2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist's new 915D2 and 915D3 Drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

Looks good! I don't see how it can be called "old tech" without anyone having hit it yet; perhaps they liked the idea of the compression channel from "old" drivers and have improved the idea to perfection? Who knows at this point. To me, it looks good and I will definitely hit it after skipping the 913.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='SolidOrangeTiger' timestamp='1403570808' post='9562251']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1403542884' post='9558611']
[quote name='moose557' timestamp='1403542724' post='9558593']
Damm I need a new driver but don't think I can wait till November. [b]Is it normal for manufacturers to release photos and have their tour staff using clubs so far in advance of public release? [/b]There haven't been any official photos released of the G30s and from what I read there going to be available shorty
[/quote]

For Titleist it is and I don't know why.... And then another few months for the fairways/hybrids. I really wish Titliest would release the clubs shortly after the photos like other OEM's. By the time the actual club comes out half of the buzz is gone.
[/quote]

This will not answer the underlying question, but I find it interesting that it seems some still believe that the club has to be tour validated before coming to retail. Don't get me wrong, I'm Titleist through and through, but based upon a response on Page 3 of the link below where a poster states he hopes it gets through the prototype stage and the fact that Titleist didn't scoop the release first since at least the 712 launch, I wonder if Titleist is trying to hold onto the tour-verification stage perception.

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/team-titleist/f/6/t/25728.aspx?pi3483=3

Also, I , as well as at least one other posted a reference to this site for 915 pictures on the Team Titleist board. The post was approved but it never made it up. Seems strange for this release.
[/quote]

I have asked Titliest a few times why they spread out the release and I received the same answer each time. They say that they like to separate the products and extend the "buzz". Agree with their logic or not, that is the answer that they give.

The speculation in that link about this not being the final product is false.

[quote name='SJP1' timestamp='1403572000' post='9562449']
From PGATour.com:

Former No. 1-ranked amateur Patrick Cantlay was one of the first players to test the 915 driver on Monday morning and mentioned to Titleist Tour rep Chris Tuten that the club was definitely firmer at impact and didn't feel nearly as soft off the face as the 913 driver. [b]Cantlay also noted that he liked the higher launch angle and how the ball wasn't rising rising on him.[/b]

South African Tyron Van Aswegen, who finished tied for 26th at the Travelers Championship, told Titleist Tour reps he was really excited to get a new driver at Congressional. So excited, in fact, that he said it was going straight in the bag after a Monday morning test session. [b]Van Aswegen told Titleist Tour reps that the driver was lower spinning, had a higher launch and was more solid off the face than his previous driver[/b].[/quote]
What are those morons talking about? You can tell by the photos that the weight is still in the back so clearly it's a high spinning piece of garbage. It's not like they've actually hit it.

Oh wait...

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

I like Titleist and all but no offense there really isn't much technology.... maybe if you would have released it say 3 years ago but no, not in today's market.

SLDR used 8 year old low forward CG technology from the 905S. Guess it's trash.

Well..it looks like it became a reality ;)

ScreenShot2014-06-23at51240PM-1.png

I really do wonder why Nike got rid of compression channel. There's no doubt that it helps with strikes low on the face, but Callaway would say a cup face does the same thing.

The 915 implementation is different based on geometry alone, so I look forward to your review!

Nike couldn't use the compression channel with the cavity back. It would not be a conforming driver, way to much spring affect.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1403573539' post='9562637']
[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1403572994' post='9562571']
I really do wonder why Nike got rid of compression channel. There's no doubt that it helps with strikes low on the face, but Callaway would say a cup face does the same thing.

The 915 implementation is different based on geometry alone, so I look forward to your review!
[/quote]
Nike couldn't use the compression channel with the cavity back. It would not be a conforming driver, way to much spring affect.
[/quote]
Compression channel and cavity back do completely different things. Compression channel increases the area with maximum COR, and cavity back pushes CG forward for lower spin.

