2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

G-MEN UNITE

ShortSticks

16 hours ago, Nessism said:

Put the new 425's in the bending machine, and tweaked them to spec.  They were pretty close, but a few clubs were off a degree or so.  All good now.  

Watched a number of YouTube reviews of these clubs, some comparing them to the 430's.  By most accounts, the 430's are nicer. Better sound and feel.  I'm bummed about Ping's new direction with the lofts, though.  I just won't do a 41 degree PW.  NO, no, no!  The 425's may be the end of the road for Gmen like me.  It's a sad development.  We always have older models, though. 

My friend with the G2's, wants to reshaft them from R to S.  He hits the crap out of them, but it's gotten into his head that he needs S shafts.  I recommended some Nippon Modus 115's, and he bought them.  Another project coming soon.  

Hopefully Ping will address this next release with a true loft driven high launch model. Being data driven engineers they have to know there is a need.  The Mizuno 923 HLs are great irons. 

I've thought about creating my own by ordering an over length G430 7-GW set. 

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I got an awesome deal on some mint PXG 211’s and really like the look of them. Need to get into a simulator to compare. Anyone here that’s gone between 211’s and G irons want to tell me if I’m chasing the pretty girl for nothing and stick with my G30’s?

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

7 hours ago, MikeW2 said:

I got an awesome deal on some mint PXG 211’s and really like the look of them. Need to get into a simulator to compare. Anyone here that’s gone between 211’s and G irons want to tell me if I’m chasing the pretty girl for nothing and stick with my G30’s?

Ha, many of us have done it.  I've got a set of Gen3 XP's...that I never play.  Anyone want a set of PXG's?  Better than new!  They look great and feel even better when you nut them, but they don't have the forgiveness, or farm implement goodness of a good set of G's!  

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

1 minute ago, Nessism said:

Ha, many of us have done it.  I've got a set of Gen3 XP's...that I never play.  Anyone want a set of PXG's?  Better than new!  They look great and feel even better when you nut them, but they don't have the forgiveness, or farm implement goodness of a good set of G's!  

I’ve got to get into a simulator to actually hit them but you’ve just stated what my concern was, the forgiveness. They really do look nice though, thankfully I’m self aware enough to play the more forgiving irons…is what I need to keep telling myself.

Ping Tour 60* wedge

On 1/22/2024 at 1:47 AM, Nessism said:

Watched a number of YouTube reviews of these clubs, some comparing them to the 430's.  By most accounts, the 430's are nicer. Better sound and feel.  I'm bummed about Ping's new direction with the lofts, though.  I just won't do a 41 degree PW.  NO, no, no!  The 425's may be the end of the road for Gmen like me.  It's a sad development.  We always have older models, though. 

I was going to say what about retro lofts as the 4 and 7 don’t seem to dissimilar to my g410, but the pw is still 41.5 according to the ping website. Bearing in mind I carry my 4 iron, changing to g430 would mean dropping something to fit a club between my pw and uw as I’m already at 14 clubs. 

Edited by philly2kuk

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Taylormade Rescue Dual TP 19 S300
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

8 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I was going to say what about retro lofts as the 4 and 7 don’t seem to dissimilar to my g410, but the pw is still 41.5 according to the ping website. Bearing in mind I carry my 4 iron, changing to g430 would mean dropping something to fit a club between my pw and uw as I’m already at 14 clubs. 

If you were to power spec the 5 iron, and get them to tweak the 6 iron a half degree strong, you'd have a nice array of lofts from the 5i to the 50* that somewhat mimic the G30s.  

That said, I'm on board with the "41* PW is a new level of goofy."

Stating the obvious, what they've done is move away from the 5* gaps in the short irons, which necessitates the addition of the extra club in the short iron / wedge portion of the set...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

22 hours ago, Nessism said:

Yesterday was G2 rebuild day. Nippon Modus 115 S shafts and Ping ID-8 grips.  One of my playing partners clubs.  We built off a 38" 5-iron, and the swingweights came out great.  Very consistent at D2.  No tip weights needed at all.  We hard stepped the shafts 1X, because the shafts were 4-P, and he plays 3-P.  For the P, I found a TT Dynamic Lite PW shaft, which is a good match weight wise.  Swingweight for that club came in at D4.  A very enjoyable build.  And no ferrules to monkey around with!  

