2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist's new 915D2 and 915D3 Drivers: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

[quote name='TaylorMadeLuv' timestamp='1403591147' post='9564251']
[quote name='Stetson' timestamp='1403579371' post='9563505']
[quote name='Rdjr' timestamp='1403576818' post='9563165']
I guess refinement not innovation is the moral.
[/quote]

Max Cor has been achieved for nearly a decade, so innovation is a product of marketing, not actual improvement. Titleist is listed as the most accurate and forgiving driver in nearly all comparisons and reviews I see. So if it is the most forgiving and accurate, and by rule it isn't allowed to be any more explosive, how can you innovate? Refinement is a superior long term strategy.
[/quote]

To answer your question. You can innovate by taking what Titleist has created, which is a high moi spin machine and create a better launching club. Titleist is also the highest launching and highest spinning and also one of the shortest drivers in testing. More launch + more spin = accurate, forgiving and short. This all has to do with their CG placement being so far back from the face. As soon as Titleist gets on the low and forward CG wagon, which sounds like the 917 or 919 line they will have a winner. The only path to more distance is launch it higher with less spin. They will get it soon enough...4-5 years after TaylorMade gives them the blueprint...

Innovation does not need to be max Cor. Innovation is doing things differently to achieve better results. Could you imagine what Nick Watney could do with a SLDR...if he scrubbed 800 Rpms of spin he would hit it 30-40 yards further with the same swing. Instead he averages under 300 yards with ball speeds in the 170's. Pretty sad.
[/quote]

maybe depends on his AoA, maybe he's hitting down, thus incresing the backspin

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='johnstitch' timestamp='1403576788' post='9563153']
I cannot imagine in any way that these will be anything less than superb clubs. While they went a bit gaga with the 907/909 the 910s and 913s seem to dominate good players bags wherever I play. Any sign of fairways and hybrids or will these be later?
[/quote]
I don't know where you play but not only doesn't dominate in areas I frequent (Calif North and South), Ariz, Central FLA, & CT, they are relatively rare. I personally don't know any top level player using one except for a Staff Club pro. More better players round the country and around the world play another company's drivers by a very wide margin.
Titleist has a very small market share in the driver business. Ping will sell more drivers in a 6 month period than Titleist will in an entire two year cycle of their product. And of course we won't even mention the big guys Callaway or the 400 lb gorilla owned by the three stripe company!

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

Great, now I have to change my shorts... Oh please God, somehow make that LH 8.5 show up at my door with a Fubuki J, or that new Diamana Whiteboard style. Titleist does it again, prettiest thing I've seen come to market

Titleist 910D3 8.5 Diamana D+ 72 x stiff
Titleist 906f4 15.5 Diamana S+ 83 xstiff
Titleist 910H 19 Diamana S+ x flex
Ping S56 4-W KBS Tour stiff Black Dot
Vokey SM5 54.10 M Grind 60.07S Grind
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport 33"

[/quote]

Max Cor has been achieved for nearly a decade, so innovation is a product of marketing, not actual improvement. Titleist is listed as the most accurate and forgiving driver in nearly all comparisons and reviews I see. So if it is the most forgiving and accurate, and by rule it isn't allowed to be any more explosive, how can you innovate? Refinement is a superior long term strategy.
[/quote]

To answer your question. You can innovate by taking what Titleist has created, which is a high moi spin machine and create a better launching club. Titleist is also the highest launching and highest spinning and also one of the shortest drivers in testing. More launch + more spin = accurate, forgiving and short. This all has to do with their CG placement being so far back from the face. As soon as Titleist gets on the low and forward CG wagon, which sounds like the 917 or 919 line they will have a winner. The only path to more distance is launch it higher with less spin. They will get it soon enough...4-5 years after TaylorMade gives them the blueprint...

Innovation does not need to be max Cor. Innovation is doing things differently to achieve better results. Could you imagine what Nick Watney could do with a SLDR...if he scrubbed 800 Rpms of spin he would hit it 30-40 yards further with the same swing. Instead he averages under 300 yards with ball speeds in the 170's. Pretty sad.
[/quote]

I'll take my short and in the fairway driver all day long.

[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1403531499' post='9556815']
[quote name='jjcopeland7' timestamp='1403531272' post='9556769']
Love how Titleist's low totem poll guys get the first look being on the range Monday am. :)
[/quote]

Yeah that is kinda strange, even non touring pros have already hit this thing.
[/quote]

Must be a Grass Roots kinda thing.

BTW if this thing sounds as good as it looks with a penetrating ball flight, I just may get one. Not a fan of the lob driver.

[quote name='tommy89' timestamp='1403596986' post='9564403']
So after all the Titleist fan boys laughing at speed slots etc by taylormade they've gone and copied it.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:
[/quote]Actually Nike was first DUUUUUH! And the slider deal was Mizuno hahhahaha.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]You do know Nick Watney went to Nike 2 years ago right? Pretty sad, and hasn't been the same player since.

