2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos Γ—

Titleist's new 915D2 and 915D3 Drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1403616462' post='9565393']
[quote name='CMBaviator_FR' timestamp='1403615779' post='9565293']
[quote]It makes me laugh when I see a guy with an 80 mph swing speed pop his SLDR down the fairway 170 yards... Coulda got more carry with more spin, but the commercials forget to mention that[/quote]

Well I assume he didn't get fitted or was badly advised
[/quote]
SLDR is probably the easiest $399 any store will ever make.
[/quote]

Hard to argue that... He was poorly advised by TM directly. The Golf shop isn't going to see a 50 year old man walk in, walk straight over to the rack, grab a stiff flex driver and proceed to the register then have the audacity to stop him and tell him it isn't right for him. They see a guy spending $400, they see a kickback from TM, and a likely future customer when the guy trades that driver in for a huge loss in a few months.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w: Β Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='prhiam' timestamp='1403616258' post='9565365']
[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1403591147' post='9564251']
[quote name='Stetson' timestamp='1403579371' post='9563505']
[quote name='Rdjr' timestamp='1403576818' post='9563165']
I guess refinement not innovation is the moral.
[/quote]

Max Cor has been achieved for nearly a decade, so innovation is a product of marketing, not actual improvement. Titleist is listed as the most accurate and forgiving driver in nearly all comparisons and reviews I see. So if it is the most forgiving and accurate, and by rule it isn't allowed to be any more explosive, how can you innovate? Refinement is a superior long term strategy.
[/quote]

To answer your question. You can innovate by taking what Titleist has created, which is a high moi spin machine and create a better launching club. Titleist is also the highest launching and highest spinning and also one of the shortest drivers in testing. More launch + more spin = accurate, forgiving and short. This all has to do with their CG placement being so far back from the face. As soon as Titleist gets on the low and forward CG wagon, which sounds like the 917 or 919 line they will have a winner. The only path to more distance is launch it higher with less spin. They will get it soon enough...4-5 years after TaylorMade gives them the blueprint...

Innovation does not need to be max Cor. Innovation is doing things differently to achieve better results. Could you imagine what Nick Watney could do with a SLDR...if he scrubbed 800 Rpms of spin he would hit it 30-40 yards further with the same swing. Instead he averages under 300 yards with ball speeds in the 170's. Pretty sad.
[/quote]

Reading what the tour pros were saying is that the 915 drivers were launching higher and spinning less. I for one think this was possibly exactly the driver they needed to release.
[/quote]

I agree that a higher launching and lower spinning head was necessary, I just hope that they allow a variance between the characteristics of the D2 and D3. In my opinion that was the only mistake they made with the last lineup, they shouldn't have been targeted launch and spin so similarly. Titleist is kind of unique because they don't force their players into the newest and greatest driver, they are perfectly fine letting them play the previous version while they work to get the perfect fit in the new model. Some companies pay better than Titleist, but they also require quicker switches to the new club. I'd like the D2 and D3 to both launch higher then current models, with the D3 spinning less while the D2 has a higher MOI and spin rate

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w: Β Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

[quote name='CMBaviator_FR' timestamp='1403617462' post='9565515']
After reading the previous posts, it seems like you guys are telling that the 910 drivers were a hight spin driver, is that right ? With my 910 D3 when well struck, I have a very high launch with quite low spin
[/quote]
We're being sarcastic. The SLDR zealots think everything is high spinning garbage that will give you 4000 rpm even on a center strike.

The 910D3 was and still is a great, low spinning driver.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange
Β 

This is the most hate I have ever seen a Titleist club get on release. Without even knowing any specifics we have people calling it a "copy" and I guess everyone has hit it so they know it will be "high spin" with their negative AoA.

If you guys think Titleist drivers are High Spin you need to take a few lessons, get fit and start hitting the ball in the middle of the face. I have never seen my spin rate go over 2800 with my D3 and that was without a properly fit shafts. Now I never zee it above 2600 unless I miss one.

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='oneaugusta' timestamp='1403602976' post='9564509']
[quote name='tommy89' timestamp='1403596986' post='9564403']
So after all the Titleist fan boys laughing at speed slots etc by taylormade they've gone and copied it.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:
[/quote]Actually Nike was first DUUUUUH! And the slider deal was Mizuno hahhahaha.
[/quote]

Actually, you're right. It looks exactly the same as a VR pro LE!! #lawsuit?