Today was the first G425 round.  I hit some good shots...and a few stinkers.  Those weren't the clubs fault, though.  So far, I like them.  The sound was better than I remembered.  The worst aspect of sound is the clubs clanking in the bag.  I have a bag that separates the clubs, so they don't chatter, much, but in the occasions when they do, they sound sort of hollow.  I think these are going to be fine, sound wise, as long as medium to soft balls are used. 

Nice, what ball do you play with these? I need to do a little research and find a softer ball to play with the 425's. They are pretty clanky.

I play Vice Pro Soft and an old stash of B’stone TreoSoft’s. They feel, and sound fine with my G425’s. I just sent the irons in to Ping to have them relofted to the power specs numbers. I’ve been playing them with a -1* factory loft throughout the bag and was disappointed with the loss of distance compared to my old Eye2’s.

I have found a softer compression ball works well with the irons.

We’ll see…………

• Like 1

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

On 1/22/2024 at 1:48 PM, MikeW2 said:

i did this comparison (0211 vs G30) last spring and couldn’t see a reason to switch based on the numbers. They do look great though!

• Like 1

Hey all... Just introducing myself and wanted to ask a question for those with experience...

I have played G2's with DGX shafts for 20 years. I tried to switch to a different brand/etc. this year. But, I really love my Pings and am coming back... I recently bought G30's with CFS regular shafts on ebay, I swapped out my shafts. But, the head weights and swing weight in some of the clubs are different than I am used to.... What I have learned is that I am very sensitive to the weight and swing weight of Ping D0-D2.

So.. My question is for those who know is what shaft did you land on and why, when making the switch? I realize for some it's been a long time since you did this. But, I hope to learn from your experience. 

Thanks for your feedback!

On 1/29/2024 at 2:21 PM, bifftaco said:

Nice, what ball do you play with these? I need to do a little research and find a softer ball to play with the 425's. They are pretty clanky.

I've been playing Yellow Kirkland V3's, Z-Stars, and Wilson Duo-U, lately.  The Wilson's are nice with the 425's because they are so soft.  A Chrome Soft or similar would be a good target.  Anything from average to soft is my target.  I hate "X" balls.  I'm not good enough to hit the center of the face with every shot, and X balls sound really clanky if you miss the sweet spot.

• Like 3

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Thinking about picking up my first set of G's... Playing a set of Callaway XRs right now, but always wanted a set of Pings. A G5 8 iron caught my eye in a used bin and (much to my surprise) my first thought was "that's how an iron should look". Took it to a hitting bay and kept dropping shots right on the number I'd expect for the loft. If I can find a set in my specs, they might go straight in the bag...

22 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Thinking about picking up my first set of G's... Playing a set of Callaway XRs right now, but always wanted a set of Pings. A G5 8 iron caught my eye in a used bin and (much to my surprise) my first thought was "that's how an iron should look". Took it to a hitting bay and kept dropping shots right on the number I'd expect for the loft. If I can find a set in my specs, they might go straight in the bag...

Plunge taken and I'll be eagerly watching shipping... Found a set at my length and within one color code. I'm thinking I'll play through the U wedge and add an Eye2 sandwedge (maybe send it into Ping for a matching guyson finish?) to round things out. Always like a 52/58 setup and this gets close enough. These will be going in the bag with a G2 Tess putter and probably a G20 17* hybrid as a "2 iron". 

Now the fact that I don't have a Ping driver is going to bug me . . .

• Like 2

Well after 14 years of g irons I’m off to test something slightly smaller with higher lofts soon. Sure I may lose a club in distance but as a low spin player I struggle to get my g irons to stick on a green. Most likely to switch to I series as that’s what I want for last time before deciding to play g410 as I didn’t think I’d play as much over last four years. I’m even considering some older clubs for a laugh such as i25/i200.

I will of course feedback if I’m to leave this club after over a decade.

• Like 2

Taylormade TP5x

9 hours ago, Fiddlesticks said:

Plunge taken and I'll be eagerly watching shipping... Found a set at my length and within one color code. I'm thinking I'll play through the U wedge and add an Eye2 sandwedge (maybe send it into Ping for a matching guyson finish?) to round things out. Always like a 52/58 setup and this gets close enough. These will be going in the bag with a G2 Tess putter and probably a G20 17* hybrid as a "2 iron". 

Now the fact that I don't have a Ping driver is going to bug me . . .

