoyable for him. Just doesn't like it anymore. I did the same with triathlons.....after 22 years of racing I gave it all up 2 years ago. Haven't been on my bike in nearly 2 years. It got old...wasn't having fun training anymore, so I retired from racing and training tri's. You just need to be honest with yourself.

No one here can tell you how to enjoy golf or be motivated to play the game. If you need to ask how to motivate yourself to play golf.....you need to be serious about whether you [b]enjoy [/b]the game anymore.

I'll be 58 this month. Play in a league that includes 20 somethings all the way up to 70 somethings. I'll get a few long drives this year, as always. In our outing last year I got a long drive prize. I love smokin it past the young bucks who think they have a chance. That plus the everlasting dream of reaching single digit handicap, which I believe I will do this coming season. I keep my youthful vigor by regular trips to the gym and lots of stretching.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"

At 61, my game is more consistent than its ever been. I think my way around the course much better than I ever have.My motivation is playing good "for me" I'm still competitive and taking a few bucks off my buddies is good enough for me.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I have only been playing about 13 years now, which is not long for a 56 year old. It is easy for me to stay motivated because I love everything about the game.

I take lessons and practice 2-3 times a week to enable myself to improve. League play has been a good kick in the fannie. Much different than playing casualy with friends.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

I'll be 52 this year, and my play has gone down hill a little the past 2 seasons for 3 reasons - work hours, some back pain issues, and from the fact that I was no longer competing at the bigger state tournaments. In my state, all of the state senior amateur tournaments age requirement is 55. So I am in kind of in a no mans land right now for tournaments to look forward to - those that really provide incentive to get my game in shape. For years I played in a few tournaments each year, and always tried to squeeze one July tournament (state open or state am) in the mix. This usually put my game into a good position for club and state tournaments in Aug & Sept. Like my CC, and the state four-ball in Aug and others in Sept. I have checked the schedules, and there is nothing that really fits my game for this coming June or July. So my motivation/stimulus is going to have to come from within if I am to get back down to the plus handicap territory. I will have to play way more than I have the past 2 seasons in which my rounds were basically cut from around 70-80 to 30 posted scores. And I will have to practice a lot as well. I am currently trying to get the body in shape by weight training and stretching almost everyday. As RR said in the other thread, as you get older the improvement part is difficult and, basically, you do all this just to maintain. The scoring based goal for this year is to get the average score down and the Index down into the plus zone again.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

I'm 53, and I honestly feel as good (or better) than I did 10-15 years ago. I have a little more time for golf and practice now, as opposed to in my 30s and 40s, and I'm motivated to get better. I didn't play hardly at all from my mid 40s to 2012 due to business and family. I feel with the new clubs and balls, I should be able to make some strides. I started last summer as a 22, then started taking lessons regularly, and practicing. I'm definitely getting better--my pro at my club says looking at my swing, he would estimate me to be an 8-10. My motivation is to get out there (darn weather) and make this happen on the course.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

At 66 years old, golf is an internal battle. It is a competition with myself. Tournament play never has been a measure in my 50 years of golfing. A well-struck shot is a win, a poorly hit shot is a loss. While my shots are not graphed or put on a spreadsheet the round is evaluated based on that measure.

When reviewing, the number of lost shots that could have been saved (penalties, mishits, flubbed chips, 3 putts, and the like) are considered. In each new round the goal is to reduce those errors. Sometimes it happens, sometimes not.

But since what COULD be is known then that is the target. It is my source of motivation. Every time I step on the first tee my attitude is, "This is THE day".

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

For anyone who has a competitive nature, that's our motivation to do the best we can in golf (or any sport). I didn't start playing golf till I was 52, it was hard work getting even "decent". I still strive to be better, that's why I practice so much & work out so much to stay In shape & flexible. Motivation has nothing to do with age. I know some folks who love playing golf & have played the game for decades, & they don't care that they've never broken a hundred. Me....I couldn't handle that & I knew it before I even had my first lesson.

At age 60 I still can't wait to get out there everyday. I have trouble going to sleep the night before just thinking about playing the next day on a course where I've been a member for 35 years.

I never have been able to get enough and winter just makes the fire burn hotter.

This year is going to be even more exciting.............got a new left knee last month and I've quit smoking............FIRED UP

I started playing at age 40 and am presently 62. For a variety of reasons I have never played more than 30-35 rounds/season and currently play less. I am a high handicapper and have never been close to the single digits. However, between the advances in club and ball technology, I believe that my best golf is ahead of me. I have given up my long and mid irons for hybrids, and with the 460CC Ping I am almost as long as I was 15 years ago with the original Big Bertha, and when I work on it my short game can be very good.

With retirement and hopefully continued health and more time in a few years I am quite positive. Single digit? No, but low double digits are in my future.

Did I also mention that I enjoy the hell out of being out and playing 18?

I am 52 and the burning desire to reach scratch handicap is what motivates me. I have been a fairly decent player, ranging in the mid single digits for several years, but I knew that it was mainly due to my short game, putting and imagination on trouble shots. So, for the past nine months I have taken probably 18 lessons and have practiced my butt off at the golfTEC video practice bay at our local Golfsmith. I have totally re-vamped my swing and am simply amazed at what a competent PGA pro and some hard work can accomplish. I can hardly wait for springtime and warm weather so that I can get some consistent play in. I really think (hope, pray) this will be the year.

Honestly, I think I am one of those people who are obsessed with the game. I love everything about it. Enjoying the outdoors, the exercise (I walk), the camaraderie, the challenge, the history and traditions, the future - all of it. Thankfully, I have a very understanding wife who tolerates my addiction. She's just glad I'm not obsessed with anything expensive, LOL.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

I am 52 and because of equipment improvements, getting fitted, and lots of practice am striking the ball really well. For the first time ever I have joined some leagues and am playing in league tourneys. For me golf has always been an incredible escape from my hectic and oft-times stressful lifestyle. Because it is NEVER the same game twice it completely keeps my interest. There are so many factors physiologically, psychologically, and that pertain to the course that effect the final results.

