2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Is scratch possible for everybody?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think most of you understand the meaning of the word possible. How much time do you think the average 10 HDCP golfer puts into getting better at golf? Couple hours a week?

You're telling me if he had 40-60 hours/week dedicated to golf with coaches who actually knew what they were doing and physical fitness trainers/etc. that someone couldn't get to scratch? Putting in significant productive time would completely change understanding of golf, gain strength, fix the golf swing, gain consistency in all aspects of the game.

Now, no one does that because of time and $ constraints, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be possible, it just means that people have other higher priorities in life ($/career/family/etc)

If anyone spent even 1 year puting 40 productive hrs a week into golf they would be scratch... easily.

There are guys who can get to scratch (which I'll define as playing close to par each time you tee it up) easily, and there are guys who can get there but only after lots of instruction and hard work (and most of us have seen both). There is also category of guys who just can't get there. That just seems to me to be the way it is in a lot of endeavors, especially athletic ones.

I do think virtually everyone without physical limitations can, with appropriate instruction and practice, achieve a level of proficiency that will allow them to play the game with a level of enjoyment. For some that's a 5, others a 10, a 15 or 20. The problems come in when one allows his (lack of) proficiency to detract from the pure enjoyment of the game. (I can speak to this personally).

It can become a matter of aligning expectations with results, or the current state of your game, your score, and what you would like to shoot. For inspiration, listen to a Phil Mickelson interview, particularly after a bad round. He maintains the most optimistic, upbeat frame of mind (kind of the opposite of Bubba) you can. Something every golfer can learn and do.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

[quote name='90isagoodday' timestamp='1405692837' post='9727785']
I don't think most of you understand the meaning of the word possible. How much time do you think the average 10 HDCP golfer puts into getting better at golf? Couple hours a week?

[/quote]

I don't think you are understanding most of our replies. I honestly do not believe "anyone" could get to scratch with enough practice and instruction. More people could be scratch than are currently scratch, but I don't think everyone could do it if they simply devoted their lives to making it so. There is some level of physical ability and aptitude that some people just don't have, no matter how much time they spend on the game. I believe that. There are plenty of retired guys or wealthy people that get the bug, and really do have virtually unlimited time to play and practice and money to afford instruction. They are not all scratch players.

This isn't meant to be discouraging, but just realistic. I am fully aware that the more I play and the more I practice, the better I score. But I also realize that there are some limitations to that. If there wasn't, anyone with enough time and money could theoretically play their way beyond scratch... to like a +5 or better... and then make the tour, which we all know is not true. Read Paper Tiger. It's about a guy who was a decent player as a teen and young 20-something, but focused his career on writing and journalism. He took a year to devote his life to golf and writing about his experiences, and although he got much better, he couldn't get through Q-school.

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

[quote name='90isagoodday' timestamp='1405692837' post='9727785']

You're telling me if he had 40-60 hours/week dedicated to golf with coaches who actually knew what they were doing and physical fitness trainers/etc. that someone couldn't get to scratch? Putting in significant productive time would completely change understanding of golf, gain strength, fix the golf swing, gain consistency in all aspects of the game.

Now, no one does that because of time and $ constraints, but that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be possible, it just means that people have other higher priorities in life ($/career/family/etc)

If anyone spent even 1 year puting 40 productive hrs a week into golf they would be scratch... easily.
[/quote]

Well I'd disagree here, because my country club is FULL of guys with no time or money constraints playing AND practicing (with instruction) on the course 5-6x/week (good players too) that AT BEST get to a 3-4.....which isn't even close to a true scratch in my opinion.

0.0 index is TOUGH to get to period. To think it's just about time and money is simply not in touch with reality......
Golf is pretty much the ONLY sport I know of where participants just have no idea how difficult it is to get to those elite levels.....I play on occasion with touring pros and to be honest we hit very similar shots (I can do anything they do)....but they just do them just that little bit better. At the end of the day when we add them up, they are 6 deep and I'm a couple over.

No different than when I play with someone like a high single or low double digit. They hit the same/similar shots as me....I make less errors and have smaller mistakes....at the end of the day I've beaten them by 8 shots or more.

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

[quote name='isaacbm' timestamp='1405573709' post='9717979']
Ok, forget about the 4 minute mile. What about being a 90% free throw shooter. What about bowling a perfect game, what about throwing multiple perfect games in a row in darts, what about running 3 racks in a row at 9 ball, or any other things that "don't require physical gifts."