Cobra Amp Cell Pro
Titleist 913f
Mizuno MP54
Vokey 52/56
Odyssey #7 MXM Versa
WITB Link

[quote name='tommy89' timestamp='1403620868' post='9565931']
[quote name='oneaugusta' timestamp='1403602976' post='9564509']
[quote name='tommy89' timestamp='1403596986' post='9564403']
So after all the Titleist fan boys laughing at speed slots etc by taylormade they've gone and copied it.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:
[/quote]Actually Nike was first DUUUUUH! And the slider deal was Mizuno hahhahaha.
[/quote]

Actually, you're right. It looks exactly the same as a VR pro LE!! #lawsuit?
[/quote]

LOL

Titleist fan boys please eat your feet for ragging on the slots in other clubs and being so above it with your golf purity.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1403591147' post='9564251'][quote name='Stetson' timestamp='1403579371' post='9563505']
[quote name='Rdjr' timestamp='1403576818' post='9563165']
I guess refinement not innovation is the moral.
[/quote]

Max Cor has been achieved for nearly a decade, so innovation is a product of marketing, not actual improvement. Titleist is listed as the most accurate and forgiving driver in nearly all comparisons and reviews I see. So if it is the most forgiving and accurate, and by rule it isn't allowed to be any more explosive, how can you innovate? Refinement is a superior long term strategy.
[/quote]

To answer your question. You can innovate by taking what Titleist has created, which is a high moi spin machine and create a better launching club. Titleist is also the highest launching and highest spinning and also one of the shortest drivers in testing. More launch + more spin = accurate, forgiving and short. This all has to do with their CG placement being so far back from the face. As soon as Titleist gets on the low and forward CG wagon, which sounds like the 917 or 919 line they will have a winner. The only path to more distance is launch it higher with less spin. They will get it soon enough...4-5 years after TaylorMade gives them the blueprint...

Innovation does not need to be max Cor. Innovation is doing things differently to achieve better results. Could you imagine what Nick Watney could do with a SLDR...if he scrubbed 800 Rpms of spin he would hit it 30-40 yards further with the same swing. Instead he averages under 300 yards with ball speeds in the 170's. Pretty sad.[/quote]

What testing are you referring to? I would love to see it!

913D3 8.5* - Elements Chrome 7F5T
BioCell+ 14.5* - VTS Silver TourSPX 8SX
913Hd 18* - KBS Tour X
J40CB 3-P - DG Tour Issue X100
SM5 52F and 58K -DG Tour Issue S400
SC Monterey 1.5 - Blacked Out Pistolero
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1150133-jjensen-a-fresh-start-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

The 915D3 looks to be perfect (to my eye) looking from an address position, can't wait to see it and hit it. Not a Titleist guy at all but love their classic looks and shape.

Titleist TSR3 Tensei 1k white
Callaway GBB Denali blackΒ 

Callaway UW Denali blueΒ 

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Tour AD DI
Mizuno Pro 245 5-GW PX IO
Titleist SM9 52f, 58m PX LZ

Scotty MOTO Fastback 1.5Β 

Β 

The more I look at it the more Iike. I'm glad they got rid of the red/white stripes and kept it clean with black/white. I'm also excited to hear that the 915s are higher launch/lower spin. I'm one of those who benefit from that combo so it sounds perfect.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

The hate on the 915 for "using old tech" is weak and really not even possible at this point given we have no numbers on its performance. Titleist's MO is that they, for the most part, make no-fuss, classic clubs without any of the "flavor of the month" tech which may or may not even improve performance. I don't want every driver on the rack to have movable weights, crown designs for alignment, etc. Simple and classic design with great performance is where Titleist shines and hopefully the 915 is no different.

You'd think it was a political discussion around here with all the manufacturer loyalty lines being drawn. Some like the driver, some hate Titleist and think the driver is outdated. What's great is all of this is pure speculation except for a small handful. Here's a novel idea to the haters, DON'T BUY IT. That's why there are different clubs. Some think the SLDR is the greatest thing since sliced bread and others don't. I'll admit it was longer for me than my current 913 but 10 yards longer in the woods versus 10 yards shorter in the fairway seemed like a no brainer.

I will reserve judgement on the 915 until I hit the club instead of saying it's junk based on a picture.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Diamana DF 60X
Titleist TS3 15* w/ Diamana ZF 70X
Titleist 913h 19* w/ Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist T100s 4-P w/ C-Taper Lite X
Titleist Vokey Raw 48, 54, 60 w/ S400
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat

[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1403622486' post='9566167']
The more I look at it the more Iike. I'm glad they got rid of the red/white stripes and kept it clean with black/white. I[b]'m also excited to hear that the 915s are higher launch/lower spin. I'm one of those who benefit from that combo so it sounds perfect.[/b]
[/quote]

I think everyone benefits from that combo, hence why so many manufacturers are doing it.

Remember, loft is your friend.

[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1403622914' post='9566227']
Wow! There are a lot of whiney, butt hurt, Titleist haters in this thread.
[/quote]

There are also quite a few whiney, butt hurt, Titleist fanboys. Not you.... Others that are taking their defense a little too serious by basically insulting anyone's swing that spins a D3.

[quote name='Titleistfann' timestamp='1403623601' post='9566313']
[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1403622486' post='9566167']
The more I look at it the more Iike. I'm glad they got rid of the red/white stripes and kept it clean with black/white. I[b]'m also excited to hear that the 915s are higher launch/lower spin. I'm one of those who benefit from that combo so it sounds perfect.[/b]
[/quote]

I think everyone benefits from that combo, hence why so many manufacturers are doing it.