And I honestly LOVE practicing now too.

Nothing better than pulling into the parking lot of your favorite course, seeing an almost empty lot, hitting some range balls to warm up, and then going out and playing at your own pace because you are pretty much the only person on the whole course. Awesome....

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='kev633' timestamp='1391687616' post='8608381']
motivation is to beat the young guns , can't believe the look on there faces after giving them a walloping lol , gee that old bastxxx can still play
[/quote]

I'll be 53 next month and you got that right, some younger kids around here hates that they still can't beat me in match play or tournaments. I have no idea of exactly how many club championships I've won(around 20 or so) but seriously, I still love competing against young pups as it gives me motivation to play harder.

But it's getting harder to get loose before I play or just getting out of bed though.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

Tour Exotics EXS 16.5 FW & 20 Hybrid

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey Ai-One #7 Broomstick 46"

I had my stint playing competitive golf. Now I look forward to teaching my grand children this game that so many love. If you think of how many professional athletes play this game aside from the one they make a living at, that's how addicting it is. By the way that will be my first student in my icon.

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

i am 61 been playing most of my life played in high school and some college.
i did not play for 15 yrs been back at it for 7 yrs now i still love to play in tournaments and putting it on the young ones.
one thing i learned when i was young was to practice my short game i still can enjoy doing it now at my age.
im still very competitive it keeps me young.

The only difference between the younger guys I play with, is I look healthier, hit better, and score better. I think its the 2 heart attacks that I have had that make appreciate it more.

Cleveland DST 9.0 vSL Stiff
Cleveland DST 3W vSL Stiff
4,5 Cleveland HYB vSL Stiff
Cleveland CG7 Black Pearl's
Scotty Cameron Newport 1996
Srixon Z Star

I'll be 60 next month. I too had a heart attack in December and now have two stents. Im a competitive person and always have been. I played softball at a high level for 30 years. I quit at 50 because I didn't want to be what I call a hanger on. Meaning playing beyond your abilities. I quit on top and walked away. I still had teams of young guys calling me wanting me play turnaments with them which made me fell good but I declined. I bowled for many years and carried over a 200 average. Anything I do I put everything into it to be good as I can be. I played golf when I had time and actually ran a couse for 6 years.

Which brings us to today. Every Tuesday at my club I play a 4 ball match play with 3 other guys much younger then me. Guys I work with. I work my butt off to keep in shape and keep up with these guys. On occasion my partner whos 25 will out drive me but not always. Maybe a quarter of the time but I hit it a lot straighter then he does. I built this garage setup 1 1/2 years ago to work on my game. I hit 50-100 balls every day all winter long trying to keep in shape for when the snow finally melts.

When spring comes I dont want to be fooling around on the range. When the course opens Im ready to tee it up and start the season.

Yes, Im 60 years old.....SO WHAT.

Handicap 7.7

I qualify to post ITT (50 + 12). What keeps me motivated? Simple, enjoy being outside with good friends, the wife, family, whomever trying to play the best that I can. The once a week league supplies the competitive aspect, but competition has never been a critical component of "why". The wife took up the game about 6 years ago (with a passion) so we enjoy a quick 9 on Sunday afternoon's together at the local course. Some may say they prefer not to play with the Mrs. Not so for me, she is by partner in life and we look forward to our golf times together (even when there are the usual husband/wife course arguments if you know what I mean).

It helped to come to the conclusion that I simply cannot hit the ball as far as I did 10 years ago. I'm kinda a big guy (6'2", about 230) and my ego told me to swing away to attempt to keep the distance. The realization that its not happening, made be a better golfer by tempoing my swing, keeping the ball under control and thinking the course better. Because of this, my practice has reempahsized the importance of the short game, where muscle and distance is not a factor. For whatever stupid reason, did not focus on this 10 years ago. With age comes wisdom, I guess.

Bottom line, nice summer day, good company, patch of green grass in front me, maybe a cold one to sip on, club in my hand...........who needs motivation!

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I'm well past 50 and look forward to each and every round.
Then motivation for me is to keep getting better. I don't have a handicap goal- just better than I was last week/last year.
I play quite a few tournaments and the only competition I face is me.

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

[quote name='butch33611' timestamp='1391757466' post='8614639']
I'll be 60 next month. I too had a heart attack in December and now have two stents. Im a competitive person and always have been. I played softball at a high level for 30 years. I quit at 50 because I didn't want to be what I call a hanger on. Meaning playing beyond your abilities. I quit on top and walked away. I still had teams of young guys calling me wanting me play turnaments with them which made me fell good but I declined. I bowled for many years and carried over a 200 average. Anything I do I put everything into it to be good as I can be. I played golf when I had time and actually ran a couse for 6 years.

Which brings us to today. Every Tuesday at my club I play a 4 ball match play with 3 other guys much younger then me. Guys I work with. I work my butt off to keep in shape and keep up with these guys. On occasion my partner whos 25 will out drive me but not always. Maybe a quarter of the time but I hit it a lot straighter then he does. I built this garage setup 1 1/2 years ago to work on my game. I hit 50-100 balls every day all winter long trying to keep in shape for when the snow finally melts.

When spring comes I dont want to be fooling around on the range. When the course opens Im ready to tee it up and start the season.

Yes, Im 60 years old.....SO WHAT.
[/quote]

I like your setup! Perhaps when you get a few minutes, you can give me the sizes of hitting area. I want to put one down in my cave. And where you got your net. Thanks! Is that a concrete floor?