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[size=3]Regarding hands on experience with the 915d - Sound is a little louder, not piercing but more explosive. Some might dislike it but it's not a game changer. [/size]

[size=3]Spin is a less, probably 300-500 in stock for stock offerings, also goes higher, probably a good 2-3 degrees. [/size]

[size=3]Fairway/hybrid- To be continued [/size]

[size=3]ARC keeps spin lower on miss hits, especially low or heel. [/size]

[size=3]Shape is better, top is shinier - less bronze flake (which you can see under the sun with the 913), alignment aid takes time since the old one has been around so long but once you get used to it the wide triangle end works better than the point.[/size]

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1403574266' post='9562763']
[size=3]Regarding hands on experience with the 915d - Sound is a little louder, not piercing but more explosive. Some might dislike it but it's not a game changer. [/size]

[size=3]Spin is a less, probably 300-500 in stock for stock offerings, also goes higher, probably a good 2-3 degrees. [/size]

[size=3]Fairway/hybrid- To be continued [/size]

[size=3]ARC keeps spin lower on miss hits, especially low or heel. [/size]

[size=3]Shape is better, top is shinier - less bronze flake (which you can see under the sun with the 913), alignment aid takes time since the old one has been around so long but once you get used to it the wide triangle end works better than the point.[/size]
[/quote]

You hit it?

Callaway Mavrick Callaway Mavrick SZ 3W Callaway Superhybrid Titleist 510 20 Titleist T100 Vokey SM7 54 and 60 Scotty Cameron T22

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1403568243' post='9561949']
[quote name='Ruehl925' timestamp='1403566527' post='9561743']
I like Titleist and all but no offense there really isn't much technology.... maybe if you would have released it say 3 years ago but no, not in today's market.
[/quote]
SLDR used 8 year old low forward CG technology from the 905S. Guess it's trash.
[/quote]

Run tell dat!

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6-X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7-X
Titleist TSR2 18* w/ Fuji Ventus Red 8-X
Titleist T200 4i w/ UST Recoil Dart 105-X
Titleist T100 2023 5-PW w/ Nippon MODUS3 Tour 120 X 
Scotty Cameron Circle T R&D Concept 1 Newport
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50F/54S/60T w/ DG Tour Issue S400

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1403574266' post='9562763']

[/quote]
500 rpm less spin and 3* higher launch gets me to 16.5* launch with 1800 rpm spin. Who needs SLDR? Not me. :pimp:

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1403574048' post='9562733']

[/quote]
[/quote]
Compression channel and cavity back do completely different things. Compression channel increases the area with maximum COR, and cavity back pushes CG forward for lower spin.
[/quote]
Thats what I took away from the Oven. We asked about the channel.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

That PGATour article has Patrick Cantlay saying it's not as soft as his 913. If it really does feel worse it may be a tough sell to Titleist pros.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='JaxBeachNole' timestamp='1403574521' post='9562807']
That PGATour article has Patrick Cantlay saying it's not as soft as his 913. If it really does feel worse it may be a tough sell to Titleist pros.
[/quote]
Cantlay said it was firmer, not worse. I, for one, don't want my driver to feel like I'm hitting a marshmallow.

716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1403574440' post='9562789']
[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1403574048' post='9562733']

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
Thats what I took away from the Oven. We asked about the channel.
[/quote]

I'm going out on a limb and saying the Covert was a bust. :vava:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1403573303' post='9562611']
[quote name='SolidOrangeTiger' timestamp='1403570808' post='9562251']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1403542884' post='9558611']
[quote name='moose557' timestamp='1403542724' post='9558593']
Damm I need a new driver but don't think I can wait till November. [b]Is it normal for manufacturers to release photos and have their tour staff using clubs so far in advance of public release? [/b]There haven't been any official photos released of the G30s and from what I read there going to be available shorty
[/quote]

For Titleist it is and I don't know why.... And then another few months for the fairways/hybrids. I really wish Titliest would release the clubs shortly after the photos like other OEM's. By the time the actual club comes out half of the buzz is gone.
[/quote]

This will not answer the underlying question, but I find it interesting that it seems some still believe that the club has to be tour validated before coming to retail. Don't get me wrong, I'm Titleist through and through, but based upon a response on Page 3 of the link below where a poster states he hopes it gets through the prototype stage and the fact that Titleist didn't scoop the release first since at least the 712 launch, I wonder if Titleist is trying to hold onto the tour-verification stage perception.

http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleist/team-titleist/f/6/t/25728.aspx?pi3483=3

Also, I , as well as at least one other posted a reference to this site for 915 pictures on the Team Titleist board. The post was approved but it never made it up. Seems strange for this release.
[/quote]

I have asked Titliest a few times why they spread out the release and I received the same answer each time. They say that they like to separate the products and extend the "buzz". Agree with their logic or not, that is the answer that they give.