Remember, loft is your friend.
[/quote]

Why is the stated loft on the bottom of a club your friend?

GolfWRX forums are becoming almost unreadable. I might be sticking to the editorial pieces from now on :rolleyes:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Robert.Middleton' timestamp='1403625822' post='9566611']
Does anyone know when they are likely to be released?
[/quote]

November

10.5* (@ 9*) Stealth+ w/ Diamana ZF 60s - 44.75"
16* (@ 15.6*) Tour Issue SLDR Mini w/ Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7s - 42.5"Β 
18* Tour Issue Stealth w/ Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s - 41.75"
ZX7 4-pw w/ Modus 120s
SM9 50 08F w/ Modus 120s

SM9 55 13D w/ Modus 120s
33" Piretti Cottonwood 2

TP5x

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1403624297' post='9566405']
[/quote]

There are also quite a few whiney, butt hurt, Titleist fanboys. Not you.... Others that are taking their defense a little too serious by basically insulting anyone's swing that spins a D3.
[/quote]

The SLDR zealots constant preaching is growing tiresome and I'm not talking about just in this thread either.

[quote name='Arafel' timestamp='1403627026' post='9566763']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1403624297' post='9566405']
[/quote]

[/quote]

The SLDR zealots constant preaching is growing tiresome and I'm not talking about just in this thread either.
[/quote]

Besides the photos on page 1... That word is the best part of this thread.

[b] zealΒ·ot[/b]

[color=#000000][size=3][background=rgb(232, 236, 245)] [/background][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3][i]noun[/i][/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3][background=rgb(232, 236, 245)] [/background][/size][/color][color=#717274][size=3]\ˈze-lΙ™t\[/size][/color][color=#000000][size=3]

: a person who has very strong feelings about something (such as religion or politics) and who wants other people to have those feelings : a zealous person[/size][/color]

I've been waiting for a while to replace my 910 D2. Played on Sunday with a rental 913 D3 and was smoking the ball - better flight / launch angle. Can't wait to test the 915 D2 / D3 out before I make a purchase. I really do like the looks of the 915 so far. If I don't like the 915's performance, then hopefully the 913s will drop slightly in price by next spring when I can order it.

PING G430 Max 8* Driver

PING G430 LST 14* Fairway Wood

PING G430 SFT 18* Fairway Wood

PING iCrossover 21.5* Hybrid

PING i500 5-UW

PING Glide 4.0 54* SW

PING Glide 4.0 58* LW

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 Putter

Unfortunately all the various OEM fanboys, some are way more zealous than others, love to post in 'other OEM's' threads all the time...what goes around comes around. If everyone would just refrain from calling eveything else junk or crap in general it would help a ton.

Always liked the look of the 910 D3, thought the 913 lost it's pear shape for the most part...but just the same...the heads don't agree with my swing. Always try them for feel comparisons and such when doing fittings and get as much information from them as possible to aid in my fittings. All OEMS make great equipment....not a reason to bash anything out there...don't like it, don't buy it, better yet...don't comment on things you don't like in a manner of 'holier than thou'

just sayin

Callaway Mavrik SZΒ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway MavrikΒ SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik ProΒ Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 andΒ  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

It's amazing how many people here can tell how a driver will perform for any possible player by merely looking at a still photograph of it. Real-world testing and launch monitors are for suckers!

It looks like a Titleist driver, which I like. I'll check back with a SCORCHING HOT TAKE about the performance. once I actually hit the thing. Please wait here calmly until November, or possibly next spring.

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special SelectΒ Newport 2

Looks good so far, it will be interesting once people start to hit it and get some actual feedback. I was getting pretty close to pulling the trigger on a SLDR but I think this driver looks good enough to make me wait. I've been really happy with my 913D2, it's super forgiving and may not be the longest out there but I can usually find it. If Titleist could keep the same type of driver and lower spin or get faster ball speed I'm all about it.

TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
TSR2 15* Ventus TR Blue 7X
TSi2 21* MRC Tensei Raw WhiteΒ Β 70TX
T100S 4-W Modus 120X
SM9 50F/54S/58D Modus 120X
Some sort of Cameron

Really happy about Titleist keeping their SureFit adapter, and I'm excited to see how the 915 performs.

As a Titleist "fanboy" I really wasn't against any slot tech (I had a VR Pro LTD 3 wood in my bag for a while), but I was against any change to their classic looking crowns and shapes. Very happy it is relatively the same.

[quote name='epixep' timestamp='1403628977' post='9567005']
Really happy about Titleist keeping their SureFit adapter, and I'm excited to see how the 915 performs.

As a Titleist "fanboy" I really wasn't against any slot tech (I had a VR Pro LTD 3 wood in my bag for a while), but I was against any change to their classic looking crowns and shapes. Very happy it is relatively the same.
[/quote]

I agree with you on the adapter, but did they really have to change the shape of the removable weight?