Titleist TSR2 GD UB 6S
TEE CB5 4 wood Fubuki Tour
Srixon ZX7 5-pw Nippon Modus 120
Miura custom raw 50 54, 56 Nippon WV 125

David Mills SG Dale Pencil flowneck
David Mills Custom torched Heritage SS flow neck
David Mills Custom Carbon flow neck Hertitage V2 with Nitride finish
David Mills Carbon Ming V3 pencil flow neck
Byron Rincon DH89

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you. So what you stated is what I summed up, just in many more words.

Nothing major other than copying the channel from Nike.
Max cor has been reached at the sweet spot for a while like Stetson said. They are still trying to make the sweet spot bigger. I just hit a little baby draw yesterday totally off the toe on my SLDR and I still flew the forced carry of 265 yards.
I don't see much to get excited about with the 915 line for now. We'll reevaluate my opinion when I try it. Probably stil a fantastic product from a great company.
I actually like the new alignment aid. A clean and modern evolution.

sorry this isoff topic, but i was wondering : how can you put for example

[color=#A4A4A4][size=3]SLDR 10,5 Diamana D+[/size][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][size=3]TM 16* mini + X2Hot 18* Pro Hybrid[/size][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][size=3]2014 TM TP MC (4-PW)[/size][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][size=3]Titlesit Vokey SM4 50, 56, 64[/size][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][size=3]TM Spider Si 35" counterbalanced[/size][/color]

[size=3]at the end of your post ??[/size]
[size=3]Thanks[/size]

[quote name='TheMoneyShot' timestamp='1403584487' post='9563955']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1403584009' post='9563935']
One of my sources has also said that the 915 fairways/hybrids will use the same adapters. The slot will be deeper and thinner and the weight will be more forward like the FD.

I just wish they would release everything at the same time and sooner than Oct/Nov. Looking forward to the 915 and the new iPhone releases.. :)
[/quote]

915, iphone 6 and iwatch. It's going to be a very busy and expensive fall/winter....
[/quote]

I'm glad the World Cup is going on, otherwise the anticipation would be killing me.

M1 HZRDUS Black<br />SLDR 15 TS 8.3<br />X2 Hot 18 Kuro Kage 80<br />i200 3 Modus 130<br />S55 4-PW Modus 130<br />Engage 52 56 S S400<br />Newport 1.5<br />[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/614089-jaxbeachnole-witb-page-1/"]WITB Link[/url]

http://www.golfwrx.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/f5de0c12203b58538e74dfd0f9ea6984.jpg

I find this to be the most interesting picture. The channel is angled, and there seems to be something going on right behind it. Unless we had info of what is going on inside the head, there is no judgement to be made right now engineering wise. If there is internal weighting on those 3 sole pads between the channel and the weight chip, it would definitely effect cog.

915 D3 8.5 Rogue Silver60
915 FD 15 Rogue Black80
915 H 18 Rogue Black85
Titleist 712u 19* DG Pro
Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG Pro
Vokey Sm5 58K,52S DG

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Once you optimize launch angle and spin for a given player distance is maxed, period. If you go through a proper fitting making adjustments to the shaft and Surefit you will get to your maximum distance. I don't care what the name on the bottom of the club is, with a given swing speed there is a maximum distance and even though TMAG won't publicly acknowledge it you can reach that number with any OEM if your swing is solid.

Btw Nick Watney is ranked 8th in Total Driving, very disappointing, got to blame the club I'm sure.

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

[quote name='squishyy' timestamp='1403565535' post='9561629']
I'm a fan of titleist and still play the 910d2 but I must say the recoil channel is already a 2 year old technology that other manufacturers have already used. Also, a new weight style so we would have to spend more for the weight kit?

Great looking head but not impressed for two years of research. I'd bet the 917 will have new adapter and sliding weights similar to uhhhh yea...
[/quote]
I find it odd that TM, Adams and now Titleist have compression channels on the bottom of their drivers, and that Nike abandoned the channel when the Covert drivers came out.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 10K, 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR Red 5R

TaylorMade Qi10 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Fujikura Ventus TR Blue FW 65 R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='Stetson' timestamp='1403609008' post='9564695']

Once you optimize launch angle and spin for a given player distance is maxed, period. If you go through a proper fitting making adjustments to the shaft and Surefit you will get to your maximum distance. [b]I don't care what the name on the bottom of the club is, with a given swing speed there is a maximum distance and even though TMAG won't publicly acknowledge it you can reach that number with any OEM if your swing is solid. [/b]

Btw Nick Watney is ranked 8th in Total Driving, very disappointing, got to blame the club I'm sure.
[/quote]

This.

Plus the added variable of shaft

[quote name='CMBaviator_FR' timestamp='1403607267' post='9564635']

[size=3]Thanks[/size]
[/quote]

I'll send you a PM to explain how to add this...

[quote name='UHCougar' timestamp='1403609917' post='9564741']
[quote name='Stetson' timestamp='1403609008' post='9564695']

Once you optimize launch angle and spin for a given player distance is maxed, period. If you go through a proper fitting making adjustments to the shaft and Surefit you will get to your maximum distance. [b]I don't care what the name on the bottom of the club is, with a given swing speed there is a maximum distance and even though TMAG won't publicly acknowledge it you can reach that number with any OEM if your swing is solid. [/b]

[/quote]

This.