It's all wishful thinking. I've been around great golfers all my life and none of them weren't at a high level within 3 years of taking up the game. If you have it you have it. If you don't you don't.

I'd say maybe 5-10 percent of the population has the "potential" to reach scratch. You need the type of physical and mental skills to start out with and then with a bit of time and practice you can get there. And I did say a bit. Not crazy amounts of time. If you are one of those people and then you work at it you'll get there but otherwise I don't think you will.

As far as the Dan plan goes, we've talked this over for months and months on this site. Even if the guy got to a level where he was shooting under 75 regularily on a slope 120 rated 70 golf course, he wouldn't break 85 in a tournament from 7300 sloped 145. Golf and tournament golf are not even remotely the same thing. Either a person has the mentality for tournament golf or they don't. I know 25 scratch golfers at their home track that can't break 77 in tournaments.

Why do we all have to be the same? Can't we all have our own gifts? Why do we all have to be able to be great at everything?
[/quote]

Almost exactly what I was thinking. If starting young (below about 13 years old) I'd up the odds to 15-20% (and they go up the younger you start, IMO). If starting after 20 years old, I'd say odds are < 5% and will require a lot more time.

Not everyone can reach that level in fact not even close. 1% of players reach that level, and those who say it's attainable but are 20hcp'ers are just kidding themselves by saying if only they had more time. Sorry but that's the truth.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Many threads come along - like this one - that point to how individual the sport of golf is. We commit to what we believe. We DEEPLY commit. We have to or we couldn't execute a single shot. We also have to be realistic or we would never be half-decent course managers. We also play our own game and sort of let the other players play theirs (sometimes waiting for them the to make the rookie mistake). Then we gather in the clubhouse (here in this case) and we laugh, argue, and giggle at things said at the next table over...

Love this thread. Reminds me of what makes golfers a little different breed of cat in so many ways. I sort of picture how many posters would play, and then behave afterward, based on how they express themselves. Good fun and great post PK!

I think it comes down to hand eye coordination as the limiting factor.

You take the guy who hit .500 in high school ball and with proper instruction he can get there.

The kid who shot 45% from three point the same.

The guy who looks like an expert at ping pong, darts, or quarters the first time probably can get there with proper instruction.

Those like me who struggled to hit .300, nope not going to happen.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I have flip flopped over and over on this topic.

And I think it is possible if you take a kid as long as they are physically able and you could have them a scratch by college.
I learned at age 8 played til 12 didnt play again until 25 by 26 I was a scratch with no practice just playing.

With all the time available I think anyone over the age of 30 best they could probably do single digit who shoots par every now and again.

But if you just take a year and only chip and putt you will get to a a 10

Nope! not even close .
Boogey Golf as mentioned before - maybe - we are talking about 100% of all golfers correct ?

You can be a very good athlete in other sports & not excell at Golf. Golf is a non-reaction sport static ball , requiring specific skills These skills take time & practice to hone & plenty of raw talent to excell ..

Most Golfers I know would be thrilled to play single digit's including myself

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1405728722' post='9731961']
Why don't all pro pitchers throw it 100mph? They have nothing but time, coaching, opportunity to get stronger, etc... They don't because they can't!! There will be 50 guys teeing off at my club in the morning that will NEVER EVER break 80 let alone get to scratch .....

Edit... 50 is a bit high.... 25 for sure.... Lol
[/quote]

You're comparing something that has everything to do with genetics and athletic ability to something that has almost nothing to do with genetics and athletic ability. What does it take to be a good golfer? An on-plane swing, hips/arms/hands firing in the proper sequence, a minor amount of hand eye coordination, and some touch around the greens, that's it. Which part of that isn't learnable?

[quote name='90isagoodday' timestamp='1405731761' post='9732199'][quote name='4Par' timestamp='1405728722' post='9731961']
Why don't all pro pitchers throw it 100mph? They have nothing but time, coaching, opportunity to get stronger, etc... They don't because they can't!! There will be 50 guys teeing off at my club in the morning that will NEVER EVER break 80 let alone get to scratch .....