Since you're going " old school " not hard to find a decent priced good shape G20 driver. Mine was straight down the middle and long back then. ☺

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

Since you're going " old school " not hard to find a decent priced good shape G20 driver. Mine was straight down the middle and long back then. ☺

You read my mind - if the irons work out as hoped I think a G20 driver is about a lock to make the bag at some point. Maybe I can put the wrenches away and just play golf 🙂

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Fiddlesticks said:

You read my mind - if the irons work out as hoped I think a G20 driver is about a lock to make the bag at some point. Maybe I can put the wrenches away and just play golf 🙂

I always think of this when I think of older Ping drivers.  I realize this is several years old now, but I still find it rather telling....

edited to add:  the ballspeed bump for the G400 is in part due to his swinging that club a full mph faster on average than the other four.

From Rick Shiels' "five years of Ping drivers" video:

image.png.8585d26bfbc5582aeb8e37364e3a4d8b.png

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

12 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I always think of this when I think of older Ping drivers.  I realize this is several years old now, but I still find it rather telling....

edited to add:  the ballspeed bump for the G400 is in part due to his swinging that club a full mph faster on average than the other four.

From Rick Shiels' "five years of Ping drivers" video:

image.png.8585d26bfbc5582aeb8e37364e3a4d8b.png

Rick Shiels consistently says he averages 280 carry even now.. so that shows you can play a G20 quite happily and the vid is old now.

• Like 1

Taylormade TP5x

On 2/13/2024 at 6:51 AM, philly2kuk said:

Well after 14 years of g irons I’m off to test something slightly smaller with higher lofts soon. Sure I may lose a club in distance but as a low spin player I struggle to get my g irons to stick on a green. Most likely to switch to I series as that’s what I want for last time before deciding to play g410 as I didn’t think I’d play as much over last four years. I’m even considering some older clubs for a laugh such as i25/i200.

I will of course feedback if I’m to leave this club after over a decade.

Well after 14 years I’m leaving the g club. Tried the new g430 irons as wanted a bit more height and it truly went higher than the g410 I have with no loss of distance. However I’ve had enough of the big heads so switched to p790s as they slightly smaller. Going to be odd looking at a non ping iron after all that time.

Who knows, I may be back in future. The G range will always have a soft spot for me.

Edited by philly2kuk
  • Like 2

Taylormade TP5x

Personally, I feel one might as well play the G710s or hybrids to a 6H/7H (depending on the OEM) or something smaller (with high lofted fairways or whatever into the mid-20s).

I haven't really liked anything past the G25s / G30s, but it is hard to complain about feel or looks when talking about G710s or hybrids.  At the end of the day, most people playing these types of clubs are going to miss more shots than they hit perfectly, so there is nothing wrong with high/straight and extra help.

8 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

Well after 14 years I’m leaving the g club. Tried the new g430 irons as wanted a bit more height and it truly went higher than the g410 I have with no loss of distance. However I’ve had enough of the big heads so switched to p790s as they slightly smaller. Going to be odd looking at a non ping iron after all that time.

Who knows, I may be back in future. The G range will always have a soft spot for me.

You’ll be back, we always eventually find our way back 😂. In the meantime, enjoy the 790’s

• Thanks 1

Ping Tour 60* wedge

21 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

To keep your "G card" just need one G club in the bag....

• Like 1

Just now, Ghostwedge said:

To keep your "G card" just need one G club in the bag....

I’ve got a ping g 5 wood. Does that count?

• Like 2

Taylormade TP5x

2 hours ago, Ghostwedge said:

That counts ! Up until a few years ago I had an all Ping bag. Now its just a G430 driver. The headline is "G-Men Unite"

Then technically I’m still in….

Taylormade TP5x

On 2/14/2024 at 12:33 PM, philly2kuk said:

See you when you get back 

• Haha 1

PING G425 4-UW/SW/Black Dot +1” Alta CB RFlex/ChipR

PING G410 Plus DRIVER 10.5*/3W 14*/3hyb.19*/5W 17.5/9W 22*

PING Putter Custom PLD Anser 4J Proto / Odyssey TriHot #3

VICE Pro Soft Lime Green / Bridgestone Rx-TreoSoft

58 minutes ago, Motoboss said:

See you when you get back 

4 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

Then technically I’m still in….

He never left, only thought he was out and that was just for a few hours.

Ping Tour 60* wedge

1 minute ago, MikeW2 said:

He never left, only thought he was out and that was just for a few hours.

Well apparently my five wood still counts. I thought this group was related to G irons only.

• Like 1

Taylormade TP5x