Plus the added variable of shaft
[/quote]

To each, their own...I'm a low launch low spin player...so titleist's added spin is a bonus for me. I've never been more accurate and still can get it out there past my friends with sldr's. I've tried the sldr's on several occasions and can't get it to do what my titleist can...does that mean its a bad driver, no!. One of my coworkers just got the sldr's after hitting an old r11 and literally picked up 30 yards. It's all about what fits, and for me I can optimize my driving with a titleist. That being said the new 915 should be more appealing to the masses by lowering the spin from the previous versions while still retaining classic titleist traits.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6-X
Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7-X
Titleist TSR2 18* w/ Fuji Ventus Red 8-X
Titleist T200 4i w/ UST Recoil Dart 105-X
Titleist T100 2023 5-PW w/ Nippon MODUS3 Tour 120 X 
Scotty Cameron Circle T R&D Concept 1 Newport
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 50F/54S/60T w/ DG Tour Issue S400

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
In 2012, when Watney was still with Titleist, with the high spinning piece of garbage 910D3/913D3, he averaged 296.8 yards off the tee.

In 2013, when Watney signed with Nike, with the amazing low spinning Covert, he averaged 291.2 yards off the tee.

We don't need to imagine what he could do with low spin, we know: losing yardage.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='Punchdraw' timestamp='1403582216' post='9563805'][quote name='Llortamaisey' timestamp='1403579491' post='9563511']
Is it just me or could anyone else not find any pictures of the 915D2 head? I only saw the 915D3. I guess you win some and you lose some.
[/quote]

Go back to the first page in the thread. The very first pictures are of a D2[/quote]

Thanks man! Those pictures wouldn't load on my phone but they pulled up on my computer. Knew something was up.

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1403614087' post='9565091']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
In 2012, when Watney was still with Titleist, with the high spinning piece of garbage 910D3/913D3, he averaged 296.8 yards off the tee.

In 2013, when Watney signed with Nike, with the amazing low spinning Covert, he averaged 291.2 yards off the tee.

We don't need to imagine what he could do with low spin, we know: losing yardage.
[/quote]

So lower spin, under every circumstance, isn't always better? Wow! :)

It makes me laugh when I see a guy with an 80 mph swing speed pop his SLDR down the fairway 170 yards... Coulda got more carry with more spin, but the commercials forget to mention that

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

[quote name='cadman88' timestamp='1403612604' post='9564925']
[quote name='CMBaviator_FR' timestamp='1403607267' post='9564635']

[size=3]Thanks[/size]
[/quote]

I'll send you a PM to explain how to add this...
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm pretty sure his Titleist driver was 10.5* as well. You would think from the TM and Nike lovers in this thread Nick should have played a 6.5* 913D

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Reading what the tour pros were saying is that the 915 drivers were launching higher and spinning less. I for one think this was possibly exactly the driver they needed to release.

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60

[quote name='CMBaviator_FR' timestamp='1403615779' post='9565293']
[quote]It makes me laugh when I see a guy with an 80 mph swing speed pop his SLDR down the fairway 170 yards... Coulda got more carry with more spin, but the commercials forget to mention that[/quote]

Well I assume he didn't get fitted or was badly advised
[/quote]
SLDR is probably the easiest $399 any store will ever make.

915D3 8.5* Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX
915F 15* Diamana B-Series 80X, 18* Grafalloy Epic T90X
716MB 4-PW X100
SM6 52F TVD 56K/60M S400
Bullseye Flange

[quote name='Yellow Jacket' timestamp='1403616462' post='9565393']
[quote name='CMBaviator_FR' timestamp='1403615779' post='9565293']
[quote]It makes me laugh when I see a guy with an 80 mph swing speed pop his SLDR down the fairway 170 yards... Coulda got more carry with more spin, but the commercials forget to mention that[/quote]

Well I assume he didn't get fitted or was badly advised
[/quote]
SLDR is probably the easiest $399 any store will ever make.
[/quote]

Far more than that; Guy will probably go to any big box store one day, pick one up otr, take a couple of swings (by the rack, not on the monitor), determine it is god's gift to Earth and buy it. 2 rounds later he will sell it back for $75 in-store credit, and said store will put it in the used clubs section.

New guy will be purusing the used clubs and see this discounted SLDR for [i]only[/i] $285! Of course he has to have it.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Titleist 910D3 Tour AD-DI
Titleist 910F 19* Project X
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW KBS Tour-V
Titleist SM5 50*F/54*M/58*K KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Select Newport[/font]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just correcting a little bit here, Nick Watney in 2013 chose to play the higher spinning performance version of the Covert because he couldn't get along with the Covert Tour 1.0. I don't blame him for that.

Taylormade M1 460 - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 fairway - Aldila Tour Blue
Taylormade M1 hybrids 4&5 - Aldila Rouge 110
Taylormade PSi Tour irons - KBS Tour
Taylormade EF Wedges ATV Grind - KBS Wedge
Nike Method Mod 60