[/quote]

You're comparing something that has everything to do with genetics and athletic ability to something that has almost nothing to do with genetics and athletic ability. What does it take to be a good golfer? An on-plane swing, hips/arms/hands firing in the proper sequence, a minor amount of hand eye coordination, and some touch around the greens, that's it. Which part of that isn't learnable?[/quote]

What is simpler than throwing a ball? It's hips/arms/hands firing in the proper sequence and a bit of strength that can be built.....

I DO BELIEVE that scratch golfers have superior athletic ability.

[quote name='90isagoodday' timestamp='1405731761' post='9732199']

[/quote]

You're comparing something that has everything to do with genetics and athletic ability to something that has almost nothing to do with genetics and athletic ability. What does it take to be a good golfer? An on-plane swing, hips/arms/hands firing in the proper sequence, a minor amount of hand eye coordination, and some touch around the greens, that's it. Which part of that isn't learnable?
[/quote]

All of it for some people. Look around.

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1405732731' post='9732317']
[quote name='90isagoodday' timestamp='1405731761' post='9732199'][quote name='4Par' timestamp='1405728722' post='9731961']

[/quote]

You're comparing something that has everything to do with genetics and athletic ability to something that has almost nothing to do with genetics and athletic ability. What does it take to be a good golfer? An on-plane swing, hips/arms/hands firing in the proper sequence, a minor amount of hand eye coordination, and some touch around the greens, that's it. Which part of that isn't learnable?[/quote]

What is simpler than throwing a ball? It's hips/arms/hands firing in the proper sequence and a bit of strength that can be built.....

[/quote]

WEll there are a lot more scratch golfers than people who throw 100 so obviously it isnt that simple. Being I was a pro baseball player now a pro golfer theres a huge difference in what your comparing. Golf you can better yourself daily. If started young enough anything is "possible" even with limited hand eye coordination and the understanding that they will never hit it 300 yards but a short on plane swing with a superior short game they can be a scratch.

Yes golf is a sport but you dont see a overweight pitvher throwing 100 or 80 for that matter. You dont see out of shape runners we see out of shape golfers daily. If your money inside of 100 yards and can putt which everyone can do scratch is possible

If you dont think so give me a year or two and I will teach you or your kid ;)

[quote name='90isagoodday' timestamp='1405731761' post='9732199']

[/quote]

[/quote]

agreed

[quote name='Tcombs0914' timestamp='1405779083' post='9734897'][quote name='4Par' timestamp='1405732731' post='9732317']

[/quote]

[/quote]

WEll there are a lot more scratch golfers than people who throw 100 so obviously it isnt that simple. Being I was a pro baseball player now a pro golfer theres a huge difference in what your comparing. Golf you can better yourself daily. If started young enough anything is "possible" even with limited hand eye coordination and the understanding that they will never hit it 300 yards but a short on plane swing with a superior short game they can be a scratch.

Yes golf is a sport but you dont see a overweight pitvher throwing 100 or 80 for that matter. You dont see out of shape runners we see out of shape golfers daily. If your money inside of 100 yards and can putt which everyone can do scratch is possible

If you dont think so give me a year or two and I will teach you or your kid ;)[/quote]

Hmmmm.... Congrats on making it so far in baseball!! And Golf!!!

My feeling is that golf requires a unique set of skills that are athletic.... Sure it's a different athletic than runners or soccer players or basketball or baseball..... But it's athletic all the same. Muscles doing something in a proper manner over the course of a round....

Hell, like I said, I went from 6 to 3.7 and there's NO WAY I was getting much better! But if you're ever in CNY I'll spring for a round and you can prove me wrong and put me on the path to 0.0...... My son will get there on his own if he stops overthinking simple shots....

[quote name='Tcombs0914' timestamp='1405779083' post='9734897']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? Since I know quite a few would you consider Sabathia and physical specimen? Since I know him and used to golf with him Ill tell you he is not.

You are dreaming BTW. How do you have limited hand eye but then also possess a superior shortgame? Ill go ahead and answer it for you, you don't. Again you are dreaming . Ill say it again, look around and look at the question that was asked.

You also keep changing your criteria for what creates a scrathc golfer.
"[i]An on-plane swing, [u]hips/arms/hands firing in the proper sequence[/u], [u]a [b]minor[/b] amount of hand eye coordination[/u], and [u][b]some[/b] touch [/u]around the greens, that's it"[/i]

You do realize that not everyone has the ability to do those things at a level high enough to reach scratch dont you?