The speculation in that link about this not being the final product is false.
[/quote]

Yeah, it is what it is I suppose. I'd gladly give them the buzz period (like any of us have the choice) if the retail release was moved back to early summer. I remember picking up the 983 in May of '03 and the 905 in June/July of '05. I guess sales figures dictate the late fall/early winter releases though.

Maybe in 5 years, Titleist will come up with a cavity back driver?

Funny how people like the clean looks of the Titleist. The Nike VR Pro / VR Pro Limited did not have any alignment line on the head, while the Titleist has the cheesy two-arrowheads. Nike is cleaner.

My guesstimate is that Titleist contracted the same foundry who made the Nike VR Pro and let them do their driver. Of course that foundry has since upgraded to include adjustable hosels. After all, in the driver category, Titleist has been know more as a "follower" than an "innovator".

[quote name='sbjinx' timestamp='1403572292' post='9562487']
I, like many of you cant wait to give this a try when it comes out in 5 months. I also think it has a clean, modern look and I for one am glad that it wasn't just a facelife (i.e. 910 to 913)

In all seriousness, Titleist really does things their way. Nowdays it seems like OEMs can't wait to get new products out yet Titleist will wait 5 months for whatever reason. And correct me if I'm wrong but they are also the only major OEM to not do any live chats, trips, giveaways, mid-season price drops, or participate in "shootouts" (this was for another site where Titleist declined to participate in their best of list). Yet, they come out with a new driver and it gets +1,000 readers and probably sell really well (with I'm sure higher than average reviews).
[/quote]

+ [size=5]∞[/size]

no gimmicks - just solid tech, solid design, solid distribution patterns and channels

love Titleist

It will be a shootout between this and the Mizuno for me. I really like the feedback so far.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

You gotta give it to Titleist. Looks like subtle tweaks to the same design, but slightly improved. You can bet this driver will be better than 913 (but not by much) along with looking good and sounding great (but not by a lot). Titleist is like Porsche - they don't reinvent the wheel because they know what works for them and it sells. The new product is always marginally better than the last.

I'll reserve judgment until I hit it but I'm sure it will perform as intended!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='jick' timestamp='1403575449' post='9562923']
Maybe in 5 years, Titleist will come up with a cavity back driver?

Funny how people like the clean looks of the Titleist. The Nike VR Pro / VR Pro Limited did not have any alignment line on the head, while the Titleist has the cheesy two-arrowheads. Nike is cleaner.

My guesstimate is that Titleist contracted the same foundry who made the Nike VR Pro and let them do their driver. Of course that foundry has since upgraded to include adjustable hosels. After all, in the driver category, Titleist has been know more as a "follower" than an "innovator".
[/quote]

Do you know who else doesn't innovate? Apple

Apple never is first to the market with any product:

MP3 player? Nope.
Touch screen smart phone? Nope.
Tablet? Nope
Smart watch? Nope.

But they let other make the mistakes and improve upon the quality and functionality. Titleist didn't introduce the channel but I'd bet a paycheck that they did it better than anybody else. Being first to market isn't ideal, any business school hack of a professor will tell you that. If Titleist adds 2* and reduces 500 RPM's than they will have the best product on the market.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1403575965' post='9562995']
You gotta give it to Titleist. Looks like subtle tweaks to the same design, but slightly improved. You can bet this driver will be better than 913 (but not by much) along with looking good and sounding great (but not by a lot). Titleist is like Porsche - they don't reinvent the wheel because they know what works for them and it sells. The new product is always marginally better than the last.

I'll reserve judgment until I hit it but I'm sure it will perform as intended!
[/quote]Well said! I would add they always have a certain feel and find fairways, "at least for me".

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

Drivers release in November? Fairways and Hybrids in February of 2015?

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X