You can teach all day long and have someone hit as many balls as you like but it is not possible to make [u][b]anyone [/b][/u]scratch.

[quote name='4Par' timestamp='1405779987' post='9735003']
[quote name='Tcombs0914' timestamp='1405779083' post='9734897'][quote name='4Par' timestamp='1405732731' post='9732317']

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you dont think so give me a year or two and I will teach you or your kid ;)[/quote]

Hmmmm.... Congrats on making it so far in baseball!! And Golf!!!

My feeling is that golf requires a unique set of skills that are athletic.... Sure it's a different athletic than runners or soccer players or basketball or baseball..... But it's athletic all the same. Muscles doing something in a proper manner over the course of a round....

Hell, like I said, I went from 6 to 3.7 and there's NO WAY I was getting much better! But if you're ever in CNY I'll spring for a round and you can prove me wrong and put me on the path to 0.0...... My son will get there on his own if he stops overthinking simple shots....
[/quote]

Sounds like a plan
and like I said in my first post I flip flopped on this topic. there are some variables to this.

Remind your son keep the simple simple its still a game so just play. got to find the balance between concentration and over thinking, I wish him the best

[quote name='buckeyefl' timestamp='1405781363' post='9735179']
[quote name='Tcombs0914' timestamp='1405779083' post='9734897']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? Since I know quite a few would you consider Sabathia and physical specimen?

You are dreaming BTW. How do you have limited hand eye but then also possess a superior shortgame? Ill go ahead and answer it for you, you don't. Again you are dreaming . Ill say it again, look around and look at the question that was asked.

You can teach all day long and hit as many balls as you like but it is not possible to make [u][b]anyone [/b][/u]scratch.
[/quote]

Does he throw 100? no but I understand your point.
When I look around I see people who play 3 times a year who do not have the time or money or will to want to be a scratch.

The question was "is it possible?"

I cant compare myself to the average golfer so my story doesnt count. but I have a student who has dropped from a 15 to a 2 in 2 years and he is 58 he will be a scratch soon.
So i believe in my dream world it is possible especially oif your working with a clean slate

those who are 40 and want to be a scratch good luck I will give you that but for everyone born today it is possible hahahaha

I hear a lot about talent,hours,hard work and practice being a formula for scratch golf.One thing I never hear about is DESIRE.I feel that this is the heart and soul of improvement in any area of life.Without it,you will NOT improve.I believe attaining the level of scratch is attainable to anybody that truly "desires" it,period! And let's face it,most of us average Joe's "think" we desire it,but the truth is that most of just desire to improve more toward a respectable level of golf.The reason is because we all have many other priorities in life that come WAY before golf.How about eating for starters,or paying the mortgage/rent.
I also believe that a certain level of raw talent must be present in order for a person to desire a scratch level which most guys don't have.Dreaming is a good thing but being realistic is much more important.

Scratch isn't that good... People act like it's the holy grail. If you start playing at 55, yeah it's probably gonna be pretty difficult. Start when you're 20? Shouldn't be a problem. If you're scratch, that's equivalent in performance to the average high school player for competitive teams. I'm pretty sure anyone can reach that level of play assuming they don't run out of time or have physical limitations.

Yeah it's going to take some time, but when has getting good at anything not taken time? Possible is much different than likely to achieve... 95 percent of people don't put in the time needed...

I think genetics plays a big part in it. If you don't have great hand eye coordination you will never be a great ball striker no matter how much you practice. You have to be hard wired correctly to get to that level, not to say you can't play well and enjoy the game of golf, but to be consistent to the point of a scratch golfer will not happen without the right genes.

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1405820952' post='9738313']
Scratch isn't that good... People act like it's the holy grail. If you start playing at 55, yeah it's probably gonna be pretty difficult. Start when you're 20? Shouldn't be a problem. If you're scratch, that's equivalent in performance to the average high school player for competitive teams. I'm pretty sure anyone can reach that level of play assuming they don't run out of time or have physical limitations.

Yeah it's going to take some time, but when has getting good at anything not taken time? Possible is much different than likely to achieve... 95 percent of people don't put in the time needed...
[/quote]Please don't listen to this rubbish…scratch is,in fact,very good.

Whatever works.